PDA

View Full Version : Heads Up: Bill Holland All-Carbon Frames!

Jeff N.
03-10-2014, 06:47 AM
Pretty big news! I recently was in touch with Bill Holland and he told me about his collaboration with Mike Lopez (former producer of tubing/lugs for the Serotta Meivici) in producing an all new carbon frame for his line-up! The frame will no doubt be STUNNING! No pics yet but the prototype is now in the works, according to Bill. Looking forward to seeing one in the flesh. Jeff N.

Joachim
03-10-2014, 06:55 AM
A Hollavici?

ptourkin
03-10-2014, 08:28 AM
A Hollavici?
:banana:
It's called the HC and was officially announced at the grand opening party for the new showroom a few weeks ago. A signed, limited run is being done for repeat customers first called the HC Signature. They are completely custom and lugged.
Mike Lopez has been doing their carbon forks for a while.

Take a look: http://2014.handmadebicycleshow.com/exhibitor/hollandcycles/#holland-hc-signature-bicycle

wallymann
03-10-2014, 09:00 AM
lugs...very nice!

http://2014.handmadebicycleshow.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/HCSIGFrtqrt-1200x1006.png
http://2014.handmadebicycleshow.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/HCSIGbackqrt.png

Joachim
03-10-2014, 09:17 AM
The shape of the down tube at the BB reminds me of the new C60.

pdxharth
03-10-2014, 09:27 AM
Is there anything about the nature of carbon or the manufacturing process (gluing, I suppose) that prevents those lugs from being more decorative?

A bit of flair to them has a lot of potential to differentiate from the many sleek, molded bikes we are so used to seeing (of course, I like them just fine, but something different would be cool).

Thanks,
Harth

CunegoFan
03-10-2014, 09:31 AM
It looks "blocky." A weird mixture of curves and flat sided sections.

wooly
03-10-2014, 09:34 AM
Is there anything about the nature of carbon or the manufacturing process (gluing, I suppose) that prevents those lugs from being more decorative?

A bit of flair to them has a lot of potential to differentiate from the many sleek, molded bikes we are so used to seeing (of course, I like them just fine, but something different would be cool).

Thanks,
Harth

No, i don't believe so. IF has used more detailed lug work on their carbon bike, Corvid. Check out their site.

Bob Ross
03-10-2014, 09:35 AM
Always thrilled to see a known & respected builder offering custom carbon.

I'm curious about this statement from that press release:

"4.Molded carbon fiber lugs precisely machined on CNC machining center for micro-perfect fit and angle."

So they're molded first and then machined? Doesn't machining an already-molded CF object compromise its structural integrity?

Jeff N.
03-10-2014, 09:39 AM
I'm curious about the BB. (BB30? Threaded?) and group compatibility (Electronic only? Mechanical? Buyer's choice?). Gonna have to stop by there and investigate.

cleavel
03-10-2014, 09:50 AM
Very tempting.

MattTuck
03-10-2014, 09:56 AM
Interesting... I remember that Mike Lopez and Bill Holland teamed up before on an exhibition bike with some pretty interesting Ti/Carbon design elements.

Does anyone know if Mike is still running the shop that was formerly Serotta Composites in Poway, CA? That was a pretty big shop, and I'm guessing that if he is still running it, that he is needing to team with builders to utilize that capacity.

Joachim
03-10-2014, 10:07 AM
Interesting... I remember that Mike Lopez and Bill Holland teamed up before on an exhibition bike with some pretty interesting Ti/Carbon design elements.

Does anyone know if Mike is still running the shop that was formerly Serotta Composites in Poway, CA? That was a pretty big shop, and I'm guessing that if he is still running it, that he is needing to team with builders to utilize that capacity.

AFAIK, Mike L doesn't need bike builders to utilize the capacity. He does a lot of composite work for other industries. I'm pretty sure that Serotta never owned the equipment either. Maybe Mike will chime in, but its somewhere in the forum archives.

wallymann
03-10-2014, 10:20 AM
its just a CAD rendering, i'm guessing the final product will be alot cleaner.

It looks "blocky." A weird mixture of curves and flat sided sections.

pdmtong
03-10-2014, 02:55 PM
Always thrilled to see a known & respected builder offering custom carbon.

I'm curious about this statement from that press release:

"4.Molded carbon fiber lugs precisely machined on CNC machining center for micro-perfect fit and angle."

So they're molded first and then machined? Doesn't machining an already-molded CF object compromise its structural integrity?

this is how meivici's were customized...mike explained this here previously.

John H.
03-10-2014, 03:26 PM
Is it weird that this frame appeals to me? (where a Mevici did not)?

wallymann
03-10-2014, 03:32 PM

not at all...those curved seat-stays on the mei-vici were a deal-killer for me.

pdmtong
03-10-2014, 04:18 PM

Me too

not at all...those curved seat-stays on the mei-vici were a deal-killer for me.

The holland has a much beefier DT and a more appealing headtube IMHO. Plus the flat ss and business looking CS just look better to me than the meivici

ultraman6970
03-10-2014, 05:27 PM
That drawn looks super nice, kind'a BMC'ish. Like it a lot, that bike will sell a lot and probably for a lot aswell.

Did not notice, Threaded BB or non threaded BB insanity?

ptourkin
03-11-2014, 03:25 PM
From their FB feed. This is the bike that's headed to NAHBS. I was told that the raw weave looked amazing, if you're into that.

MadRocketSci
03-11-2014, 03:31 PM
can someone ask bill if there's going to be a Jet (travel) version?

Hawker
03-11-2014, 03:51 PM
I does look a bit clunky, so I'll look for it at the show. I've found that most things like this look better in person.

