PDA

View Full Version : Shweeb?

William
03-06-2014, 09:10 PM
Monorail recumbent commuting?

http://www.likecool.com/Car/Transportation/The%20Shweeb/The-Shweeb.jpg

By integrating the unique properties of monorail and recumbent cycle technologies, Shweeb delivers a personal, efficient, and cost-effective transport solution with applications for urban commuting, recreational and fitness markets.

“When I lived in Tokyo I cycled through the city to work and on the weekends rode up the mountains around the city. Tokyo, with its frequent and punctual trains, capsule hotels, high population densities, and vending machines, opened my mind to new possibilities. I came up with the idea of a bicycle monorail network while teaching a class in which the topic for discussion was transport solutions. The idea of riding above the traffic jams on multi-level rails seemed to me the only possible way that Tokyo’s millions of residents could move around the city quickly and safely. It had the added advantages of being environmentally friendly and offering an aerobic workout.

To me this was a project that I could, if I put my mind to it, make happen.”

Geoff Barnett, Shweeb Inventor

Shweeb originated from the desire to create a solution which provided the user with the same flexibility and comfort offered by the car but without the consequential costs - both direct financial and indirect health and environmental costs.

http://shweeb.com

Custom Shweeb builders on the horizon?;)

William

dave thompson
03-06-2014, 09:41 PM
I'll build ya one for free, providing you buy all your plastic cleaner from me!

DRZRM
03-06-2014, 10:15 PM
Please tell me they can link together into commuter convoys to improve aerodynamics.

Quote!

"Impact-cushioning buffers at each end of the pods allow faster pods to run into slower pods and form a Shweeb ‘peloton’. This increases aerodynamic efficiency and, unlike a bicycle peloton, the power produced by those behind can contribute to the overall power of the group, thereby increasing speed and efficiency and removing the need to overtake. Should the rider in front refuse to pedal, the extra effort required by the rider(s) behind is minimal due to the low rolling resistance and single aero-pressure point of the peloton."

Awesome!!

tiretrax
03-06-2014, 10:23 PM
That will feel great in the summer sun.

alastair
03-06-2014, 10:28 PM
What happens when the avid cyclist gets stuck behind the smoker that just got a DUI? Shweeb Rage!

Louis
03-06-2014, 11:06 PM
Neat, but I bet the drag due to the carrier / slider friction + the aero drag is way higher than the drag of a regular ol' rider on a diamond frame bike using drop bars.

I'll settle for a regular bike path (unless it's raining, in which case the pods may be a bit more comfortable)

Ti Designs
03-07-2014, 05:03 AM
I kinda want to see what happens when William gets into one of those...

William
03-07-2014, 07:26 AM
I kinda want to see what happens when William gets into one of those...

Two words: Canned ham.

One word: Shoehorn.

William

cdn_bacon
03-07-2014, 07:36 AM
how do you pass the slower shweebers?:eek: