PDA

View Full Version : MXLeader EPS upgrade

oldpotatoe
03-02-2014, 08:00 AM
Started yesterday..all wired and 'IT WORKS'..I think this is the photobucket link

http://s148.photobucket.com/user/chisholm2744/library/?sort=3&page=1

Gonna put crank in and glue rear tire tonight.

If this isn't the library of photos, somebody help me find them.

gone
03-02-2014, 08:30 AM
You're a braver man than I drilling holes in those tubes!

witcombusa
03-02-2014, 08:37 AM
sacrilege :eek:

cmg
03-02-2014, 08:44 AM
this is going to be an interesting build. guts !

Climb01742
03-02-2014, 08:45 AM
Better use of retirement than golf!;)

Roger M
03-02-2014, 08:48 AM
Pretty neat. What are goin to cap the shifter bosses with?

Have fun with it.

oldpotatoe
03-02-2014, 08:50 AM
Pretty neat. What are goin to cap the shifter bosses with?

Have fun with it.

Just cable stops used with ERGO, w/o the barrel adjusters.

I have a second MXLeader plus when punching/ drilling downtube, some rust, fun experiment

bobswire
03-02-2014, 08:53 AM
Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Black Dog
03-02-2014, 08:55 AM
Love it. Great classic steel with a mix of high tech and classic parts. Keep the pics a'coming!

texbike
03-02-2014, 09:02 AM
sacrilege :eek:

It does seem a bit wrong doesn't it?

Regardless, good luck w/the project OP!

texbike

AngryScientist
03-02-2014, 09:11 AM
how come bar end shifters instead of integrated ergos?

oldpotatoe
03-02-2014, 09:17 AM
how come bar end shifters instead of integrated ergos?

Kinda a long story...always been a Merckx/DeRosa 58cm....broke back in 2002. Healed but 3 broken vertebrae means I shrank almost 2 inches so a 10 vs 12 stem, 58cm legs, 56 cm torso. ERGO makes for a longer reach, didn't want a 9 stem, so bar-ends. Plus the Delta/Delta brake levers.

FlashUNC
03-02-2014, 09:17 AM
Very well done. What did you use to drill the holes?

Fixed
03-02-2014, 09:21 AM
Op rocks
just because we get older
does not mean
we can not think modern
Ideas and still be creative
Cheers :)

buldogge
03-02-2014, 09:35 AM
Hey Peter… Do the EPS wiring bungs "seal" to the frame openings?

I am surprised that the drilling for the RD would be on top of the CS as opposed to the bottom.

I would make sure that it seals well AND that the BB shell has decent drain holes.

Internal acid bath and framesaver next??

-Mark in St. Louis

oldpotatoe
03-02-2014, 10:09 AM
Very well done. What did you use to drill the holes?

5/16 drill bit....connectors are 7mm in diameter

oldpotatoe
03-02-2014, 10:13 AM
Hey Peter… Do the EPS wiring bungs "seal" to the frame openings?

I am surprised that the drilling for the RD would be on top of the CS as opposed to the bottom.

I would make sure that it seals well AND that the BB shell has decent drain holes.

Internal acid bath and framesaver next??

-Mark in St. Louis

The wee rubber things do seal but also prevent the wires from rubbing on the edges.

Hole there on chain stay on advice from framebuilder.

Not gonna ride in wet much, but drain hole, since bb guide gone.

Pix today when done.

jpw
03-02-2014, 10:24 AM
Do you think there's any possibility that someone with skills and tools might be able to hack those EPS shifters to become top mounted push button units?

I wonder how they're put together internally?

oldpotatoe
03-02-2014, 10:53 AM
Do you think there's any possibility that someone with skills and tools might be able to hack those EPS shifters to become top mounted push button units?

I wonder how they're put together internally?

