PDA

View Full Version : I like Rapha's gig BUT

oldpotatoe
02-28-2014, 07:23 AM
this is ridiculous...I know it's an ad, setup for the picture...maybe drinkin some Stella, rather than little coffees..all with their hats on...

christian
02-28-2014, 07:27 AM
You like Rapha but for this?

This is Rapha.

El Chaba
02-28-2014, 07:35 AM
Rapha gets it *SO* close....and then they take it just too far and become foppish...

oldpotatoe
02-28-2014, 07:37 AM

This is Rapha.

I don't think so, the pic on the website with them getting on their bikes is more 'Rapha', Euro. These guys seem, other than silly skinny, to 'posed'..

Still like Rapha but this better.

rwsaunders
02-28-2014, 07:37 AM
OP...are you a saying that Assos girl and guy are closer to reality?:cool:

benb
02-28-2014, 07:38 AM
They're so posed they look as if they're all too cool to talk to each other.

oldpotatoe
02-28-2014, 07:39 AM

Ahhh...

leooooo
02-28-2014, 07:41 AM
I swear y'all seek out these pictures.
I just go to rapha.cc, click sales, click clearance, look for medium, buy, wait for shipping, wear and enjoy.

Ti Designs
02-28-2014, 08:01 AM
They're so posed they look as if they're all too cool to talk to each other.

On NPR's radio show Car Talk, they have a theory that if a blonde girl is driving a Camaro on Revere Beach Parkway with the stereo blasting, there's a 90% chance her name is Donna.

While I do know many exceptions to this, if you're out riding and you come across some guy dressed in Rapha, there's a pretty good chance they're not going to talk to you or even acknowledge that you exist.

cdn_bacon
02-28-2014, 08:02 AM
what about the banana...

strategically placed?

avalonracing
02-28-2014, 08:07 AM

This is Rapha.

Well put.

And note that you are looking at $210 worth of Cappuccino Sets there (if they are the Rapha sets).

Ssalmon
02-28-2014, 08:11 AM
on npr's radio show car talk, they have a theory that if a blonde girl is driving a camaro on revere beach parkway with the stereo blasting, there's a 90% chance her name is donna.

While i do know many exceptions to this, if you're out riding and you come across some guy dressed in rapha, there's a pretty good chance they're not going to talk to you or even acknowledge that you exist.

+ 1.

oldpotatoe
Well put.

And note that you are looking at $210 worth of Cappuccino Sets there (if they are the Rapha sets).

Like I said, I like Rapha 'stuff', and think they have the marketing wired...to include their storefronts but that pic looks so staged...not for the sensitive, 'allrounder' types....no rapha here

tv_vt
When I look at that, I think of the New Yorker magazine deal about giving a cartoon a caption. Looking at those guys, I try to think, OK what's their gig? Who are those guys? Do they actually work for a living, or are they all black sheep British royalty, or Internet millionaires, or what? They're riding Rapha, so they have too much money to be Cat 3's (maybe). Do they even race? Or are they Euro-fondo junkies? What do they do when they're not riding? Do they have a significant other? Do they live in total squalor except for their Colnagos and dressers full of nothing but Rapha?

Whatever. But Rapha does have a brand, don't they? Genius on one level, you have to admit. Pearl Izumi, Castelli and others have nothing like this. Only the Assos guy and girl come close in making an impression, which is the name of the game in marketing, no?

R2D2
02-28-2014, 08:14 AM
Good thing it's not in Arizona.

oldpotatoe
02-28-2014, 08:15 AM
When I look at that, I think of the New Yorker magazine deal about giving a cartoon a caption. Looking at those guys, I try to think, OK what's their gig? Who are those guys? Do they actually work for a living, or are they all black sheep British royalty, or Internet millionaires, or what? They're riding Rapha, so they have too much money to be Cat 3's (maybe). Do they even race? Or are they Euro-fondo junkies? What do they do when they're not riding? Do they have a significant other? Do they live in total squalor except for their Colnagos and dressers full of nothing but Rapha?

Whatever. But Rapha does have a brand, don't they? Genius on one level, you have to admit. Pearl Izumi, Castelli and others have nothing like this. Only the Assos guy and girl come close in making an impression, which is the name of the game in marketing, no?

Yesssssss

Like Apple..their ipad ads talk about the wonderfulness of ipads..when the competition talks about how good their's is and how inferior ipad is...as if the ipad(and Rapha) IS the standard..which it........is.

Always thought it was good to make them compete with you, not the other way around.

A guy from RedBull or somebody, said RedBull is a marketing company, that sells an energy drink..well done!!

For R2D2..Funny!!! well done sir....

avalonracing
02-28-2014, 08:19 AM
Maybe someone should ask the guys in the Rapha ad:

oldpotatoe
02-28-2014, 08:22 AM
On NPR's radio show Car Talk, they have a theory that if a blonde girl is driving a Camaro on Revere Beach Parkway with the stereo blasting, there's a 90% chance her name is Donna.

While I do know many exceptions to this, if you're out riding and you come across some guy dressed in Rapha, there's a pretty good chance they're not going to talk to you or even acknowledge that you exist.

Maybe, maybe not..I know more than a few 'normal' guys who wear Rapha BUT if I had any desire to do the retail thing again(I don't)..with lotsa $, I'd look into doing the Rapha store front thing in the Republic of Boulder..think it would be an 'auto'...

http://nowherefast.cc/rapha-cycle-club-tokyo

http://www.happyjappy.com/tokyo/ginza/the_apple_store_ginza.html

johnmdesigner
02-28-2014, 08:32 AM
Most of us here are equipment junkies with far more $$ invested than our riding justifies.
I'm sitting here in a crowded apartment with more bike s**t than I can ever use. But I still want one of those jerseys.

That's the genius of it.

I guess if I were art directing the photo I would have the guy on the end be one of those old Italian men with the beer bellies that seem to climb hills effortlessly.

JAGI410
02-28-2014, 08:32 AM
Those hats look like they've never seen a bike ride.

avalonracing
02-28-2014, 08:39 AM
Those hats look like they've never seen a bike ride.

And those bodies look like they have never seen a push-up.

