PDA

View Full Version : Enve3.4 or Zipp FC303

dpk501
03-03-2014, 09:15 PM
Has anyone tried both of these wheel sets? If so what are your leanings?

Thanks

cfox
03-04-2014, 04:26 AM
3.4 are terrific wheels; light stiff, the whole deal. I haven't ridden Firecrests, but I've never been tempted. Friends have had lots of issues with creaky, loose rear hubs and brake rub.

uber
03-04-2014, 04:51 AM
Enve. Better warranty.

rnhood
03-04-2014, 05:06 AM
I've ridden the Zipps and they were very nice. Braking was excellent. After seeing them on the cobblestones, I think they are suitably tough. Enve's are suppose to be pretty good too but I would probably go with the Zipps. Just personal preference.

kramnnim
03-04-2014, 06:05 AM
Can you pick your hubs with the Zipps?

Edit: I guess so, but maybe they aren't as common. Zipp hubs appear to get some hate...

cfox
03-04-2014, 06:16 AM
Can you pick your hubs with the Zipps?

Edit: I guess so, but maybe they aren't as common. Zipp hubs appear to get some hate...

wheelbuilder dot com gets zipp rims for customs builds, so yes, at least with them. I'm not sure about other wheelbuilders. As noted above, Enve has a great warranty and lifetime crash replacement (50% off to replace a rim damaged rim outside of normal warranty coverage). Braking is excellent on the Smart rims, but it is supposed to be very good on the zipps as well.

oldpotatoe
03-04-2014, 06:31 AM
wheelbuilder dot com gets zipp rims for customs builds, so yes, at least with them. I'm not sure about other wheelbuilders. As noted above, Enve has a great warranty and lifetime crash replacement (50% off to replace a rim damaged rim outside of normal warranty coverage). Braking is excellent on the Smart rims, but it is supposed to be very good on the zipps as well.

Yes, it's possible to get Zipp as rims as it's possible to get Enve as just rims but I'd say Enve with a DT hub...rather than a Zipp wheel..far better hubset.

zachateseveryth
03-04-2014, 09:26 AM
I don't know if they've changed it or not, but Zipp used to love to build rear wheels with radial lacing. I've also heard bad things about their free-hubs.

gavingould
03-04-2014, 09:40 AM
i rode a set of 303 Firecrests for two years of cyclocross racing with no issues whatsoever. The bearing preload adjustment is a bit finicky, that's all i could grumble about.
never touched 'em with a spoke wrench - and i should note, this is with very hard riding. 225lb rider bunnyhopping logs, riding a lap on a flat rear tubular, etc.
no flex or rubbing on pads, freehub seemed fine to me.

i haven't ridden any of the Enve stuff yet - hoping to at least ride a loaner set soon as i'll be doing new wheels on an incoming custom.

norcalbiker
03-04-2014, 09:55 AM
I've used them both brands.
Enve has better warranty, customer service and hubs.
Zipp Looks better.

I now use Reynolds Forty Six. No better or worse than the two brands above.

I am going back to Aluminum wheels like Campagnolo Shamal.

kgreene10
03-04-2014, 10:40 AM
Tubular or clincher? There's a big difference in ride quality across brands in clincher. Tubies felt similar but the Zipp clincher gave a more chattery ride and the rear wheel is noticeably less responsive under hard accelerations. This was the 2013 version. For 2014, Zipp beefed up the flanges and went to a virtual 3x lacing to address the issue. I'm not sure what the results are. So, if clincher, Enve. If tubular, I would still go Enve if price were no object.