Jerrous
03-07-2014, 05:31 AM

rwsaunders
03-07-2014, 06:31 AM
Google translate is your friend.

http://translate.google.com/m/translate

phcollard
03-07-2014, 06:42 AM
You ordered a custom frame and you don't know all this yet???

Sorry I cannot offer any help...

Joachim
03-07-2014, 06:46 AM
Where is Christian when you need him to comment?

sandyrs
03-07-2014, 06:53 AM
POTD

But in all seriousness, I would use google translate and try to keep things as short as possible to minimize opportunity for mistranslation- for example, instead of translating "what is the head tube length?" "What is the seat tube length?" etc, just translate "I would like to know" and list out what you want to know. My italian is really rusty but I think "I would like to know:" would be "vorrei sapere:". Unfortunately I can't help with the more bike-specific stuff as much of my vocabulary has vanished.

sandyrs
03-07-2014, 06:54 AM
Another idea is to go to an Italian bike company's website and look at a geo chart in Italian. That should have the Italian for head tube, seat tube etc. on it.

Jerrous
03-07-2014, 06:55 AM

Jerrous
03-07-2014, 06:56 AM

Jerrous
03-07-2014, 06:58 AM

phcollard
03-07-2014, 07:00 AM
Did you read my original post? Why even comment if you "cannot offer any help"?

Because I find you request very weird. But hey that's a free country. Good luck.

AngryScientist
03-07-2014, 07:07 AM
in this case google translate is going to be a mess. as an engineer myself, i deal with this fairly frequently in that the "technical language" you want to speak is not the dictionary language, generally. i think most of your questions would be best answered with a diagram presented to the builder for him to write on, for diameters and such.

the other side of the hurdle, with the questions you have, obviously is the answers. if you are not comfortable asking what a diameter is, you will almost certainly not catch the answer presented to you either.

as for the " thank you, this frame is beautiful" - i bet that sentiment will come out and transcend the language.

good luck, and maybe bring us back some photos of your experience. for what it's worth, i think it's awesome when someone steps way outside their familiar comfort zone for some sort of adventure, and what you're doing sure sounds fun, keep us updated!

Jerrous
03-07-2014, 07:23 AM

Jerrous
03-07-2014, 07:47 AM

ultraman6970
03-07-2014, 07:47 AM
Did you ask the guy if he speaks something else like french or german? italians arent famous for their english to start with.

Good luck with this one, doubt the builder will be of much help either, the italian way... "why so many questions? its just a f... bike!."

ps: keep us posted, this looks like an amazing adventure :)
ps2: I would take the mm part off some of the questions, italians use metric system to start and probably the guy will sense something weird, besides if he gives you centimeters (stubbornness) is not that hard to do the conversion to millimeters.

oldpotatoe
03-07-2014, 07:53 AM
Picking up my custom frame/fork from an Italian builder in a few days. He speaks no English. If you are a native Italian speaker or fluent in the language, please translate the following. Most of the questions are asking for information that I already know, but it doesn't hurt to double check. Also, please add any important questions (with English translation) that you think I left out. Thank you.

1. What is the seat tube diameter in mm?
2. What stem length should I use in mm?
3. What crank length should I use in mm?
4. Is the bottom bracket Italian threaded?
5. What is the rear spacing in mm?
6. Can I have a build sheet that shows all of the measurements for the bike's geometry?
7. What is the head tube diameter in mm?
8. Have the head tube and fork crown been reamed and faced?
9. Is the braze-on derailleur tab setup for 39/53? Will the tab also work with a compact?
10. Has the frame been treated with framesaver or some kind of anti-rust spray?
11. Will you please pack the frame and fork for air travel?
12. Can I leave the threadless fork with you and have a discount on the threaded fork?
13. Thank you so much for building this beautiful bike. I am very happy.

