PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Klein Q Pro cable replacement

pinkshogun
03-07-2014, 04:14 PM
i need to install shifter cables that run through the down tube. so far its been impossible. whats the trick?

Neil
03-07-2014, 04:41 PM
I had success using a straightened wire coat-hanger, once you get that to emerge from the other end of the tube slide a cable sheath over it, then pull that through, then run the wire into that and therefore through the frame.

It took a long, long time to get the coat hanger in one end and out the other, but once that was done it was pretty fast.

the bottle ride
03-07-2014, 04:48 PM
Have you tried a vacuum?
Worked for me on the swing arm of an Orange Sub 5 mtb bike.

pinkshogun
03-07-2014, 05:32 PM
the coat hanger is driving me crazy. my next point of attack is string and a vacuum then hopefully cable housing followed by the cable

John H.
03-07-2014, 06:44 PM
So you pulled out the old cable without dragging a sleeve with it?
You could try using a stainless cable and a magnet.
Use the magnet on the outside to help guide the cable to where you want it.
Not foolproof but sometimes it works.
Next time feed a plastic sleeve over the cable and drag the sleeve through as you remove the cable- then you can easily feed the new one.
I used to own Kleins when they were the King of the road in terms of technology- hated the internal cables and the pressed in headset- other than that they were great.

pinkshogun
03-07-2014, 07:19 PM
right shifter cable breaks while test riding. while on the bike i yank it out before realizing its routed through the downtube. on the stand i make that discovery but figure there's a sleeve running through the downtube...then i make another discovery.

its not my bike, just getting it ready to sell.

then a riding pal poked fun at me....gonna drop the hammer tomorrow...i might even remove the fenders

dziehr
03-08-2014, 09:28 AM
So you pulled out the old cable without dragging a sleeve with it?
You could try using a stainless cable and a magnet.
Use the magnet on the outside to help guide the cable to where you want it.
Not foolproof but sometimes it works.
Next time feed a plastic sleeve over the cable and drag the sleeve through as you remove the cable- then you can easily feed the new one.
I used to own Kleins when they were the King of the road in terms of technology- hated the internal cables and the pressed in headset- other than that they were great.

I remember trying this with a frameset I bought a few years back; I ran into trouble because the housing stop in the frame was steel, not aluminum (preventing me from pulling just the cable).

The coat hanger method and lots of patience worked for me.

Beautiful bikes. Wish I didn't have to sell mine:

oldpotatoe
03-08-2014, 10:07 AM
the coat hanger is driving me crazy. my next point of attack is string and a vacuum then hopefully cable housing followed by the cable

String, vacuum and get some plastic liner to replace the stuff that's missing. Makes it shift better and light years easier to replace inner wire. Along with press in cart BB bearings, really crappy design, Gary.

CunegoFan
03-08-2014, 11:03 AM
String, vacuum and get some plastic liner to replace the stuff that's missing. Makes it shift better and light years easier to replace inner wire. Along with press in cart BB bearings, really crappy design, Gary.

I still have an old Klein with pressfit BB bearings. I put 50K miles on it in all kinds of weather and never had to touch the BB. Maybe I was just lucky.

The image posted above must be a Trek-Klein. Mine has welds sanded so there is a smooth transition between tubes.

fatallightning
03-08-2014, 08:49 PM
I ran the sleeve first. Put a pointy spoke on one end. The exit is a smooth transition so it should find home. The internal brake cable? Just shoot yourself in the face now.

AgilisMerlin
03-08-2014, 09:32 PM
Have you tried a vacuum?
Worked for me on the swing arm of an Orange Sub 5 mtb bike.

Y/ string

Glue string/ Once through / glue

Cable alongside string -

bikinchris
03-08-2014, 09:38 PM
For people doing this without a broken cable. Just tape a cable to the one you are replacing at the derailleur end, then pull the cable being replaced out of the frame. Tape the new cable and pull that back through.

As for working without a cable, I just put a very slight kink in the new shift cable and it will go right through the frame and find the hole. Just hold exactly as much cable as you need at the top. Twist slightly if it won't find the hole in the downtube. If you are having trouble, use a magnet to help.

katematt
03-09-2014, 05:08 AM
My buddies got one of these and I am his wrench.

I have had luck with the magnet. Insert the cable and know how long you have to go. slide the magnet along the outside and the cable should follow it along till you get to the opening.

The stronger the magnet the better, and yes I no longer just pull the old one out now when changing cables.

pinkshogun
03-09-2014, 12:52 PM
i borrowed a vacuum from my sister and the sucked the string through in about 10 seconds

the coat hanger was driving me crazy. magnet was a no go.

thanks for the tips