PDA

View Full Version : Rider weight & custom frames

mccx
03-04-2014, 11:17 PM
I suspect I'm still in market for a new-to-me frame and I have a friend with a Waterford in my size that seems like it could be a good option. The issue is that despite our similar height & leg length he's about 160# and the bike was built to his weight - but I'm around 190# (+ some winter weight too I suppose).

Are there rules of thumb for how much 'building to the rider's weight' matters for customs that aren't for the original customer? Does it all depend on tubing (in this case OX Platinum)? Thanks again for any advice.

ultraman6970
03-05-2014, 12:06 AM
IMO depends a lot of the builder and the purposes of the bike.

Back in the day TT bikes were really weak even for light riders because they needed to stand basically 1 race a TT, and at the other side if we are talking about a custom rando bike built for a 150 pounds guy probably will stand a 250 pounds guy as well because the purpose of the frame is to be tough.

If you want to play safe I would ask to the builder, who knows what tubes put in there, you said OS ox platinum or something like that, maybe the guy is using thinner wall stays, who knows. Sure the bike will stand your weight the thing is that if specific tubes are thinner the bike might feel wobbly climbing for example.

Hard to know when you have custom stuff.

Duende
03-05-2014, 01:26 AM
Shouldn't matter really. Not for a Waterford at least from my experience. Their lightest tubing is the S3 True Temper. I weigh just as much as you and my S3 takes loads of abuse with no problems at all.

But then again I'm riding a 56cm. If your a lot taller and using a larger frameset, then I would be more concerned about the frameset, tubing, and the weight it was designed for.

My .02.

nublar
03-05-2014, 01:35 AM
Shouldn't matter unless it is a superlight frame using a special form of tubing.

Kirk Pacenti
03-05-2014, 05:42 AM
Most builders will consider your weight and use the tube diameters and wall thicknesses they deem appropriate. Bill Holland for instance designs the frame for rider weight +/- 20lbs.

Others use the same tube set irregardless or your weight. This isn't as bad as it may sound at first blush, in that smaller frames end up with shorter (lighter / less stiff) butts and bigger frames end up with longer (heavier / more stiff) butts.

Assuming also that they also know how to position those butts correctly (put material where its needed most) you will end up with a frame that meet your needs for a rider your size / weight. Positioned incorrectly, and the fame could end up being too stiff, or too flexible. Admitedly though, the difference between one and the other might too small for many people to notice.

Cheers,
KP