Charles M
02-28-2014, 08:45 AM

True,

But if we toss out the pictures and hype for both companies, Assos are left standing on a mountain of product quality. Rapha nearly disappears in a puff is Chinese smog (though it's scented with a hint of chamomile...)

AngryScientist
02-28-2014, 08:52 AM
True,

But if we toss out the pictures and hype, Assos product quality is hands down better.

i've seen you type this before.

who's "hands" are down? rapha's bibs are every bit as good, if not better made than assos, any day of the week. some of the other essentials like the softshell jacket and softshell vest are top tier products too, and will stand up against assos quality, without question.

i concur that some of the rapha product line is a total joke, but that actual core riding gear is very good, and i've got rapha stuff that has held up to far more hours than assos.

Fixed
02-28-2014, 08:52 AM
It is a great coffee shop
It is a local club house ,great deal on coffee ,snacks ,cycling books ,jazz music playing
Beautiful sales people .young attractive friendly girls serving the coffee and food .
races on the big screen on all the time .. Oh yeah ....they sell some pretty nice clothes there too
Cheers

bcroslin
02-28-2014, 08:56 AM
The guy on the right doesn't have a beard. not sure how Rapha missed that.

I wonder if those espressos were poured from a Rapha branded machine?

http://luxurylaunches.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Rocket-Espresso-for-Rapha-1.jpg

sandyrs
02-28-2014, 09:00 AM
I think it's really funny that Rapha markets their products with these rail-thin guys in their ads, yet my not-that-skinny 6'5" frame only takes up about 3/4 of the volume of one of their "classic" jerseys in size L (which I got as part of a club membership and would not pay the full price of $210 for despite it being very nicely made)!

Oh, and the jersey came with matching arm warmers that fall down my arms because they're so loose.

I've heard the Pro Team stuff is a different story, though.

Birddog
02-28-2014, 09:00 AM
It's odd, I have a lot of Rapha stuff, almost all purchased on sale. I can only think of one item (a cap) that was not a damn fine product and it was inexpensive. My other Rapha caps and my Rapha bibs are the best I've ever had and that includes Assos. Their Sportwool jerseys are only good for 9 mos in this part of the USA, but they are the best thought out jerseys on the market IMO. I use the pump pocket and the little zipper pocket most all the time.

I'm nearing my late 60's, have no tats and I'm far from tall and skinny. My arms show evidence of many 12 oz curls, and so does my gut. IOW, those guys are at polar opposites to my image and I don't even want to look like them. I don't read too much into the poses, but I do like a lot of their outside photography and street scenes. None of that however, entices me to buy their product, but the product function does. They have apparently "nailed it' though, as they seem to generate a lot of chatter both good and bad.

I also know a few dudes around here that wear Rapha, and we're all friendly, much more so than the local club kitted, tatted up, skinny guy, racer boys that are trying to Cat up to "3".

witcombusa
02-28-2014, 09:01 AM
Can't find anything to like about Rapha...

sandyrs
02-28-2014, 09:03 AM
I should note that I'm not trying to disparage people who wear Rapha or their products- the jersey is very nicely manufactured and the fabric is great on the arm warmers. I've considered getting a pair of their winter gloves because they seem nicely modular and are frankly beautiful to look at. I just think it's funny how their sizing so poorly matches up with their marketing.

Fixed
02-28-2014, 09:04 AM
[QUOTE=AngryScientist;1506747]i've seen you type this before.

who's "hands" are down? rapha's bibs are every bit as good, if not better made than assos, any day of the week. some of the other essentials like the softshell jacket and softshell vest are top tier products too, and will stand up against assos quality, without question.

+ 1
I have both kits ...IMHO they are both great , but for Me rapha is better if something happens to a garment they will send off for repair ...for free they repaired my winter jacket in less than a week .

christian
02-28-2014, 09:06 AM
IMHO they are both great , but for Me rapha is better if something happens to a garment they will send off for repair ...for free they repaired my winter jacket in less than a week .

Assos have a free repair service as well. I shipped off a pair of knickers to them in the spring. Came back in under two weeks.

benb
02-28-2014, 09:07 AM

What if you're also wearing Rapha? This picture implies 2 guys wearing Rapha will turn their noses up at each other.

What if you're wearing Assos? Will the Rapha guy talk to you?

What if you're like me and you have Assos shorts but your outfit is worth more than your bike? (Pretty sure it is, as I took a massive step down to a less expensive bike this year)

I don't have any Rapha gear.. I have 2x pair of Assos bibs, they are so good that i never wear my other bibs anymore, and they clearly last a lot longer than the cheaper stuff I've had. if Rapha is that good I might pay for some of it. Durability is one reason IMO to pay for the more expensive gear, but only if it is actually more durable...

Same thing when I was motorcycling. I had a $500 outfit from Joe Rocket when I started. It was trash after 10K miles. The $2000 Dainese outfit I replaced it with looked brand new after like 25K miles.

christian
02-28-2014, 09:11 AM
Their Sportwool jerseys are only good for 9 mos in this part of the USA, but they are the best thought out jerseys on the market IMO. I use the pump pocket and the little zipper pocket most all the time. I owned a club jersey and a classic jersey (both subsequently sold here). I'd liken the moisture transfer of the club jersey to the equivalent of wearing three cotton t shirts. The hand of the fabric is unbeatable - really, really nice. But as technical wear, I found them really disappointing - poor moisture transfer, retained water, heavy. And the club jersey was about as wide as it was long... (I did like the pump pocket.)

I'd much rather be riding in Castelli or Assos -- the stuff just works for riding bike. Admittedly, I think pudgy little me in a Sanremo speedsuit would probably be denied service in every coffee joint in every state!

Fixed
02-28-2014, 09:13 AM
Assos have a free repair service as well. I shipped off a pair of knickers to them in the spring. Came back in under two weeks.

