PDA

View Full Version : Rapha Pro team Bib sizing help

cento1
03-04-2014, 10:50 AM
hi gang,,really need your wildest and crazy suggestions per experience, assuming that no one here a rapha hater,,Im on the market for new Bibs and Ive been addicted to assos for a while so i wanna try different taste here,,Im 170cm(5'7) and 68kg(150lbs)..just for reference Im small on assos mille then medium on FI-13..just wondering if I need small or medium on rapha? rapha chart pointing me to medium since Im sz32...hoping to get some useful suggestion from riders actually worn it..thank you.

CNY rider
03-04-2014, 10:57 AM
hi gang,,really need your wildest and crazy suggestions per experience, assuming that no one here a rapha hater,,Im on the market for new Bibs and Ive been addicted to assos for a while so i wanna try different taste here,,Im 170cm(5'7) and 68kg(150lbs)..just for reference Im small on assos mille then medium on FI-13..just wondering if I need small or medium on rapha? rapha chart pointing me to medium since Im sz32...hoping to get some useful suggestion from riders actually worn it..thank you.

I'm a tiny bit smaller than you. 5 foot 6, weight about 150-155 during riding season.
I actually own both the small and the medium and I prefer the small.
I bought the medium first, soon figured out that these were the best bibs I had ever had, then tried the small for my next pair.
You will probably be fine in either size, depending on how you like your bibs to fit.

FlashUNC
03-04-2014, 10:59 AM
I'm much larger, 6'2, 190-200 depending on how much I can stay away from Five Guys.

I had an XL in the FI.13s and an XL in the Pro Team bibs. Both sizing charts for both companies ran true to their size specs for me. The Pro Teams are definitely a snug, compressive fit. I know some folks like that. It starts to annoy after more than a few hours on the bike for me.

cento1
03-04-2014, 11:30 AM
I'm a tiny bit smaller than you. 5 foot 6, weight about 150-155 during riding season.
I actually own both the small and the medium and I prefer the small.
I bought the medium first, soon figured out that these were the best bibs I had ever had, then tried the small for my next pair.
You will probably be fine in either size, depending on how you like your bibs to fit.

But hows the small in terms of comfort while on the bike assuming long rides? I heard that the pro team run tight and compressed..Thanks

cfox
03-04-2014, 11:51 AM
5'10, 145-150, mediums fit perfectly in pro team (I'm a small in their classic bib). The small pro team were either too tight around the leg or too short with the straps, I can't remember. I'd order both and send back the one that doesn't fit. They make this easy; they include a return label with your order.

CNY rider
03-04-2014, 12:13 PM
I should have read more carefully.
I wear the classic bibs not the pro teams.

cento1
03-04-2014, 12:30 PM
I should have read more carefully.
I wear the classic bibs not the pro teams.
:cool:

asteele2
03-04-2014, 12:40 PM
My experience differs from the medium suggestion above. I'm 5'9"/170lb and a medium in Capo (for the most part, medium across the board in Assos). My small Rapha lower-halves fit me better than the mediums I've worn. But their CS is great, so if you find yourself with the wrong pair it'll be an easy fix.

ARL002
03-04-2014, 12:42 PM
I'm slightly larger than you, 5'8" 155lbs, 31 waist. I first tried a medium Rapha pro bib and found it to be overly restrictive. Settled on a Medium Rapha classic bib (could potentially go Small).

I would say that you are definitely a medium on the pro bib, but depending on your body type, you may find it overly restrictive. You are likely more of a small on the classic bib that is looser fitting.

Rapha has a good return policy so I would say order them and test it out at home.

tiretrax
03-04-2014, 12:43 PM
My experience with pro team is that it's a size down from their normal size, but I'm at the other end of the size scale. I think they have free shipping on exchanges - if not, call the usa office and request it. However, it could probably go USPS for around $2.

nathanong87
03-04-2014, 02:48 PM

i personally would say that rapha pro bib is 'actual' size. whereas their classic stuff is like half size up.

im 5'7 and 140lbs, but during the offseason where i still wear the same* gear can be ~152lbs. I say go with small. Pro team bibs are some of my favorite bibs that I have. I also have the classics in small. There are plenty of other brands which are smaller such as champion system race cut and mt borah race cut. Both of those bibs listed are shorter and less 'elastic' than rapha pro team and classic.

cento1
03-05-2014, 10:14 PM
i personally would say that rapha pro bib is 'actual' size. whereas their classic stuff is like half size up.

im 5'7 and 140lbs, but during the offseason where i still wear the same* gear can be ~152lbs. I say go with small. Pro team bibs are some of my favorite bibs that I have. I also have the classics in small. There are plenty of other brands which are smaller such as champion system race cut and mt borah race cut. Both of those bibs listed are shorter and less 'elastic' than rapha pro team and classic.
so youre saying that youre small size on pro team as well? comfort wise hows is it during long rides ? so important for me to know,,since rapha wont accept returns for used items..

radsmd
03-05-2014, 10:19 PM
5'9", 160 lbs. Medium pro team bibs, but small classic bibs. I have a relatively long torso for my height (nicer way of saying short legs).

yummygooey
03-06-2014, 10:53 AM
5'8" @ 147lbs, i wear small pro team bibs. they're tight, but appropriately so.

cento1
03-06-2014, 03:31 PM
5'8" @ 147lbs, i wear small pro team bibs. they're tight, but appropriately so.

we're about the same body build but what is your waistline? hows the small assuming riding more than 50 miles?

FlemishCompact
03-06-2014, 03:42 PM
I wear a small in classic bibs and a medium in pro team bibs. I could probably fit into a small pro team bib but it would be too constricting at the quads

sw3759
03-06-2014, 05:11 PM
i'm 5'8" 148lb w/30in waist.i wear small in both pro and classic bibs.the pro bib is really compressive compared to the classic bib as others state.never tried the medium but like the length of the smalls so assumed the medium would be too long anyways.they were sold out mediums when i ordered my small pro bibs on sale.

cento1
03-08-2014, 06:28 PM
I wear a small in classic bibs and a medium in pro team bibs. I could probably fit into a small pro team bib but it would be too constricting at the quads
What is your body measurement,,height,weight and waistline..just for my basis

nathanong87
03-09-2014, 05:27 AM
so youre saying that youre small size on pro team as well? comfort wise hows is it during long rides ? so important for me to know,,since rapha wont accept returns for used items..

yes small in both.

comfort the rapha pro bibs are my favorite bibs that i own. Given the only other stuff i own is team 'cheaper' stuff. But i love them

the only difference your body can 'tell' is that once you put them on they are more compressive. Once your start riding your body does not care. I own kits that are in small and even tighter/shorter than rapha pro and again... your body doesn't care once you start.

cento1
03-09-2014, 10:27 AM
yes small in both.

comfort the rapha pro bibs are my favorite bibs that i own. Given the only other stuff i own is team 'cheaper' stuff. But i love them

the only difference your body can 'tell' is that once you put them on they are more compressive. Once your start riding your body does not care. I own kits that are in small and even tighter/shorter than rapha pro and again... your body doesn't care once you start.

what is your waistline?

nathanong87
03-09-2014, 01:44 PM
what is your waistline?

28" with 'big' thighs for my size. I range yearly from 140 to 152 lbs.

cento1
04-07-2014, 05:43 PM
Ok,,I end up getting the Pro team Bib in Small size,Ive been using it for a week now and it felt perfect..for the record or google search sake to help others having the same question in mind..heres my Body measurements.
height-5'7 inc
Weight-148 lbs
Waistline-31-32 inc.

