PDA

View Full Version : Sidi Show Question

dschlichting
03-07-2014, 09:49 PM
I have a pair of Sidi Genius 5.5 where I have removed the heel pads for replacement. The nut which is imbedded into the sole has broken loose, so it is not possible to screw the replacement into place.My first thought was to epoxy the thing into place and be done with it.
Does anyone have a more elegant solution?

Llewellyn
03-07-2014, 09:59 PM
As long as you don't smother the area I'd have thought it was an ideal solution. Providing the chemicals in the epoxy won't wreck the sole material of course.

Louis
03-07-2014, 10:18 PM
I agree with epoxy, which is unlikely to affect the plastic.

But don't put too much in there, you'll want to be able to replace the replacement pad too. (assuming the shoes last that long)

Veloo
03-08-2014, 01:12 AM
When you say broken, do you mean a portion is left in the threaded area? If so, would an easy out bit take out the remains? If not then maybe even some strong double sided tape like carpet tape if you're not in the mood for epoxy?

Louis
03-08-2014, 01:14 AM
I think he means that the nut spins freely, so he can't torque up the holding screw.

carpediemracing
03-08-2014, 04:48 AM
If the nut spins freely and you can see it then drill a small hole next to one of the flats and stick an awl/pin/something through it. This should help keep the nut from spinning.

For a more permanent solution an epoxy designed for plastic (and metal) should work, there are some that say don't use on such and such plastic so read the label.

oldpotatoe
03-08-2014, 08:10 AM
I have a pair of Sidi Genius 5.5 where I have removed the heel pads for replacement. The nut which is imbedded into the sole has broken loose, so it is not possible to screw the replacement into place.My first thought was to epoxy the thing into place and be done with it.
Does anyone have a more elegant solution?

Sidi show.....

carpediemracing
03-08-2014, 09:43 AM
If you can get the right size rivnut you can put on in the sole of the shoe. That would be a way to replace a completely missing nut.

Get the appropriate rivnut - flat if you're using epoxy to hold in place, the spikey type if you have plastic soles. I didn't bother looking up the shoe construction.