PDA

View Full Version : OT: beer suggestions for Montana

moose8
03-04-2014, 09:47 AM
So I'm going to montana tomorrow for my bachelor party which will fortunately not consist of debauchery (I'm too old for that now I think) but will consist primarily of skiing and drinking beer. Does anyone have any suggestions on beers to try or seek out? We will be at Big Sky the entire time, though my friend lives in Helena and has offered to do grocery shopping before we get there but he's more of a hard liquor guy than beer drinker so I'm hoping to point him in the right direction. Any suggestions for bars in Big Sky we should check out are welcome too.

I figured there was enough overlap between bikes and beer to post this. If not feel free to delete.

Birddog
03-04-2014, 11:01 AM
Whatever local/ regional beer is on tap. Keep an eye on the bartender when he/she pulls the tap. In my experience, all too many don't know how to pull a beer with a proper head. This occurs most often when they pull a porter or stout.

sc53
03-04-2014, 11:49 AM
Given your forum handle, make sure you try local brew called "Moose Drool."
I had that at a local place in Big Sky, pretty tasty.

Jeff N.
03-04-2014, 11:54 AM
I think there's another beer called, "Trout Slayer". Jeff N.

bironi
03-04-2014, 12:08 PM
Might do some research here.

http://visitmt.com/experiences/food_and_beverage/breweries/

kurto
03-04-2014, 12:14 PM
Go to Lone Peak Brewery (www.lonepeakbrewery.com). It's the best place to get beers in town. Steve and Vicky are great people, and the beer is top-notch. It's a fantastic little brewpub, all beers brewed on-site and nice food too. It's easy to get to - downtown Big Sky, by the post office.

moose8
03-04-2014, 12:25 PM
Good suggestions all - moose drool, trout slayer and lone peak are all going on the list.

vav
03-04-2014, 12:47 PM
Beer for Montana? He don't need no stinkin' beer :p

http://okc.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/tony-montana-11.jpg

David Kirk
03-04-2014, 12:52 PM
You're going to have a great time at Big Sky - some serious terrain and variety there. If you can't find a part of the hill you love it's not the hill's fault :)

I'd ask the tarbender what they have local on tap. Lots to choose from.

Are you staying in Big Sky or Bozeman?

dave

Karin Kirk
03-04-2014, 01:03 PM
The other day at Bridger I tried the Ullrfest Lager by Red Lodge Ales. Dark, smooth and really yummy. I'm not into the hoppy stuff and this one was perfect in that regard.

But, heck with the beer, have a great time with the skiing! We have a great snowpack right now. Make sure you get up the tram if the weather permits.

Germany_chris
03-04-2014, 02:14 PM
I agree I used to love hoppy beer then I moved here and that taste went away. The Bavarians are just good a beer, the Schawbs however brew swill.

JAGI410
03-04-2014, 02:22 PM
Montana has amazing beer. Drink local wherever you go and you won't be let down.

moose8
03-04-2014, 03:43 PM
You're going to have a great time at Big Sky - some serious terrain and variety there. If you can't find a part of the hill you love it's not the hill's fault :)

I'd ask the tarbender what they have local on tap. Lots to choose from.

Are you staying in Big Sky or Bozeman?

dave

We're going to be at big sky a short shuttle ride away from the mountain. It looks like a huge mountain so I'm getting pretty excited. Because we are all bad at planning we actually got a pretty good deal for tickets and lodging right by the mountain just last week. It ended up being way cheaper than Colorado would have been for something similar.

moose8
03-04-2014, 03:46 PM
But, heck with the beer, have a great time with the skiing! We have a great snowpack right now. Make sure you get up the tram if the weather permits.

The tram really excites me - I've skied all over and get giddy with stuff that scares me and it looks like there's plenty of stuff there that my own sense of self-preservation will keep me from trying. But I like looking at it and imagining just maybe I could.

sc53
03-04-2014, 04:00 PM
Make sure you stop by the Bugaboo Café a few times too--right on the highway at the entrance to Big Sky, breakfast and lunch are great. Haven't ever had dinner there. They serve the local brews.

David Kirk
03-04-2014, 04:41 PM
The tram really excites me - I've skied all over and get giddy with stuff that scares me and it looks like there's plenty of stuff there that my own sense of self-preservation will keep me from trying. But I like looking at it and imagining just maybe I could.

