PDA

View Full Version : Way way OT: Road Trip

malcolm
03-06-2014, 08:57 AM
I'll be taking a road trip with my 11 y/o son once school is out, spring early summer. We plan to fly somewhere and rent a car/jeep, whatever is appropriate and do a 7-10 day loop from the airport and back. Kinda interested in the sights, back roads and off the beaten path stuff. I was considering somewhere up the east coast maybe as far as Maine or possibly west like Colorado, Montana or maybe the Dakotas, but really we can fly anywhere to start. I'm looking for the most to see and do over a week. Any suggestions?

bking
03-06-2014, 09:06 AM
highway one. plenty do see and do. rent a car in LA, leave it in Portland or Seattle, or vice versa.

azrider
03-06-2014, 09:26 AM
South-western Colorado. Rent a jeep in Ouray and hit all the old abandonded gold/silver mines. We did that when i was about his age with my family and my older brother and we all loved it. We had planned to fit it all into one day and managed to stretch it into three. Durango-Silverton railroad is also close by so are many other things in that part of the state.

nighthawk
03-06-2014, 09:36 AM
My girlfriend and I are doing a similarly planned trip in June. We are flying into Portland, OR.. renting a vehicle and doing a 10 day loop up into Washington state around Olympic National Park. Camping and hoteling it as we see fit. We'll be mostly hiking and birdwatching, and trying to rent bikes atleast one or two days. Keeping things somewhat open ended so we can be spontaneous and adventure where the day takes us.

I think any of your proposed locations sound worthwhile. If it were me.. well I'm partial to the west. Maine, especially the coast and north woods is nice.. but the terrain might seem redundant. I'd go somewhere with topography variation, mountains and lakes... wide open spaces.

roguedog
03-06-2014, 09:37 AM
Sounds like this'll be a great trip. I think whatever you do, it'll be one of those lasting childhood memories. I have total memories of road trips to all the national parks my parents could find.

With that some ideas:

Bryce and Zion national parks, maybe go to the dinosaur museum in vernal if he's into that
Yellowstone, Grand tetons and Jackson hole. so much to do out there
Can also drive down the east coast DC-towards FL, so you get big city w/ cool Smithsonian and then some cool history spots down the road and maybe end with some beach time in SC and then turn around somewhere
You can also do LA, Hollywood thing and then head on down to San Diego/Carlsbad/La Jolla for some beach time

Also not sure where you're from so some these maybe too close to you/too familiar already.

As I said, it'll be great memories for him whereever you choose. Maybe not in the moment (:p) but later it will be.

Ralph
03-06-2014, 09:51 AM
South-western Colorado. Rent a jeep in Ouray and hit all the old abandonded gold/silver mines. We did that when i was about his age with my family and my older brother and we all loved it. We had planned to fit it all into one day and managed to stretch it into three. Durango-Silverton railroad is also close by so are many other things in that part of the state.

This....and add a few days for Moab Utah. You can do the jeep trails around there. See some dino tracks in local narional Parks. Great place for kids.http://www.discovermoab.com/ My brother and I, with two Jeeps, took our kids on the 100 + mile White Rim Trail. Kids loved it. Take lots of water. And keep in mind, what a 11 year old might like is not necessarily what you might prefer doing. With 4 kids and 7 grandkids, I've learned when they go we do a trip for them, not for me.

2LeftCleats
03-06-2014, 09:58 AM
I second the recommendation for the Olympic peninsula. Lots to do in a relatively compact area: Coast, Mt Ranier, Sol Duc hot springs, Ho rainforest.

Ken Robb
03-06-2014, 10:01 AM
One idea: Fly to Oakland. Drive to Gold Rush town of Columbia, Yosemite, Lake Tahoe, Highway 89 north to Lassen Park. You could continue north to Oregon but it will probably be time to head to Mendocino on the coast and then back to SF.

goonster
03-06-2014, 10:03 AM
Las Vegas, Flagstaff, Durango, Moab, Kanab, Glendale, St. George, Las Vegas.

Nat'l Parks available on that loop: Grand Canyon, Canyonlands, Zion, Arches, Bryce, Grand Staircase/Escalante, Capital Reef, and I might be forgetting some.