I live right next door so I may be biased but I know this
The rapha wind jacket is totally bad ass light and warm
Cheers

cfox
02-28-2014, 09:21 AM

guy all the way on the right is Ben Lieberson. Super nice guy, good racer, very, very strong rider. Guy on the left is Tom Southam (I think, tough with the hipster beard) is a recently retired long time pro. Say what you will about Rapha, but there perfectly coiffed models are always serious riders.

sparky33
02-28-2014, 09:24 AM
I don't generally sip espresso and admire my facial hair and tattoos after a ride. Though showing a busy tired guy trying to fit in a ride before rushing to a 4yo kids' birthday party probably wouldn't sell more gear.

bobswire
02-28-2014, 09:24 AM
Rapha makes some of the best looking clean designed cycling wear for guys who want comfort but don't want "look at me speed racer" team type lycra kits.
IMO

sparky33
02-28-2014, 09:25 AM
Rapha makes some of the best looking clean designed cycling wear for guys who want comfort but don't want "look at me speed racer" team type lycra kits.
IMO
This^

oldpotatoe
02-28-2014, 09:35 AM
i've seen you type this before.

i concur that some of the rapha product line is a total joke, but that actual core riding gear is very good, and i've got rapha stuff that has held up to far more hours than assos.

Charles has a bigger problem with Rapha than I do with SRAM....

Vientomas
02-28-2014, 09:38 AM
What's the over-under on this thread going to 7 pages?

Ti Designs
02-28-2014, 09:55 AM
I think it's really funny that Rapha markets their products with these rail-thin guys in their ads, yet my not-that-skinny 6'5" frame only takes up about 3/4 of the volume of one of their "classic" jerseys in size L

The trick is to sell the image while making stuff to fit your target market. I have the same issue with most cycling clothing - it's not really cut for a cyclist's shape. My favorite example of this is the largest size of Assos tights which bear the designation for oversized trucks in europe. Two years ago Pearl Izumi added 4" to the diameter of their tights - when did I gain 40 pounds? So, while the image of a sleek and fast cyclist may be what you see in the adds, it's far from the center of the bell curve.

I finally have jerseys and a winter jacket with my own shop's logo that fit me - took me 28 (and more than a few fat jokes directed at our clothing buyers) to get them...

benb
02-28-2014, 09:57 AM
I finally have jerseys and a winter jacket with my own shop's logo that fit me - took me 28 (and more than a few fat jokes directed at our clothing buyers) to get them...

28 years?

Bostic
02-28-2014, 10:08 AM
My iPhone alarm went off this morning and I checked my hotmail. This is their most uppity ad yet, and they have had some doozies. Part of me absolutely loves it just for how over the top it is. The other part wants to rip off the blue cap, dump the contents (all three sips worth) over the guys head then smack him upside the head with that tea cup. I'm sure they are all nice people in real life.

Having said that.. My wife and I both have Rapha gear though we bought all of it on sale. She loves the bibs and bib knickers but wouldn't pay full price. For me, the Gilet is my favorite piece of cycling apparel. The bibs and bib knickers are well made and have lasted longer than the Sugoi RS I also wear.

LegendRider
02-28-2014, 10:18 AM
If that were a picture of me and my riding friends, it would be taken at a Waffle House and there would be no beards or tattoos.

zmudshark
02-28-2014, 10:20 AM
Good thing it's not in Arizona.

https://scontent-a-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/t1/1618473_10203068836903988_1100922983_n.jpg

avalonracing
02-28-2014, 10:25 AM
In a way, it is a pretty realistic cycling shot. It's like the guy in the center is trying to be the tiniest bit polite to his annoying, talkative friend on his left and the guy on the left side of the frame is just pretending that he doesn't even know the chatty fellow that his buddy invited on the ride.

I've known a number of people that while they are fine to ride with, man, they are quite a bore when the wheels stop turning.

Steve in SLO
02-28-2014, 10:27 AM
If that were a picture of me and my riding friends, it would be taken at a Waffle House and there would be no beards or tattoos.

...and that is why there is no picture of you:beer:

firerescuefin
02-28-2014, 10:31 AM
I'm imagining dudes like me with 32-33 waists, 44 shoulders…and an actual @ss do not look good in (or might not even fit in) Rapha…Yes/No?

bobswire
02-28-2014, 10:34 AM
I swear y'all seek out these pictures.
I just go to rapha.cc, click sales, click clearance, look for medium, buy, wait for shipping, wear and enjoy.

I did as you suggested but I still can't afford it. :(

I just have to continue to wear my normal city slicker wear.

Circa 1972
http://i62.tinypic.com/14vh1f4.jpg

tiretrax
02-28-2014, 10:35 AM
I agree with AS - Rapha bibs are fantastic. I won't ride a century in anything else. I have some Assos bibs, and while they are nice, I prefer the Rapha. The marketing with the tatted up guys doesn't appeal to me, but they're well produced.

I am surprised that Rapha would do well in Boulder. From what I know of it, which isn't much, I thought cut off khakis and flannel shirts would be the rage.

Castelli is lower key in their marketing - but just as epic. They use great photographers and pro riders to shoot their products in beautiful settings - Ashley and Jared Gruber and Manual for Speed and Peter Stetina and Nicholas Roche, among others. They just don't slam it in your face the way Rapha does.

tiretrax
02-28-2014, 10:37 AM
I'm imagining dudes like me with 32-33 waists, 44 shoulders…and an actual @ss do not look in Rapha…Yes/No?

It's made for you, actually, especially the pro line.

cfox
02-28-2014, 10:43 AM
I'm imagining dudes like me with 32-33 waists, 44 shoulders…and an actual @ss do not look good in (or might not even fit in) Rapha…Yes/No?

sorry, not just Rapha, you'll look fat in any brand (joking). Cycling clothes, especially when you're on the bike, make you appear fatter/bigger than you actually are. Peter Sagan looks like a muscular bull on his bike but like a skinny teenage boy in street clothes. To look skinny in cycling kit, you have to be grossly skinny in the real life.

firerescuefin
02-28-2014, 10:46 AM
sorry, not just Rapha, you'll look fat in any brand (joking). Cycling clothes, especially when you're on the bike, make you appear fatter/bigger than you actually are. Peter Sagan looks like a muscular bull on his bike but like a skinny teenage boy in street clothes. To look skinny in cycling kit, you have to be grossly skinny in the real life.

I have quite a few cycling kits (Assos, Giordana, Pactimo, PI)…some brands are better than others with regard to fit for real sized folks. Was curious about Rapha.

cfox
02-28-2014, 10:54 AM
I have quite a few cycling kits (Assos, Giordana, Pactimo, PI)…some brands are better than others with regard to fit for real sized folks. Was curious about Rapha.