1. Qual č la sede diametro del tubo in mm?
2. La lunghezza dello stelo si deve usare in mm?
3. Che cosa lunghezza manovella si deve usare in mm?
4. Č il fondo Italiano staffa filettata?
5. Qual č la distanza in mm posteriore?
6. Posso avere un foglio che mostra tutte le misure per la geometria della moto?
7. Qual č la testa tubo diametro in mm?
8. Hanno il tubo di sterzo e la forcella crown stato alesato e fronte?
9. Č il deragliatore saldare scheda per 39/53? La scheda funziona anche con una compatta?
10. Il telaio č stata trattata con framesaver o di qualche tipo di spray anti-ruggine?
11. La confezione il telaio e la forcella di viaggiare in aereo?
12. Posso lasciare la forcella con filettatura e vi hanno uno sconto sulla forcella filettata?
13. La ringrazio molto per questa splendida moto. Sono molto felice.

eh? I'll bet it's pretty close..

ultraman6970
03-07-2014, 07:55 AM
Was waiting for this one from potato :)

Actually babylon got this ones quite close too.. testing it.

Jerrous
03-07-2014, 08:00 AM

oldpotatoe
03-07-2014, 08:02 AM
Thanks, "oldpotatoe." You speak Italian?

No, che ho fatto.

Use this web site..it chooses the best service.

http://translation2.paralink.com/

Jerrous
03-07-2014, 08:09 AM

Joachim
03-07-2014, 08:11 AM
http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/forum/smileyvault-popcorn.gif (http://www.smileyvault.com/)

oldpotatoe
03-07-2014, 08:12 AM
I appreciate the reference, but a quick comparison to this diagram indicates discrepancies: http://www.preparazionealciclismo.it/struttura_bici.html

Probably but I'm guessing it'll get the job done..that and go to someplace with a caliper..

Jerrous
03-07-2014, 08:28 AM

phcollard
03-07-2014, 08:29 AM
http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/forum/smileyvault-popcorn.gif (http://www.smileyvault.com/)

:)

Vientomas
03-07-2014, 08:52 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3DX9Ho83QI

Gsinill
03-07-2014, 09:27 AM
1. Qual č il diametro del tubo piantone in mm?
2. A una raccomandazione per la lunghezza della pipa in mm?
3. A una raccomandazione per la lunghezza della pedivella in mm (170, 172,5, 175 etc.)?
4. Quale č il filetto del movimento centrale (italiano o inglese)?
5. Qual č la misura per il mozzo posteriore in mm (130?)?
6. Posso avere un foglio con tutti le misure della geometria della telaio?
7. Qual č il diametro del tubo sterzo in mm?
8. Ha fresate le facce del tubo sterzo et della calotta forcella?
9. Con la posizione della attaccamento per il deragliatore č possibile utilizzare una guarnitura “compact” o solamente un guarnitura classico (39/53)?
10. A trattato il interno dei tubi con “framesaver” (anti-corrosione) o qualcosa di simile?
11. Posso imbalare il telaio e la forcella per trasporto aereo?
12. Posso tenere la forcella con filettatura e darmi uno sconto sulla forcella filettata?
13. Vorrei ringraziarla per una bicicletta splendida. Sono molto felice. Grazie!

Fishbike
03-07-2014, 09:54 AM
So tell us. What builder and what bike? How was the order placed?

oldpotatoe
03-07-2014, 10:17 AM
So tell us. What builder and what bike? How was the order placed?

In Italian?

Jerrous
03-07-2014, 11:28 AM

christian
03-07-2014, 11:48 AM
Where is Christian when you need him to comment?Working like a dog today. Not sure how to say that in Italian. :)

Gsinill
03-07-2014, 11:51 AM
You're welcome.
Let's just say I don't need to speak English when I go to Italy and with a little help from www.ebay.it... ;-)
One of the advantages of being from "Old Europe" and having grown up in an area where you can hop on a motorcycle and drive through 6 countries in one day (if you're stupid and have nothing better to do).
Kinda forces you to learn other languages.

Good luck with the frame/bike!

Jerrous
03-07-2014, 11:55 AM

oldpotatoe
03-07-2014, 12:38 PM
Working like a dog today. Not sure how to say that in Italian. :)

Lavora come un cane oggi.