PDA

View Full Version : Pointless?!?!?!?

itsflantastic
02-02-2006, 06:24 PM
Your opinion please. . .
is it pointless to own both a CSI and an ATLANTA?!?
Just recieved my slightly better fitting atlanta today from a fellow forumite, and all of the sudden, I feel a bit silly having two lugged steel serottas (. . .and nothing else in the road bike dept.)

Your opinion please. . .
The follow up post may go something like this,
"Anyone wanna buy a csi with about 1000 miles on it?"

thanks!
Dan

Fixed
02-02-2006, 06:44 PM
bro you said they are different, if you must,... make one the rough weather bike,... but you may end liking it the best i.m.h.o. cheers :beer:

itsflantastic
02-02-2006, 06:53 PM
think the atlanta could handle some collegiate level road races? This all started anyway because I was afraid of crashing the CSI, the glorious bike that it is (that's reasonable right?). I know I'd never be able to replace it, and even if they still made it I don't have that kind of money (let's just say I "found" it and it fit me!).
Pros:
-The atlanta fits slightly better and has a carbon fork (I guess that's a pro?)
-It's not the CSI, Crashing the atlanta won't be the end of the world.
-It's still a Serotta
-It'll ride almost as nice as the CSI ( haven't ridden it yet)

Cons:
It's not the CSI. . .
It's a little heavier.
I'll be going up against an army of stiff aluminum bikes

Anyway, any input much appreciated.
And if anyone has say, a Fina Estampa in a 58 that they'd want to trade for a csi, let me know! :banana:

-dan

taz-t
02-02-2006, 07:16 PM
Your opinion please. . .
is it pointless to own both a CSI and an ATLANTA?!?

thanks!
Dan

No,no,no... it's pointless to watch CSI and live in Atlanta, c'est pas?

speaking from experience,
Taz

slowgoing
02-02-2006, 07:27 PM
I have both and like the Atlanta better.

Peter
02-02-2006, 10:02 PM
It's American gluttony, plain and simple.

If you can't afford to crash your bike on race day and replace it the next day, then your bike is just plain too expensive.

So yes; get rid of one bike and give your complete love and attention to the other.

vaxn8r
02-02-2006, 10:36 PM
I have both and like the Atlanta better.
Would you elaborate? How are they set up?

slowgoing
02-02-2006, 11:09 PM
Would you elaborate? How are they set up?

Same set up. Both are stock. CSI feels more flexy in the top tube.

gasman
02-02-2006, 11:50 PM
Keep 'em both. Race the Atlanta. Nurture the CSI.

Birddog
02-03-2006, 12:32 AM
I too have both an Atlanta (54 w/Shimano 9)and a CSi (55L w/Record 10). The numbers are close enough that both should fit, but I prefer the Atlanta. Admittedly, I haven't gone overboard trying to tweak the CSi to get it spot on and I know I could, but they are very close. The ride is similar even though I have an Ouzo Pro on the Atlanta, and the stock steel fork on the CSi. Now I'm sure some of you could go on and on about the vagueries of the two forks, but frankly, I don't see (feel) that much difference, even on long (100 mile) rides, although for long rides, I again prefer the Atlanta. When I do my occasional road race (3 or 4 times a year), I ride the Atlanta. I prefer it for racing as much for the fit as for it's disposable value. It's just not as expensive to replace. I'm invariably on the oldest, heaviest,least trendy bike in the field, but I do alright. It's still 95% rider 5% bike IMO. I can't think of a single time that I felt like I could have placed better had I been aboard a different bike.

Birddog

Climb01742
02-03-2006, 04:02 AM
race the atlanta, pamper the CSi. if you ride a lot, switching bikes is one way to just vary things, add a little diversity, a little spice. too many bikes? no such thing! ;)

this isn't the first time people have said how much they like an atlanta, often over even a CSi. any idea what makes the atlanta an enduring fav?

IXXI
02-03-2006, 04:08 AM
Always such fun to read posts like this-- especially since I just sold both my Atlantas!!! :crap: Aaaaaanyway, enjoy Ken and Geoff. I would never have let em go if I didn't have to, but it is cool that they'll still be on the forum.

toaster
02-03-2006, 08:57 AM
Why not? One bike is little dirty and needs the chain cleaned and the other is prepped perfectly. After riding the clean bike you only have to flip a coin to see which one gets a bath and some oil.