Well they're just switches. Doubt it would be very hard for someone, not me but someone.

jpw
03-02-2014, 11:11 AM
Well they're just switches. Doubt it would be very hard for someone, not me but someone.

is it push down once for one smaller cog, and hold down for a complete sweep down the cassette?

i still down get how Shimano has a monopoly on top shifters as Mavic did that many years before with Zap/ Mektronic.

SPOKE
03-02-2014, 11:29 AM
Just might have to do this to a CSi.....

Look585
03-02-2014, 12:13 PM
Well done Peter. Makes me want to start hunting for a classic steel frame to deface/upgrade with Di2.

FlashUNC
03-02-2014, 12:19 PM
Well done Peter. Makes me want to start hunting for a classic steel frame to deface/upgrade with Di2.

Can always mount it external too.

wildboar
03-02-2014, 12:38 PM
Cool.

Maybe too late to ask, but can you show us how much grease you use when doing UT installation?

oldpotatoe
03-02-2014, 12:49 PM
Cool.

Maybe too late to ask, but can you show us how much grease you use when doing UT installation?

PowerTorque crank, noT UT and lots..inside the cups, spindle, etc.
For the other poster, yes, one 'click' for one gear, hold, multiple.

It's done and this one took less adjust of any I have built(EPS)...I was somewhat concerned about the FD, since the seat tube is very ovalized where the FD goes but no clearance or other, issues..Rear der took about .5mm adjust in 2nd cog, none in 10th...Fder about 1mm outward adjust and it just works.

bobswire
03-02-2014, 12:53 PM
PowerTorque crank, noT UT and lots..inside the cups, spindle, etc.
For the other poster, yes, one 'click' for one gear, hold, multiple.

I's done and this one took less adjust of any I have built(EPS)...I was somewhat concerned about the FD, since the seat tube is very ovalized where the FD goes but no clearance or other, issues..Rear der took about .5mm adjust in 2nd cog, none in 10th...Fder about 1mm outward adjust and it just works.

Very cool, strange seeing bar cons without the loopy cables. I'll bet you'll get more than a fair share of double takes when you take it on the road.

oldpotatoe
03-02-2014, 01:00 PM
Very cool, strange seeing bar cons without the loopy cables. I'll bet you'll get more than a fair share of double takes when you take it on the road.

15 degrees and snow right now....maybe Wednesday..

jpw
03-02-2014, 01:33 PM
v2 upgrade?

Will the EPS bar end controls work with EPS Ergo levers?

pbarry
03-02-2014, 02:15 PM
Congrats on the project, Peter! You are walking the walk since the thread last year debating drilling holes for internal routing. :beer:

oldpotatoe
03-02-2014, 04:12 PM
v2 upgrade?

Will the EPS bar end controls work with EPS Ergo levers?

Nope I wanna keep the external battery so people can see how cool I am.

Not sure what you mean with EPS Ergo.

AngryScientist
03-02-2014, 04:19 PM
well done i say!

something different, for sure, i'm sure you'll enjoy it. give us a ride report when the situation thaws out.

oldpotatoe
03-02-2014, 04:42 PM
Congrats on the project, Peter! You are walking the walk since the thread last year debating drilling holes for internal routing. :beer:

I remember! Wife(not a bike person) asked if it makes the ride better or whatever, no, I say. Why do this she asks.

Because

I

Can

wildboar
03-02-2014, 04:51 PM
Just cable stops used with ERGO, w/o the barrel adjusters.

I have a second MXLeader plus when punching/ drilling downtube, some rust, fun experiment

Wondering about the rust you encountered during the process. Any idea where it formed?

oldpotatoe
03-02-2014, 05:00 PM
Wondering about the rust you encountered during the process. Any idea where it formed?

I've only had the frame for about 3 years, frame itself is 24 years old, no idea of it's history. Surface rust, not severe, since I spent a day inside the tubes routing the wires. Also see the tubes aren't thin walled either.

