PDA

View Full Version : OT: Moderate priced ceiling speaker system advice

Aaron O
03-08-2014, 10:26 AM
I know it's totally off topic, but I think the world of this group and trust you more than others. I'd like to spend around $500, but am open to advice if this isn't realistic. We'd like a decent ceiling system of speakers/woofer for the TV/stereo. We're not audiophiles, but we don't want crap. Best bang for the buck? Any advice or musings welcome.

bargainguy
03-08-2014, 10:52 AM
Ceilings & walls not the best place for speakers IMHO as there is not much room for placement to avoid reflections / resonances etc. Most speakers sound best well out into a room, not hugging the walls. I'd much rather live with a small system and careful external speaker placement.

While I'm still Luddite 2-ch stereo, I understand sound bars have come a long way - maybe a cost-effective alternative?

Aaron O
03-08-2014, 11:01 AM
I agree with you, but the wife wants ceiling. There's no alternative :
:help:

bargainguy
03-08-2014, 11:08 AM
Ack! Sorry to hear. Good luck!

Peter P.
03-08-2014, 11:36 AM
Are you planning on installing the SUBWOOFER in the ceiling as well?

Most in-wall subwoofers are meant for in-WALL placement, not in-ceiling placement. The in-wall subwoofers I found start at $1500; way out of your price range.

Nevertheless, assembling a sound system within a budget CAN be fun, 'cause you're shootin' for most bang for the buck.

I like to stick with brand names I'm familiar with. Boston Acoustics and Polk are a couple of my favorites. Also, since auditioning these types of speakers is difficult and often impractical, you usually wind up buying these based on price anyway.

So, a search on the Polk web site shows you can get a couple of in-ceiling speakers for $300/pair and a wireless subwoofer that's NOT in-ceiling/in-wall placed but comes with wireless connectivity which is probably good for your application.

Polk 620 RT Speakers (http://www.polkaudio.com/products/620rt)

Polk PSWi8M Subwoofer (http://www.polkaudio.com/products/pswi8m)

If and when you plan on installing your system, I'd love to hear how successful the job went-including photos!

Ken Robb
03-08-2014, 12:53 PM
Try to get your wife to imagine watching characters on tv while their voices come from 6-10 feet over their heads depending on the height of your ceiling.

While they have limitations I think some tiny satellites with a small sub disguised as a base for artwork or an end table would give vastly superior sound. As suggested above even a soundbar would be better than "voices from above". :)

Aaron O
03-08-2014, 06:26 PM
Try to get your wife to imagine watching characters on tv while their voices come from 6-10 feet over their heads depending on the height of your ceiling.

While they have limitations I think some tiny satellites with a small sub disguised as a base for artwork or an end table would give vastly superior sound. As suggested above even a soundbar would be better than "voices from above". :)

Thanks all - I'll show her the thread, and cross fingers.

shovelhd
03-09-2014, 04:21 PM
Will she go for in-wall that have been painted to match the wall color? You'll do much better with that. There are also ceiling speakers that angle down to the listening area, but they have placement issues.

I sold a lot of JBL in-wall, and own them myself.

AngryScientist
03-09-2014, 04:30 PM
I'd like to spend around $500

are you meaning $500 on equipment or total investment? i dont know if you're doing it yourself, but i would bet installing speakers and running the associated wires will exceed the cost of the equipment.

i'll echo the others sentiments, i'm not really an audiophile either, but about a decade ago i bought some very good on a budget tower speakers and they have been as much as i could have hoped for. i think getting the source of sound right out in front of you is going to be worlds better than in the ceiling, and they make some very nice small speakers these days.

54ny77
03-09-2014, 05:26 PM
having just gone thru this, here's my $0.02: if your space will allow for it, get a decent in-a-box home theater system at best buy for 500 bucks and be done with it. unless you're an audio freak and can hear dolphins, it will satisfy 99% of the need for good quality music and home theater sounds. check craigslist too--lots of folks sell nice gear used.

ceiling-only speakers is goofy. for background music, sure. for theater only, no.

nothing in the walls or the ceiling for that money will sound decent--it's not the speakers, per se, but the power requirements needed to drive quality sound through them. you can get decent in-wall speakers for 100-150 bucks each, but you're going to have to drop at least a thousand+ on a good amp/preamp to make them sound good.

and here's an even easier solution: get a vizio s4251 sound bar with a sub and wireless rear channel speakers. the sound of that thing, for 300 bucks, will blow you away. i'm putting one in a room now because wiring it for full home theater audio would be a joke of an expense.

Aaron O
03-09-2014, 05:52 PM
I've shown her the thread and we've decided to use my mid-range Panasonic stuff...nothing too elaborate, satellites, a sound bar, etc.

Thanks all!

djg
03-09-2014, 06:09 PM
Are you planning on installing the SUBWOOFER in the ceiling as well?

