PDA

View Full Version : Rapha Rant

oddsaabs
03-08-2014, 08:19 PM
Our favorite over priced clothing maker has released 2 videos of their "Spring and Summer Line". A least the female models are smart enough to put on a helmet before riding off into the darkness without a blinky on the back.

https://vimeo.com/88463393
https://vimeo.com/88462975

T.J.
03-08-2014, 08:21 PM
Mods, can we have a sub forum for Rapha, Lance, and doping ?

Anarchist
03-08-2014, 08:41 PM
Our favorite over priced clothing maker has released 2 videos of their "Spring and Summer Line". A least the female models are smart enough to put on a helmet before riding off into the darkness without a blinky on the back.

Why not do a search to find one of the other 996 Rapha Rant threads? Or maybe just grow up?

oddsaabs
03-08-2014, 08:58 PM
But it has been a whole 5 days since someone bitched about Rapha!

Louis
03-08-2014, 09:01 PM
Who's this Ralpha guy? Never heard of him.

cfox
03-08-2014, 09:08 PM
best troll I've read in a long time. You managed to get a Rapha/helmet/lighting rant in one sentence!

Idris Icabod
03-08-2014, 09:10 PM
When I read the title, my first thought was FFS hasn't this been done to death now.

Kirk007
03-08-2014, 09:15 PM
Thank God, a Rapha rant! It's been raining cats and dogs all day (good thing for my Rapha and Assos protective gear); been working my ass off ever since the ride with a late night ahead. Sick of power points, story lines and script, need a diversion shorter than a movie.

All Hail the Rapha rant!

My rapha winter hat is just the right weight and warmth. Ear protection for when its just too cold for a cap yet not as hot as a thick beanie. Magnifico, what brilliance.

Riding in the rain makes me feel like a Rapha hard man. Do you think they have soigneurs who wipe down their bikes? I could use one of those - are they available on the website or do I need to go to NYC or San Fran or Portland to a store?

pbarry
03-08-2014, 09:36 PM
Who's this Ralpha guy? Never heard of him.

Well said.

Not a man, nor a former pro, nor knit wear from a small Italian firm.

It's

just

a

brand.

Buy it if it works for you. Ignore if it doesn't.

azrider
03-08-2014, 09:45 PM
http://urbanvelo.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/team_jva.jpg

avalonracing
03-08-2014, 10:49 PM
Hmm, they make the women wear helmets but not the men. Let's add "Rapha is a sexist company" to the reasons why we don't like them. In addition to using phrases like: "new bespoke fabrics"

bicycletricycle
03-08-2014, 11:08 PM
What exactly are u complaining about ? The fashion video doesn't set a good example for the kids?

oliver1850
03-08-2014, 11:48 PM
Hmm, they make the women wear helmets but not the men. Let's add "Rapha is a sexist company" to the reasons why we don't like them. In addition to using phrases like: "new bespoke fabrics"

"new bespoke fabrics in great colorways for your next epic ride"

thirdgenbird
03-08-2014, 11:50 PM
"new bespoke fabrics in great colorways for your next epic ride"

Comedy gold

Louis
03-08-2014, 11:52 PM
Comedy gold

It's not funny if you really believe it.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2009/04/01/fashion/02fitness-600.jpg

Vientomas
03-09-2014, 12:50 AM
What's the over - under for 7 pages?

Louis
03-09-2014, 01:15 AM
I say under - I don't feel a whole lot of passion in this one. Definitely not epic.

sw3759
03-09-2014, 05:23 AM
why would anyone care if they are wearing helmets or not in some advertisement.they are adults and know the risk,i don't pass judgement on someone I see riding if they aren't wearing a helmet.maybe they forgot them.
I have been on a few rides when I forgot to pack a helmet.i didn't pack up and go home.
I like the short videos that rapha puts out.i did like the womens video a bit better than the mens but not because they had on helmets :)

Fixed
03-09-2014, 05:47 AM
It's not funny if you really believe it.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2009/04/01/fashion/02fitness-600.jpg

Darn young beautiful well dressed kids on bikes
What is the world coming to ?
:)
Cheers

merlincustom1
03-09-2014, 05:49 AM
It's just marketing. Get over it.

fuzzalow
03-09-2014, 06:13 AM
ZZZzzzzzzzzz...

oldpotatoe
03-09-2014, 06:33 AM

Got a mouse in yer pocket? Speak for yourself ohh ODDsaabs..Saabs are odd, aren't they?

Good looking, hard-ass women riding in the AM in Europe, what not to like? They could kick my ass and probably, yours too.

Let me guess, you use SRAM and read pez cycling, he hates Rapha too.

robin3mj
03-09-2014, 06:39 AM
Insert comment here about how poster only buys it on sale but actually really likes it.

oddsaabs
03-09-2014, 06:58 AM
Got a mouse in yer pocket?

Now I haven't heard that one in a dogs age. Well done old bean.

daker13
03-09-2014, 07:28 AM
http://urbanvelo.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/team_jva.jpg

That's a good one, thanks for the laugh.

