PDA

View Full Version : Shimano 9001 Cable setup...

oldguy00
03-01-2014, 06:47 AM
Hi all, I usually do all the work on my own bike. Getting ready to setup my new 9001 shifters. I'm a little confused - there are two cable housing end caps with 'tongues' included in the cable package. Not two sets, just two, one with a short tongue, and one with a longer tongue.
I've been looking at the instruction guide on Shimano's website, and I'm not clear on where they should be used. I know they are for the shifter cables (not the brakes), but unclear as to where exactly they should be used.

Help! :)

oldpotatoe
03-01-2014, 06:55 AM
Hi all, I usually do all the work on my own bike. Getting ready to setup my new 9001 shifters. I'm a little confused - there are two cable housing end caps with 'tongues' included in the cable package. Not two sets, just two, one with a short tongue, and one with a longer tongue.
I've been looking at the instruction guide on Shimano's website, and I'm not clear on where they should be used. I know they are for the shifter cables (not the brakes), but unclear as to where exactly they should be used.

Help! :)

AS the cable exits the lever, right at the lever, they go into a groove as the cable goes aft, a ferrule into them as well. Don't have a picture, sorry.

oldguy00
03-01-2014, 07:28 AM
Thanks. So, if I understand clearly.....the two caps are to be used on the piece of shifter housing for the rear shifter, the smaller tongue on the side of the shifter, the longer tongue on the side going into the frame?

Cheers

oldpotatoe
03-01-2014, 07:34 AM
Thanks. So, if I understand clearly.....the two caps are to be used on the piece of shifter housing for the rear shifter, the smaller tongue on the side of the shifter, the longer tongue on the side going into the frame?

Cheers

No, one for the FD shifter, the other for the rear..wish I had a pic...They go into the hole in the lever right after the cable exists the lever, just aft of the plate number 10 in this diagram.

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/EV/bikecomponents/ST/EV-ST-9000-3331_v1_m56577569830810301.pdf