PDA

View Full Version : Chorus ERGO Shifter Help

aminadab
02-02-2006, 10:48 PM
Friends,
So I'm disassembling my bike and I've gotten to my 2004 Chorus Shifters. I've gotten all cables out except for one brake cable. The round metal end piece that came out easily on the other shifter is stuck into the metal piece under the hood. I tried to encourage it a bit with a flathead screwdriver, but alas, nothing. It actually seems like it's permanently fixed to the lever, but this doesn't make sense to me. I guess after two years of use, the cable's end piece had formed and melded with the shifter. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Argos
02-02-2006, 11:10 PM
1) I'd try holding the lever closed (not the "braking" position) like this:
http://www.parker-international.co.uk/ProductImages/Campag_Xenon_04_9_Ergo_lever.jpg
And from the back, grab the cable about 1 cm from the body with a pliers and try to push it loose.

2)Now squeeze the brake all the way, so that part is as exposed as possible and hit JUST THAT SPOT with a little WD-40 and wait. You can also put JUST A LITTLE on the cable rom the backside (hehe) and let it crawl down in there.
Let sit and then try again.

3) I would again grab the cable about 1cm from back of lever body and rotate it to create a sheering effect.

4) Throw it against the wall and go to an online forum and ask help.... :rolleyes:

For what it is worth, my friends dad has a machine shop and is a pilot. He gave me a can of stuff he uses called "Aero-Kroil". It makes WD-40 look stupid. You HAVE to have ventilaton though, because it's like huffing pure Evil. Anyways, if you ever see this stuff on a shelf, I highly recomend it. It's stupid fierce.

Loosens Frozen Metal Parts!
An industry proven penetrating oil that has no equal. Kroil Quickly loosens rusted nuts and bolts - frees frozen shafts, pulleys, etc. Kroil by Kano laboratory penetrates to 1 millionth inch spaces. Dissolves rust, lubricates, cleans and prevents rust, great as a gun bore cleaner, it displaces moisture. Kroil the oil that creeps.New King size 13 oz. aerosol.
This is the best penetrating oil around, ask any Farmer or Mechanic. Best of all Kroil is approved for use in nuclear plants.

http://coolcatcorp.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/Kroil.jpg

aminadab
02-03-2006, 01:44 AM
Got it! Thanks very kindly.

Kane
02-03-2006, 02:55 AM
My 1999 record shifter was on its third cable or so and I decided to replace the cable due to a frayed end at the derailleur. My best guess is that the shop that changed the cable used a non-campy cable with a generic lead cap on its end. (correct me on the nature of the metal used to form these caps.
-I ended up taking several steps after failing to push out from the cable end using the wire as leverage.
1. Squeeze the lever with the cable disconnected from the brake. I fished the cable out from the back side of the brake lever throught the opening.
2. I clipped the wire as short as I could get it.
3. I pushed the lead cap out from the distal side of the brake lever using a straight piece of coat hanger. (I tried to drill it out, but the titanium drill bit would not bite into the lead plug.

Good Luck,

Kane

Too Tall
02-03-2006, 07:30 AM
Squirt ammonia into the receiver and let it soak a few days...go back and reapply a few times. Don't distort the cap it will become lodged HARD and you'll be forced to drill it out...if you have to drill it use a squared off bit so you don't drill out the bottom of the reciever...use a tap handle to hold the drill...you may be able to do this by hand.