I have to say, I still click on the Rapha threads… I don't know why...

weisan
03-09-2014, 07:30 AM
Odd-pal, first off I apologize on behalf of my fellow pals for the lack of etiquette. Obviously, you have accidentally entered the wrong room, please allow me to redirect you to the right one (see below). Again, please accept my sincere apologies for Rapha marketing propaganda.

http://autonomoussource.com/blog/mt-static/pics/playmcd.jpg

Climb01742
03-09-2014, 07:39 AM
Those look like some nice roads to ride, especially in women's vid. That was my big takeaway.;)

sjbraun
03-09-2014, 07:54 AM
The ladies look like they're enjoying their ride, the guys, not so much.

And what's with all the bare hands? Did Rapha stop selling gloves?

bobswire
03-09-2014, 08:05 AM
This does get me to wonder,do you find women cyclists hanging out at the Rapha Cycle Clubs?

avalonracing
03-09-2014, 08:19 AM
And what's with all the bare hands? Did Rapha stop selling gloves?

Maybe they couldn't afford helmets or gloves after spending so much on jersey?

FlashUNC
03-09-2014, 08:20 AM
This does get me to wonder,do you find women cyclists hanging out at the Rapha Cycle Clubs?

The three times I've been out to the Cycle Club in San Fran, I've seen women cyclists come in every single time.

Fixed
03-09-2014, 08:26 AM

Yes I have noticed on Saturday and Sunday and triathlete ladies as well .
I am going there today to watch their bike racing videos .
Cheers

ckamp
03-09-2014, 08:33 AM
You guys are quick to rant, more than the OP. :)

I doubt OP is piping mad and currently tearing up a rapha jersey..

Who knows I may be wrong.. :banana:

tiretrax
03-09-2014, 08:51 AM
The OP does raise a good point about sexism - why are Rapha dudes painfully skinny and tatted up and Rapha babes aren't (thankfully)?

kohlboto
03-09-2014, 09:03 AM
The OP does raise a good point about sexism - why are Rapha dudes painfully skinny and tatted up and Rapha babes aren't (thankfully)?

Hmmm...

Anarchist
03-09-2014, 09:17 AM
Hmmm...

Thank you.

oldpotatoe
03-09-2014, 09:32 AM
Hmmm...

So how do ya know the ladies aren't the proud owners of tattoos? Unfortunately, when a woman sports a great tattoo, past the sleeve, she may be critisized, when a guy has it, they are 'cool', that's sexist. I've seen some women with beautiful sleeves, I'll bet 'buldogge' has done some.

Anarchist
03-09-2014, 11:01 AM
So how do ya know the ladies aren't the proud owners of tattoos? Unfortunately, when a woman sports a great tattoo, past the sleeve, she may be critisized, when a guy has it, they are 'cool', that's sexist. I've seen some women with beautiful sleeves, I'll bet 'buldogge' has done some.

I think you missed the point.

charliedid
03-09-2014, 11:20 AM
grumble, grumble...GET OFF MY LAWN!

roguedog
03-09-2014, 11:28 AM
+1 to SJbraun's comment

I was thinking the exact same thing when I was reflecting upon this thread. The women look like they're enjoying themselves and having a good time together. They look like a team.

oldpotatoe
03-09-2014, 03:50 PM
I think you missed the point.

I get the point mr a.christ

bluesea
03-09-2014, 05:26 PM
Honolulu rant: my L pro jersey fit narrow and long compared to Santini and Giordana. It came with a return label, w-a-h. The material is so hi-tech I had to go with an XL. Figger if my friends can ride $8k bikes, I can wear a $200 ....

zmudshark
03-09-2014, 06:37 PM
Let me know when the Pantani jersey comes out.

beeatnik
03-09-2014, 06:43 PM
Darn young beautiful well dressed kids on bikes
What is the world coming to ?
:)
Cheers

Fixed, that kid is about 32.

Around here, young riders in their late teens rarely wear helmets. Eventually, they start going fast on road bikes, get swallowed by a 2ft deep pothole or hit by a car or two. Then 99 out of 100x they start to wear helmets. The lick-ra is the final frontier.

Long live the cut-off short

Davist
03-26-2014, 07:29 AM
just got an email the other day from Rapha, didn't notice while on the phone, but having just changed a chain (after Hell of Hunterdon, a great time) I thought this chain MIGHT be a little short... hmm.. saves weight I guess, quicker shifting..

edit: Just noticed it was on big ring, so might be ok, nevermind..

christian
03-26-2014, 07:54 AM
I may be a Rapha hater, but my friends like it...

(Ok, in truth I'm wearing Rapha tights in this pic.)

avalonracing
03-26-2014, 08:06 AM
i may be a rapha hater, but my friends like it...

aaaahhhh! My eyes!!!!

Maybe it just looks wrong as the shot is in color, guys aren't scruffy, all they have about 12% more body fat that the average Rapha model. On the other hand the above shot would be truth in advertising.

christian
03-26-2014, 08:17 AM
You don't know how hard* that ride was. It involved some trash talking, a dirt road, a flat tubular, and an organic bacon, egg, and cheese on a sesame roll with a couple big cups of coffee.

* Sorry, epic.

(BTW, to merge universes, this is the (most recent) ride Happycampyer referred to in the NAHBS thread. From left to right:
Rock Lobster, Colnago, Eriksen-built Hampsten, Goodrich, Felt, Kirk, Pegoretti, Passoni, Serotta, Gaulzetti, Eriksen-built Hampsten)

corky
03-26-2014, 08:23 AM
sooooo..... i declare this thread an epic fail

note.... OP lights blue touch-paper and runs away....

avalonracing
03-26-2014, 08:32 AM
You don't know how hard* that ride was. It involved some trash talking, a dirt road, a flat tubular, and an organic bacon, egg, and cheese on a sesame roll with a couple big cups of coffee.

