PDA

View Full Version : DA 10 crankset install

mavic1010
03-10-2004, 05:22 PM
I installed the bb and crankset (no chain on it yet). I spun the crankset around, but i feel some resistance on it...doesn't spin "effortlessly"....is it supposed to be like this? Any thoughts?

Ozz
03-10-2004, 05:41 PM
"grinding" resistance or "hydraulic" resistance?

vaxn8r
03-10-2004, 06:26 PM
Shimano does use a fairly sticky grease which wears well but also wears in. I can't compare mine as my bike's been taken down....waiting for a new one.

My experience with Shimano hubs is when new they roll a bit slow but as they break in they roll forever. Wonder if the new BB/crank is the same way?

pale scotsman
03-10-2004, 07:25 PM
They do not spin freely like an old cup and retainer bottom bracket. I think it was mr. jerk that was lemanting on this a few days back. I gotta think you are losing a little efficiency though most likely immeasurable. I noticed this at the LBS when they first got it in, and the portly poseur, he named himself BTW, I ride with has it on one of his bikes and it doesn't spin freely either.

SPOKE
03-10-2004, 09:48 PM
it's not a free spinner even after 300 miles. i doubt that is ever spins as freely as the old "loose ball" BB's.

Needs Help
03-10-2004, 11:48 PM
Wow, sounds like it can double as a fluid trainer. Just think: if you train on a Dura Ace and race on a Campy how much stronger you will be. :)

zap
03-11-2004, 10:46 AM
I don't know how the new Shimano external BB/crank assembly is installed. My only experience with that design is with a Magic Motorcycle crankset.

Are there any shims involved to load the Shimano BB bearings? The Magic assembly is very-and I mean very sensitive to bearing preload. Add a pop can shim and the bearings would start to tighten up. Take one to many out and the bearings would move in the external cups.

"Be square & have great durability":)

Richard
03-11-2004, 11:05 AM
They are very sensitive to the need for the BB shell faces to be parrallel, much more so than cartridge BBs. The preload/adjustment can be done by hand, the non-drive side can be turned by hand and basically, that is all that's needed.

Ken Robb
03-11-2004, 12:58 PM
when I had these parts in hand it was obvious to me that what it is is a bushing. I didn't see any bearings in the sense of balls or rollers and it did have obvious drag. I assume that the engineers have decided that this amount of drag is not critical to pedaling efficiency. The counterpoint to this: My friend has a couple of very dusty frames (Mercian and Raleigh) hanging in his garage; neither has been ridden in 20 years and when I spin the Campy Nuovo Record cranks they go round and round and round smooth as silk and quiet. Apparently races aren't won by what spins best unconnected to a drivetrain. It sure is fun to feel/see if you love nice machinery though.

Jeff N.
03-12-2004, 10:40 AM
Mine is/was the same. I consider it a non-issue. It is obviously manufactured to very close tolerances,probably resulting in a longer-than-average breaking in period. After many hundreds of miles, my new DA crankset performs flawlessly. And no creaks, best of all! Jeff N.

bikedadjc
03-13-2004, 10:29 AM
Is anyone using the new 10 speed cranks with a 9-speed chain and cassette?? If so, hows it working? Thanks, Jesse