I have a Look with carbon lugs so I don't mind lugs but that said...if I were looking for custom carbon the Landsharks sure look nice to me.

wallymann
03-11-2014, 04:29 PM
lugs look klunky. they need to be a bit more tapered/thinned as they blend into the tubes. maybe even make them slightly artfully pointed, a reference to old-school steel lugwork.
rear brake cable side-port exit in the seat-cluster is a no-no. lots of left legs will brush up against that, wearing holes into very expensive lycra. my buddy's vintage zullo has the same deal and it's just bad design.
i'd rather the seat-stays be a little more svelte, that squashed flat look me no likey. and honestly they look way overbuilt -- seatstays arent under that big a load right? assuming some sort of flattened profile, i'd rather they have a more aero orientation.
the wishbone area of the seat-stays is just so broad and flat, again would want a more svelte and possibly aero look.

looks like a Colnago C60 mated with a BMC Impec.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697877003&stc=1&d=1394573089

gregblow
03-11-2014, 07:29 PM
looks like a BMC or legos put together. Not my taste

ultraman6970
03-11-2014, 07:31 PM
Come on man, that frame is super schweet... Any knowledge of the price?

Steve in SLO
03-11-2014, 07:36 PM
For those who don't especially like the look, this may be a perfect example of form follows function.
All I can say is that anything Mike Lopez is involved with will be very, very nice. The man is a carbon fiber wizard. When I last spoke to him, he was working predominantly in the aerospace industry. It's exciting that he is back doing something in bikes with Bill Holland.

soulspinner
03-12-2014, 04:31 AM
The shape of the down tube at the BB reminds me of the new C60.

Thought the same thing when I saw it.........

happycampyer
03-12-2014, 05:18 AM
For those who don't especially like the look, this may be a perfect example of form follows function.
All I can say is that anything Mike Lopez is involved with will be very, very nice. The man is a carbon fiber wizard. When I last spoke to him, he was working predominantly in the aerospace industry. It's exciting that he is back doing something in bikes with Bill Holland.This cannot be overstated. It's one thing to make a bike that's cool looking (to someone). It's another thing to make a bike that rides well and, if it's customizable (in terms of stiffness and geo), getting the stiffness right. When it comes to understanding how to translate carbon layup into ride quality, there are few if any who know more than, and have more real-world experience as, Mike Lopez.

Climb01742
03-12-2014, 05:55 AM
It's all subjective and personal, but I dig the industrial, form and function look of the frame. Swoopy curves and aero stuff not my cup of tea. So as with most things, different flavors for different tastes.

And as has been alluded to, would love to hear Mike Lopez discuss the reasoning behind the design. Man knows his carbon.

Joachim
03-12-2014, 06:12 AM
Has anyone seen a price?

oldpotatoe
03-12-2014, 06:20 AM
I does look a bit clunky, so I'll look for it at the show. I've found that most things like this look better in person.

I have a Look with carbon lugs so I don't mind lugs but that said...if I were looking for custom carbon the Landsharks sure look nice to me.

BMC-ish...

RedRider
03-12-2014, 07:52 AM
This cannot be overstated. It's one thing to make a bike that's cool looking (to someone). It's another thing to make a bike that rides well and, if it's customizable (in terms of stiffness and geo), getting the stiffness right. When it comes to understanding how to translate carbon layup into ride quality, there are few if any who know more than, and have more real-world experience as, Mike Lopez.

This frame is very exciting and the Holland booth is now on the top of my list for NAHBS. Mike's knowledge needs no further explanation and it's great to see he's been able to pair up with Holland and once again push the envelope. His innovative hands were handcuffed in recent years at Serotta.

Fixed
03-12-2014, 08:16 AM
I like it too
it is a holland
Ti would be my choice
if I were ordering a frame
from him though
Cheers

Chris
03-12-2014, 08:17 AM
Has anyone seen a price?

$7700.00 for the signature model. $6400.00 for the HC.

Jeff N.
03-12-2014, 09:06 AM
$7700.00 for the signature model. $6400.00 for the HC.Not surprising...

wooly
03-12-2014, 09:09 AM
I've been a metal guy for a while but this could draw me back to the dark side. Plus Bill's shop is too close for comfort.

ptourkin
03-13-2014, 03:56 PM
lugs look klunky. they need to be a bit more tapered/thinned as they blend into the tubes. maybe even make them slightly artfully pointed, a reference to old-school steel lugwork.
rear brake cable side-port exit in the seat-cluster is a no-no. lots of left legs will brush up against that, wearing holes into very expensive lycra. my buddy's vintage zullo has the same deal and it's just bad design.
i'd rather the seat-stays be a little more svelte, that squashed flat look me no likey. and honestly they look way overbuilt -- seatstays arent under that big a load right? assuming some sort of flattened profile, i'd rather they have a more aero orientation.
the wishbone area of the seat-stays is just so broad and flat, again would want a more svelte and possibly aero look.

looks like a Colnago C60 mated with a BMC Impec.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697877003&stc=1&d=1394573089

Relax about the lugs. Those are plastic mockups for NAHBS.

Black Dog
03-13-2014, 04:09 PM
$7700.00 for the signature model. $6400.00 for the HC.

Will this evoke the same reaction to the price point that would have happened around here had this been an all carbon Serotta? :confused:

jblande
03-13-2014, 05:12 PM
Isn't a Parlee Z0 in the same price range?

Joachim
03-13-2014, 05:19 PM
Will this evoke the same reaction to the price point that would have happened around here had this been an all carbon Serotta? :confused:

Isn't the HC still 2k less than the previous Meivici?