PDA

View Full Version : Frame damage in shipping - suggestions?

mccx
03-03-2014, 04:17 PM
I just picked up a frame from the post office that I bought on eBay and there was some damage to the seat lug during shipping. I've attached two pics below.

I wanted to ask the forum for suggestions about what I should do about the damage. I've already messaged the seller and he's assured me we can work something out, and I always have eBay/Paypal protection to fall back on, but my question is really - what would you do in my situation? anything I need to be thinking about?

Thanks for any advice & suggestions.

donevwil
03-03-2014, 04:32 PM
My guess is that the PO did a poor packing job. One has to take into consideration some shipping abuse and pack accordingly. Did the box look as though it had been aggressively handled with dents and holes in other locations ? If it was not insured (I always insure frames/wheels) you're pretty much SOL with USPS, FedEx or UPS.

If it's not a super-awesome, hi $$ frame a simple straighten and touch-up will be hard to notice from more than 2 feet away. You could probably do it yourself if you are mechanically inclined, but I'd find a local framebuilder and bill the seller.

oliver1850
03-03-2014, 04:40 PM
These are usually tough to handle. I think sellers should cough up the cost of professional repair, but I've never had one do that. What they usually do is offer to take it back, which lets them off the hook for any repairs as far as ebay is concerned. I've probably had a dozen frames that arrived damaged, but not badly enough to risk further problems shipping it back. I've just accepted it as part of the ebay experience, but it makes me angry every time. It even happens when I give sellers detailed instructions on how to pack a bike.

If you can get something out of the seller, you're doing well. If you can get him to pay for professional repair, even better. I think you should be able to work that point back into shape and touch it up. If you can ID the color that will be a big help. Good luck.

christian
03-03-2014, 04:42 PM
That is just ····ty packing. Stick a tiny stub of 27.2 material in there and that never happens. Rivendell always ship with a stepped ring of 27.2 aluminum - real classy. My wife's Vanilla had the exact damage when it arrived, I recall.

Oh yeah, send it back.

rnhood
03-03-2014, 04:45 PM
The seller has to file a claim for shipping damage. I recommend sending it back. You did not get the advertised bike you purchased. If you have to eat the shipping cost don't worry about it. Just send it back and get your money back.

Peter P.
03-03-2014, 04:48 PM
How badly do you want the frame and how particular are you about the finish?

If it's a used frame with other scratches and paint chips from use, then ask the seller for say, a $25 rebate or the option of accepting the frame back for a refund.

If the frame is new then, I guess the damage is a little bit more disappointing and you'll have to consider the same options.

I think that damage is readily repairable, even buy a home mechanic. Since it's steel, you could bend it back. I'd start with the shaft of a slender screwdriver through the curl and pulling up or tapping with a hammer.

The other option is to merely file away the point and either round it over or make a new, shorter point. Then touch up with model paint.

oldpotatoe
03-03-2014, 04:48 PM
I just picked up a frame from the post office that I bought on eBay and there was some damage to the seat lug during shipping. I've attached two pics below.

I wanted to ask the forum for suggestions about what I should do about the damage. I've already messaged the seller and he's assured me we can work something out, and I always have eBay/Paypal protection to fall back on, but my question is really - what would you do in my situation? anything I need to be thinking about?

Thanks for any advice & suggestions.

Yowser, seen that more than once. No 'plug' or old seat post remnant, something in the seat tube to protect that 'point'. 'May' be able to be massaged straight, respray but it's an issue with who packed it, plug to protect top of seat tube.

sitzmark
03-03-2014, 04:52 PM
Depends on who did the packing and what the shipping terms were. Insurance purchased/included?

If the shipment was insured - fully or for any amount - the first thing to do is file a carrier (shipper) damage report. You need pictures of the packaging as received to document your claim. Better still are pictures of the damage while still in the packaging before removal (if you have them). Many sellers of more expensive items require shipping insurance as part of the terms. In this case, the seller and shipping company are on the hook. The shipper will question if the item was packaged properly for shipping. If not they will not cover the claim and the responsibility falls to the seller.

If the shipment was not insured, then the issue is between you and the seller. If the seller paid the shipping (i.e. free shipping) then traditionally they are responsible for damage. If you paid for shipping independent of the item and did not specify that you wanted insurance, then technically you bear the responsibility unless the seller's packaging was grossly inadequate.**

All of these avenues take time for claims processing. If the seller is willing to assume the responsibility and make a quick settlement, then you may want to take it if it is reasonable to the cost of repair. eBay/Paypal will investigate and follow a similar path to the above - was the item packaged reasonably for shipment and what were the stated terms of shipping in the listing.

