PDA

View Full Version : Way OT: AdChoices

rounder
03-01-2014, 06:45 PM
I use Internet Explorer and have noticed recently on all three computers that I use that there is an ad in the upper right corner of my IE page and shows AdChoices right below the ad. Below the ad, I am also prompted to select whether the ad is relevant. I have also noticed that when visiting other sites, I am seeing ads for things that I have looked at recently (i.e. ad for Giro helmet). I googled "what is adchoices and should I get rid of it" and the sites that came up said that AdChoices is a malware that must be removed. Cookies are planted that report on my interests and can even use hardnosed tactics to help ensure that I buy what is being advertised. I can also buy software such as SpyHunter to remove the virus (which I did).

I followed the instructions to remove the software using Control Panel and add-ons, but could not even find AdChoices listed.

I do not have a problem with MS, Google, Yahoo, etc. posting ads to help raise revenue, but do not want my computers to be taken over by robots.

Should I be concerned that AdChoices shows up on my IE page. Also, are companies selling unnecessary software to supposedly remove alien software. Thanks

kramnnim
03-01-2014, 06:52 PM
Yeah, there are free programs that will remove the crap...look for spybot search and destroy. Would link to it but I am using my phone.

Scooper
03-01-2014, 07:09 PM
Install Adblock Plus for IE (https://adblockplus.org/en/internet-explorer)

Vientomas
03-01-2014, 07:13 PM
I've been using Ghostery and like the results.

CAAD
03-02-2014, 06:11 AM
People use ie? Chrome and done. Easy to remove or disable any unintentional garbage.