PDA

View Full Version : Need help/Exp choosing pedal for wife.

Shortsocks
03-03-2014, 11:20 AM
Hi gals/guys.

I need some of your experience choosing a pedal for the Mrs. I originally gave her a pair of Look Keo and she hates them. She always complains about not being able to clip in because it's one sided. So...when she gets tired it become even more difficult for her.

The thing is we bought a really nice pair of Blue Sidi's and she refuses to get another pair because she loves them.

So I was thinking about the Speedplays because they are double sided. She's not an advanced rider by any means but she wants double sided. Don't want to spend a lot because I already dropped cash on the Looks...

Suggestions? What do your significant others wear?

Tony
03-03-2014, 11:25 AM
Speedplays are a good choice. My wife, daughter and I use speedplays, like them a lot!

oldpotatoe
03-03-2014, 11:26 AM
Hi gals/guys.

I need some of your experience choosing a pedal for the Mrs. I originally gave her a pair of Look Keo and she hates them. She always complains about not being able to clip in because it's one sided. So...when she gets tired it become even more difficult for her.

The thing is we bought a really nice pair of Blue Sidi's and she refuses to get another pair because she loves them.

So I was thinking about the Speedplays because they are double sided. She's not an advanced rider by any means but she wants double sided. Don't want to spend a lot because I already dropped cash on the Looks...

Suggestions? What do your significant others wear?

Light action Speedplay...

Gummee
03-03-2014, 11:27 AM
Speedplay or get some SPDs and a pontoon adaptor for road shoes.

http://www.evanscycles.com/product_image/image/745/fa3/08f/58977/product_page/shimano-spd-cleat-stabilising-adapter.jpg

Assuming that the shoes have the SPD mounting points already. If not, then you'll have to find another option

NM

ptourkin
03-03-2014, 11:30 AM
The Speedplay suggestions are probably best.
One small point I've noticed is that the new 9000 Shimanos seem to "tip" more easily than past versions. They seem to be engagement side up more readily than before. Maybe just me.

c-record
03-03-2014, 11:31 AM
I'd third what others have said on Speedplay. Hope something works well for her.

CNY rider
03-03-2014, 11:32 AM
I like Crank Bros Candy on my commuters because they are 2 sided and very simple to enter/exit.
I have seen reports of reliability issues but have had no problems with multiple sets of my own.

Kirk Pacenti
03-03-2014, 11:50 AM
My bride uses Time ATAC mtb pedals. She's been very happy with them for road use.

Cheers,
KP

EricEstlund
03-03-2014, 12:09 PM
My wife has a mix of double sided pedals and Keo's on different bikes. Every rider is different, but I know plenty of new clipless riders that found road pedals "easier" because of the larger engagement target.

It's ok to suggest practice. Double sided pedals (on their own) don't clear up all the cleat/ pedal positioning issues for new users. Every system takes a little practice to get the muscle memory down, regardless of how easy the springs or engagement of the mechanical connection.

Another "easy" one are the basic "four sided" eggbeater. Not only do they work with toe/ heel engagement, but you can press straight down or get them to engage heel/ toe.

jtakeda
03-03-2014, 12:10 PM
I'd second time atac. But since you're lookin for road speedplay.

batman1425
03-03-2014, 12:11 PM
Another vote for Speedplays. Got my wife the light actions for her first clip in set and she likes them a lot.

kramnnim
03-03-2014, 12:15 PM
There's the Kickstarter ones that were posted about yesterday...lol.

But yeah, Speedplay. Though they aren't cheap and the company has annoying business practices...

thirdgenbird
03-03-2014, 12:19 PM
Funny, I switched my wife frm spd to look keos and she instantly got better at clipping in and out. She is a pretty casual rider but found it easier to actually get into the pedal with the look cleats vs SPD. The look pedals also gave her the audible click to let her know she is in. Spd with low tension is harder to tell.

Anyway, knowing that, I would also say speedplay.

torelli
03-03-2014, 02:46 PM
I would suggest give the Time iClic a try. Like the Look's they will take a little while to get used to but by far the easiest and lightest to get into. Cleats are nice too, they have rubber pads making walking around in them easy.

1happygirl
03-03-2014, 02:58 PM
So sorry SS wife didn't like your Looks you got her.
Since I haven't been able to solve my own issues on pedals I feel unqualified to give advice but that never stopped a (WOman) so...
Stationary trainer practice and strengthening?
Are her knees/joints happy? If yes, I would be reluctant to change as those are expensive pedals and knees too
Good luck
I used to spd b4 electricity and my knees weren't happy fwiw ( my only fit where HE said candies orally and clip on no no for HG )
Oh and yeah, one thing that's not ideal that I'm trying is going out to remote areas to practice getting back in clipless without having to start stop and unclip frequently

RedRider
03-03-2014, 03:04 PM
Light action Speedplay... nothing wrong with most of the other suggestions but these meet all her needs.