FlashUNC
03-02-2014, 05:06 PM
When are you ditching the Deltas for brakes that actually stop? :banana:

Black Dog
03-02-2014, 05:45 PM

Oh my.

choke
03-02-2014, 08:34 PM
You're a braver man than I drilling holes in those tubes!No kidding!What are goin to cap the shifter bosses with?When I converted one bike to a singlespeed I picked up some black plastic acorn nuts at the local hardware store. They blend in well and hold to the bosses with no problem.

jpw
03-03-2014, 02:28 AM
Nope I wanna keep the external battery so people can see how cool I am.

Not sure what you mean with EPS Ergo.

EPS brifters...on the drops.

beeatnik
03-03-2014, 03:19 AM

Properly adjusted by 3 mechanics (2 of whom are in Italy), the 4th generation, 5 pivot Delta brakes, actually have some stopping power and work as well (and as loudly) as $45 Tektro V-brakes. Of course, you need those fuschia colored brake pads from Vandelay Industries; the ones made of salmon scales and gold dust from the American River.

Anyway, they're Deltas so it's almost worth risking your life. My front Delta (anyone got an extra barrel adjuster O ring?):

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2862/12900625593_1f87e95916_c.jpg

fuzzalow
03-03-2014, 06:46 AM
Nice work and a most courageous undertaking. Those Merckxs were built tough and if there was any bike out there that could scoff at a few measly holes taken outta its hide, it's that bike.

Look forward to reading your impressions on how EPS works for you.

oldpotatoe
03-03-2014, 07:08 AM

My Deltas work really well, as do any last gen Deltas set up correctly. I can skid both tires, if I wish, which I don't.

Have a local hardware store that has O rings..btw-

oldpotatoe
03-03-2014, 07:10 AM
EPS brifters...on the drops.

No 'y' gate things for barends and ERGO together...not sure what you mean, barend EPS along with ERGO EPS..the barends plug into the interface just like ERGO does.

Black Dog
03-03-2014, 08:18 AM
No 'y' gate things for barends and ERGO together...not sure what you mean, barend EPS along with ERGO EPS..the barends plug into the interface just like ERGO does.

I think that he was asking if you could run the ERGO EPS brifters AND the bar ends at the same time.

witcombusa
03-03-2014, 08:56 AM
My Deltas work really well, as do any last gen Deltas set up correctly. I can skid both tires, if I wish, which I don't.

Have a local hardware store that has O rings..btw-

My CdA Delta's will skid both tires only if on sand or ice :eek: (these are not 5 pivot) They are "modulators!"

Still fine for normal rural riding and actually not much worse than their
single pivot sidepulls from the same era (both assuming factory pads)

Cool Stop pads do make for some improvement.

oldpotatoe
03-03-2014, 09:51 AM
I think that he was asking if you could run the ERGO EPS brifters AND the bar ends at the same time.

Not sure why you would want to but there is brake lever/shifter button Tri bar/cow horn items made by Campagnolo, maybe that 'Y' wire could be used for Ergo/bar end shifter setup

jpw
03-03-2014, 10:09 AM

Yes. Thank you for your intervention.

jpw
03-03-2014, 10:11 AM
Not sure why you would want to but there is brake lever/shifter button Tri bar/cow horn items made by Campagnolo, maybe that 'Y' wire could be used for Ergo/bar end shifter setup

i look at that.

i'm thinking of trying to hack the bar end controls to become top mounted buttons WITH the EPS brifters.

oldpotatoe
03-03-2014, 11:19 AM
i look at that.

i'm thinking of trying to hack the bar end controls to become top mounted buttons WITH the EPS brifters.

Bet it's pretty simple, maybe even using a shimano 'button'....as I said, just switches.

christian
03-03-2014, 11:33 AM
They're contact switches, right? I reckon you could take a gutted 9s Mirage lever....

jpw
03-03-2014, 11:34 AM
Bet it's pretty simple, maybe even using a shimano 'button'....as I said, just switches.

i might try to mine the fairwheel mind.

tiretrax
03-03-2014, 11:38 AM
Cool setup, Peter. Now, what kind of bar tape will you use now that you are no longer contractually obligated to use Vecchio's? Fuschia Handlebra to accent your frame?

oldpotatoe
03-03-2014, 03:19 PM
Cool setup, Peter. Now, what kind of bar tape will you use now that you are no longer contractually obligated to use Vecchio's? Fuschia Handlebra to accent your frame?