Even if you don't feel up to skiing the tram you should take a ride up just for the view. The summit is over 11,100' and the views are spectacular and to die for. Big Sky is fine with your riding up and then riding back down if you just want to see it all.

There is a HUGE variety of terrain at Big Sky - great groomers, scary steep chutes and tech stuff, massive open bowls....everything. You won't be disappointed.

have fun!

dave

Karin Kirk
03-04-2014, 07:47 PM
Yeah, what he said. Take the tram for the view only, it can be ridden as a round trip. Leave your skis at the bottom so you don't get tempted to give it a whirl spontaneously. If you do want to ski it but are in doubt, go with an instructor. They will not only show you the sensible routes down, but they'll also (hopefully) help you focus on the essential moves for managing the steeps.

The Challenger lift is another place to scare yourself. When you get off the lift you'll be thinking "!!!" Getting started is definitely the hardest part up there. I've seen people fall over while standing still due to insane vertigo on the initial traverse. If the sun is out, no problem (except for the usual rocks and steeps).

Have fun! :)

noonan1970
03-04-2014, 08:04 PM
is out of Helena and has one of my favorite Beers.

Blackfoot IPA So tasty! Hopefully they have that on tap. Also The OPA (Organic Pale Ale) is good.

Have fun!

tim

12snap
03-05-2014, 10:30 AM

If you've skied all over then you are probably a pretty good skier. Yes, there are runs off the tram that can be scary. But there are also plenty of runs down the back side of it that will be no problem for you.

I was just at Big Sky a couple weeks ago with some friends. We didn't find much nightlife there. There was a band at a bar called the Broken Spoke in the Town Center that some locals recommended to us. They were pretty good but the crowd was thin. Whiskey Jack's at the base of the mountain usually has bands on the weekends, too. I think we should have tried there instead.

I second the recommendation for the Bugaboo Cafe. Awesome food and a lot of it, too! The breakfast I had would almost be too much before going skiing.

grateful
03-05-2014, 04:24 PM
Montana has amazing beer. Drink local wherever you go and you won't be let down.

The locals drink PBR (I was a local, I know).

jds108
03-05-2014, 04:57 PM
If you've skied all over then you are probably a pretty good skier. Yes, there are runs off the tram that can be scary. But there are also plenty of runs down the back side of it that will be no problem for you.

I was just at Big Sky a couple weeks ago with some friends. We didn't find much nightlife there. There was a band at a bar called the Broken Spoke in the Town Center that some locals recommended to us. They were pretty good but the crowd was thin. Whiskey Jack's at the base of the mountain usually has bands on the weekends, too. I think we should have tried there instead.

I second the recommendation for the Bugaboo Cafe. Awesome food and a lot of it, too! The breakfast I had would almost be too much before going skiing.

Big Sky is famous/infamous for its lack of nightlife, at least it was 10 and 20 years ago. But Bozeman has a nice little downtown with some bars/pubs to choose from.

If you need to see the entertaining side of what's happening in Bozeman, just check out this link: http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/police_reports/

There's always a little humor within...

On a serious note, do not drive from the resort to town or vice versa if you're not 100%. Lots of accidents happen along that stretch of highway.

moose8
03-05-2014, 06:54 PM
Stuck in Minneapolis so far with delays, but will follow all the suggestions for Montana. I have been disappointed to learn beers of middling quality are approximately $10 a beer in Minneapolis so I'm hoping things get more reasonable in Montana. Regardless, there will be plenty of skiing tomorrow.

moose8
03-11-2014, 10:20 AM
Just thought I'd add that Montana was awesome and anyone thinking of visiting should go. We skied a ton and went to bed really early, so the lack of nightlife was not a negative, especially since it corresponded with a lack of people on the slopes at big sky. I've already got preliminary plans to go back to do some trout fishing with my friend who lives in Helena.

merlinmurph
03-11-2014, 11:21 AM
We skied a ton and went to bed really early, so the lack of nightlife was not a negative,

That's my kind of ski trip.

On one trip to Whistler years ago where it just kept snowing, we had to force ourselves to stay up until some reasonable bedtime, like at least after 8:00. :)

Glad you had a great trip. After my trip to Big Sky a few years ago, I had the same impression as you. My wife and I did a Yellowstone/Grand Teton trip the next summer.