PDA

View Full Version : Campagnolo Racing Triple on race bike opinions....

gmcampy
03-10-2014, 06:54 AM
Im am debating installing a Campagnolo 8 speed Racing Triple on my dedicated Race bike. Current set up is 53/39 with 12/26. Many of the races/rides here have some big climbs. If I do not use the Triple I have a second bike with compact/28. I would prefer to keep the second bike as a "climbing" bike only and NOT race it.

Any opinions on the Triple? Were they "actually" used in the day on "race" bikes? Im am trying to keep this build REALLY close to period correct. )thus the reason fo not installing a compact :) )

Glenn

oldpotatoe
03-10-2014, 07:04 AM
Im am debating installing a Campagnolo 8 speed Racing Triple on my dedicated Race bike. Current set up is 53/39 with 12/26. Many of the races/rides here have some big climbs. If I do not use the Triple I have a second bike with compact/28. I would prefer to keep the second bike as a "climbing" bike only and NOT race it.

Any opinions on the Triple? Were they "actually" used in the day on "race" bikes? Im am trying to keep this build REALLY close to period correct. )thus the reason fo not installing a compact :) )

Glenn

You will need a triple front der, and enough chain for big-big combos(may be droopy in small-small) or a long cage rear der..Not a lot of triples used on 'race' bikes by true professionals, meaning Europe and the big-boy races in the era of road triples BUT if it gets the gearing you want, then why not?

No real 'payback' with a triple, no real 'cost', other than the knuckleheads around you who may give you a hard time..

ergott
03-10-2014, 07:16 AM
I have a 10 speed Record triple setup I'm probably selling off. It was a project I did last year for D2R2, but I've since made other arrangements. That leaves me with a full build ready to go. Most was NOS and only ridden a couple of times.

edit. Just read you want period parts, nevermind.

christian
03-10-2014, 07:26 AM
Eric - hit me up on that Record triple set up; I could probably use everything but the cranks for Ivy's Trek.

ergott
03-10-2014, 07:48 AM
Eric - hit me up on that Record triple set up; I could probably use everything but the cranks for Ivy's Trek.

ergottwheels@gmail.com We'll figure something out.

thirdgenbird
03-10-2014, 08:40 AM
I've got an 8spd racing triple setup (derailleurs, crankset, bb) I would consider swapping for a compact double setup if conditions were correct.

veloduffer
03-10-2014, 08:57 AM
Use the triple. I have a Campy 10 speed triple only gravel-day tourer Kish and it works great.

The last time I heard the pros use a triple was a few years ago when the Vuelta included the terrible Agrilu in the Pyrenees when it was forecast to be wet. Besides being difficult, rear wheel traction was an issue.

RedRider
03-10-2014, 09:58 AM
There are race considerations to be considered. I don't know any neutral support that carries wheels for any 8 speed never mind Campy. Most teams like to run the same groups so they can assist each other and it's rare to see older components on race bikes when Rival and 105 work better than older stuff.
If your race courses need triple gearing buy a compact with up to a 32 cassette.

gmcampy
03-10-2014, 10:05 AM
There are race considerations to be considered. I don't know any neutral support that carries wheels for any 8 speed never mind Campy. Most teams like to run the same groups so they can assist each other and it's rare to see older components on race bikes when Rival and 105 work better than older stuff.
If your race courses need triple gearing buy a compact with up to a 32 cassette.

I'm a cat 5 racer in my first year of racing and Im 55 years old. Spare parts for my bike is not an issue, LOL. Im sticking to 8 speed cause its what I have plenty of and its TOUGH as nails.

I already have the cranks the FD and a Mid length RD that has worked on another bike so equipment is not the issue...per se.

Glenn

RedRider
03-10-2014, 10:15 AM
I'm a cat 5 racer in my first year of racing and Im 55 years old. Spare parts for my bike is not an issue, LOL. Im sticking to 8 speed cause its what I have plenty of and its TOUGH as nails.

I already have the cranks the FD and a Mid length RD that has worked on another bike so equipment is not the issue...per se.

Glenn

Cool. Good luck this season.

Ralph
03-10-2014, 10:24 AM
I don't see how it will slow you down any. The smaller cassette it lets you run probably saves you more weight than the few grams the small ring and fixing bolts add. And using a 42-52 (or 42-53) most of the time is nice. I run a Record Triple on one of my bikes a lot. The only down side I am aware of is the wider Q, and if that doesn't bother you, then no problem.