Looks like you have some paint issues in addition to metal work. Are you willing to live with touch up? If not, high quality paint work can be expensive. Figure that into any reimbursements being offered. At the end of the day, what is the value of the product (as received) to you? Is this a must have item and still a good deal even if you have to suck up some cost in the transaction? If not and you have other options for same or identical product, fight to recoup all of your investment and return it to the seller - especially if his/her packaging was irresponsible.

** if you specifically opted out of shipping insurance to save money and it was packaged reasonably, fix it and enjoy the frame.

bobswire
03-03-2014, 04:57 PM
That happened to me once too but it was an older frame with some paint chips already so straightened it out then touched it up with paint. Your looks more hand cut and should have someone with experience straighten and paint unless you are an efficient DIY guy. Is there a frame builder near you? Straight forward job so I think it would be a fair estimate. If it was mine I'd so it myself since I'm hands on.

mccx
03-03-2014, 05:07 PM
Thanks for the comments so far - keep them coming!

I'm pretty sure with eBay/Paypal that items have to arrive as described and proper packing & insurance is entirely the seller's responsibility. I'd rather not go down the claims process unless I need to though.

In terms of a professional repair - is it a pretty straightforward job? I know can get a local place (frame builder/fixer/shop) to do it (if the seller wants to pay for it) but am reluctant to bother if it's going to be a permanent weak spot or defect.

wildboar
03-03-2014, 05:25 PM
Had this happen to a tommasini I bought new. Think I had it straightened locally and got to riding it. Kept that one for about 14 years. I forgot all about it until just now.

Jeff N.
03-03-2014, 05:29 PM
Personally, if that is the only damage done, I'd try to straighten it out and touch it up. The long, endless hassle of making a claim is stuff I try to avoid at nearly any cost. But that's just me...can't stand the aggravation. Jeff N.

ultraman6970
03-03-2014, 05:37 PM
Honestly? I would just work this out, the fix for that is pretty much straight forward too, worse case scenario just cut the bend part and file a smaller tip that probably wont be even noticeable.

biker72
03-03-2014, 06:10 PM
I can see the insurance people denying any claim because of poor packaging.

Look the frame over very closely for any more damage.
If you find anything else, send it back. If not, what you've shown is fairly easily fixed.

kramnnim
03-03-2014, 07:55 PM
Ugh...and it looks like a nice frame. :(

A friend of mine had the same damage happen to his Paramount, UPS said improper packing. He sent it to Waterford, who charged him $200. (plus shipping both ways)

zmudshark
03-03-2014, 07:59 PM
You will never get a dime from the USPS. Poor packing. Inexcusable packing, actually. A Champagne cork would have save it, or any padding.

Depends on how badly you want the frame. I'd just send it back for a refund. That would bug me.

mccx
03-03-2014, 08:54 PM
Ugh...and it looks like a nice frame. :(

It's a MAP Randonneur Project. Nicer than I could afford if it was new.

Depends on how badly you want the frame. I'd just send it back for a refund. That would bug me.

That's what's I'm struggling to figure out. Plenty of thoughts in my head going either way. To his credit the seller has been great so far. I'm going to check out some local quotes for getting it fixed and we'll discuss & decide from there.

pbarry
03-03-2014, 09:10 PM
You got a nice deal on it. :) That fix is not a big thing. The paint match will be the hardest part. Repair and enjoy.

4Rings6Stars
03-03-2014, 09:22 PM
You got a nice deal on it. :) That fix is not a big thing. The paint match will be the hardest part. Repair and enjoy.

...but certainly not before getting serious compensation from the seller.

Good deal or not, does not change the fact that it has been damaged and is not in the same condition is was when you purchased it. I would get a few quotes for a pro repair, then negotiate with the seller.

He might come back and just issue a full refund for a return instead of dishing out the $$ for a repair.

pbarry
03-03-2014, 09:38 PM
Agreed. :beer:

eddief
03-03-2014, 10:07 PM
Those first Kogswells with Pacenti lugs had one helluva point at the top front of the seat lug. Mine was not that bad, but as I recall, I wedged a seat post in at angle and was able to straighten out the bent back lug point.

Much later in the life of that frame I had it retro fitted with couplers by Steve Rex. When he did the retro I had him file down the point to something less dramatic and less prone to being bent by me in future packing into the S&S case. The frame got repowdered so there were no ill effects from any of these steps. With my current coupled bike, I always stick a big cork in in place of the post when I put it in the case.

Granted, your frame looks more artisan than my Kog, so can understand your concern for keeping the aesthetics intact.

Good luck with your project.

ultraman6970
03-03-2014, 10:37 PM
You can get that thing back using a piece of wood. That tip is so sharp that you can impale a piece of wood in there and pull it back up little by little.

When you get it almost in position put the ugliest seatpost you have moving around in the bike for the final touches because the seatpost will get kind'a scratched. To retouch the paint just go to the closest hobby shop and try to find the closest match or straight paint that tip in another color like red, people will think was done in red at purpose.