* Sorry, epic.

(BTW, to merge universes, this is the (most recent) ride Happycampyer referred to in the NAHBS thread. From left to right:
Rock Lobster, Colnago, Eriksen-built Hampsten, Goodrich, Felt, Kirk, Pegoretti, Passoni, Serotta, Gaulzetti, Eriksen-built Hampsten)

Again, that is the Rapha reality.
And it sounds like a GREAT ride!

Lionel
03-26-2014, 08:38 AM
I see an Assos jacket in the back there, what the hell.

Charles M
03-26-2014, 08:45 AM
One guy got what he paid for :)

christian
03-26-2014, 08:51 AM
Well, it was below 64d, so you knew Happy was going to break out the Airjack.

Salsa_Lover
03-26-2014, 09:00 AM
No old Colnagos or Steel bikes on those videos ? Rapha has lost its edge :butt: :p

Joachim
03-26-2014, 09:02 AM

* Sorry, epic.

Hmm...you forgot to say the ride was really devoid from color and once it got epic it turned into grayscale...

Btw, who is the guy on the Colnago??? No one smiles in epic pics. He needs to get his inner epicness out.

jmoore
03-26-2014, 09:04 AM

That stable of bikes rivals the bikes we have in our annual AZ BBQ Sufferfest.

Bedford
DeRosa x2
Tommasini
Strong x3
MX Leader
Hampsten ti
Seven
Look
Argonaut

Saguaro
03-26-2014, 09:25 AM
That stable of bikes rivals the bikes we have in our annual AZ BBQ Sufferfest.

Bedford
DeRosa x2
Tommasini
Strong x3
MX Leader
Hampsten ti
Seven
Look
Argonaut

This year it was Tommasini X2 :)

BTW, I just picked up my first Rapha jersey and love it! Bought it before I realized it was controversial. Fit and finish far above anything else I've seen and the fabric is the perfect weight.

-Craig

Netdewt
03-26-2014, 09:40 AM
It's bothering me more and more that the riders in their ads do not wear helmets.

professerr
03-26-2014, 10:16 AM
Say what you will about Rapha's marketing (cleverly contrived, imo), I just bought a pair of their bibs, and they are not for me.

The stitching on both straps popped because it was not sewn properly to take into account the stretching required to pull the straps over your shoulders. I've had this happen with the collar on a crappy T-shirt I bought a Target, but never on $200 bibs -- this was clearly a production defect.

And while pads are a matter of taste, the Rapha one is not for me. Sorta plush for the start of the ride, but annoyingly in the way as the ride goes long and hard, also catching on the saddle now and then and sorta rubbery/squeeky feeling when it gets damp. Bleh. Whatever padding I need, I want it in the saddle. I dig thin, cheap KISS pads on the cheapest Castellis.

ColonelJLloyd
03-26-2014, 10:30 AM
It's bothering me more and more that the riders in their ads do not wear helmets.

Thanks for sharing.

tiretrax
03-26-2014, 11:22 AM
aaaahhhh! My eyes!!!!

Maybe it just looks wrong as the shot is in color, guys aren't scruffy, all they have about 12% more body fat that the average Rapha model.

And hair on their legs?

fiamme red
03-26-2014, 11:29 AM
Maybe it just looks wrong as the shot is in color, guys aren't scruffy, all they have about 12% more body fat that the average Rapha model. On the other hand the above shot would be truth in advertising.When you wear Rapha you should have a pained look on your face, not a smile. And what's with the helmets?

Netdewt
03-26-2014, 11:41 AM
Thanks for sharing.

You're welcome. I do like their advertising otherwise though.

Skenry
03-26-2014, 12:09 PM

OK, I'll bite. Why would they?

bcroslin
03-26-2014, 12:54 PM
Man, some of you have way too much time on your hands. You realize this is advertising right? It's aspirational BS selling a lifestyle brand. You realize complaining about helmets in Rapha advertising isn't much different than complaining that every BMW ad shows drivers driving way faster than is safe in city traffic.

Get a grip.

krhea
03-26-2014, 12:56 PM
man, some of you have way too much time on your hands. You realize this is advertising right? It's aspirational bs selling a lifestyle brand. You realize complaining about helmets in rapha advertising isn't much different than complaining that every bmw ad shows drivers driving way faster than is safe in city traffic.

Get a grip.

+1

Netdewt
03-26-2014, 01:03 PM
Man, some of you have way too much time on your hands. You realize this is advertising right? It's aspirational BS selling a lifestyle brand. You realize complaining about helmets in Rapha advertising isn't much different than complaining that every BMW ad shows drivers driving way faster than is safe in city traffic.

Get a grip.

Just speaking for myself. I didn't start this thread. I'm not being combative either. Just offering my thoughts to a thread someone else started.

I do realize it's advertising. I work in advertising, and I modify reality every minute of every day.

I just think the helmet thing is not subtle at all, and not a good representation of the company. It's very obvious to me whenever I see someone riding a bike without a helmet.

avalonracing
03-26-2014, 01:15 PM
I do think it matters in this case. I mean a lot of people buy their incredibly overpriced, sweatshop-produced clothing because they are so impressionable so they are probably going to be susceptible the helmetless thing too.