I was never contractually obligated to use 'Vecchio's tape. It's a Merckx, not a brand Vecchio's sold.

Fresh outta frns also.

Think you were kidding tho....but gots no frns.

jpw
03-04-2014, 01:40 AM
They're contact switches, right? I reckon you could take a gutted 9s Mirage lever....

are they? i'd like to see pix of inside. now if someone could just loosen off those hex bolts....

oldpotatoe
03-04-2014, 06:36 AM
are they? i'd like to see pix of inside. now if someone could just loosen off those hex bolts....

Ya gotta take the barends apart to mount on handlebars..should've taken a pic of the innards, didn't tho, aren't gonna now-sorry..

jpw
03-04-2014, 09:36 AM
Ya gotta take the barends apart to mount on handlebars..should've taken a pic of the innards, didn't tho, aren't gonna now-sorry..

I may try a tt lever hack instead. It already has buttons in a housing. half way there.

jpw
03-04-2014, 09:40 AM
http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/photos/gallery-time-trial-bikes-at-the-tours-opening-prologue/229211

This photo suggests it is possible to have two EPS shifter options installed on a bike at the same time.

wildboar
03-04-2014, 10:22 AM
Peter,

Can you post a photo of the bike from the side when it's all done?

FlashUNC
03-04-2014, 10:49 AM
http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/photos/gallery-time-trial-bikes-at-the-tours-opening-prologue/229211

This photo suggests it is possible to have two EPS shifter options installed on a bike at the same time.

They've probably got a custom or TT specific DTI box. Thing to remember is there's only one cable running from the bars to the computer/brain. Both levers essentially hook into connectors from the DTI interface. Campy may have boxes with more than one connector or some setup to accommodate these multiple shift positions, but on their commercially available stuff that I've seen, you simply don't have the connections necessary for multiple shifters.

That could all change of course if they've got some products in the pipeline.

oldpotatoe
03-04-2014, 11:02 AM
They've probably got a custom or TT specific DTI box. Thing to remember is there's only one cable running from the bars to the computer/brain. Both levers essentially hook into connectors from the DTI interface. Campy may have boxes with more than one connector or some setup to accommodate these multiple shift positions, but on their commercially available stuff that I've seen, you simply don't have the connections necessary for multiple shifters.

That could all change of course if they've got some products in the pipeline.

The way Campagnolo does it wires from interface unit, one to each shifter or to a 'y' wire, one each to barend and one to the cow horn brake lever that has shifter buttons on it.

jpw
03-04-2014, 11:40 AM
The way Campagnolo does it wires from interface unit, one to each shifter or to a 'y' wire, one each to barend and one to the cow horn brake lever that has shifter buttons on it.

so only two socket holes out of the junction box, but 'Y' wires to create two routing out to two shifter positions for each hand? Yes, that sounds reasonable.

I might try taking the brake levers off the tt shifters and creating a short section of handlebar tube to hang off brackets under the bike's handlebar near the stem.

AngryScientist
03-04-2014, 11:47 AM
i prefer down tube shifters myself.

http://trackosaurus.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/old/images/FYXOShifters.png

thirdgenbird
03-04-2014, 12:09 PM
My wife has been using a Campagnolo shifter as the zipper pull on her winter coat for several years.

tiretrax
03-04-2014, 12:52 PM
Think you were kidding tho....but gots no frns.Yes, I was kidding, but humor doesn't always transfer electronically. That will be a very cool bike when you're finished.

oldpotatoe
03-04-2014, 03:24 PM
Peter,

Can you post a photo of the bike from the side when it's all done?

