PDA

View Full Version : Clorox Wipes safe for bike use?

SolidSnake03
03-09-2014, 03:58 PM
Well like the title says I'm wondering if Clorox wipes *Citrus Burst* are safe for bike use? I have a big drum of them I have been using for kitchen/hand cleaning and they are most definitely safe for that use. Also, in looking of the chemical/ingredient listing nothing stands out as overly harmful to me.

I figure if it's safe on my hands how harmful could it be to the bike?

Reason I'm asking is I tried using one to clean my drive-train and it did a marvelous job getting a bunch of grit/grease off and want to make sure I'm not doing any damage.....

thirdgenbird
03-09-2014, 04:01 PM
I wouldn't be surprised it it stripped wax but that's a complete guess.

likebikes
03-09-2014, 04:13 PM
yes

ultraman6970
03-09-2014, 04:31 PM
If you want to play safe use baby wipes.

SolidSnake03
03-09-2014, 05:04 PM
yes

Yes to what? Stripes wax or is safe to use?

Also where would you have wax on your drivetrain? Im talking about cleaning chain and cassette mainly.

rnhood
03-09-2014, 05:10 PM
Citrus Burst is plenty safe for your bike.....on the painted surfaces or drive train. I still prefer mineral spirits when I give the cassette and chain a serious cleaning but, now that I use Dupont Chain Saver as the lube it rarely needs cleaning.

Idris Icabod
03-09-2014, 07:25 PM
Well like the title says I'm wondering if Clorox wipes *Citrus Burst* are safe for bike use? I have a big drum of them I have been using for kitchen/hand cleaning and they are most definitely safe for that use. Also, in looking of the chemical/ingredient listing nothing stands out as overly harmful to me.

I figure if it's safe on my hands how harmful could it be to the bike?

Reason I'm asking is I tried using one to clean my drive-train and it did a marvelous job getting a bunch of grit/grease off and want to make sure I'm not doing any damage.....

If your bike is carbon it will dissolve. Not really, I've used rubbing alcohol and acetone on carbon wheels to remove decals, I bet the wipes may have IPA (isopropanol at the most aggressive solvent and it isn't very aggressive). As an advantage, after you finish you can eat off your bike. Which brings me to my buddy who used to squeeze cliff bars to his top tube and eat it during races until he realized that he had taken off the clear coat of his frame in these areas and probably eaten it!

thirdgenbird
03-09-2014, 07:46 PM
Yes to what? Stripes wax or is safe to use?

Also where would you have wax on your drivetrain? Im talking about cleaning chain and cassette mainly.

Well, I mentioned it because I thought you were asking about general purpose use. That said, many people use wax lubricant.

F150
03-09-2014, 07:47 PM
Ditto on the baby wipes. Super cheap; leave a bin on the workbench, another in the car for cleanup after sweaty workdays on industrial sites. If it's good enough for Junior's bum...

Unless you're riding thru a crime scene, "Clorox" anything seems like overkill.

Note: Fast Orange hand cleaner will remove automotive clearcoat.

SolidSnake03
03-09-2014, 08:44 PM
Good to hear these are a safe choice, I would consider baby wipes but I already have a bunch of the Clorox for cleaning my kitchen etc..

Basically, I know the "disinfecting" part of the Clorox is un-needed it just that I have the Sam's Club size mega jumbo 10gallon drum of the things and thought if I could find some ways to re-purpose them it would be helpful.

thanks for the insight everyone!

ultraman6970
03-09-2014, 08:55 PM
I have used clorox wipes and never noticed anything weird in the paint job. But sincerely baby wipes worked way better in grease than clorox, for some reason is harder to remove grease and crap using the clorox wipes than with butty wipes, now that I think about it it makes sense, one was made to clean up crap :D

russd32
03-09-2014, 10:58 PM
It probably wouldn't hurt anything but I probably wouldn't use them. Soap and water dude, it's easy and gentle