(Written by a guy who used to ride tens of thousands of miles without a helmet because he liked the feel of it- and the traditional euro look- Until he all but bashed his brains in on some pavement one spring day in 2000.)

Md3000
03-26-2014, 01:53 PM
Ahhh so THATS how cool people start their days, by snapping a pic of the sky and share it on social media

Anarchist
03-26-2014, 02:05 PM

Get a grip.

^this

54ny77
03-26-2014, 02:18 PM
If only there was truth in advertising....

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_f97gXEQkmUo/THUrDz6HrPI/AAAAAAAACxg/DkpVXRn0Ocg/s1600/crazy-people-volvo.jpg

http://www.impdb.org/images/thumb/5/5a/Crazypeopleairliner.jpg/500px-Crazypeopleairliner.jpg

professerr
03-26-2014, 03:12 PM
Just watched the videos. Riders/models sans helmets feels staged -- virtually no one rides without helmets now because that debate is over. So I doubt this ad is going to influence anyone's habits. So I don't care.

But the video does highlight nicely how much the white, yellow and pink fabrics pop compared to the standard black stuff. Good on Rapha for offering those colors and using them in ads. This debate is NOT over -- tons of riders sport all or mostly black or similarly dark colors.

When I'm driving and there's some guy murdered out in black it mildly pisses me off -- I don't want to hit him, and I don't want someone else to hit him.

professerr
03-26-2014, 03:18 PM
Just watched the videos. Riders/models sans helmets feels staged -- virtually no one rides without helmets now because that debate is over. So I doubt this ad is going to influence anyone's habits. So I don't care.

But the video does highlight nicely how much the white, yellow and pink fabrics pop compared to the standard black stuff. Good on Rapha for offering those colors and using them in ads. This debate is NOT over -- tons of riders sport all or mostly black or similarly dark colors.

When I'm driving an there's some guy murdered out in black it mildly pisses me off -- I don't want to hit him, and I don't want someone else to hit him.

corky
03-26-2014, 03:56 PM
"say something once.... why say it again?"

Psycho Killer..... Talking heads

bcroslin
03-26-2014, 04:26 PM

Funny you say that. A guy was visiting from NYC a few weeks ago and dropped in on our Sat morning training ride sans helmet and it really made me uncomfortable. I had a nice conversation with him about helmets and he mentioned he's been riding and racing for over 20 years and doesn't wear them when he can get away with it. He reasoned that 20 years ago no one wore them and nothings changed over that time to make him feel like they make him any safer. Didn't change my mind but worth thinking about.

oldpotatoe
03-26-2014, 05:03 PM
Funny you say that. A guy was visiting from NYC a few weeks ago and dropped in on our Sat morning training ride sans helmet and it really made me uncomfortable. I had a nice conversation with him about helmets and he mentioned he's been riding and racing for over 20 years and doesn't wear them when he can get away with it. He reasoned that 20 years ago no one wore them and nothings changed over that time to make him feel like they make him any safer. Didn't change my mind but worth thinking about.

Sorry, and I apologize as this morphes into a helmet thread, but why riding with some guy without a helmet makes you uncomfortable. Do you ski? Do you get uncomfortable when somebody skis w/o a helmet. How about a guy on a motorcycle, driving 75 in traffic, w/o a helmet.

Maybe using SRAM but no helmet? So what.

pdmtong
03-26-2014, 05:27 PM

Get a grip.

no helmets is a marketing liberty. the same reason why you never see road bike shots with bottles/cages/bags/ cyclometers/lights.

Rapha is making the video to sell clothes, not to demonstrate best practices for riding with friends.

BumbleBeeDave
03-26-2014, 06:15 PM
Go for a ride. Please. I don't care what you wear. :crap:

BBD

bcroslin
03-26-2014, 06:16 PM
Sorry, and I apologize as this morphes into a helmet thread, but why riding with some guy without a helmet makes you uncomfortable. Do you ski? Do you get uncomfortable when somebody skis w/o a helmet. How about a guy on a motorcycle, driving 75 in traffic, w/o a helmet.

Maybe using SRAM but no helmet? So what.

It's funny you say that because I started skateboarding again after 10 years and I don't wear a helmet. I would bet my chances are probably higher of braining myself on the board than on the bike yet I won't leave home without a helmet when I'm on two wheels. And because you asked, yes, it does bother me when I see a motorcyclists riding without a helmet. Doesn't really make any sense because it's their head and not mine.

Louis
03-26-2014, 06:17 PM
I don't care what you wear.

But we care about what you wear! ;)

Md3000
03-26-2014, 06:29 PM
"say something once.... why say it again?"

Psycho Killer..... Talking heads

Perfect quote from the perfect song!

rustychisel
03-26-2014, 06:40 PM
I hate the crap you wear but I'd fight to the death for your right to wear it.

All that remains for evil dress sense to flourish is for usually plain men clad in gaudy lycra to do nothing.

cfox
03-26-2014, 07:37 PM

The thing that has changed in the last twenty years is that helmets are so light and comfortable now, there isn't a reason not to wear them. Back as a teenage bike racer, I would wear my giant, heavy Bell to the end of the driveway and, when out of sight of my Mom, chuck it into the woods before my ride. I didn't always remember to grab it when I returned.

