PDA

View Full Version : Servicing Time ATAC MTB pedels: help required

The Spider
02-03-2006, 04:38 AM
O.K, something went wrong on the commute into work today and now the right side of the right pedal feels disconnected. I need to get in there and have a look.

ATAC (not ATAC XS) has 2 ports on the outside of the pedal....how do I get into that part, and how does the axle seperate from the body?

Thanks for any assistance.

Went to various Time sites....'coming soon'....yeah, not bloody soon enough!

bshell
02-03-2006, 09:59 AM
I had some Titan ATACs in the past. If I recall correctly you need to remove the pedal from the crank and then use a little pin-spanner(?) tool to remove the smooth metal cover thingy that you can't put a wrench on (it has 2 small holes instead). You could get away with some channel-lock pliers or something similar wrapped with duct tape so as not to mar the finish.

You should be able to seperate the spindle from the body now. My memory really does not serve me right now but I think those 2 holes on the outside should be left alone. I think those contain 2 additional rods/spindles that the spring/cleat retainer peices pivot around.

I hope this helps a bit. Like I said, it has been a long time so if it doesn't look like what I have described you should probably ingnore me.

Good luck.

The Spider
02-03-2006, 11:07 AM
Thank you Bshell!

removed pedal with 6mm and then used c-clip plies to remove the cover (my pin spanner has only ever been used for XTR crank covers and Mavic Ksyrium adjustments - pins are too big)...

wow...what a simple design, no wonder the grease is uncontaminated despite the pedal being 4 years old, the oldboard bearing appears to be pressed in though...so I cannot see what is causing the play...

thank you so much. brillant stuff

bshell
02-03-2006, 12:14 PM
You're welcome, Spider. I'm really glad I could be of help. Just got me thinking about how incredible this web is. A guy avoiding work in California can help someone in another hemisphere take apart a pedal when there is no exploded view/service instructions at the manufacturer's site. Those were good pedals, I hope you can sort 'em out. Happy riding.