PDA

View Full Version : Cycle of Lies (Macur book)

LegendRider
03-10-2014, 08:03 AM
Just finished Juliet Macur's book and I didn't think it was possible to have a lower opinion of Armstrong, but alas, I do... Good grief, the guy is a bonafide sociopath.

By the way, if you're sick of the story - and I don't blame you - no need to tell everyone that you're done with it and anyone who discusses Armstrong is beating a dead horse. ;)

carpediemracing
03-10-2014, 08:16 AM
Look I'm done with it and you're just beating a dead horse when you discuss Armstrong.

:)

I'm actually interested in reading that book. Not sure why either, but I think it's related to me wanting to read/understand stuff that fascinate me. I read books about WW2 (and in particular the European/panzer side of things). The war is long past, there is very little to apply to the current world, yet I will read a book cover to cover a few times to glean a few more interesting tidbits, like a significant reduction in the count of tanks on a given side in a given battle, the ratio of particular models of tanks to others, or details of individual fights in the middle of a big battle.

I talked to the Missus about it, how even though I had a negative opinion of him for a long time I still took the opportunity to have him sign a poster for me late in his career (2009? it was literally 30 minutes or so after Lemond confronted him at Interbike, and ironically I also got Lemond's autograph later that Interbike). I also have some other items related to Armstrong (early leader's jersey signed by him, Rose ride poster, etc) and I didn't go and burn them or anything like that.

I'd like to be able to say hi to Floyd as well. Tyler also. More them than the others, for some reason. Not so much Vino, for example, or the guy that tested at 63% recently.

CunegoFan
03-10-2014, 08:25 AM
I'd like to be able to say hi to Floyd as well. Tyler also. More them than the others, for some reason. Not so much Vino, for example, or the guy that tested at 63% recently.

Floyd is a great guy to talk to. He is a good guy who did some bad things. Armstrong is a bad guy who did a lot of bad things.

The thing that surprises me about Armstrong is how he has miscalculated at about every step of the way since 2009. He has barely missed a chance to screw up.

oldpotatoe
03-10-2014, 08:56 AM
Look I'm done with it and you're just beating a dead horse when you discuss Armstrong.

:)

I'm actually interested in reading that book. Not sure why either, but I think it's related to me wanting to read/understand stuff that fascinate me. I read books about WW2 (and in particular the European/panzer side of things). The war is long past, there is very little to apply to the current world, yet I will read a book cover to cover a few times to glean a few more interesting tidbits, like a significant reduction in the count of tanks on a given side in a given battle, the ratio of particular models of tanks to others, or details of individual fights in the middle of a big battle.

I talked to the Missus about it, how even though I had a negative opinion of him for a long time I still took the opportunity to have him sign a poster for me late in his career (2009? it was literally 30 minutes or so after Lemond confronted him at Interbike, and ironically I also got Lemond's autograph later that Interbike). I also have some other items related to Armstrong (early leader's jersey signed by him, Rose ride poster, etc) and I didn't go and burn them or anything like that.

What's going on in Crimea is directly related to what happened in Europe during and after WWII

carpediemracing
03-10-2014, 01:09 PM
What's going on in Crimea is directly related to what happened in Europe during and after WWII

Yes, point taken. I should clarify. I read about the non-political stuff regarding WW2, the technical tactical stuff, the stuff that, in the heat of the moment, are independent of outside factors. The reason for the attacks etc are political but to quote/paraphrase from Blackhawk Down "politics goes out the window when the bullets start flying".

It's sort of like reading about the attacks, chases, etc, of the 1999 Tour. The exist on their own but there's a larger picture involving, say, Armstrong testing for cortisone or whatever other stuff happened outside the actual racing.

Fixed
03-10-2014, 01:42 PM
Speaking of books anyone read half bike half man
Merckx story
I saw it at a book store had it in my hand but the the store employee insulted me so left it there ,book stores today should be very polite to customers .
I am ordering from amazon .
Cheers

bikingshearer
03-10-2014, 02:55 PM
Speaking of books anyone read half bike half man
Merckx story
I saw it at a book store had it in my hand but the the store employee insulted me so left it there ,book stores today should be very polite to customers .
I am ordering from amazon .
Cheers

Well worth the read.

VA-Scooter
03-10-2014, 03:16 PM
Merckx story is a great read.