I think their Pro Team tops might be a bit narrow for you, but everything else would fit fine. Castelli is the one that befuddles me. I'm 5'10 and weigh 145-150, and I can barely squeeze into a Large Castelli bib.

bcroslin
02-28-2014, 11:05 AM
I was on a plane last year flying to Switzerland with a bunch of guys going to dealer camp at BMC and one of them had on a shirt that said Ripoff in the same font as Rapha. I'm still kicking myself for not asking him where he picked it up.

raygunner
02-28-2014, 11:16 AM
I used to be a rapid Rapha fan. I had numerous jerseys and other apparel but as of late I haven't really been interested. I do want one item from them at the current time but that's about it.

I'm not sure what shifted my consumer preference.

But something changed after I visited their "boutique" in San Fran a few years ago. It was just too slick. So as much as I love there image and branding, at least via the computer, in person image/branding turned me off. I'm not sure if that makes sense but that's my two cents.

Ti Designs
02-28-2014, 11:30 AM
28 years?

Yeh, 28 years. Finding cyclist shaped cycling clothing is knida like finding coffee flavored coffee...

saab2000
02-28-2014, 11:34 AM
Does Aston Martin inspire the same level of suspicion and negativity in the automobile forum world? Include "Rapha" in the title and it's guaranteed to go on for pages about how it's not that great, not worth the price, their marketing is totally over the top, etc.

Last time I checked the United States is still a free country and while NSA is tracking your Rapha purchases, you are still allowed to make them. Or not.

Choice is good.

I want Rapha. And I want an Aston Martin. Nobody else needs to want those things. There are other cars available and other bike clothes.

avalonracing
02-28-2014, 11:42 AM
I was on a plane last year flying to Switzerland with a bunch of guys going to dealer camp at BMC and one of them had on a shirt that said Ripoff in the same font as Rapha. I'm still kicking myself for not asking him where he picked it up.

I'm not into logo T's but THAT I would wear. Find them and let me know!

CunegoFan
02-28-2014, 11:42 AM
Does Aston Martin inspire the same level of suspicion and negativity in the automobile forum world? Include "Rapha" in the title and it's guaranteed to go on for pages about how it's not that great, not worth the price, their marketing is totally over the top, etc.

Last time I checked the United States is still a free country and while NSA is tracking your Rapha purchases, you are still allowed to make them. Or not.

Part of that freedom is freedom to criticize and laugh at ridiculous advertising.

saab2000
02-28-2014, 11:44 AM
Part of that freedom is freedom to criticize and laugh at ridiculous advertising.

True that.... I actually love their marketing and own some of their stuff. But I also own other things.

I guess I like the simplicity of their designs and the colors are nice. But to each their own. It's all good.

Fixed
02-28-2014, 11:45 AM
Saab = James Bond
Cool
Cheers

saab2000
02-28-2014, 11:46 AM
Saab = James Bond
Cool
Cheers

I own Mr. Fixed's old Pacenti. We are joined forever in our bike tastes.

christian
02-28-2014, 11:52 AM
I think their Pro Team tops might be a bit narrow for you, but everything else would fit fine. Castelli is the one that befuddles me. I'm 5'10 and weigh 145-150, and I can barely squeeze into a Large Castelli bib.What? I'm 5'11, 165 on a good day and Castelli Large is perfect. Too much Donkey Sauce and Camaros?

christian
02-28-2014, 11:53 AM
Though showing a busy tired guy trying to fit in a ride before rushing to a 4yo kids' birthday party probably wouldn't sell more gear.It's like you live inside my head, mang!

leooooo
02-28-2014, 12:12 PM
I did as you suggested but I still can't afford it. :(]

I wasnt even referring to price and I'm sure the OP wasn't either.

Was making the point that it is VERY easy to avoid the dramatically posed photos that most people here dislike.

Rapha's website is design well enough that one can easily guide themselves to the sales area and not get lost in the process, unless they CHOOSE to. I buy alot of Rapha and Assos gear but see waaaay more Rapha epic pics and the Assos girl pics here than at their respective websites

BumbleBeeDave
02-28-2014, 12:28 PM
What's the over-under on this thread going to 7 pages?

That's a sucker bet! Thread is five hours old and already five pages.

I'm sure Rapha does make some good items, but over-the-top pretentious really turns me off. These guys are trying WAY too hard to look and act "cool."

And people say my zebra stripes look ridiculous! . . . :rolleyes:

BBD

zennmotion
02-28-2014, 12:37 PM
this is ridiculous...I know it's an ad, setup for the picture...maybe drinkin some Stella, rather than little coffees..all with their hats on...

I think the dude in black and white just got busted- that tanline on his arm doesn't look like he wears Rapha when the camera's not looking.

And here's a dancing banana :banana: to establish Rapha's cultural accessibility to my worldview. I'm so not worthy. Like putting smiley faces on your letter to your Congress Representative.

El Chaba
02-28-2014, 12:41 PM
I think that the high point of Rapha's phoniness (and that is a rather lofty elevation) is their sponsorship of Team Sky with clothing....made by Nalini/Moa Sport....

EDS
02-28-2014, 12:45 PM
Just an observation, but it seems that in every single one of these Rapha threads every person that owns some Rapha kit notes that they purchased it on sale.

As such, I will say that the Rapha mussette bag and soap I have, which were giveaways from the Rapha NYC store, are fine quality - though I have not used the soap yet (but my three year old daughter does think it smells nice).

FlashUNC
02-28-2014, 12:45 PM
I think that the high point of Rapha's phoniness (and that is a rather lofty elevation) is their sponsorship of Team Sky with clothing....made by Nalini/Moa Sport....

Their shorts and other bits (tights, knickers, etc) have been made by Nalini since day 1. Ain't exactly a state secret...

Mikej
02-28-2014, 01:05 PM
I did as you suggested but I still can't afford it. :(

I just have to continue to wear my normal city slicker wear.

