PDA

View Full Version : Wheelsets

Russell
02-03-2006, 12:20 PM
A Wheelsmith built Chorus/Open Pro wheelset is about $60 less than the Campy Proton wheelset. Any recommendations on one over the other?

coylifut
02-03-2006, 12:26 PM
pick the standard set. all parts will be much more available and cheaper.

flydhest
02-03-2006, 12:28 PM
I have both. They are both good. The Campy has an offset rear. In principle, this fact should make them "better" all else constant. Of course, all else isn't constant.

I am very pleasantly surprised by the Protons. Campy rims seem to me a bit snugger fit on tires. A minor issue, but there's a bit more wrestling to put on tires in my experience. I don't use levers, however.

I haven't weighed them, but if you care about that and can find a reliable source that has both weights, that could be a difference. I don't have a guess, though.

The Campy wheels are black. Do looks matter?

Sorry I couldn't be more help, but you're welcome to try them if you like. I'm in DC.

Fixed
02-03-2006, 06:12 PM
bro i have an o.p. ultegra wheelsmith set and it's a nice training set i.m.h.o. cheers

shinomaster
02-03-2006, 08:04 PM
The open pro's will be lighter. Neutrons are a bit nicer but they are way more spendy. I raced cross on my open pro's and just got them over hauled and the record hubs (same as Chorus) are super smooth again.

vaxn8r
02-04-2006, 01:33 AM
I had a pair of 32 sp. OP/Record 9sp before I got my first set of Protons. Since then I bought a second set I liked them so much. I felt the Protons felt a little more sure in hard corners, maybe a bit less flex. But that's just how they felt and not based on any measurement. Protons have easily replaceble spokes...you could find in any bike shop. Great wheelset.

Neutrons are not as much a bargain. You do get a Record quality hub (though the Proton hub is very smooth!) and hidden spoke nipples but same rims as Protons. So all the weight savings is in the hubset. I believe this is the only difference besides couple hundred $$$.

shinomaster
02-04-2006, 01:37 AM
Get a pair of 05 Zondas....spoke is selling some...

saab2000
02-04-2006, 06:35 AM
I agree with Mr. VAXN8R. I also had some Record hubs built to Open Pros. Then I got some Nucleons (Same as Neutrons, very similar to Protons) and they felt better. Like he said, there is no measurement to this, but they feel stiffer and more solid. They have been maintainance free thusfar.

If you go with standard hubs, I strongly recommend the Velocity Aerohead OCR for the rear wheel. It has offset spoke holes and this helps to compensate for the weak spoke tension on the non-drive side. I have a set and they feel better, and require much less truing, than my Open Pros ever did.

I am a fan of Campagnolo wheels. The Protons would have somewhat easier maintainance and are probably a better wheel for most people than the Neutron, given that you can true them more easily. The tubular version is available only on the Neutron.

shinomaster
02-04-2006, 12:35 PM
I like my Neutrons a lot and have to only true the front wheel...only because it was a bit off when new...My zondas were rock solid and I have hit some mean bumbs on them..
In contrast the open pro record wheels I got from Quality have been more of a problem. I have broken two rear spokes and the back wheel went out of true after every rough cross race. I think there were just poorly made.

97CSI
02-04-2006, 12:51 PM
The open pro's will be lighter. Neutrons are a bit nicer but they are way more spendy. I raced cross on my open pro's and just got them over hauled and the record hubs (same as Chorus) are super smooth again.Colorado Cyclist built a set of Open Pro CD on Record hubs with my choice of DT spokes at a great price. At my request and no additional charge they used a 28-spoke front hub and 36 spoke rear hub. This is my third set of Open Pro/Record wheels from Colorado Cyclist in the past 10-years and all have been of the highest build quality. Never a problem with them. Tried Ksyriums a few years back and they are far stiffer. Too much for my tender butt. :D

chrisroph
02-04-2006, 02:07 PM
The nucleons rock. They ride really great and are bullet proof. I've got clinchers and tubulars and love them both. Protons are probably almost as good as the clinchers and I bet they are as tough or tougher than even really well built hand builts. I'd get the protons and some centaur/chorus/record hubbed hand built tubies. A guy can't have too many wheelsets.

shinomaster
02-04-2006, 09:11 PM
Magnus Backstead won Paris Roubaix on Nucleons...not neutrons.

saab2000
02-04-2006, 09:15 PM
AFAIK, the only difference between Nucleons and Neutrons is the color of the spokes.

shinomaster
02-04-2006, 09:58 PM
I think they are a different wheel actually.

jerk
02-04-2006, 10:04 PM
protons ane neutrons are stronger wheels becuase of the offset rear rim and the more even spoke tension. a campy handbuilt is a horribly unbalanced beast....a godd builder can make it work, but a good builder can also make anything work.

neutrons and protons are stiffer, stronger and more evenly tensioned than a 32 hole record hub/open pro build.

jerk

shinomaster
02-04-2006, 10:16 PM
That must be why my wheels are always going out of true...Should I race cross on my Zondas?

jerk
02-04-2006, 10:26 PM
That must be why my wheels are always going out of true...Should I race cross on my Zondas?

shino-
cross uses big fat soft tires...its about as easy a life as any wheel can hope to see in a race environment. use the zondas if only because a deep section rim collects less mud than spokes....

but don't believe the jerk, he knows d%ck about cross.

jerk

53-11
02-05-2006, 07:56 PM
protons ane neutrons are stronger wheels becuase of the offset rear rim and the more even spoke tension. a campy handbuilt is a horribly unbalanced beast....a godd builder can make it work, but a good builder can also make anything work.

neutrons and protons are stiffer, stronger and more evenly tensioned than a 32 hole record hub/open pro build.

jerk

I agree. Why not forgoe the Open Pro and maybe choose the arrowhead OCR if you want handbuilt?

Neutrons/Protons are slick design because they are assymetric plus have thicker drive spokes.

Russell
02-06-2006, 11:49 AM
Thanks for all the advice. Since Spoke's Zondas were gone, I went with the Proton's through Total Cycling and got a pair of the Centaur 10-speed shifters for the hell of it.