As I recall.....all the Campy triples after the Racing T's were equal Q both sides (for want of a better way to say it), but some of the early Racing T cranks were out further on the drive side than the other side. I know my 2004 Record triple is equal both sides, but a 8 speed Racing T I had once was not equal both sides. That bothered me.

shovelhd
03-10-2014, 07:49 PM
As long as you mark your wheels with your name and/or bib number, most neutral support facilities will let you put your own wheels in. Just don't forget your spare set.

gmcampy
03-11-2014, 05:44 AM
Thanks for all of the replies, Im going to switch over to a compact crank and keep things simple. I forgot to take into account my BB would also need to be replaced, finding thew correct BB with Italian threads is a PIA, besides the Phill Woods currently installed has less than 200 miles on it :).

oldpotatoe
03-11-2014, 07:11 AM
Thanks for all of the replies, Im going to switch over to a compact crank and keep things simple. I forgot to take into account my BB would also need to be replaced, finding thew correct BB with Italian threads is a PIA, besides the Phill Woods currently installed has less than 200 miles on it :).

Jim@vecchios.com has all the Campagnolo and Phil(rings) in both BSC and the far superior Italian threading. Mailorder/inter web does not Market availability make.

Calnago
03-11-2014, 08:22 AM
@Oldpotatoe: I've only made a few posts to this forum but read it fairly regularly and generally like and agree with what you have to say. But I've seen you use the "far superior Italian threading" in reference to bottom brackets before and just thought you were being funny or sarcastic. But now that I see it again I have to ask... Do you really believe Italian threads are superior? And if so, why? I say it's exactly the opposite. I've seen more than one spin out of the BB due to 1) not being quite tight enough combined with 2) the directional forces of the spinning bearings against the surfaces of the BB (admittedly more applicable to older style BB's before cartridge type).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldpotatoe
03-11-2014, 08:30 AM
@Oldpotatoe: I've only made a few posts to this forum but read it fairly regularly and generally like and agree with what you have to say. But I've seen you use the "far superior Italian threading" in reference to bottom brackets before and just thought you were being funny or sarcastic. But now that I see it again I have to ask... Do you really believe Italian threads are superior? And if so, why? I say it's exactly the opposite. I've seen more than one spin out of the BB due to 1) not being quite tight enough combined with 2) the directional forces of the spinning bearings against the surfaces of the BB (admittedly more applicable to older style BB's before cartridge type).

Why because it's Italiano, of course. All things of and about Italia are 'far superior'. Cars, motorcycles, vino, art, clothing and of course, BB threading.

Of Course it's tongue in cheek, I have been saying this for over a decade.

Bikes! Italia, the center of the universe for all things 'bike'.

Calnago
03-11-2014, 08:32 AM
Ok then, just as long as I know you weren't being serious, all is good.
Ciao! :)

Ralph
03-11-2014, 11:43 AM
All you need is a 111 Centaur BB for the Racing T. Easily found. About $70.

thwart
03-11-2014, 12:56 PM
Is it 111 or 115 mm?

I know that I have a 115 mm AC-H BB in the vastly (and undoubtedly) superior Italian threaded option gathering dust somewhere...

oldpotatoe
03-11-2014, 01:02 PM
Ok then, just as long as I know you weren't being serious, all is good.
Ciao! :)

I am serious, as serious as one should be about toys.

I would rather walk than have a BSC(or BB30, yuk!!) bottom bracket.

fiamme red
03-11-2014, 01:20 PM
I am serious, as serious as one should be about toys.

I would rather walk than have a BSC(or BB30, yuk!!) bottom bracket.For some a bicycle isn't a toy but transportation, and then BSC is preferable, of course.

Ralph
03-11-2014, 01:57 PM
Is it 111 or 115 mm?

I know that I have a 115 mm AC-H BB in the vastly (and undoubtedly) superior Italian threaded option gathering dust somewhere...

I used 111 (Athena and Centaur symetrical) with the Racing T I had. Used it with 28.6 and 32 MM seat tubes. 35 MM use 115.5 or use 115.5 if you have front shift problems (down shifting to small ring) with 32 MM. According to Campy info sheet....which I believe is good advice. Much prefer the lowest Q I can get from triple. Prefer the 111 as long as it works. Current black Centaur is nice BB. Available It or Eng, 111 or 115.5.

thirdgenbird
03-11-2014, 02:23 PM
I think early racing T cranksets had different bb specs.

oldpotatoe
03-11-2014, 03:00 PM
For some a bicycle isn't a toy but transportation, and then BSC is preferable, of course.

Merckx=(toy+transportation)x(Italiano BB)=bliss

oldpotatoe
03-11-2014, 03:01 PM
I think early racing T cranksets had different bb specs.

