PDA

View Full Version : Squeaky CK headset help

gregblow
03-09-2014, 01:13 PM
My king headset squeaks! Any ideas as to why? I used a headset
Press and anti size on my new ti serotta. What did I do wrong.

Thanks guys

Peter B
03-09-2014, 01:47 PM
Did you install the thin white washer between HS and stem/spacers?

Was the HS new?

Might try a dab of grease between the various parts as you slide them all in place.

David Kirk
03-09-2014, 02:18 PM
Under what conditions does it squeak?

dave

donevwil
03-09-2014, 03:11 PM
Which generation is it, current split compression ring or older o-ring centering design ?

gregblow
03-09-2014, 06:12 PM
Did you install the thin white washer between HS and stem/spacers?

Was the HS new?

Might try a dab of grease between the various parts as you slide them all in place.

Yes. i put the washer on.

gregblow
03-09-2014, 06:14 PM
Under what conditions does it squeak?

dave

when pedaling hard with hands on the bars. i can make it stop when pedaling easy with no hands. Also squeaks when climbing.

gregblow
03-09-2014, 06:17 PM
Which generation is it, current split compression ring or older o-ring centering design ?

i just bought it. new design?

Unpredictable
03-09-2014, 06:25 PM
Gregg, Get it in TUNE....I'll fix it bro. V

Chromoroboto
03-09-2014, 06:38 PM
Does it have this part? I'm talking about the split compression ring. If it doesn't have it (CK calls it the Grip Lock), it maybe is an older model.

The ring can be bought separately and can be retrofitted to CKs of previous years.
http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h409/Darwin_Ayala/cksplitring_zpsb5691cfb.jpg (http://s1108.photobucket.com/user/Darwin_Ayala/media/cksplitring_zpsb5691cfb.jpg.html)

gregblow
03-09-2014, 07:00 PM
Yes it has it

gregblow
03-09-2014, 07:02 PM
Gregg, Get it in TUNE....I'll fix it bro. V

I know you can! Best shop and mechanic I know!

oldpotatoe
03-10-2014, 06:51 AM
My king headset squeaks! Any ideas as to why? I used a headset
Press and anti size on my new ti serotta. What did I do wrong.

Thanks guys

Could be a couple of things. Headtube facing comes to mind(any gaps between HS cups and head tube?) and also grease around, inside the cups, bearing caps.

Also fork crown race seated well, grease on steerer as the thing was wacked on.

Could also be the stem, fork steerer interface or the handlebars and stem interface..I'd have a wrench look all above, re-install with some carbon paste at stem to steerer and stem to handlebar...plus grease inside HS.

David Kirk
03-10-2014, 09:13 AM
Could be a couple of things. Headtube facing comes to mind(any gaps between HS cups and head tube?) and also grease around, inside the cups, bearing caps.

Also fork crown race seated well, grease on steerer as the thing was wacked on.

Could also be the stem, fork steerer interface or the handlebars and stem interface..I'd have a wrench look all above, re-install with some carbon paste at stem to steerer and stem to handlebar...plus grease inside HS.

I agree with all of the above. my gut tells me it's not the headset but where the stem clamps the fork or where the stem clamps the bars.

Can you make the noise standing still by levering the bars side to side or up/down?

dave

gregblow
03-10-2014, 06:15 PM
I agree with all of the above. my gut tells me it's not the headset but where the stem clamps the fork or where the stem clamps the bars.

Can you make the noise standing still by levering the bars side to side or up/down?

dave
thanks Dave, i think it is now my ck bb. going to try to reinstall it.