Bradford
03-06-2014, 10:16 AM
Yellowstone. Best place I've ever been. If you two hike, get a back country permit and get off the paved roads for a couple of days.

carpediemracing
03-06-2014, 10:34 AM
I'll be taking a road trip with my 11 y/o son once school is out, spring early summer. We plan to fly somewhere and rent a car/jeep, whatever is appropriate and do a 7-10 day loop from the airport and back. Kinda interested in the sights, back roads and off the beaten path stuff. I was considering somewhere up the east coast maybe as far as Maine or possibly west like Colorado, Montana or maybe the Dakotas, but really we can fly anywhere to start. I'm looking for the most to see and do over a week. Any suggestions?

Putting a location in your profile, even if it's super vague ("East Coast") would help.

I'm on the East Coast (Connecticut) so for me a trip to, say, NYC wouldn't be very interesting. For a few years we went to Vegas and headed out on day-trips from there.

What's nice about Vegas, at least for someone in CT, is that the flights are usually not too bad, the initial hotel stay (if applicable) will be reasonable, food is typically cheap, and there's a lot in the area to see (various national parks etc).

Also, in late April (latest I've gone) it's pretty warm out during the day, maybe a bit chilly at night. I think June or whatever would be hot.

I've driven out to Vegas from the San Diego area. I wouldn't say there's much to see per se in SD but not sure what you want to see. Legoland? Zoo? Go for bike rides? See the navy base? Camp Pendleton? Old Town? Where the Exxon Valdez was repaired and renamed? Maybe coincide the trip with some (bigger) bike race?

If you're going to Maine in the summer then bring a beekeeper mask/hat and buckets of DEET. It's pure hell with mosquitos and flies, at least in northern Maine. Even in late September it's pretty bad. My MIL and her husband live up there and they very carefully invite us up when the bugs are mostly gone, like when it's snowing.

Regardless I think it'll be interesting. As a kid we went on out-and-back trips (drive out one day, stay a few, drive back on the last day), and when I got out of school I took a 4 week trip on my own around the country.

Not sure where you're thinking of staying and not sure what they're like now but when I did my trip I stayed in youth hostels most of the time. They have good resources for local things to do, you meet fellow travelers doing similar things, you're automatically kicked out during the day (most are closed during the day), and it's very inexpensive. Some of the more run down places also give you an appreciation for what you have at home.

As I'd like to do something like this in the future I'm curious how things go.

rwsaunders
03-06-2014, 10:35 AM
Five most memorable "road" trips with the kids so far, not in order of favorites...

1. Northern CA including San Francisco, Sonoma and Yosemite.
2. Starting in Vegas and heading into parts of the Grand Canyon, New Mexico and Colorado (Durango).
3. Home base in Seattle and traveling through the Olympic Peninsula.
4. Starting on the Gulf side of Florida, heading through the Everglades and working our way to a home base in the Keys...a day in key West of course
5. New York City...need I say more.

BumbleBeeDave
03-06-2014, 10:44 AM
. . . with a few modifications. Fly into Grand Junction, rent the Jeep or other SUV from there. This places you within reasonable drive of so much. . . .

Dinosaur national Park
Bryce Canyon
Arches
Canyonlands
Canyon de Chelly

The list goes on and on.

In the Durango area alone there's Mesa Verde, MTB riding heaven, rafting on the Animas River, and the D&SNG steam railroad. I guarantee you and your son would never, ever forget a day excursion on the steam train. It will absolutely blow you away . . .

http://www.durangotrain.com/

BBD

cnighbor1
03-06-2014, 10:48 AM
the state of Oregon would offer a lot of varied terrain. from the Pacific ocean to the cascades to the high plains. not to leave out the snake canyon. I riden a lot of it and always amazed what the state has to offer
Also some costal redwoods to see just over the south border
and very low population to deal with
than there is carter lake

gearguywb
03-06-2014, 11:06 AM
Colorado. Easy access to Denver. Make a loop to the south and west. Come back across the divide and hit Breckenridge and some of the high country. It will be a fantastic trip.

metalheart
03-06-2014, 11:24 AM
Fly into Spokane and then drive up the Idaho Panhandle and cross into Montana headed for the Yaak Valley and stop at the Dirty Shame Saloon (http://www.dirtyshamesaloon.net/)(don't bother to check your gun at the door). Watch out for bears, moose, elk, deer, and the errant caribou (http://http://www.thewildlifenews.com/2012/02/26/remaining-woodland-caribou-in-u-s-in-idaho-barely-holding/). If you need a place to stay in the area or you want to do some spectacular fishing, try Tim Linehan (http://http://www.fishmontana.com/) -- he has a nice lodge and is a great fishing guide.

