PDA

View Full Version : Strade Bianche 2014

jpw
02-27-2014, 08:10 AM
It's getting closer;

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/dirt-roads-new-start-town-2014-strade-bianche-115563

I'm hoping for some good live coverage of the second half of the race over the web. Fingers crossed for that.

Mr. Pink
02-27-2014, 08:50 AM
What size tires do these guys race on in this race? Any body know?

jpw
03-06-2014, 04:08 AM
a nice taster in Pez;

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/page/latest-news/?id=121152

no mention of tire sizes.

nice to see an ex pro not riding a carbon frame.

Fixed
03-06-2014, 07:25 AM
25-28
I would think
Cheers

azrider
03-06-2014, 09:47 AM
http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/page/latest-news/?id=85857

"For the tyres we had a choice of 25mm or 27mm – I rode 25mm, that’s what I always ride in Belgium if there are cobble stones. For me they’re the best, they give you more grip – especially in the corners. For pressure, we ride a little bit less, like in Flanders or Roubaix – again to give you grip. For the gears I rode my normal ratios but there are some steep climbs and some guys were on 27s.

But for me, I have enough power so I used 25."

teleguy57
03-06-2014, 10:20 AM
More info on 2013 equipment here (http://www.roadbikeaction.com/ARCHIVE-TECH--FEATURES/content/67/6453/Being-There-Strade-Bianche,-Part-2.html). Looks like mostly 25mm tubulars.

austex
03-06-2014, 11:41 AM
Why aren't these guys riding niche-market "gravel grinders"? I'm sure you can't win :no: without 32-40mm tires, disc brakes and relaxed frame angles for comfort on the rough stuff...:bike:

jpw
03-06-2014, 12:17 PM
was that Passoni really his personal bike, or a bit of a substitution for the article?

oldpotatoe
03-06-2014, 12:40 PM
Why aren't these guys riding niche-market "gravel grinders"? I'm sure you can't win :no: without 32-40mm tires, disc brakes and relaxed frame angles for comfort on the rough stuff...:bike:

And a front rack!!!

Dustin
03-06-2014, 01:40 PM
If all dirt roads were as smooth as strade bianche . . .

But ya'll are welcome to bring
Your 25s to sample the lovely fireroads we have in these parts.

rnhood
03-06-2014, 01:42 PM
Looks like smooth dirt. Are there any cobbles stones there? Maybe it will rain to add some excitement.

Look585
03-06-2014, 02:41 PM
No cobbles. Steep pitches, wicked crosswinds, and some bad washboard/pothole/rutted sections.

MattTuck
03-06-2014, 02:44 PM
No cobbles. Steep pitches, wicked crosswinds, and some bad washboard/pothole/rutted sections.

If it is bright sun and dappled shade, that is a terrible combination. I'm not sure if there is much foliage, but that if so, that and crappy dirt roads is my least favorite conditions on the bike.

tctyres
03-06-2014, 07:02 PM
Yeah, that pea gravel and fine dirt can be harsh.

I would like to ride rural Italy with some fat 32s, however. I did some "off piste" in Europe a few years ago in Europe. It was a lot of fun.

choke
03-06-2014, 07:20 PM
This is a couple of years old and I thought it was interesting.... http://vimeo.com/22905776

chengher87
03-08-2014, 08:38 AM
Strap yourselves in, we're in the home stretch!

ptourkin
03-08-2014, 08:47 AM
All over but the wheelie?
Let's see.

ptourkin
03-08-2014, 08:57 AM
Well done.
True to form, the climber did his thing.

wasfast
03-08-2014, 08:58 AM
I didn't think he'd shake Sagan, who is an excellent sprinter. Great ending.

chengher87
03-08-2014, 09:01 AM
Terrible tactics by Sagan. Had more than enough time to stop contributing and sit on Kwiatkowski's wheel up the climb.

And then to bring Kwiatkowski (the much better climber) up the climb? Maybe it's just an early season hiccup, but I thought he would have developed some better race judgement after last year.

