PDA

View Full Version : Sticker Removal, specifically Cosmic Carbones...

Bikawright
03-10-2014, 12:40 AM
Hey Hey HELP!

I have a pair of Mavic Cosmic Carbone SLR's with the exalith braking surface. They have the subdued sticker with the yellow magic sticker (which are not the problem here). Specifically these stickers are the problem:http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/photos/race-tech-fresh-new-gear-on-display-at-tour-of-flanders/166437

I have tried using the "hair dryer" method with is working better then a razor blade... But, I am being left with huge amounts of glue residue, despite the heat from the dryer. This residue is now expertly resisting my efforts with Goo Gone and refusing to be rid from my wheels...

PLEASE HELP!! I still have a rear wheel and half a front wheel to go; not to forget the half a front wheel to go of residue...! Ugh... These particular stickers are just evil compared with mid 2000's Carbones and Zipp stickers which are child's play compared to these suckers!

I look forward to some ideas and hearing what has worked for others...!

sworcester
03-11-2014, 06:08 PM
use Bestine rubber cement thinner.

notsew
03-11-2014, 06:37 PM
acetone

johnmdesigner
03-11-2014, 07:54 PM
use Bestine rubber cement thinner.

As a failed artiste I have used Bestine to clean just about any disgusting adhesive, grease, gunk off anything. It will not harm the surface you are cleaning.
Use in a well ventilated place.

Idris Icabod
03-11-2014, 10:14 PM
Bestine is heptane, so you could try mineral spirits if you have it on hand. I've always found isopropanol (rubbing alcohol) to work for getting gummy cr@p off. I just looked up goo gone and it is a mixture of hydrocarbons, so if it doesn't work then I doubt Bestine (heptane) would. I'd try isopropanol first and if not then move on to acetone as suggested above.

Brian Cdn
03-12-2014, 04:03 PM
I've had good results removing adhesives and sticker residue with 90% rubbing alcohol and some rather disastrous ones using a razor blade.

Thanks for the lead on Bestine, I will have to give it a try.

B

russd32
03-13-2014, 05:40 AM
I use an aerosol decal remover that you can pickup from an auto parts store. It's made for auto paint so it should be safe and it works well.