Shortsocks
03-03-2014, 03:30 PM
Cool. Thanks guys and gal.
Think I'm going to start shopping for a decent preowned pair of Speedplays.
That seems to be the general consensus. Appreciate all the feedback!

Now to wait and see if anyone posts a pair on classifieds. :eek:

pdmtong
03-03-2014, 03:37 PM
My bride uses Time ATAC mtb pedals. She's been very happy with them for road use.

Cheers,
KP

I'd second time atac. But since you're lookin for road speedplay.

Although I love my time atac for dirt, they require more rotation angle and a more deliberate action to release. a wimpy half-hearted slightly angled movement wont release the cleat, and boom down she goes. she has to be mentally engaged for that pedal to work.

road pedals on the other hand will come out easier...with less effort...so if you really want two sided, speedplay.

if the issue is engagement, then I would simply be more patient and ask her to practice. Perhaps ride alongside her or behind her when starting after a stop so she isnt immediately dropped while fiddling trying to clip in.

the walkability of the SPD_SL pedal trumps all others...sell the Keos and replace with a nice set of 105 and go from there.

ptourkin
03-03-2014, 04:09 PM
Make sure to pick up a set of these: http://www.keeponkovers.com/Product.html

cash05458
03-03-2014, 04:18 PM
great wife being difficult when she doesn't have to be thread...I am sure lots can relate...good to be single!

bikinchris
03-03-2014, 04:22 PM
My wife hated SPD's She not only had a hard time getting in, she had a hard time clipping out, which was dangerous. Even on the lowest setting it took too much effort and too much angle.
She loves her Frog pedals.

malcolm
03-03-2014, 04:23 PM
Light action Speedplay...

after using several different systems these are the ones that she loves.
The spud knows.

firerescuefin
03-03-2014, 08:32 PM
Ali…can't go wrong with the light action speedplay or the Crank Bros Candy (both have received numerous votes on this thread). My wife has the light actions, but I know a few women that are fond of the more substantial platform of the Candys. Both are extremely intuitive/easy to get in…and as/if not more important to get out of.

Shortsocks
03-03-2014, 08:52 PM
Ali…can't go wrong with the light action speedplay or the Crank Bros Candy (both have received numerous votes on this thread). My wife has the light actions, but I know a few women that are fond of the more substantial platform of the Candys. Both are extremely intuitive/easy to get in…and as/if not more important to get out of.

Thanks Jeff. The wife wants to ride the lake when I'm not with her but she hates those looks. So you're wife likes them? How long did it take for her to get used to them?

firerescuefin
03-04-2014, 04:34 AM
Thanks Jeff. The wife wants to ride the lake when I'm not with her but she hates those looks. So you're wife likes them? How long did it take for her to get used to them?

Immediately was able to get in/out…second nature after just a few rides.

ultraman6970
03-04-2014, 07:39 AM
Wonder what would bring if the thread was called... "Need help/Exp choosing pedal for Ex-wife".

downtube
03-04-2014, 07:52 AM
My wife uses speed play light action pedals. She is always commenting on how easy they are to use. Also the cleats seem to last forever. I just clean them once in a while and add a drop of oil. She rides about 4000 miles a year.

Ti Designs
03-04-2014, 08:18 AM
Wonder what would bring if the thread was called... "Need help/Exp choosing pedal for Ex-wife".

My Ex-wife uses SpeedPlay light action, but I kept the house.

Fixed
03-04-2014, 09:01 AM
http://www.woodrage.com
Cheers

rugbysecondrow
03-04-2014, 09:09 AM

My wife likes the Crank Brothers.

Cheers,

Paul

josephr
03-04-2014, 09:16 AM
my wife was scared to try clip-in pedals for the longest time...I went with Speedplays and now she's a believer. Also helps that can get the Speedplays in pink!
Joe

Shortsocks
03-14-2014, 05:12 PM
Thanks for ALL THE HELP and suggestions!
Installing them now. Hope she likes them.
I hope she likes them. These speedplay light actions weren't cheap. :eek:
http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j323/prelude97si/44673D0D-901F-4EB8-8011-285FE7610512.jpg (http://s1080.photobucket.com/user/prelude97si/media/44673D0D-901F-4EB8-8011-285FE7610512.jpg.html)

Tandem Rider
03-15-2014, 05:35 PM
Good choice, Mrs TR has about 5 or 6 pairs scattered on various bikes. I'm not man enough to suggest something else.

Use the recommended lube on the cleats and all will be well.