PDA

View Full Version : Hutchinson Fusion 3 no longer holding air

elcolombiano
03-09-2014, 06:02 PM
I came home after a 3.5 month vacation (I recently retired). When I pump up my Shamal front wheel (which was in storage) with Hutchinson Fusion 3 tubless tire it drops 10psi per minute. I put in 15ml of Continental Revo Selant in June 2013. The sealant bottle states that the sealant remains effective 4-24 weeks. The tire still has good tread life with no obvious cuts.

Should I put more sealant in and see if it will hold or should I remove the tire wash it, put it back on and put sealant in. I am lazy and don't want to remove the tire if I don't have to. Does the sealant that has been in the tire for 9 months evaporate or get absorbed into the tire over time?

pcxmbfj
03-10-2014, 05:53 AM
You can try adding sealant through the presta valve with a syringe.
If your wheels have a removable valve core any injector should work.
If no removable core a Calfee or Stans runs around $20.
Use sealant without filler material that will clog the valve and expect a messy learning curve.
Hutchinson air can is another option.

dekindy
03-10-2014, 06:40 AM
Are the Shamal's 2-way? If they are, with the tire completely deflated, press both sides of the tire into the very middle of the wheel channel, make sure the tire is sealed around the valve, and then inflate. What is happening is that the tire is not expanding uniformly and sealing completely. If you find the air leak point and try to hold it sealed at that point while inflating, another point will start leaking and you will end up chasing your tail. If you get the tire down in the channel and pump vigorously and keep pumping as the tire seals it should seal the first time with a floor pump. I have never had a tubeless tire not seal the first time using a floor pump with this technique; and I have installed many tubeless tires on tubeless specific rims using this method. Plenty of times chasing my tail and dripping in sweat before getting the tire sealed using the other method.

If the Shamal is not a 2-way, so a conversion, reinstalling sealant is probably your only choice. If the sealant is dried up you may need to clean it out prior to reinstalling. I have no experience with conversions so maybe someone else can chime in. But I would think you would not want a lot of dried sealant remaining in the tire.

I have no experience with the Continental sealant, but have you ever had any type of fluid, regardless of type, last as long as the manufacture says? That seems like an impossible claim. I don't know if lack of use changes the life. What environment was the tire stored? Wonder what causes the fluid to last 4 weeks versus 24? 4-12 would be more realistic.

RedRider
03-10-2014, 06:56 AM
Sound like the tire has been un-seated. Try remounting and inflate with an air compressor or CO2 cartridge. There are some that can use a high volume floor pump but I've never had any success. Tubeless should be run at lower air pressure than regular clinchers but initially inflate to about 110lbs to insure seating and then let some out.
Congrats on your retirement!

93legendti
03-10-2014, 07:02 AM
This happened with a wheel I hadn't ridden in a while. I put some soapy water on the rim tire junction and pumped up the tire. Tire seated and all was good.

elcolombiano
03-10-2014, 10:09 AM
I added 20ml of conti fluid by removing the valve core into the 2 way fit wheel pumped it up to 100psi moved the wheel in different directions for a while to distribute the fluid. I did this last night and this morning the wheel is still with high pressure, so it worked. All is good for now. Thanks guys for all the recommendations. I hope I don't have to much sealant in there now. 20ml from 9 months ago and 20 ml now.