Have you seen the photobucket link?

jr59
03-04-2014, 03:38 PM
Hey Peter, how about some pic of the bike Jim just built for you!

The decals and seat caps are to sweet, and please no extra holes in that one!

:banana:

wildboar
03-04-2014, 04:02 PM
Have you seen the photobucket link?

Yeah. I was trying to see if there was one of those "garage-door" type profile pics of it.

oldpotatoe
03-04-2014, 04:54 PM
Hey Peter, how about some pic of the bike Jim just built for you!

The decals and seat caps are to sweet, and please no extra holes in that one!

:banana:

It's at the shop and already in a box for NAHBS....post show.

oldpotatoe
03-04-2014, 05:17 PM
Yeah. I was trying to see if there was one of those "garage-door" type profile pics of it.

Well, it's just a MXLeader...with a power pack below the downtube bottle cage.

oldpotatoe
03-05-2014, 02:44 PM

Rode it today, geee, it works great.

zzzt. zzzt...

Roger M
03-05-2014, 05:58 PM
Nice work. The battery(and the shifter boss caps) aren't as obvious as I woulda thunk.

I'd do it too if I had the means. Maybe some C-Record crank arms and shift buttons hidden in those brake levers on mine...

I like your choice of rims too.

thirdgenbird
03-05-2014, 07:23 PM
C record arms with 11 speed rings would be the ticket. I think the bar ends look perfectly acceptable.

wallymann
03-05-2014, 07:32 PM
problem solvers makes some w/o the vestigal shift-cable-housing structures:

http://urbanvelo.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/problem_solvers_shifter_boss-300x187.jpg

or better yet, since you're removing metal, why not just grind the bosses off completely?! ;-)

jpw
03-06-2014, 02:05 AM
Rode it today, geee, it works great.

zzzt. zzzt...

with those brake levers one needs to look closely to realise it's an electronic bike. stealthy.

oldpotatoe
03-06-2014, 06:25 AM
with those brake levers one needs to look closely to realise it's an electronic bike. stealthy.

Rode next to a guy on a Colnago MasterLight..he said, "wow, Deltas'..then I pointed out the battery..and he just said, 'what?"...I had to stop to take a call, he rode on.

oldpotatoe
03-06-2014, 06:39 AM
C record arms with 11 speed rings would be the ticket. I think the bar ends look perfectly acceptable.

I may..I swapped the 34 for a 36 on the crank..BUT the jump still 'seems' pretty large..I have ridden 50/39 with C-Record for over a decade..this the first foray into 'compact'.

BUT I'd like a Record or Chorus CT, square taper, for the Moots wet weather bike..cuz I got 2 Phil at 102mm...If I ever find one.

jpw
03-06-2014, 06:45 AM
Rode next to a guy on a Colnago MasterLight..he said, "wow, Deltas'..then I pointed out the battery..and he just said, 'what?"...I had to stop to take a call, he rode on.

i assume a V2 battery doesn't fit the seat tube? that would camouflage the electronic sacrilege.

stien
03-06-2014, 08:39 AM
Awesome. I was thinking installing DT mounted switches would be the ticket.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

soulspinner
03-06-2014, 08:45 AM
Cool rig. Diggin the bar tape....:cool:

oldpotatoe
03-06-2014, 09:10 AM
i assume a V2 battery doesn't fit the seat tube? that would camouflage the electronic sacrilege.

Once again had no interest in V2 battery, either internal or external. How do people see how cool I am with the battery hidden?

'Sacriledge' on this frame would be 'spam', clinchers...

jpw
03-06-2014, 12:19 PM
How do people see how cool I am with the battery hidden?

good quiz question.

thirdgenbird
03-06-2014, 12:28 PM
How do people see how cool I am with the battery hidden?

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s2/chisholm2744/BWtattoo_zps2de30b70.jpg

soulspinner
03-06-2014, 12:45 PM
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s2/chisholm2744/BWtattoo_zps2de30b70.jpg

:p