From Yaak drive east toward Kooteani Lake headed for Glacier National Park. Enjoy the park, head south to Yellowstone going some of the back roads and try not to miss the Big Hole Valley --- you can get a custom cowboy hat made at the Buffalo Gal Hat Company (http://bigholevalley.com/Buffalo_Gal_Hat_Company.html). You can then go east through Dillon to Yellowstone or if you are adventurous and want to see some really wild country go south and meander through some backroads to the Red Rock Lakes National WIldlife Refuge (http://www.fws.gov/redrocks/photos.html) (watch out for low flying swans and cranes) and then cut across to Yellowstone or go south to Grand Teton and then back north to Yellowstone. On the way back you can also cut across the mountains following the Lewis and Clark path (http://lewisandclarktrail.com/section3/montanacities/missoula/lolotraila.gif) into Idaho and follow the Clearwater River for some scenic views (fishing is not bad either).

merlinmurph
03-06-2014, 12:26 PM
Yellowstone, Grand Teton NP, do Beartooth Pass. I think an 11 yo would get a kick out of seeing all the animals all over the place - bears, antelope, bison, moose.

As much as we love Maine, I think an 11 yo would be bored. I was even going to suggest Nova Scotia and the Cabot Trail 'til I remembers there was a little guy involved.

Hav a blast wherever you go, lots of cool places.

Just my 2 cents,
Murph

malcolm
03-06-2014, 01:33 PM
Wow overwhelming response. I'll read them more closely when I get off work.

We are in the southeast, Birmingham, Al to be exact. We are willing and able to fly anywhere though.

Is it problematic to rent a vehicle one way?

You guys are awesome, thanks.

CNY rider
03-06-2014, 02:03 PM
If the east coast is in the running how about flying to Albany NY or Burlington VT and then touring the Adirondacks and Champlain Valley?
Lots of great hiking, and Lake Placid and Burlington are fun. The museum in Blue Mountain Lake is cool and there's a new visitor center in Tupper Lake that looks cool too.
Just be careful on timing. Thr blackflies are horrible in late spring. They arrive around Memorial Day and usually stay well into June depending on weather conditions. With the winter we are having they will probably be late this year.

buldogge
03-06-2014, 02:47 PM
We do a 2 week car trip every summer right after school let's out (mine just turned 8).

If you are set on early June then, unfortunately, Glacier is probably not ideal.

All of the NP suggestions have been spot on...although, as you already know, you'll have to intersperse with some "kid" activities.

I'm partial to SW Utah...you can fly into Vegas...and easily hit Zion, Bryce, Canyonlands, N. Rim Grand Canyon, Escalante, and more.

If you go to Yellowstone you will have no trouble filling your time...driving around that vast wonder is time consuming in itself! Make sure you also visit the Tetons (do not miss) and also consider the Big Horns and especially The Wind River range, if you backpack!

If you co to SW CO don't forget Mesa Verde...incredible stuff...beautiful camping under the stars.

We might mix it up this year and drive from SF to Portland or vice versa, with a side trip to Yosemite/Sierras...

-Mark in St. Louis

tiretrax
03-06-2014, 03:13 PM
We do a 2 week car trip every summer right after school let's out (mine just turned 8).

If you are set on early June then, unfortunately, Glacier is probably not ideal.

All of the NP suggestions have been spot on...although, as you already know, you'll have to intersperse with some "kid" activities.

I'm partial to SW Utah...you can fly into Vegas...and easily hit Zion, Bryce, Canyonlands, N. Rim Grand Canyon, Escalante, and more.

If you go to Yellowstone you will have no trouble filling your time...driving around that vast wonder is time consuming in itself! Make sure you also visit the Tetons (do not miss) and also consider the Big Horns and especially The Wind River range, if you backpack!

If you co to SW CO don't forget Mesa Verde...incredible stuff...beautiful camping under the stars.

We might mix it up this year and drive from SF to Portland or vice versa, with a side trip to Yosemite/Sierras...