Seriously, I could care less if anyone else wears a helmet. Riding without a helmet is still safer and healthier than eating cheeseburgers while playing XBox, which seems to be the new national pastime.

and Rapha? I like it even more because it seems to piss people off.

Louis
03-26-2014, 07:43 PM
Apparently Rapha's like that sore on the inside of your mouth - you just can't leave it alone.

Vientomas
03-26-2014, 07:50 PM
Almost 7 pages!

Louis
03-26-2014, 08:13 PM
Almost 7 pages!

This sort of post shouldn't count toward the total page count.

Louis
03-26-2014, 08:14 PM
This sort of post shouldn't count toward the total page count.

Nor should this one.

avalonracing
03-26-2014, 08:33 PM
Nor should this one.

Strangely, this one should.

Louis
03-26-2014, 08:35 PM
Strangely, this one should.

I disagree. :p

Kirk007
03-26-2014, 08:40 PM
and rapha? I like it even more because it seems to piss people off.

+1

rustychisel
03-26-2014, 08:44 PM
+1

Oh, c'mon. That doesn't count either.

cfox
03-26-2014, 08:48 PM
oh, c'mon. That doesn't count either.

+ 1/2?

Kirk007
03-26-2014, 08:58 PM
Oh, c'mon. That doesn't count either.

no seriously - if someone ever gives me sh*t on the road for wearing Rapha this will be my new response....

does that count?

rustychisel
03-26-2014, 09:13 PM
no seriously - if someone ever gives me sh*t on the road for wearing Rapha this will be my new response....

does that count?

I'm certain it does. Of course if someone gives you sh*t for wearing it that says at least as much about them.

Most of us, I assume, have at least the wit to understand that the epic nature of their storytelling and branding is just that, and that the quality of their apparel another thing entirely. And even though I like my team Sharp jersey I know that it comes from a Chinese factory.

Vientomas
03-26-2014, 09:14 PM
A dancing banana for each of the seven pages!!!!!

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::b anana:

Banana malfunction on #7.

chasea
03-26-2014, 09:51 PM
My Rapha rant:

#1. We're having a sale right now. Sales bum me the eff out. Literally brings out the worst of the worst of the worst of you. For real. You want it. The price is the price. Don't be rude. If you were *that* turned off, you wouldn't be in the store.

#2. If you insist on trying something on while you're on your ride, do it at the beginning of your ride. Duh. And bathe daily.

#3. I don't want to work Sunday. But I don't want to wait to see a race already knowing what happens. So I'm working Sundays. Sunday also happens to be the last day of our current sale. See you Sunday.

Let's be real for a second. How many people here have a $10K bike- that they'll never truly know how good it is- but will stretch a $200 jersey to its limits?

rustychisel
03-26-2014, 11:25 PM
tee hee.

I've only ridden 120km so I'm only a bit sweaty. Got any casques or mitts I can try on for size?

beeatnik
03-27-2014, 12:50 AM
#2. If you insist on trying something on while you're on your ride, do it at the beginning of your ride. Duh. And bathe daily.

Yes!

fuzzalow
03-27-2014, 04:47 AM
Reportage from the front lines.

To all the Rapha haters out there, seems like you are all just disgruntled at not being able to partake in the aura of epicness. A humorless lot you are.

My Rapha rant:

#1. We're having a sale right now. Sales bum me the eff out. Literally brings out the worst of the worst of the worst of you. For real. You want it. The price is the price. Don't be rude. If you were *that* turned off, you wouldn't be in the store.

Imagery of slinking into the Rapha store surreptitiously, as if seeking contraband or pornography, and then looking to bargain on the price like at a bazaar. That is bizarre.

And no self-absorbed New Yorker has yet asked to try the bibs for a short test ride around the block, only to return and hand them back as "no thanks, not for me". C'mon, this is New York City...

#3. I don't want to work Sunday. But I don't want to wait to see a race already knowing what happens. So I'm working Sundays. Sunday also happens to be the last day of our current sale. See you Sunday.

Don't wanna work Sundays, huh? Well then, investment banking not for you.

Let's be real for a second. How many people here have a $10K bike- that they'll never truly know how good it is- but will stretch a $200 jersey to its limits?

Few.
None.

christian
03-27-2014, 05:15 AM
I think if I bought a small, I could stretch a jersey to its limits, almost regardless of price.

Speaking of, it was weird to me that Hulk's hips stayed roughly the same size. Or were they Sansabelt?

christian
03-27-2014, 05:20 AM
#1. We're having a sale right now. Sales bum me the eff out. Literally brings out the worst of the worst of the worst of you.if I can shift my Friday schedule around, I'll try to prove this dictum. Got any of those Ballerini base layers in stock? Say $45 and a set of used Hutchinson Fusions?

verticaldoug
03-27-2014, 06:32 AM
no helmets is a marketing liberty. the same reason why you never see road bike shots with bottles/cages/bags/ cyclometers/lights.

Rapha is making the video to sell clothes, not to demonstrate best practices for riding with friends.

If you ride solo, you are probably safer not wearing a helmet. You are most likely to die by being struck by a car. Driver who see a cyclist without a helmet think he is a higher risk and will proceed more cautiously.

Of course, one can argue the reason the cyclist gets hit by a driver is because he wasn't seen, so this is a logical fallacy. Maybe...