Circa 1972
http://i62.tinypic.com/14vh1f4.jpg

Dude, I didnt know you were in A Clockwork Orange...

cdn_bacon
02-28-2014, 01:16 PM
say what you will...

this is free today.

http://pages.rapha.cc/stories/the-greatest-show-on-earth

HAHAHAHAH how nerve wracking is that 50-60MPH downhill and having to listen to the screeching tires of the team cars behind you?!?!?!

saab2000
02-28-2014, 01:19 PM
say what you will...

this is free today.

http://pages.rapha.cc/stories/the-greatest-show-on-earth

Ha! Free in my house every day! I kid but this great cycling film for those who haven't seen it.

Definitely (most definitely) worth watching. Right up there with Stars & Watercarriers and A Sunday in Hell.

pdmtong
02-28-2014, 01:28 PM
C'mon people...you know you want that Eddy retro jersey. Seen it in person and oh yes it is pretty nice.
http://www.rapha.cc/us/en/shop/trade-team-jersey/product/TTJ02

so, if you folks aren't looking stylish in castelli, assos or rapha, do you prefer Pearl Izumi and their iconic cookie monster jersey?

fiamme red
02-28-2014, 01:41 PM
so, if you folks aren't looking stylish in castelli, assos or rapha, do you prefer Pearl Izumi and their iconic cookie monster jersey?Yes, or this:

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6049/6336951777_4c17e7d21c_z.jpg

SpokeValley
02-28-2014, 01:44 PM
Ahhh...

I just dropped my little coffee...

cfox
02-28-2014, 03:03 PM
What? I'm 5'11, 165 on a good day and Castelli Large is perfect. Too much Donkey Sauce and Camaros?

Any amount of donkey sauce is too much. I gotta lay off that stuff. I don't know, maybe I got a tj maxx special or something, but it was sausage time with those Castellis.

teleguy57
02-28-2014, 03:13 PM
Saab = James Bond
Cool
Cheers

Hmmm, never had made that connection, but now that you mention it when we were making our drinks from powders back in the day he did keep talking about liking them shaken, not stirred.... And he does bring a certain savoir-faire to things.

C'mon people...you know you want that Eddy retro jersey. Seen it in person and oh yes it is pretty nice.

Yes, I do. But at that price I'll keep wearing my 7-Eleven jersey that Andy signed for me last summer, my old school PDM jersey, and a few others that are in my cycling closet.

Mr. Squirrel
02-28-2014, 03:26 PM
these gents carry my nuts. nuk nuk nuk!

mr. squirrel

cash05458
02-28-2014, 03:32 PM
nice to see Mr. Squirrel chiming in...those Rapha jerseys are gonna shred easily on the pavement...and of course, tiny little cups to drink from...is there a video on this?

tiretrax
02-28-2014, 03:43 PM
Yes, or this:

I've wanted this for a while, but I haven't pulled the pin yet. The full kit with cap and socks is available here (along with some other humorous stuff):

http://www.elevengear.com/roadwear/poseur.html

Now that I have a Pegoretti, that may have to be my only kit.

Charles M
02-28-2014, 03:50 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697876365&stc=1&d=1393622793

these gents carry my nuts. nuk nuk nuk!

mr. squirrel

I see the picture and it kinda brings these guys to mind...

http://media.theiapolis.com/b000000/d4/hLC/i22VR/k4/l23OO/s6/t3/u1/wSG/y04/a-clockwork-orange.jpg?cdn=1393624211

Both are pretenders playing at an image, but the second guys were original and classic.

RudAwkning
02-28-2014, 04:19 PM
I see the picture and it kinda brings these guys to mind...

http://media.theiapolis.com/b000000/d4/hLC/i22VR/k4/l23OO/s6/t3/u1/wSG/y04/a-clockwork-orange.jpg?cdn=1393624211

Both are pretenders playing at an image, but the second guys were original and classic.

Your image is not popping up, so I can only assume that the photo you posted is of these guys...

http://marc.merlins.org/mirrors/stuntaz/

oldpotatoe
02-28-2014, 04:30 PM

BMC camp with a Ripoff t-shift-that's ironic...

From dealing with 2 broken frames and 'BMC'...yikes..

CunegoFan
02-28-2014, 04:33 PM
http://trickfist.com/trickfist/image/19/a-gallery-of-orange-colored-guidos-to-point-and-laugh-at-of-the-day.jpg

avalonracing
02-28-2014, 05:16 PM
http://trickfist.com/trickfist/image/19/a-gallery-of-orange-colored-guidos-to-point-and-laugh-at-of-the-day.jpg

This is actually the same three Rapha dudes without their "dirty bicycle hardman" makeup on.

Climb01742
02-28-2014, 05:30 PM
Nothing gets to 6 or 7 pages faster than Rapha threads.;)

Fiertetimestwo
02-28-2014, 07:06 PM
Yes, or this:

I have one of these jerseys and wore it (along with some Rapha bibs!) on January's Audax Alpine Classic Ride.

I thought it was very appropriate as I was passed on the hills by most everyone!

I made to the end though and had a really good day-and isn't that what it is all
about?

Md3000
02-28-2014, 07:21 PM

so, if you folks aren't looking stylish in castelli, assos or rapha, do you prefer Pearl Izumi and their iconic cookie monster jersey?

Why does it say Vleeseter ??? That means meat eater or carnivore, not Cannibal, which was eddy's nick name

cfox
02-28-2014, 07:22 PM
This is actually the same three Rapha dudes without their "dirty bicycle hardman" makeup on.

um, no. that's Assos Man on the right with the PBR tallboy, complete with the $450 cheezball Bono shades.

actually, CunegoFan, you googled "pictures of douchebags", didn't you?

PoppaWheelie
02-28-2014, 07:42 PM
I don't care what you guys say. I'm going to keep on drinking my coffee drinks from teenie pretentious cups.

bluesea
02-28-2014, 07:50 PM

I want but Christian already said their smartwool sucks, or is that the new " Christian" blend? :D Jonesing for merino.

pdmtong
02-28-2014, 07:53 PM
I want but Christian already said their smartwool sucks, or is that the new " Christian" blend? :D Jonesing for merino.

the only rapha that will work on the islands is pro team....everything else will feel like a garbage bag. this is your penalty for living on a rock.

7 pages....we did it! and, I did not defend the brand....

PS: keep calm and live pono!

jlwdm
02-28-2014, 07:55 PM
These Rapha threads are low points of this forum. Seems to be some jealousy of good bike riders, and whining about the same thing over and over again

I like some Rapha pieces and some Assos pieces, but I don't need to waste time on the ones I don't like. Most companies I buy things from have things I like and things I don't like. If I like something I buy it, I don't worry about the advertising.

Focus on the positive.

Jeff

bluesea
02-28-2014, 07:59 PM
the only rapha that will work on the islands is pro team....everything else will feel like a garbage bag. this is your penalty for living on a rock.

7 pages....we did it! and, I did not defend the brand....

PS: keep calm and live pono!

Hahaha, very appropriate PS.

Louis
02-28-2014, 08:04 PM
I wonder what Froome thinks of the SPF level on his latest Rapha jersey?

(before and after posted by his fiancee on Twitter)

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/multimedia/archive/00511/Froome_511066c.jpg

bcroslin
02-28-2014, 08:25 PM
http://drunkcyclist.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/relegate-shirt-410x550.jpg

Getting close to the "Ripoff" shirt. It's become my mission to figure out who made it.

bluesea
02-28-2014, 08:28 PM
^the pain! (Kyle Maclachlan in Dune)

Btw, if I wear between a L and XL Santini, which Sky coldblack jersey should I order? These are stocked in the U.S. right, so no problem returning/exchanging?

I'll wait for Cedar for my merino.

pdmtong
02-28-2014, 08:45 PM
^the pain! (Kyle Maclachlan in Dune)

Btw, if I wear between a L and XL Santini, which Sky coldblack jersey should I order? These are stocked in the U.S. right, so no problem returning/exchanging?

I'll wait for Cedar for my merino.

Cedar is excellent but where you live you will overheat. I cannot wear Rapha merino from June- september in the Bay Area and where you are its warmer and more humid

avalonracing
02-28-2014, 10:27 PM
Getting close to the "Ripoff" shirt. It's become my mission to figure out who made it.

I found that in my search too. Keep trying!

Elefantino
02-28-2014, 11:12 PM
I want this to go eight pages.

I have the over.

:banana:

BobbyJones
02-28-2014, 11:25 PM
Why does it say Vleeseter ??? That means meat eater or carnivore, not Cannibal, which was eddy's nick name

I'm surprised it doesn't it say "sucker" in Dutch.

Louis
02-28-2014, 11:30 PM
I want this to go eight pages.

We all know that Rapha is mostly for poseurs, but really bugs me is the marketing. They have to decide: is it for Belgian hard-men, or effete latte sippers with $245 African Hair Sheep leather "town" gloves? They can't have it both ways.

http://dyzmn8020x6cd.cloudfront.net/sys-master/products/h2d/h58/8798255153182/LTG04-AW13-Leather-Town-Gloves-jakestangel_raphaAW13_28.jpg_MEDIUM

Black Dog
03-01-2014, 08:57 AM
We all know that Rapha is mostly for poseurs, but really bugs me is the marketing. They have to decide: is it for Belgian hard-men, or effete latte sippers with $245 African Hair Sheep leather "town" gloves? They can't have it both ways.

Oh but they do want to both ways. They will not be happy until they get this guy:http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-APe2T1pcbwI/T8oypBfp4BI/AAAAAAAAAFA/KTRS7GuSgHA/s1600/kelly.jpg

in an outfit like this:http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/236x/8c/70/2d/8c702dcb6fcaeab46bcc331014d2a453.jpg

Allow myself to plagiarize myself from one of the previous Rapha Threads:

Rapha is a marketing monster and there is nothing really wrong with that unless you do not like the message they market. That is what gets stuck in most peoples craw. Personally I find the black and white epic hard-man message too much and like a lot of good marketing it creates cults. Their stuff, while being very good is pushed as exclusive through message and price (which is part of the marketing).

However, there is no limited supply of Rapha gear. There are no old world artisans with callused hands that sew the items with hand drawn Yak sinew in an old black and white factory in the hills of the Ardennes carefully making one pair of shorts a week. They are mass produced in an "epic sweat shop" and they could ramp up production by an order of magnitude in a month or two if needed. Even Epic® is made in a factory and shipped in volume in black and pink barrels with special edition Epic® in Robins Egg Blue barrels.

jemoryl
03-01-2014, 10:02 AM
I was curious about the Rapha demitasse cups; they claim they are designed in cooperation with Intelligentsia Coffee and a design firm, NotNeutral. Over at the Intelligentsia site, what appears to be a similar cup and saucer goes for $12, while a pair from Rapha costs $65.

I'm somehow getting through life with my $3 espresso cups from Portugal, which are, while not ergonomically designed to balance effortlessly in my hand, actually very nice.

avalonracing
03-01-2014, 10:36 AM
I was curious about the Rapha demitasse cups; they claim they are designed in cooperation with Intelligentsia Coffee and a design firm, NotNeutral. Over at the Intelligentsia site, what appears to be a similar cup and saucer goes for $12, while a pair from Rapha costs $65.

I'm somehow getting through life with my $3 espresso cups from Portugal, which are, while not ergonomically designed to balance effortlessly in my hand, actually very nice.

But dude... Rapha... The cup says Rapha on it! That's gotta be worth at least $60 extra.

bluesea
03-01-2014, 11:22 AM
Cedar is excellent but where you live you will overheat. I cannot wear Rapha merino from June- september in the Bay Area and where you are its warmer and more humid

Thanks, I needed that. :)

pdmtong
03-01-2014, 11:44 AM
Thanks, I needed that. :)

Then again it's all temperature relative. When I went to grad school in Chicago I got used to minus zero temps. Go home to Bay Area and wearing tee shirts when others are in down jackets in the 40s. So that's to say maybe you can wear merino there. Since it just depends on relevant temps. The cedar piece is really excellent. I had one but returned it only because it was duplicitous weight wise with my Rapha pieces and for pure short sleeve use I would want something lighter.

Of course where you are and ride affects jersey too. It's not all 85d beach weather I get that. You get overcast and a 15-20d temp drop you want a warmer jersey. The cedar may do that for you

beeatnik
03-01-2014, 04:19 PM
guy all the way on the right is Ben Lieberson. Super nice guy, good racer, very, very strong rider. Guy on the left is Tom Southam (I think, tough with the hipster beard) is a recently retired long time pro. Say what you will about Rapha, but there perfectly coiffed models are always serious riders.