First mix of Hotel California. Never got released.

rice rocket
03-09-2014, 06:14 PM
and here's an even easier solution: get a vizio s4251 sound bar with a sub and wireless rear channel speakers. the sound of that thing, for 300 bucks, will blow you away. i'm putting one in a room now because wiring it for full home theater audio would be a joke of an expense.

Those simulated surround soundbars are cringeworthy.

If one gets forced on you, only amp the front three channels and get real satellites.

54ny77
03-09-2014, 06:38 PM
that unit without the rears still sound great.

If one gets forced on you, only amp the front three channels and get real satellites.

markie
03-09-2014, 06:43 PM

For $500 and an non-intrusive set-up a sound bar is probably the best choice...

54ny77
03-09-2014, 06:51 PM
as i learned, if the t.v. is on a stand on a console (i.e., not mounted on wall) it's important to measure the height of the bar & the lower edge of the t.v., esp. in case the bar blocks the infra red sensor.

Bob Ross
03-10-2014, 09:42 AM
Ceilings & walls not the best place for speakers IMHO as there is not much room for placement to avoid reflections / resonances etc. Most speakers sound best well out into a room, not hugging the walls.

While the number of brands who have done the prerequisite R&D to support this statement can probably be counted on two hands while still leaving a few fingers leftover, it should be noted that there are companies who have engineered speakers specifically to take advantage of inwall/inceiling installation. When done properly you actually eliminate some of the early reflection problems that plague (improperly-positioned) freestanding speakers.

...But not for <$500 including subwoofer. :)

Aaron O
03-10-2014, 02:17 PM
While the number of brands who have done the prerequisite R&D to support this statement can probably be counted on two hands while still leaving a few fingers leftover, it should be noted that there are companies who have engineered speakers specifically to take advantage of inwall/inceiling installation. When done properly you actually eliminate some of the early reflection problems that plague (improperly-positioned) freestanding speakers.

...But not for <$500 including subwoofer. :)I'm guessing not for < $5000 ;)

I'd be more willing to spend, except that I have a perfectly adequate system that I spent around $1000 on as is. Wife really likes the idea of ceiling mount, what can you do?

vqdriver
03-10-2014, 02:49 PM
i'm in a similar spot as the op and have found that you have to find a balance of best audio quality vs real world livability. i don't know too many people who can afford the space premium to have speakers out in the living space of a room and not obstruct it with other furniture or have kids (or themselves) constantly tripping on wiring.

josephr
03-10-2014, 07:58 PM
we don't have them in the ceiling, just your basic 5.1 set-up with the JBL SP series in-wall speaker. they were pretty pricey and if I had to do it again, I'd look at some options from Yamaha or Boston Acoustics or maybe even less-expensive. Save the bucks as you're not going to get super-duper audio quality from these. If you dig deep on the internet or willing to pick through the ads on eBay, you might be able to score some good used ones.

DO NOT get an in-wall subwoofer. Get a separate powered sub-woofer and stick it in a corner. Don't need a lot of power either...my sub is a 150 watt/8" driver and its just fine.

As far as the 'auidio quality' that others are saying---I find the in-wall system to be a great compromise with the missus -- I get B+ audio and there's no disruption to her style preference. Save the magnepans for your basement/man-cave/listening room. :)
Joe

pjm
03-10-2014, 09:41 PM
Women and audio stuff = oil and water......
Don't know why that is. You could bring home speakers with absolutely gorgeous, fine furniture grade cabinets, but to them its like you just parked a pile of garbage in the room.:p

Aaron O
03-11-2014, 07:54 AM
Women and audio stuff = oil and water......
Don't know why that is. You could bring home speakers with absolutely gorgeous, fine furniture grade cabinets, but to them its like you just parked a pile of garbage in the room.:p
At least she doesn't like Ikea or modern aesthetics! The furniture, coffee table, bar, sideboard and dining table are proper, traditional looking wood. It was bad enough marrying someone who likes Mariah Carey, IKEA might have pushed me over the top.

Likes2ridefar
03-11-2014, 09:28 AM
i'm in a similar spot as the op and have found that you have to find a balance of best audio quality vs real world livability. i don't know too many people who can afford the space premium to have speakers out in the living space of a room and not obstruct it with other furniture or have kids (or themselves) constantly tripping on wiring.

my wife flipped when she came home to tower speakers (https://www.google.com/search?q=mirage+omd28&espv=210&es_sm=122&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=gCsfU8XqH7GyygHQsICQAQ&ved=0CEkQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=653) that are about 4+' tall with dual 8" woofers to get an idea of width. They weigh a lot too. it was all i could do to get them up our walkup 5 flight apartment!

then she heard them and all was good. A moving experience brought tears to her eyes from some of her favorite music.