No, all were the 111 or 115.5 for fatter seat tubes.

fiamme red
03-11-2014, 03:03 PM
Merckx=(toy+transportation)x(Italiano BB)=blissA mechanic at my bike shop didn't tighten the new Campagnolo b.b. enough on my Merckx, and I nearly got stuck miles from civilization when the b.b. starting creeping out. I managed to ride back, but only after putting a deep gouge in the crank.

ergott
03-11-2014, 03:09 PM
Racing T uses the 110.5mm asymmetrical from Phil Wood.

oldpotatoe
03-11-2014, 03:55 PM
A mechanic at my bike shop didn't tighten the new Campagnolo b.b. enough on my Merckx, and I nearly got stuck miles from civilization when the b.b. starting creeping out. I managed to ride back, but only after putting a deep gouge in the crank.

Poor wrenching, IMHO. Does BSC reduce the dreaded loose cup syndrome ? Yep but proper frame prep and BB install does too, with........the far superior Italian theading.

Calnago
03-11-2014, 04:22 PM
For the record, all joking aside, there is nothing superior about Italian threaded bottom brackets vs English threaded BB's. However, if it's a choice between either threaded or any pressfit concoction, I'd take threaded any day of the week, even Italian. Just make sure it's tight cuz it will unscrew itself if it isn't, unlike the far superior English threaded. :)

oldpotatoe
03-11-2014, 04:56 PM
For the record, all joking aside, there is nothing superior about Italian threaded bottom brackets vs English threaded BB's. However, if it's a choice between either threaded or any pressfit concoction, I'd take threaded any day of the week, even Italian. Just make sure it's tight cuz it will unscrew itself if it isn't, unlike the far superior English threaded. :)

Ha ha ha ha......mostly it's a prepped frame, tight RH cup and good adjustment, on the far superior Italian design cup and ball square taper.....BB.

Don't get sweated up, just funnin' wit ya.

Calnago
03-11-2014, 05:13 PM
I'm with ya... right up until the "far superior" nonsense... because due to how the bearings interface with the cups, an Italian thread will want to loosen while an English thread will want to tighten. Thus if the cups are at all loose (and I agree they shouldn't be, but sometimes stuff happens), an Italian threaded BB will tend to unscrew itself during riding while an English threaded one would not. Hence, for this reason, the English threads are far superior. Not talking about square taper or anything like that, simply the tendency of an Italian thread to loosen rather than tighten.

Not gettin' sweated up Oldpotato... just still not sure if you actually are being serious or not when you say the Italian threads are superior. Crackin' up actually. :)

oldpotatoe
03-11-2014, 05:18 PM
I'm with ya... right up until the "far superior" nonsense... because due to how the bearings interface with the cups, an Italian thread will want to loosen while an English thread will want to tighten. Thus if the cups are at all loose (and I agree they shouldn't be, but sometimes stuff happens), an Italian threaded BB will tend to unscrew itself during riding while an English threaded one would not. Hence, for this reason, the English threads are far superior. Not talking about square taper or anything like that, simply the tendency of an Italian thread to loosen rather than tighten.

Big sigh.....think I'll go out and adjust my Italian BB, I think the cup is loose.

Yikes, I said 6 posts ago it was all tongue in cheek.

And, anything Italian is far superior, over and out.

Calnago
03-11-2014, 05:19 PM
Doube big sigh... Don't get all sweated up. I'm all about all things Italian too... except for those damn threads.

oldpotatoe
03-11-2014, 05:22 PM
Doube big sigh... Don't get all sweated up. I'm all about all things Italian too... except for those damn threads.

It's Colnago......

thirdgenbird
03-11-2014, 05:32 PM
No, all were the 111 or 115.5 for fatter seat tubes.

Interesting. I've got an 8sod racing t on my wife's centurion ironman with what I thought was a 115.5 bb and it doesn't look like there would be enough chainring clearance with a 111mm. Maybe it was in the wrong box or mismarked. Now I want to take it apart and measure.

Calnago
03-11-2014, 06:07 PM
It's Colnago......

LOL... yes, my name is Cal... folks whose bikes I've worked on coined that nickname because I'm such a Colnago fan.

No worries... Kinda wish in hindsight I had a different username because Colnago isn't the only brand I like, just my favorite. I'm not assuming your a potato from your username, just old.
Laugh with me, pleased... :)

Ralph
03-11-2014, 07:08 PM
Racing T uses the 110.5mm asymmetrical from Phil Wood.

Uses Phil 110.5 symetrical or Campy 111 symetrical. Asymetrical Phil 110.5's (or Campy 111 asymetrical) is for later Record and Chorus triples.

oldpotatoe
03-11-2014, 07:38 PM
LOL... yes, my name is Cal... folks whose bikes I've worked on coined that nickname because I'm such a Colnago fan.

No worries... Kinda wish in hindsight I had a different username because Colnago isn't the only brand I like, just my favorite. I'm not assuming your a potato from your username, just old.
Laugh with me, pleased... :)

I'm actually a big fan of Dan Quayle, he was far superior in many ways.