-Mark in St. Louis

You could do CO, Tetons, and Salt Lake or CO and Utah depending on how much time you want to spend hiking and camping. New England will also be good. You could see Boston, Maine, some of NH and VT, and Newport in a week.

oliver1850
03-06-2014, 03:24 PM
My grandpa and I made a big loop of his old haunts in the early 80s. Route was roughly: Cheyenne, Gillette, Cody , Yellowstone, Billings, Great Falls, Deer Lodge, Yellowstone, Jackson, Rock Springs, Craig, Meeker, Rifle, Silverton, Durango, Mesa Verde, Colorado Springs, then home. We drove 2 lanes wherever possible, including the kind where you have to get out and open gates. Starting and ending in Denver it would be around 2,800 miles. We had a bit of everything from touristy stuff like Old Faithful and the Cody Stampede to visits with ranchers that he'd hunted with for 50 years. We also stopped at some small museums like the Towe Ford museum in Deer Lodge. It's hard to take in everything you might want to do on this type of trip. I wanted to fish in the Gunnison area but we didn't take the time. Best to prioritize your stops somewhat, including what your son really wants to see. My dad was never really forgiven by us kids on a trip where we made it to the parking lot of Harrah's auto museum and he decided we didn't have time to go in.

adampaiva
03-06-2014, 03:32 PM
I did this road trip this summer on a motorcycle.
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2883/9617288855_9b6dfd3718_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/adampaiva/9617288855/)
20130828-IMG_2572.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/adampaiva/9617288855/) by adam.paiva (http://www.flickr.com/people/adampaiva/), on Flickr
This was over 65 days but if I were to pick one part for a 10 day trip, it would be one of the following, in order from #1 - #3:
-Yellowstone, Montana, Wyoming, Idaho
-California PCH and Redwoods and wine country
-West Texas, New Mexico, Grand Canyon/AZ

jds108
03-06-2014, 04:32 PM
Also, if you decide to go with Washington/Idaho/Montana - Canada isn't too far away and has some fantastic spots - Lake Louise, Vancouver, Whistler, many more that I can't recall.

c-record
03-06-2014, 04:45 PM
I like these answers and this thread.

Louis
03-06-2014, 05:05 PM
than there is carter lake

The one with the killer rabbit?

http://www.wnyc.org/i/raw/1/YHS_Rabbit_Carter_1.jpg

tmf
03-06-2014, 07:15 PM
If you end up in Colorado, I recommend adding Mesa Verde to the list of places to check out.

In California, Oakland is a good place to start - there are almost unlimited places to go withing 2-3 hours in every direction (Yosemite, Redwoods, Monterey, Big Sur, Napa & Sonoma Valleys, Eureka, San Francisco).

If you have Netflix, the documentary on National Parks by Ken Burns is great to watch. After my wife and I watched it, we wanted to take a year or two off to roam around the country!

There are so many great destinations, you might think about an annual or bi-annual trip if possible.

victoryfactory
03-07-2014, 06:14 AM
I second (third?) all the replies that refer to Moab.
The canyonlands of Utah are the ultimate on/off road destination with a perfect
combination of National Parks, BLM lands and unimaginable beauty.
You can fly in and out of Denver, Las Vegas, Salt Lake City or Phoenix and access the area from any direction you wish.
(I prefer Las Vegas for easy in and out and cheap flights.)

The Moab area is my favorite place for a base. Miles and Miles of jeep roads.

You will never forget this part of the world.
Zion NP
Bryce NP
Canyonlands NP
Arches NP
Capitol Reef NP
Four Corners
Canyon Deshelly NM
Deadhorse point
Ruins, petroglyphs, Colorado river, desert, mountains solitude.

You could go there every year for 25 years and never get enough*

VF

*Direct personal experience

Sunrise, Six Shooter near Canyonlands NP, Utah

nighthawk
03-07-2014, 06:35 AM
^^Do this^^

And read Edward Abbey's "Desert Solitaire" before you go!

nighthawk
03-07-2014, 06:41 AM
*double post*

victoryfactory
03-07-2014, 06:54 AM
Wow overwhelming response. I'll read them more closely when I get off work.

We are in the southeast, Birmingham, Al to be exact. We are willing and able to fly anywhere though.

Is it problematic to rent a vehicle one way?

You guys are awesome, thanks.

For the western stuff, It's actually cheaper to fly out and rent your vehicle
there then return it to the airport. You save a few days of interstate highways too.
I drove out and back in the old days with my bike, tent etc and it was pure joy. But I
also didn't mind a couple of 18hr driving days to get there. Lately, my wallet and my back are
barking. So I ship a couple of boxes with camping/hiking gear to a cheap motel in Las Vegas
and pick it up when I arrive. Stay one night and pick up supplies in the morning. Off I go! Works great.
VF

malcolm
03-07-2014, 08:56 AM
thanks for all the replys. It's a lot to consider. At this point leaning toward, Utah, west south west area or maybe pacific northwest, but still have a lot of things to consider and maps to look at.

Thanks again, this is exactly the kind of info I was looking for.