PDA

View Full Version : Enve fork rattling?

phcollard
03-05-2014, 08:23 AM
'morning foks!

So I just got a brand new Enve 2.0 fork and while playing with it I noticed a rattling sound coming from the blades. It's rather loud and high pitched and you can hear it just by gently tapping on either of the blades. Just as if there was something loose inside (but there is not). The rattle goes almost totally away when you clamp a wheel in the thing.

I sent an email to Enve but anybody has an idea of what's going on? STFU and ride it? Or it's not normal?

Cheers,

Philippe.

David Kirk
03-05-2014, 08:29 AM
Sure sounds like there is a loose chunk of epoxy floating around in there. It seems very unlikely that it would cause any issues beyond the noise.......but if the noise would bother you, like it would me, I'd ask Enve for a new fork.

dave

phcollard
03-05-2014, 02:33 PM
Thanks Dave.

Anybody experienced this before with their Enve fork?

tigoat
03-05-2014, 04:40 PM
I have 3 ENVE road disc forks (2.0 equivalent?) and none of them have this problem. However, I got a Whisky No. 9 road disc fork that had something loose rattle inside but after shaking it very hard in a few times, the rattle was gone and have not had any issue since then. It must be some sort of debris from the molding or some excess fibers broken inside, which might be harmless but can be annoying.

Idris Icabod
03-05-2014, 05:27 PM
My friend had some rattling with some bars, turned out another friend had placed BB pellets in it and some had gotten behind the bladder, took the bike shop to diagnose it and find the pellets, friend fessed up and we all had a good laugh (except the bike owner). Got any friends who are a$$holes?

AgilisMerlin
03-05-2014, 05:44 PM
Ahhhh ,

BB's

phcollard
03-05-2014, 05:49 PM
Ahhhh ,

BB

Yeah. Exactly! :)

No my friends are all normal people, sorry!

Call me a perfectionist if you will but I find this slightly annoying...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d3jc52h7bny3mog/MVI_0005.MOV

tuscanyswe
03-05-2014, 05:54 PM
I think thats the sound of vibrations?
Would make sense since disappearing when clamped

tiretrax
03-05-2014, 05:57 PM
Seems to me that it wants to be a tuning fork. I've never done that with a bicycle fork, but I will try when I get home (I have an unmounted EDGE fork).

Tony
03-05-2014, 05:59 PM

I bet if you had a hub, skewer attached to the fork you would not hear anything, I think its just vibration.

phcollard
03-05-2014, 06:05 PM

Could be but I have had several Reynolds Ouzo, Columbus Minimal, and other carbon forks and it's the first time I experience this.

It's almost disappearing when clamped but it's still there. And there is nothing moving inside the fork... Very strange! But I probably worry too much as usual.

nicrump
03-05-2014, 06:06 PM
i have handled literally hundreds upon hundreds of these forks and nary a rattle.

given the method of construction, loose epoxy is not likely. these are molded in one piece from steerer down to dropout with fairly low resin content prepreg and very high pressure bladders, little opportunity for a loose chunk.

i've taken a few to the band saw and can't imagine how anything went loose in one of these.

you should at least contact Enve and ask if this is expected or acceptable.

or, given it subsides with clamping the drops, is this just resonance you are misinterpreting as rattle? <--#edit# as has been suggested

phcollard
03-05-2014, 06:07 PM
Seems to me that it wants to be a tuning fork. I've never done that with a bicycle fork, but I will try when I get home (I have an unmounted EDGE fork).

I would be happy to hear how it turns out please.

I don't tap on forks for leisure :D but I was just playing with it this morning when the fork lightly bumped something and bzzzzzzz. I found it weird.

phcollard
03-05-2014, 06:10 PM
i have handled literally hundreds upon hundreds of these forks and nary a rattle.

given the method of construction, loose epoxy is not likely. these are molded in one piece from steerer down to dropout with fairly low resin content prepreg and very high pressure bladders, little opportunity for a loose chunk.

i've taken a few to the band saw and can't imagine how anything went loose in one of these.

you should at least contact Enve and ask if this is expected or acceptable.

or, given it subsides with clamping the drops, is this just resonance you are misinterpreting as rattle? <--#edit# as has been suggested

Thanks for your input Nick. Much appreciated!

I am still waiting to hear from Enve. Curious to hear what they say. Will report.

That is definitely not resonance. I can even feel the buzz in the hand holding the fork.

nicrump
03-05-2014, 06:14 PM
Thanks for your input Nick. Much appreciated!

I am still waiting to hear from Enve. Curious to hear what they say. Will report.

That is definitely not resonance. I can even feel the buzz in the hand holding the fork.

tip the fork over, steerer on the bench. does it settle in the crown area? will it fall out?

phcollard
03-05-2014, 06:30 PM
tip the fork over, steerer on the bench. does it settle in the crown area? will it fall out?

You mean resting the steerer on the bench? Yes it will fall out. Or definitely in a state of unstable equilibrium!