PDA

View Full Version : Vintage build question

2wheelwill
02-28-2014, 10:38 PM
Contemplating yet another project I don't need: a classic Vitus lugged aluminum frame that I want to build with a modern Campy chorus 11spd group. My question is about rear wheel spacing.

Rear wheel spacing on the Vitus measures 127mm (assuming it's supposed to be standard 126mm but actual measurement is 127mm). Anyway I can rebuild a 130mm rear hub to fit? If so is there some hub this would be easiest to rebuild?

Thanks

GuyGadois
02-28-2014, 10:47 PM
Contemplating yet another project I don't need: a classic Vitus lugged aluminum frame that I want to build with a modern Campy chorus 11spd group. My question is about rear wheel spacing.

Rear wheel spacing on the Vitus measures 127mm (assuming it's supposed to be standard 126mm but actual measurement is 127mm). Anyway I can rebuild a 130mm rear hub to fit? If so is there some hub this would be easiest to rebuild?

Thanks

130mm hub should fit just fine in that rear triangle. A little snug but just fine. Don't rebuild the hub.

GG

oliver1850
03-01-2014, 12:56 AM
I think you could take a couple of mms off the left side of a Mirage 9 hub. There isn't much to play with on the drive side with an 11 speed cassette. It's going to increase the dish, so you might want to use a 36 hole hub. You may have to shorten the axle a bit. The way the hub is made, there's some gap between the axle caps and the ends of the axles, but I doubt it's 2mm. I'm not sure how hard the axle material is, but the spacer is hard enough that it'd need to be ground to shorten it. Probably easier to make a new one. I really don't see any reason that the spacers need to be that hard - Campagnolo could, so they did. I think an aluminum one would be fine.

I think the last gen. Mirage/Veloce/Centaur is essentially the same, but the left side spacer has an integral bearing cover. I haven't take one apart but the spacer looks to be aluminum. Easier material to machine, but harder to get square in the lathe chuck than the straight spacer of the 9 speed hub.

Another hub option would be any of the steel axle 9 speed hubs. They have a left side lock nut that's 8 mm wide. You can replace it with a 4 mm lock nut (not sure what hub they come from) and a 1 mm spacer and have your 127 mm OLD.

Louis
03-01-2014, 01:11 AM
Contemplating yet another project I don't need: a classic Vitus lugged aluminum frame that I want to build with a modern Campy chorus 11spd group.

You have more faith in those old bonded joints than I do. I bought a NOS 979 a few years back and after checking it out more closely decided it would serve better as wall art than actual riding.

RedRider
03-01-2014, 06:33 AM
You have more faith in those old bonded joints than I do. I bought a NOS 979 a few years back and after checking it out more closely decided it would serve better as wall art than actual riding.

You beat me to the comment... Vitus were innovative and good looking but bonding and material technology has come a long way. Personally, I wouldn't ride one in a straight line no matter how good a condition it was. It would look nice hanging on a wall.

FlashUNC
03-01-2014, 07:23 AM
I would stretch steel, but not aluminum. That's asking for a failure, especially from a Vitus.

oldpotatoe
03-01-2014, 07:30 AM
I would stretch steel, but not aluminum. That's asking for a failure, especially from a Vitus.

What he said..you could take a conventional, steel axled hub, that is 11s Campag, remove 3mm from the LH side, and redish some..But I wouldn't force Vitus 'screwed and glued' dropouts parallel with the QR..asking for an unbinding there.

wallymann
03-01-2014, 08:20 AM
it will fail, the risks of failure are just too great.

AL != Steel

spacemen3
03-01-2014, 08:53 AM
I still ride my old Vitus 979 from time to time, and it's perfectly fine. If you're not planning on doing something stupid like towing a Burley or clamping it to a trainer, you shouldn't have any issues. These are not stiff frames, so a 130 hub can be made to work, but you might run into clearance issues with an 11-speed cassette. IMHO, a Suntour Superbe drivetrain would look much nicer than new Campy. :)

thirdgenbird
03-01-2014, 10:53 AM
Let's take another approach to this.

How many shimano 11 cogs (same spacing) can you get on a shimano 7spd cassette hub? If I recall, 8 of 9 will fit so you might be able to fit 9 of 11 if a shimano cassette lets you easily drop out two cogs.

I wouldn't stretch an old vitus, but I would try a good example as is.

avalonracing
03-01-2014, 11:20 AM
I had a 979 and I would trust it on its own if it's in good shape but I would also be a bit hesitant to put undue full-time stress on the stays. If it's nice built it up with some old seven speed and some DT shifters and have fun.

GuyGadois
03-01-2014, 01:04 PM
130mm hub should fit just fine in that rear triangle. A little snug but just fine. Don't rebuild the hub.

GG

Sorry, but I was assuming he was into danger already by riding a 30 year old screwed and glued frame. :)

I forgot about the old AL thing and catastrophic failure.

tiretrax
03-01-2014, 01:45 PM
Why not do an 8 speed campy build on it? Do you really need 11? A friend restores bikes, and he found a KAS team frame that may have been Sean Kelly's (his size and some provenance to confirm it). He decided to go period on it, and then, he decided it was better to admire than ride. I see those Vitus and Alans periodically and am tempted by their beauty, but I don't need a frame to hang on the wall.

guyintense
03-01-2014, 02:30 PM
Sorry, but I was assuming he was into danger already by riding a 30 year old screwed and glued frame. :)

I forgot about the old AL thing and catastrophic failure.

And not just the frame, that had an aluminium fork as well. I second the wall art suggestion.

2wheelwill
03-01-2014, 04:52 PM
Yeah, I've heard these tend to break but they're so damn cool looking....and I've always wanted one! As for the build, I already have a period correct classic so was just thinking of doing something different. I've never seen a Vitus with a modern build so thought it would be cool. Stupid I know - but cool nonetheless!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk