PDA

View Full Version : Austin/SXSW

plattyjo
03-05-2014, 11:25 AM
Heading from the Bay Area to Austin tomorrow for SXSW! Won't have time to ride my bike much, so I'll probably just use the bike share to get around. But if there's any cool bike stuff worth checking out, let me know!

1happygirl
03-05-2014, 11:53 AM
wanted to go this year. would be a nice meet up. seems there are a lot of Austin pacelinelers.
Lots of people have moved from Cali I understand to Austin. Last time I was there, it had changed from when I went to school and the traffic was crazy..
Maybe a good thing your not biking much in town.

anyway I'm sure you know but get the app from the app store. very helpful

lots bike stuff in town (obviously me from the stix, old hat to you prob). Mellow Js obviously, Kevin L is there some I think
Sorry don't know about SXSW bike specifically.

have fun:hello:. keep us posted.

plattyjo
03-05-2014, 12:13 PM
Thanks! Last time I was in Austin was ages ago, so look forward to checking some other stuff out when I have a chance. And I have the app already so I'm all set!

zap
03-05-2014, 12:18 PM
I'm headed to Austin later this year so am interested to learn whats new.

Last I was in Austin, Lance had his event and I got to hang with Eddy and Miguel and watch with amusement as Raul chased young girls into a bar.

Might even do some house hunting……...

tiretrax
03-05-2014, 01:40 PM
wanted to go this year. would be a nice meet up. seems there are a lot of Austin pacelinelers.
Lots of people have moved from Cali I understand to Austin. Last time I was there, it had changed from when I went to school and the traffic was crazy..
Maybe a good thing your not biking much in town.

anyway I'm sure you know but get the app from the app store. very helpful

lots bike stuff in town (obviously me from the stix, old hat to you prob). Mellow Js obviously, Kevin L is there some I think
Sorry don't know about SXSW bike specifically.

have fun:hello:. keep us posted.

Livingston's studio is in the bottom of Mellow Johnny's. No matter what you think of Lance, it's a cool store, and you should check it out.

Austin has changed radically - too many ex-californians. It's a zoo during SXSW - a taxi or pedicab will be the best way to get around.

Netdewt
03-05-2014, 01:59 PM
I am also heading to Austin in about a month. Would love to know what to check out.

yngpunk
03-05-2014, 03:34 PM
Austin has changed radically - too many ex-californians. It's a zoo during SXSW

...when I was a kid...:)

Kind of sad to see what SXSW has become with all of the corporate sponsorship and such...

radsmd
03-05-2014, 10:21 PM
Taking the family to the Formula 1 US Grand Prix in November. Planning on hitting San Antonio and Austin. This thread has reminded me to do some more research.

texbike
03-06-2014, 08:34 AM
Heading from the Bay Area to Austin tomorrow for SXSW! Won't have time to ride my bike much, so I'll probably just use the bike share to get around. But if there's any cool bike stuff worth checking out, let me know!

Welcome to Austin! I hope that you enjoy your time in our lovely town.

Personally I wouldn't worry about bike stuff with all of the SXSW stuff going on. If you have to get a bike fix, Mellow Johnny's (as others have already mentioned) is probably the only must-see, "destination" bike shop in the downtown area. Other shops close to downtown if you care to visit are Bicycle Sport Shop (mainly Trek/Spec), Fast Folks, East Side Pedal Pushers, and Austin Bikes. Jack and Adams and Austin Tri-Cyclist are close in but geared more toward the Tri crowd. If you happen to get North of UT, there is a great shop called The Peddler (my personal favorite-good people). There is also a shop North of campus called Clown Dog which is next to a landmark spot for beer and burgers that goes by the name of Crown & Anchor. I highly recommend it.

I'm sure that I've missed something, but those are the closest shops to downtown. Be sure to see the Capitol (and have a drink next door at the Cloakroom), the Texas History Museum if you have time, eat at the Chili Parlour (good stuff and more than Chili-but not a good spot for vegies/vegans), and be sure to eat at Stubbs and/or Green Mesquite.

Have fun!

Texbike

camchris1
03-06-2014, 10:33 AM
Adding to what Texbike offered up I would make a stop at Division One bikes on East 7th (walking distance from the bars/clubs on Sixth Street/downtown). I would argue that they carry the most "bling" in Austin for components, etc. Some serious money in that little shop. Its a pretty cool place as well in terms of design.

Cyclest in far East Austin is a really great up-and-coming shop. Ask for Russell (the nearly 7 foot tall guy). He and his wife just had twins, good people.

Austin Bikes on West Sixth (walking distance from the downtown Whole Foods) is another solid shop with nice stuff.

SXSW is a zoo, a fun and frustrating zoo. Enjoy!!

plattyjo
03-06-2014, 11:15 AM
Cool, thanks for the recommendations!

Other food recommendations are appreciated, as I LOVE FOOD! :)

texbike
03-06-2014, 11:20 AM

Oh hell! You should have a good time with the restaurants. Austin has blown up in the last few years with different food choices. Any particular limitations? Are you vegetarian, vegan, etc? What are your favorite kinds of food?

Texbike

tiretrax
03-06-2014, 03:22 PM
Stubbs and/or Green Mesquite.

I vote for La Barbecue on South 1st Street. Forget about Franklin's.

Teo Gelatto, too.

Martin's Comebak (aka Dirty's) is a great burger institution just north of UT. It would be hyperbole to say I had a mealplan there, but I ate a lot of burgers there in the 80's.

plattyjo
03-07-2014, 07:02 AM
Awesome - thanks, all! I have no dietary restrictions so any more suggestions would be welcome.

kgreene10
03-07-2014, 10:17 AM
When I eat unhealthy food, I go to Hoover's Cooling on Airport. They know how to fry. Try the okra, the Elgin sausage, and the fried chicken. Oh, and the black eyes peas stewed with collards and jam hocks. Oh-oh, and the collards themselves (with more ham hocks). Strange they don't just make a plate of ham hocks!

If you need a respite from the craziness and it's a nice day, come sit on the deck overlooking the river at Mozart's Cafe on Lake Austin Blvd.

weisan
03-07-2014, 10:26 AM
Jo-pal, I pm-ed you my local contact no. Feel free to call if you need help.

texbike
03-07-2014, 07:18 PM

Aaarghhh, just saw this.... Sorry for the delayed reply.

Be sure to check out the food trailers in and around downtown. Fantastic food abounds. Outside of those, here are a few of my favorite (with personality) by food genre:

Indian - Garage Mahal on Red River
Dive Mexican - Juan In a Millions on East Caeser Chavez (try the Don Juan)
Nice(r) Mexican - Guerro's on South Congress
Newish Mexican - Torchy's Tacos (any of them)
BBQ- Green Mesquite, Stubb's, Rudy's, Ruby's...(PLENTY of options)
French - Chez Nous on 5th
Pizza-Frank and Angie's West Ave/5th
Burgers- Hut's on 6th

Other, Austin-esque, non-genre specific spots to give a try -

Chili Parlour (already mentioned) on Lavaca St. (by the Capitol)
Threadgills on Riverside/1st
Sholtz Garten on San Jacinto
Kerbey Lane Cafe (the one ON Kerbey Lane)
The Omelettry on Burnet - GREAT breakfasts - go there -it'll be moving soon. :(
Justine's on East 5th

Those should be a few options to get you started. Have fun!

Feel free to send me a PM if you would like to get together for a cup of coffee or beer and an in person "howdy" while you're here.

Cheers,

Texbike

1happygirl
03-07-2014, 08:01 PM
Chuys
Quality down a bit since it went public but fajitas marinated in Shiner.
Ymmmm

plattyjo
03-07-2014, 10:50 PM
Thanks for all of the suggestions! I did end up going to Franklin's since it's right near where I'm staying and 3 hours later...happy meat coma. Which was fine since I had to wait 2.5 hours to get in a session!

I will definitely try and hit up some of these other spots but I have a feeling I will be stuck standing in lines...

plattyjo
03-07-2014, 10:53 PM
@Texbike - I think I will be too busy to meet up but I'll let you know if I can!

dan682
03-08-2014, 04:08 PM
I've been watching this thread... gf and I are going there 3/27 - 3/30, staying downtown. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Seramount
03-08-2014, 05:00 PM
no need to worry about riding in AUS this weekend...

the weather is crap. raining, windy...

pulling out the rollers...blech.

sworcester
03-09-2014, 04:34 PM
Torchy's Tacos. Leave you're caloric count at the door and order the Libertarian (off menu) with it's fried and breaded Jalapeno sausage cheese and sauce. Fantastic. But the fish tacos and quite frankly all are great.

Breakfast at Kerbey Lane is great too.

plattyjo
03-09-2014, 06:48 PM
I actually rode around town in the rain yesterday - it was madness! Took a short spin on Scenic Drive tonight to make up for the soggy stormitude of yesterday.

I'm sad to report I haven't had time to eat out - just been rushing around to sessions so I've been eating bad food at the convention center. I'm going to make an effort to at least get breakfast somewhere tasty!

Netdewt
03-28-2014, 09:55 AM
Any tips on where to rent a bike in Austin?

texbike
03-28-2014, 10:19 AM
Any tips on where to rent a bike in Austin?

Bicycle Sport Shop for sure. Maybe Mellow Johnny's.

Texbike