Sagan was the stronger rider, but he needs to stop trying to out-muscle everyone to the finish line. You are the better sprinter, (in a vacuum) you are probably the best puncheur in the current peloton and even if you are tired, your reputation has some weight. Should have sat back and coasted to victory.

FlashUNC
03-08-2014, 09:08 AM
There's no way he's hanging with Kwiatkowski up that 16% stretch. Could he have made Kwiatkowski work a bit more on the run-in? Maybe, but then the pair may not have stayed away.

Sagan got outfoxed and he wasn't near the strongest guy on the day. Them's the breaks.

the bottle ride
03-08-2014, 09:24 AM
Did anyone catch why Fab dropped off the chasing group at the end?

jpw
03-08-2014, 09:27 AM
Did anyone catch why Fab dropped off the chasing group at the end?

fine tuning for things to come. satisfied with his workout?

the bottle ride
03-08-2014, 09:40 AM
fine tuning for things to come. satisfied with his workout?

could be that-just wondering if it is his prep for the spring is going as well as he hoped.
I also have not been following how closely his team around him has changed etc

Not a huge fan of his, but clearly one of the best

chengher87
03-08-2014, 09:41 AM
There's no way he's hanging with Kwiatkowski up that 16% stretch. Could he have made Kwiatkowski work a bit more on the run-in? Maybe, but then the pair may not have stayed away.

Sagan got outfoxed and he wasn't near the strongest guy on the day. Them's the breaks.

I guess stronger was a bad descriptor. I meant more powerful rider. Sagan can motor it up some steep gradient. There have been plenty of Sagan attacks up 15%+ gradients so he can kill it on descents (think last year's Tirreno-Adriatico).

I also forgot that there were no race radios, so the riders also weren't as informed of the gaps. So Sagan gets a little reprieve. I think the last time the cars came and talked to either rider was well before the flamme rouge, so the last thing Sagan probably heard was "group of 4, Spartacus, Valverde with Omega (Trentin and maybe Uran) chasing". So he probably wanted to motor it so that A. Valverde (the more dangerous up the ascent) and Omega didn't catch back on before the finale.

So, my bad on that. Also, my goodness....Does Valverde mop up the third spot of the podium in every race?

FlashUNC
03-08-2014, 10:15 AM
I guess stronger was a bad descriptor. I meant more powerful rider. Sagan can motor it up some steep gradient. There have been plenty of Sagan attacks up 15%+ gradients so he can kill it on descents (think last year's Tirreno-Adriatico).

I also forgot that there were no race radios, so the riders also weren't as informed of the gaps. So Sagan gets a little reprieve. I think the last time the cars came and talked to either rider was well before the flamme rouge, so the last thing Sagan probably heard was "group of 4, Spartacus, Valverde with Omega (Trentin and maybe Uran) chasing". So he probably wanted to motor it so that A. Valverde (the more dangerous up the ascent) and Omega didn't catch back on before the finale.

So, my bad on that. Also, my goodness....Does Valverde mop up the third spot of the podium in every race?

Valverde is eternally one move too late. Why anyone thinks he's a contender for anything is a beyond me. He's a slightly less infuriating version of Voeckler imo. The fact the chase let him go tells you a lot about what they thought of that "attack."

rain dogs
03-08-2014, 10:35 AM
Why anyone thinks he's a contender for anything is a beyond me.

I think he's considered a threat because he can both sprint and climb, which is why he racks up lots of high placings.

He has 5 wins already this season. I'm often perplexed that he gets grief for being consistent. Think of his comparables... they don't win all the time either. Difference is they often finish in the pack.

As well, he's a gc 'contender' who rides a bunch of classics. You don't see that often these days.

CunegoFan
03-08-2014, 10:56 AM
Valverde is eternally one move too late. Why anyone thinks he's a contender for anything is a beyond me. He's a slightly less infuriating version of Voeckler imo. The fact the chase let him go tells you a lot about what they thought of that "attack."