By wearing a helmet, you definitely decrease the risk of lacerations, abrasions to the head. But I think most people wear a helmet because they are afraid of TBI. I have yet to see good data on how effective a helmet is in preventing TBI.

The irony here is I wear a helmet most of the time. But then, I buy two mega million tickets because my odds on winning improve. I'm not always rational.

verticaldoug
03-27-2014, 06:49 AM
My Rapha rant:

The Rapha Gang of New York is sounding a little wimpy. Good thing the store is not in the old 5 Points Neighborhood.

oldpotatoe
03-27-2014, 07:34 AM
If you ride solo, you are probably safer not wearing a helmet. You are most likely to die by being struck by a car. Driver who see a cyclist without a helmet think he is a higher risk and will proceed more cautiously.

Of course, one can argue the reason the cyclist gets hit by a driver is because he wasn't seen, so this is a logical fallacy. Maybe...

By wearing a helmet, you definitely decrease the risk of lacerations, abrasions to the head. But I think most people wear a helmet because they are afraid of TBI. I have yet to see good data on how effective a helmet is in preventing TBI.

The irony here is I wear a helmet most of the time. But then, I buy two mega million tickets because my odds on winning improve. I'm not always rational.

Yup, may help, never hurt.

Helmets and Rapha.. Maybe a Rapha helmet?

avalonracing
03-27-2014, 07:44 AM
Yup, may help, never hurt.

Helmets and Rapha.. Maybe a Rapha helmet?

A bespoke helmet? I'll pay eleventy-billion dollars for a Rapha helmet!!!

bcroslin
03-27-2014, 07:54 AM
My Rapha rant:

Damn, of course there's a sale a few days AFTER I visit the NYC store. I was in the store on Saturday and I bought a pair of socks (which are really nice btw) and was able to sit and drink an orange san pellegrino while avoiding being dragged to Soho to shop with my wife and daughter. The store is really nice and actually encourages people to come in off the street and hang out. Very different than the other boutiques in the meat packing district. I'll be honest, I've been a bit of a Rapha hater in the past but the NYC store really impressed me.

j_roe
03-27-2014, 07:54 AM
they sell clothes not helmets.. get over it

avalonracing
03-27-2014, 08:18 AM
they sell clothes not helmets.. get over it

And espresso cups... and tampers... and umbrellas... and prints... and little toy vans....and flags... and

Skenry
03-27-2014, 08:33 AM

When I'm driving an there's some guy murdered out in black it mildly pisses me off -- I don't want to hit him, and I don't want someone else to hit him.

Wow, its amazing that you are still thinking like that in this day and age. I almost never ride with a helmet, then again I never really knew there was a debate. I always just kinda thought about America and freedom and choice.
If you don't want to hit a guy "murdered out in black", then don't. Your choice to hit someone shouldn't be based on what they wear. Though I do sometimes feel violent towards fat people who still squeeze themselves into lycra.

j_roe
03-27-2014, 09:00 AM
And espresso cups... and tampers... and umbrellas... and prints... and little toy vans....and flags... and

they do.. but thats still not helmets lol its called advertising your product. ex: a picture of a cap covered by helmet isn't going to show the cap

professerr
03-27-2014, 09:16 AM
Though I do sometimes feel violent towards fat people...

Start with that.

BumbleBeeDave
03-27-2014, 09:41 AM
Wow, its amazing that you are still thinking like that in this day and age. I almost never ride with a helmet, then again I never really knew there was a debate. I always just kinda thought about America and freedom and choice.
If you don't want to hit a guy "murdered out in black", then don't. Your choice to hit someone shouldn't be based on what they wear. Though I do sometimes feel violent towards fat people who still squeeze themselves into lycra.

I highly doubt it was his "choice" to hit anybody!

I want as many drivers as possible to see me when I'm out riding. I've found it seems to be conducive to staying in one piece. If I'm totally clad in black with dark helmet, socks, etc., fewer drivers are going to see me as quickly and all it takes is one.

BBD

54ny77
03-27-2014, 10:22 AM
Speaking as a fat guy, sometimes I want to jam a bucket of mashed potatoes, perhaps a leg of lamb (no mint jelly though, too much sugar) and a side of baked brussels sprouts (with just a sprinkle of olive oil, balsamic, salt & pepper) down the throat of an "epic" skinny cyclist who doesn't have a real job but thinks as a decent cat 3 equipped with shoe covers, he's only 1 race away from making the pro tour.

;)

Though I do sometimes feel violent towards fat people who still squeeze themselves into lycra.

gearguywb
03-27-2014, 10:30 AM
Cold, windy, rainy day. Can't believe I read through 8 pages of this.

Someone owes me 10 minutes of my life back.

BumbleBeeDave
03-27-2014, 11:54 AM
Speaking as a fat guy, sometimes I want to jam a bucket of mashed potatoes, perhaps a leg of lamb (no mint jelly though, too much sugar) and a side of baked brussels sprouts (with just a sprinkle of olive oil, balsamic, salt & pepper) down the throat of an "epic" skinny cyclist who doesn't have a real job but thinks as a decent cat 3 equipped with shoe covers, he's only 1 race away from making the pro tour.