Ben is an awesome dude and strong rider (was on one of the more serious teams out here before he became a Continental rider). Used to see him on all the local training rides. Super friendly dude, zero pretense. He digs classic race bikes as much as anyone around here.

There's another Rapha Continental rider who's dating a movie/tv star. His look gets clowned often (that should be enough to let you know whom I'm talkin bout). Anyway, he also comes across as a nice dude, humble and introverted even.

Anyhoo, haven't read the last two pages, but I think Raphas should feature this dude drinking espresso from a tiny pink-anodized, Baum-made titanium thimble:

http://instagram.com/tmkoo1

pdmtong
03-01-2014, 06:07 PM
Coming in April
Il pirata

cfox
03-01-2014, 06:36 PM
If Rapha makes your head hurt, this might make it explode:

http://www.deuxnorth.com/

dudes going on bikes rides, taking 1000 pics/mile, and creating a "brand" out of it. still don't get how a bike ride is a "brand" (so tired of that word in relation to bike biz). I'm sure they're great guys, riders, the whole deal, but this "deux north" schtick is next level stuff. way too obvious: douchenorth

Lovetoclimb
03-01-2014, 07:02 PM

You must encounter some seriously egotistical cyclists! I wear primarily Rapha, make it a point to wave at EVERY person riding a bike and most yoggers, dog walkers, old ladies tending their lawns, etc. Perhaps because I am usually quite happy to be riding a bike in very nice comfortable kit, it just seems right to keep the good vibes flowing. Of course one proper asshole of a driver can ruin it all.

Lovetoclimb
03-01-2014, 07:03 PM
also of note, 8 pages, HERE. WE. GO!

Lovetoclimb
03-01-2014, 07:12 PM

Not sure if you know much about who they use in their ads, but it is guys who most likely log more miles per year than anyone on this forum. The far left (B&W kit) is Tom Southam, a rather accomplished retired pro. In this most recent advert campaign they also used an up and coming Junior racer. Phil Deeker has also been in most of their ads since the early years. His regular role is riding PBP style races as well as leading the Cent Cols challenges, the EPICest of fondos.

spiderman
03-01-2014, 07:17 PM
This is exactly the way I serve it up at my house...
...they are just promoting the spidey vibe!
Who could blame them?!?

beeatnik
03-01-2014, 07:24 PM
Lucky are the dudes who wear Raphas without knowing other dudes who wear Raphas.

pbarry
03-01-2014, 07:48 PM
^^ Good one.

I don't understand all the fuss about r. We all wore wool back in the day, and it wasn't a lifestyle choice, it was the only thing available.
Ask Eddy..

AgilisMerlin
03-01-2014, 08:01 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/food/team_sky_eating.jpg

oops, not

Black Dog
03-01-2014, 08:04 PM
Not sure if you know much about who they use in their ads, but it is guys who most likely log more miles per year than anyone on this forum. The far left (B&W kit) is Tom Southam, a rather accomplished retired pro. In this most recent advert campaign they also used an up and coming Junior racer. Phil Deeker has also been in most of their ads since the early years. His regular role is riding PBP style races as well as leading the Cent Cols challenges, the EPICest of fondos.

This is a common argument. The guys in the ads are good riders, they are nice. So what? They are still being used as marketing tools. It does not make Rapha any more genuine or "epic". Rapha carefully chooses them because they are who they are to push the image, sell the dream. It works because so many people defend Rapha and its models because of their background. Being a corporate shill is being a corporate shill regardless of who you are. Everything they (Rapha) do is carefully thought out to the last detail and is part of the marketing. The company is not a bunch of riders having a good time and living some epic cycling lifestyle. I am not pooping on what they do, just trying to point it out. This is what marketing companies do, Rapha included.

pbarry
03-01-2014, 08:22 PM
This is a common argument. The guys in the ads are good riders, they are nice. So what? They are still being used as marketing tools. It does not make Rapha any more genuine or "epic". Rapha carefully chooses them because they are who they are to push the image, sell the dream. It works because so many people defend Rapha and its models because of their background. Being a corporate shill is being a corporate shill regardless of who you are. Everything they (Rapha) do is carefully thought out to the last detail and is part of the marketing. The company is not a bunch of riders having a good time and living some epic cycling lifestyle. I am not pooping on what they do, just trying to point it out. This is what marketing companies do, Rapha included.

Yes!

It's almost as interesting to watch the changes in advertising techniques by manufactures/marketers as it is to watch morphing political maneuvers by those in government/those who want to be members of the government.

Oh, wait, both vocations are trying to sell us something. :eek:

gdw
03-01-2014, 08:40 PM
So which is worse....Rapha's coffee drinkers picture or Brandt-Sorenson's Elmer Fudd Paul Bunyon photo shoot?

Methinks the dudes in the woods in their bespoke clothing set a new low for the cycling apparel industry.

avalonracing
03-01-2014, 08:44 PM
also of note, 8 pages, HERE. WE. GO!

Still shorter than the Weed thread. Now if Rapha starts selling "Bespoke Epic Bud" it's going to get crazy.

pbarry
03-01-2014, 08:48 PM
sorry, r is definitely not hip enough to co-opt the mj crowd..

CunegoFan
03-01-2014, 08:51 PM
So which is worse....Rapha's coffee drinkers picture or Brandt-Sorenson's Elmer Fudd Paul Bunyon photo shoot?

Methinks the dudes in the woods in their bespoke clothing set a new low for the cycling apparel industry.

If those two guys would have had access to Rapha's cynical marketing plan then they would have grown hipster beards and gotten more tattoos than the seventh fleet. Nothing says rebel like dressing up according to marketing data.

chasea
03-01-2014, 08:57 PM
Nine pages on a product photo.

Keep it up, fellas.

beeatnik
03-01-2014, 10:30 PM
Chase, you work for Raphas, right? Can you hook me up with some cashmere socks at a discount. Real cheap, maybe 40 bucks or less?

Btw, where's a good bar in Greenpoint with cheap Olympia beer? Maybe under 8 bucks?

AgilisMerlin
03-01-2014, 10:46 PM
http://oldbonemachine.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/tumblr_mi6ai9kycv1rp4u2fo1_500.jpg

cfox
03-02-2014, 05:19 AM

No one was making an argument for Rapha because their models are good riders, it was a direct response to the implication/accusation (early in the thread) that the guys in the ads aren't "real" riders.

fuzzalow
03-02-2014, 06:17 AM
It is just clothing. All the marketing and aspirational imagery does is get you to try the product. In fairness to Rapha, it is not like they are simply marketing handbags and gladrags - the clothing also has to work which sets the bar higher than simple schmatta. If the product can't deliver on some level then this conversation never happens.

Yeah, yeah, it's winter for some here. Rag on the photo shoots, say agin "lotsa money for dat, ha ha dos dumases!" There is comfort in the repetition and the assurance that surely as the sun will rise there will be another Rapha campaign to twaddle upon, to revel in the smugness of the hoi polloi.

oldpotatoe
03-02-2014, 07:24 AM
It is just clothing. All the marketing and aspirational imagery does is get you to try the product. In fairness to Rapha, it is not like they are simply marketing handbags and gladrags - the clothing also has to work which sets the bar higher than simple schmatta. If the product can't deliver on some level then this conversation never happens.

Yeah, yeah, it's winter for some here. Rag on the photo shoots, say agin "lotsa money for dat, ha ha dos dumases!" There is comfort in the repetition and the assurance that surely as the sun will rise there will be another Rapha campaign to twaddle upon, to revel in the smugness of the hoi polloi.

Agree and since I started this thread..Rapha reminds me of Apple..they have ads that tell how cool the ipad is..samsung has ads slamming Apple..which is an indirect ad for Apple..really dumb...makes Apple the 'standard, which they are.

Rapha does these 'epic' spreads and the other clothing makers whine about their stuff, 'is as good as Rapha or better'..makes Rapha the target but also puts them at the pinnacle..dumb on them, good for Rapha and Apple.

PQJ
03-02-2014, 07:41 AM
Can we, please, all agree, that: Rapha has won the war. Battle after battle gets fought over ads, copy, hipsters, poseurs, products, and China, and the only player left standing - always - is Rapha.

And now, as I feel the stirrings of a moka pot expressed cup of coffee, swilled from an effete little cup proudly proclaiming its Italian heritage, stirring in my belly, with my Rapha knickers gently caressing my just shaved legs (24 hrs, if we're being honest), and a not quite 100% Rapha merino base layer similarly caressing my not-quite-as-silken-smooth upper torso, I'm about to swing my leg over my bespoke steel stead to enjoy the epically crisp 50 degree sunshine that awaits me out yonder. And to lay a severe beat down on the old guy in full winter regalia, complete with day glo yellow wind vest / parachute launch assister, I'm likely to see out riding his Trek.

I wish you all a similarly blessed - and no doubt epic - Sunday.

Lovetoclimb
03-02-2014, 08:14 AM
Can we, please, all agree, that: Rapha has won the war. Battle after battle gets fought over ads, copy, hipsters, poseurs, products, and China, and the only player left standing - always - is Rapha.

And now, as I feel the stirrings of a moka pot expressed cup of coffee, swilled from an effete little cup proudly proclaiming its Italian heritage, stirring in my belly, with my Rapha knickers gently caressing my just shaved legs (24 hrs, if we're being honest), and a not quite 100% Rapha merino base layer similarly caressing my not-quite-as-silken-smooth upper torso, I'm about to swing my leg over my bespoke steel stead to enjoy the epically crisp 50 degree sunshine that awaits me out yonder. And to lay a severe beat down on the old guy in full winter regalia, complete with day glo yellow wind vest / parachute launch assister, I'm likely to see out riding his Trek.

I wish you all a similarly blessed - and no doubt epic - Sunday.

Could you please document your epic experience with somewhere between 25-50 pictures?

JAGI410
03-02-2014, 09:07 AM
Could you please document your epic experience with somewhere between 25-50 pictures?

We'll also need the Strava link.

CunegoFan
03-02-2014, 09:38 AM

They need to be in black and white with no helmet and a scraggly beard for best effect.

bobswire
03-02-2014, 10:20 AM
Style and image needs to be relevant to its day.

http://i62.tinypic.com/33dxls3.jpg

avalonracing
03-02-2014, 12:17 PM
Can we, please, all agree, that: Rapha has won the war.

NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL NO!

chasea
03-02-2014, 12:33 PM
Chase, you work for Raphas, right? Can you hook me up with some cashmere socks at a discount. Real cheap, maybe 40 bucks or less?

Btw, where's a good bar in Greenpoint with cheap Olympia beer? Maybe under 8 bucks?

Your sarcasm is so Williamsburg 2008.

Who are you, internet person?

beeatnik
03-02-2014, 12:46 PM
Haha, my friends moved to Bushwick in 03 so my material is dated. Dood, be glad I didn't hit you with an adult kickball joke.

http://farm2.staticflickr.com/1003/1111252225_90905848bc_z.jpg

PQJ
03-02-2014, 01:01 PM
Sorry guys (and gals). My camera isn't as epic as my day. Film only, and I wasted my one shot trying to snap the mustache of the guy fully kitted in Assos, sans helmet, on his Colango, as he dropped my ass on a perfectly flat, wind-free stretch of fresh asphalt. As he whizzed by and I snapped his ass instead, my first and only thought was "epic."

To appease all of you, here's a pic from yesterday's ride. More ass, sorry. For the Rapha haters, you'll be glad there's nary a Rapha logo in sight. Hopefully you don't hate Assos as much. Yesterday's ride was equally epic, by the way.

torelli
03-03-2014, 04:08 PM
I guess I underestimated the Rapha hate here. Yeah their ads and website can be pretentiousness at times but the bottom line is the clothing is top notch. I have bib shorts,jerseys, base layers and socks, caps and a winter collar and all of them are excellent especially the bib shorts which after four years of regular use have held up fine.

Bottom line I love the look of the jerseys, and overall understated look of their clothes. Sure some of their casual wear comes can come be a bit too much. Jeez all this over ads and the "tone and attitude" they imply. And no I'm not in any way a snob, I wave at everyone that I pass and will talk to someone I don't know.