Thanks gang for your inputs.:banana:

TunaAndBikes
01-26-2021, 11:08 AM
Anyone have feedback from the new collection?
I'm 6'00 with a 36" chest, 38.5" waist which puts me squarely at medium for waist size
Good deal coming up on a small though, and I fit small in most other sizes
Any feedback for Pro Team sizing?

jkbrwn
01-26-2021, 11:40 AM
I'm 6'00 with a 36" chest, 38.5" waist which puts me squarely at medium for waist size

I'd not get a small. PT fit has gotten much racier in the last few years IMO, to separate it from Brevet and Classic. The fabric, whilst obviously having stretch, is much more compressive than it was a few years ago as well. I'd stick to medium if your waist size dictates a medium on the fit chart. At 6" you'll also struggle with strap/leg length on a small (unless you like your bibs to end half way up your thigh).

charliedid
01-26-2021, 12:03 PM

38.5 a typo I assume?

Rapha will tell you to buy the same size generally in all shorts and that it's a matter of compression. I rode (still ride) classics for a while and then bought ultralight classic and pro team all in M and I think they are all the right size though reg. classics after a couple years lost a bit of elastic and I've often thought I could wear a S in them but not the others. I'm also a M in Giordana and Assos.

Buying too big for comfort is almost always a mistake with bibs not fitting well once on the bike. Pad in the wrong spot regardless of "comfort" is no good at all.

Such a PITA to buy this stuff....try and return if you can.

TunaAndBikes
01-26-2021, 12:22 PM
At 6" you'll also struggle with strap/leg length on a small (unless you like your bibs to end half way up your thigh).

I've had issues with shockingly short bibs bibs in the past, thanks for bringing me back to earth

38.5 a typo I assume?

It's not! All the way around is the measurement, I haven't eaten that much cake (yet).

Thanks for the feedback. Guess this deal will go to some other lucky skinny guy

charliedid
01-26-2021, 01:31 PM
I've had issues with shockingly short bibs bibs in the past, thanks for bringing me back to earth

It's not! All the way around is the measurement, I haven't eaten that much cake (yet).

Thanks for the feedback. Guess this deal will go to some other lucky skinny guy

Nah that's your hips not your waist. If your waist is 38.5" you need an XL

flying
01-26-2021, 02:09 PM
Such a PITA to buy this stuff....try and return if you can.

Actually not a PITA with Rapha that is one thing I will say about them ;)

They always include the free stick on return label
So...If in doubt just buy both sizes & return the one you don't want :)
(if buying from Rapha...now I have re-read & sounds like a private party purchase)

PS: to T&B 38.5" waist I would say no way on the small & as others
said at 6' height no way on the braces not being too short

charliedid
01-26-2021, 02:40 PM
Actually not a PITA with Rapha that is one thing I will say about them ;)

They always include the free stick on return label
So...If in doubt just buy both sizes & return the one you don't want :)
(if buying from Rapha...now I have re-read & sounds like a private party purchase)

PS: to T&B 38.5" waist I would say no way on the small & as others
said at 6' height no way on the braces not being too short

yeah I just sort of mean online clothing shopping in general but with cycling clothing it's always the game of second guess size even with the same company let alone trying to figure out what size you are from a company you never bought from.

I am a medium....just send me medium! :)

Xicaboy
01-26-2021, 04:01 PM
I have recent versions of the Pro Team, Lightweight, Classic and Core Winter Tights (thermal) bibs and the smalls fit best except for medium in the long thermal bibs. 5”10”, 160#, 32” waist, 31 inseam. Like the fit, pad and durability of them all.

cgolvin
01-26-2021, 04:30 PM
Can't help myself -- hilarious to find a resurrected 2014 post from @cento1 about Rapha bibs, considering that he's now an official Rapha Ride Leader and in all the times we've ridden together I can't recall him sporting a single non-Rapha piece of kit. I suspect that he has an entire separate closet just for his Rapha gear, Imelda Marcos style.

flying
01-26-2021, 04:49 PM
yeah I just sort of mean online clothing shopping in general but with cycling clothing it's always the game of second guess size even with the same company let alone trying to figure out what size you are from a company you never bought from.

I am a medium....just send me medium! :)

True ^^^ ;)

I hate I'm small in some (Endura,Santini) & medium in other brands (Castelli,Rapha)