PDA

View Full Version : Sidi sizing, new VS old?

Lewis Moon
02-28-2014, 08:04 AM
I have a pair of early Genius (2/3?) that fit very well. I noticed that the new Sidis come in widths. What does the old Sidi width correspond to? They were narrow to begin with, are the "mediums" still a bit narrow or should I get the narrows?

charliedid
02-28-2014, 08:28 AM
Look here

http://www.sidiamerica.com/sidi/faq.html#11

No need for narrow if you didn't need them before. 1/2 size is a touch (3mm)longer and higher volume. FWIF I used to wear a 43 years ago but have been in 44 for 14 years or so.

Lewis Moon
02-28-2014, 09:36 AM
Look here

http://www.sidiamerica.com/sidi/fml#11

No need for narrow if you didn't need them before. 1/2 size is a touch (3mm)longer and higher volume. FWIF I used to wear a 43 years ago but have been in 44 for 14 years or so.

Thanks. So you're saying the sizing has stayed stable and that a Genius 2/3 in 45 will be the same size as a 5/6 in 45 medium?

zennmotion
02-28-2014, 11:55 AM
Thanks. So you're saying the sizing has stayed stable and that a Genius 2/3 in 45 will be the same size as a 5/6 in 45 medium?

Yes, but a 45.5 will be essentially the same length as a 45 but with a little more room in the toe box. A non- scientific on-bike "survey" (ie conducted during a paceline of about 20 riders where at least half were in Sidis and I needed to keep them talking to keep the pace to where my old man legs could keep up) All but 2 were wearing half sizes because of the width-curious. So based on this blind (ie me in tunnel vision) statistical survey, if you're medium like me (and most of them) get the half size up.

Oh, and it's very possible that if your feet are at least as old as your old Sidi's then chances are they may be a bit bigger as your arches drop with age. Plus the newer shoe materials don't stretch as much as old-school leather. You can also just buy them from a brick and mortar as Sidi's don't discount much online. The fifty bucks or so you save vs time/value hassle of ordering 2 or more pair and returning. And as good as Sidi's are they're not for all feet and there's a lot more good choices out there than there used to be.

eippo1
02-28-2014, 12:09 PM
I'd agree with all of the above. I have a rather narrow foot and continue to wear the 46's that I have been wearing since my Genius 3's. Perfect transition to Ergo 2's with the heel retention.
I do cinch them down more than they recommend, but find that going to the narrow shoe did not work for me since I always replace the insole with Superfeet or Specialized. One thing worth mentioning is that the new Wires have significantly more room in the toe box, but I did not see a reason to size down.

wallymann
02-28-2014, 09:46 PM
a pair of ergos in the shiny/stiff vernice fit 1/2 size smaller than the same shoe in regular lorica.

and the sizing between ergo1 to ergo2 changed. i've heard ergo3s are different yet again. and the new wires are different still.

eippo1
03-10-2014, 08:06 AM
a pair of ergos in the shiny/stiff vernice fit 1/2 size smaller than the same shoe in regular lorica.

and the sizing between ergo1 to ergo2 changed. i've heard ergo3s are different yet again. and the new wires are different still.

Actually, I may have to revise my earlier statement. I am a 46 in both the Genius and the Ergo 2's. I got the Wire in a 46, and they seemed fine while on the trainer, but now that I have taken them out on the road seem a bit too big. I will most likely get rid of the 46's and get some 45.5's.

lhuerta
03-10-2014, 11:21 AM
In my experience, I noticed a significant difference when Sidi changed from Millennium sole Genius models to the Ergo carbon models...I dropped an entire size from 46 to 45. The intro of the new Wire model has resulted in another size drop for me down to 44.5, I don't think the sole or the last has changed compared to Ergo carbon models, but rather eliminating the strap hardware and the new tongue provides a bit of additional room.

Lou

pdmtong
03-10-2014, 06:01 PM
Do a search. I posted a review of the new Wire with comments on the sizing changes

Bruce K
03-10-2014, 06:55 PM
My son just got a new pair and went down a whole size

BK

dawit
03-11-2014, 08:07 AM
I got two pairs of Sidi's from 2011 and they are less roomy than the 2013 Wire's I own. Dunno if the fit would require a 0.5 size down but yeah there is a difference in fit.

wallymann
03-11-2014, 08:51 AM
from what model/size to what model/size?

My son just got a new pair and went down a whole size

BK

dawit
03-11-2014, 09:12 AM
From Ergo's 3 and Dragon.

Bruce K
03-11-2014, 09:43 AM
Older Genius (plastic done) to newer Genius (carbon sole)

BK

nomdutilisateur
03-11-2014, 02:16 PM
I recently bought a pair of regular width sidis after years of being told I didn't have a "sidi foot". Didn't realize they changed the sizing.

Mikej
03-12-2014, 05:37 AM
Just my .02 - I only ride Sidi shoes. Current road = 6.6 size 44. Just replaced my Dragon 2 mtb size 44 with a Drako world cup size 44. Drako sole is same size, tip to heel is same size, toe box is roomier. Shoe buckles down in a lower profile making it seem like it is flatter. I would not, however, be able to ride a size smaller. The Drako are serious stiff and very nice.

lukasz
05-12-2014, 10:40 AM
Anyone go from a Dragon (original) to a shoe made in the last 2 or 3 years? Or a shoe from the same era. I guess Mikej's post above is pretty darn close to what I am asking. I tried to find out what the hell the time period for the Dragon model is and my best guess is 2000-2004 or something. I'm curious if the sizing is still the same. I'm likely going to buy the new carbon soled Spider.

Emailed Sidi about it but not expecting snappy response. Their site says shoes made in the last 4 or 5 years fit differently than models made prior.

I measured my Sidi Dragon and while the size 47 last is supposed to be 28.5 cm long (or does that refer to how long my foot should be to fit in it?), My insole is cut to 29.5 and fits perfectly. My foot is 29 cm long. Of course no one's got these things to try on.

Mikej
05-12-2014, 09:11 PM
Anyone go from a Dragon (original) to a shoe made in the last 2 or 3 years? Or a shoe from the same era. I guess Mikej's post above is pretty darn close to what I am asking. I tried to find out what the hell the time period for the Dragon model is and my best guess is 2000-2004 or something. I'm curious if the sizing is still the same. I'm likely going to buy the new carbon soled Spider.

Emailed Sidi about it but not expecting snappy response. Their site says shoes made in the last 4 or 5 years fit differently than models made prior.

I measured my Sidi Dragon and while the size 47 last is supposed to be 28.5 cm long (or does that refer to how long my foot should be to fit in it?), My insole is cut to 29.5 and fits perfectly. My foot is 29 cm long. Of course no one's got these things to try on.
I would order your current size and a half size smaller, from somewhere that will accept an unused return of the one that doesn't fit. Jus t a bit on the old card, beets not fitting and selling for cheaper to buy the correct size. Cost 9 bucks to sen back.

don compton
05-12-2014, 09:35 PM
Years ago I bought some 45.5 narrow Sidis. The drilling for the pedals was too far forward. I bought some Specialized shoes and have never looked back. Like many Italian companies( i.e. Campy ), the Italian shoe manufacturers will not offer solutions to us folks with weird feet.