PDA

View Full Version : Fork for a reasonably large frame

MikeM
02-02-2006, 06:20 PM
Hey guys,

Having a frame built up and am currently speccing forks. I can get a really good deal on various forks, but after all the good reviews was interested in an Ouzo pro. Anyone tried on of these in a big frame (I'm not going to cut the steerer tube - 300mm gives me just about enough steerer)? Anyone got any recommendations for alternatives?

Thanks guys!

Mike

Fixed
02-02-2006, 06:27 PM
Hey guys,

Having a frame built up and am currently speccing forks. I can get a really good deal on various forks, but after all the good reviews was interested in an Ouzo pro. Anyone tried on of these in a big frame (I'm not going to cut the steerer tube - 300mm gives me just about enough steerer)? Anyone got any recommendations for alternatives?

Thanks guys!

Mike time

loctite
02-02-2006, 06:30 PM
Serotta forks are great (made by Reynolds) but are available in 3 different stiffness. If you are a bigger guy its the only way to go.

Fixed
02-02-2006, 06:39 PM
Serotta forks are great (made by Reynolds) but are available in 3 different stiffness. If you are a bigger guy its the only way to go.
I 'll 2 nd that cheers :beer:

saab2000
02-02-2006, 06:41 PM
Don't throw out the idea of a steel fork.

MikeM
02-02-2006, 07:00 PM
Good suggestions guys, the deal on the ouzo pro is to get it for around £140, normal RRP is £300 so you can see it's a bit of a steal. Plus I'm not rich enough for a serrota fork.

Other possibles for my price are columbus muscle, look HSC4SL and ritchey pro. Although the ouzo pro has overwhelmingly good reviews...

Mike

saab2000
02-02-2006, 07:06 PM
I have a Look HSC3 carbon fork on my Merckx. I do not find it adequately rigid. I have since purchased a Reynolds Ouzo Pro, but have not yet installed it. I have heard that they are stiffer.

SoCalSteve
02-02-2006, 07:37 PM
I had a Ouzo Pro on my Seven Axiom (62 x 61) great fork, great ride, nice looking, stiff enough, absorbed road vibrations well..everything you'd want a fork to do.

I wouldnt hesitate, especially if you think that you can get it for a great price. No hesitations.

Steve

PS: I sold the Axiom when I realized that my Hors Categorie and Ottrott were much nicer. Didnt need 3 Ti bikes, right?

PSS: I'm 6' 5" and weigh about 245-255 depending....So, no worries about weight issues with the Ouzo Pro.

Needs Help
02-02-2006, 08:02 PM
The alphaQ Z was specifically made for large frames, and it has a longer, thicker steerer. So, if you are looking for something stiffer, that would be an option. It's a straight bladed fork, though, so it has a different aesthetic look than an Ouzo Pro.

TimD
02-02-2006, 09:20 PM
I'm running a straight-blade Alpha Q on my 63cm (+1.5cm HT extension) Legend, and an Ouzo Pro on my 61cm Marcelo. The Ouzo Pro seems to have a better ride, but I'd have to compare on identical frames to be sure.

The original 300mm Ouzo Pro steerer wasn't quite long enough for where I wanted the stem (e.g., it allowed zero spacer stack height), so I swapped it out for a special order article with a 350mm steerer and am now using 2cm of spacers.

Check at your LBS or at www.reynoldscomposites.com for more information.

TimD

jerk
02-02-2006, 09:28 PM
time

what fixed said.

jerk

Jeff N.
02-02-2006, 09:33 PM
Some will disagree, but I've become quite partial to the Kestrel EMS Pro OS fork. It is built superbly, the price is right and, most importantly, comes with a thick-walled 310mm aluminum steerer. I feel much more secure with the alloy tube, not having to be so careful when tightening down the stem, having to check it periodically for cracks, etc. It's a little heavier than an all carbon fork, to be sure. But I just feel like it gives me an extra margin of safety and I'm a card-carrying Clyde! As others have said, it is a VERY underrated fork. It performs quite well. Send it off to JB for a paint-to-match-the-frame job and you're dialed! He'll remove the decals, add new ones of your choice-if you like-and paint it any way you like for about $75.00. Jeff N.

Steve Hampsten
02-02-2006, 11:32 PM
I like Wound Up forks too, especially for big guys. Flame away.

The Ouzo is great - absolutely no complaints - I ride it and it takes a 25mm tire just fine, which the Alpha Q will not.

You might consider an Ouzo Crit which is a slightly heavier/stiffer version of the Ouzo. If you want a stiffer version. And I'm not saying you should. But if you did...