;)

It's an absolutely nothing race but they are absolutely certain the four extra seconds those get them make the difference between victory and obscurity! :p

BBD

oldpotatoe
03-27-2014, 11:59 AM

I want to ride with you.....

beeatnik
03-27-2014, 01:12 PM
if you ride solo, you are probably safer not wearing a helmet. You are most likely to die by being struck by a car. Driver who see a cyclist without a helmet think he is a higher risk and will proceed more cautiously.

By wearing a helmet, you definitely decrease the risk of lacerations, abrasions to the head. But i think most people wear a helmet because they are afraid of tbi. I have yet to see good data on how effective a helmet is in preventing tbi.

The irony here is i wear a helmet most of the time. But then, i buy two mega million tickets because my odds on winning improve. I'm not always rational.

potd

Joachim
03-27-2014, 01:49 PM
It's an absolutely nothing race but they are absolutely certain the four extra seconds those get them make the difference between victory and obscurity! :p

BBD

Or its just 26 degrees outside and I don't want cold feet.

54ny77
03-27-2014, 01:55 PM
Maybe BBD misinterpreted my comment....I was referring to lycra shoe covers...when it's 80 degrees outside....and guys are "training"....on pacific coast highway.

In other words....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA27aQZCQMk

To paraphrase Brando, "I coulda been a climba!"

http://parade.condenast.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/david-bowie-fashion03.jpg

Or its just 26 degrees outside and I don't want cold feet.

miguel
03-27-2014, 02:28 PM
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/taco.gif

54ny77
03-27-2014, 02:47 PM
that animated gif is so disturbing yet so awesome!

professerr
03-27-2014, 03:08 PM
If you ride solo, you are probably safer not wearing a helmet.

What? I've not been on these forums long enough to appreciate what a hot potato issue this topic is -- I can't think of a single person I actually know who now thinks wearing a helmet makes you less safe. A quick google for a sanity check only ended with odd ball stuff. But I'm happy to step outside my circle if it keeps me safe.

No need to clog up the forum -- pm me any legit studies on this stuff (not the anti-vaccine/intelligent design/geocentric universe type stuff, please).

Louis
03-27-2014, 03:19 PM
(not the anti-vaccine/intelligent design/geocentric universe type stuff, please).

That's not fair - in one fell swoop you're discounting all the "data" they have!

Oh, except for anecdotal evidence, I forgot about that.

rando
03-27-2014, 06:51 PM
What happened to these threads appreciating into lobbing humorous softballs at the blatantly line straddling advertising where it crosses into reality, ie cockknocking these fine gentleman right in the business?

Be very honest if you truly think putting a helmet on a clothes rack doesn't detract from the interpretation of the product they are selling. To wit, cheeseburgers on a greasy particle board table or a car 10 minutes into any child carrying or Winter weather commute.

Unclench and try again.

sjbraun
03-27-2014, 07:21 PM
"If you ride solo, you are probably safer not wearing a helmet. You are most likely to die by being struck by a car. Driver who see a cyclist without a helmet think he is a higher risk and will proceed more cautiously."

That's quite a leap.

Louis
03-27-2014, 07:25 PM
So which is it?

A) Drivers are completely oblivious to the world around them, talking on their cell phones, texting, and taking out cyclists as they go, or

B) Drivers all hyper-alert and carefully assess the kit of each cyclist they see, basing their actions on what the rider happens to be wearing.

54ny77
03-27-2014, 07:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZCXVCAHrgI

http://www.splittinghairs.org/simpsons-reference/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/vlcsnap-2012-10-24-04h57m35s253.png

To wit, cheeseburgers....

professerr
03-27-2014, 09:17 PM
"If you ride solo, you are probably safer not wearing a helmet. You are most likely to die by being struck by a car. Driver who see a cyclist without a helmet think he is a higher risk and will proceed more cautiously."

That's quite a leap.

Oh. I see his argument now. I've heard people theorize about risk compensation by the person donning the safety gear, but not the people around him. Hmm. Pretty tough to prove or disprove.

Louis
03-27-2014, 09:27 PM
Pretty tough to prove or disprove.

Do your next 100 rides stark naked. I bet not a single car will hit you.

verticaldoug
03-28-2014, 05:04 AM
Oh. I see his argument now. I've heard people theorize about risk compensation by the person donning the safety gear, but not the people around him. Hmm. Pretty tough to prove or disprove.

In a simple case, let's say wearing a helmet reduces your chance of head injury 50% if you are hit by a car. Let's say not wearing a helmet causes drivers to be more careful and your chances of being hit are reduced by 50%. From your point of view, the probability of head injury by being hit by a car is identical. I'd argue in this case, it is safer not wearing a helmet because not only are your chances of head injury reduce, so are your other injuries you'd potentially receive if hit by car.

Of course, the probabilities above are not factual, so in the real world, what are the probabilities? I don't know. Obviously, there are other ways to crash besides being hit by a car. (except car accidents are the leading cause of death for cyclist)

With the same line reasoning, if riding on a segregated bike path is safer than riding in traffic, if given the option, why ride in traffic and take extra risk?

Whether to wear a helmet or not, is really just an individual choice of risk. Neither right nor wrong.

On the mega million ticket, buying two tickets instead of one increases my odds at winning, but we all know the odds of winning are still practically zero.
Now depending on how I choose to ride, my odds of getting in an accident may be practically zero already. Therefore wearing a helmet is already taking a near zero number and making a itsy bitsy teeny bit closer to zero.

So which is safer? Wearing a helmet dressed in all Rapha black, or riding helmetless in Capo's new HiVis clothing?

christian
03-28-2014, 05:57 AM
Clearly much safer to ride without a helmet in America; the ostracizing you'll get from bicycle clubs will mean you have to ride alone, which reduces by 100% the likelihood of getting clipped by some wheel-overlapping B rider!

(This is a joke. I'm a B rider.)

William
03-28-2014, 06:09 AM
http://awesomegifs.com/wp-content/uploads/dead-horse.gif

William

PS: Wait, he's really working hard on beating that dead horse, Fortunately, he is wearing the Rapha Italian cap toe oxfords. Sophisticated yet different; nothing to make a huge fuss about. Rich dark brown calfskin leather. Matching leather vent. Men's whole and half sizes 7 through 13. Price: $135.00.:p

Vientomas
03-28-2014, 06:27 AM
Please tell me about that Rapha horse beating stick. Love to have one with a pink accent stripe.

druptight
03-28-2014, 06:32 AM
[img]... Rapha italian cap toe oxfords. Sophisticated yet different; nothing to make a huge fuss about. Rich dark brown calfskin leather. Matching leather vent. Men's whole and half sizes 7 through 13. Price: $535.00.:p

fify

bobswire
03-28-2014, 06:57 AM
I finally succumbed and opened the videos and really liked the one with the women. I can relate,when I get out first thing in the morning for a ride and feel chilled I think what am I doing when I could still be under a warm blanket. But once I start riding to warm up a bit,feel the wind in my face, my heart pumping and get into a rhythm there is nothing like it, I feel alive.
The guys video, meh. Besides I'll bet the girls would acknowledge you with a wave if you waved first, the guys not so much.
That's what I'm left with after watching the videos.

avalonracing
03-28-2014, 07:29 AM
Please tell me about that Rapha horse beating stick. Love to have one with a pink accent stripe.

It's just like the stick that the "supervisors" use in the Rapha factory.

El Chaba
03-28-2014, 07:46 AM
It's just like the stick that the "supervisors" use in the Rapha factory.

"Insert to pink line".....

jensenn
03-28-2014, 09:09 AM
It's a hit and miss with people wearing Rapha, but I usually just assume their going to have a slight elitist attitude towards everyone else on the road. example from my ride this morning.

got scolded at by a dude in a rock star kit with a bright pink Rapha jacket this morning for blowing my nose. he did one of these

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view4/3836473/i-m-watching-you-o.gif (http://gifsoup.com/view/3836473/i-m-watching-you.html) GIFSoup (http://gifsoup.com)

told me to look behind me in a deep Eastern European accent. really annoyed me cause I did look and let the person behind pass. I was pretty much in the car lane to avoid any other bikers and lastly you're the one sprinting all over the park like you're in a Rapha commercial.

was I in the wrong here? I thought I did everything to make sure I don't blow my snot onto another rider. in all the years I've been riding this is the first time this happened.

oldpotatoe
03-28-2014, 09:15 AM
It's a hit and miss with people wearing Rapha, but I usually just assume -They're going to have a slight elitist attitude towards everyone else on the road. example from my ride this morning.

got scolded at by a dude in a rock star kit with a bright pink Rapha jacket this morning for blowing my nose. he did one of these

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view4/3836473/i-m-watching-you-o.gif (http://gifsoup.com/view/3836473/i-m-watching-you.html) GIFSoup (http://gifsoup.com)

told me to look behind me in a deep Eastern European accent. really annoyed me cause I did look and let the person behind pass. I was pretty much in the car lane to avoid any other bikers and lastly you're the one sprinting all over the park like you're in a Rapha commercial.

was I in the wrong here? I thought I did everything to make sure I don't blow my snot onto another rider. in all the years I've been riding this is the first time this happened.

Maybe he was Russian.....I'm sure he was pissed cuz he had a Rapha jacket on. Methinks you didn't like the guy already, eastern european sprinter...before the snot flew.

CNY rider
03-28-2014, 09:25 AM
It's a hit and miss with people wearing Rapha, but I usually just assume their going to have a slight elitist attitude towards everyone else on the road. example from my ride this morning.

Was your pinky up or down?

avalonracing
03-28-2014, 11:00 AM
He just didn't want snot, or probably even sweat on his fine, fine threads.

Jaq
03-28-2014, 11:36 AM
Ah, collateral damage from the snot-rocket. It's almost as bad as having to ride behind one of "those guys" and suffer as they sweat off the gallon of cologne they bathe in twice a day.

rustychisel
03-28-2014, 06:12 PM
It's a hit and miss with people wearing Rapha.

Sounds more like a direct hit to me.

bluesea
03-28-2014, 06:35 PM
I'm not quite ready to label riders for their name brands, just because some arrogant a-hole likes the same things. The one guy I saw with a Rapha jersey was a retired type with a "going slow backwards" custom Serotta. Just a rider who probably paid his dues and likes to have nice things is all.

oldpotatoe
03-29-2014, 06:58 AM
I'm not quite ready to label riders for their name brands, just because some arrogant a-hole likes the same things. The one guy I saw with a Rapha jersey was a retired type with a "going slow backwards" custom Serotta. Just a rider who probably paid his dues and likes to have nice things is all.

Reality, what a concept..I'm out!!