2nd Giro di Lombardia
2nd Amstel Gold Race
2nd Clásica de San Sebastián
3rd World Road Race Championships
3rd Overall Vuelta a España
3rd Liège–Bastogne–Liège
8th Overall Tour de France

Voeckler does not have those kind of results across his entire career.

nooneline
03-08-2014, 11:19 AM
I don't think Sagan's tactics were bad. They were necessary. He had to work with Kwiatkowski in that move. Kwiatkowski had teammates back in the first bunch - Sagan didn't. If Sagan stopped working, Kwiatkowski would have stopped working, and there goes Cannondale's chances for a result - whereas OPQS still had Wout Poels, Matteo Trentin, & Michel Golas in the bunch.

I was definitely surprised that Kwiatkowski was able to dispatch Sagan so definitively, but I don't think that it was a tactical failure on Sagan's fault. He just wasn't strong enough.

I wasn't surprised by Kwiatkowski's performance, however - anybody remember his 2013, which include very impressive rides in the Ronde and, oh, the Tour de France too? He's a punchy, powerful, timetrialling meatball who's small enough to go up climbs fast.

saab2000
03-08-2014, 11:27 AM
I don't think Sagan's tactics were bad. They were necessary. He had to work with Kwiatkowski in that move. Kwiatkowski had teammates back in the first bunch - Sagan didn't. If Sagan stopped working, Kwiatkowski would have stopped working, and there goes Cannondale's chances for a result - whereas OPQS still had Wout Poels, Matteo Trentin, & Michel Golas in the bunch.

I was definitely surprised that Kwiatkowski was able to dispatch Sagan so definitively, but I don't think that it was a tactical failure on Sagan's fault. He just wasn't strong enough.

I wasn't surprised by Kwiatkowski's performance, however - anybody remember his 2013, which include very impressive rides in the Ronde and, oh, the Tour de France too? He's a punchy, powerful, timetrialling meatball who's small enough to go up climbs fast.

This. The strongest guy won the race and the second strongest guy finished second. It's clearly a very difficult course and after 200 km a steep finishing climb will separate the riders naturally.

I also find it crazy that people criticize Valverde. He has won many races and finished high in many races. He many not have the mental toughness or the sharp acceleration to create gaps, but he's had a very successful career. Instead of criticizing a third place it would be nice to celebrate a third place.

After all, nobody here rode the race and I wonder how many of those who criticize have ever even pinned a number on and lined up in a real race. Some of these guys might even have the strength and skills to be competitive on your local Tuesday Night Worlds or local industrial park criterium.

ultraman6970
03-08-2014, 12:41 PM
I dont think sagan strategy was bad, the issue is was that he was riding in the rivets already way before the last climb, and no matter if he was riding in the back or in the front of the polish rider he was going to be smoked anyways, he knew that and probably that's what brought him to ride in the front and take it like a man if Kwiatkowski jumped. Sagan just gambled riding at the front hoping the guy was not as strong.

Valverde, well the guy has a lot of heart, he did what he could and got a lot of seconds back, bad that FC did not do crap this year tho. IMO too many contenders, everybody was well prepared, IMO FC is getting old and they figure it out a way to stop him, hope Boonnen shines as before in the next races.

nooneline
03-08-2014, 01:09 PM
IMO FC is getting old

This is one of the most ridiculous things I've read about bike racing.

First, his age: he's 33 years old. Second, his performance: unlike lesser riders who need to fight and scrape for wins throughout the season, he's got the palmares to build his whole early season around one week in April - he's not peaking for Strade Bianche (though he's won it before). Oh, and it seems to have worked as recently as last year when he won E3, the Ronde, and Roubaix.

oldpotatoe
03-08-2014, 02:07 PM
I dont think sagan strategy was bad, the issue is was that he was riding in the rivets already way before the last climb, and no matter if he was riding in the back or in the front of the polish rider he was going to be smoked anyways, he knew that and probably that's what brought him to ride in the front and take it like a man if Kwiatkowski jumped. Sagan just gambled riding at the front hoping the guy was not as strong.

Valverde, well the guy has a lot of heart, he did what he could and got a lot of seconds back, bad that FC did not do crap this year tho. IMO too many contenders, everybody was well prepared, IMO FC is getting old and they figure it out a way to stop him, hope Boonnen shines as before in the next races.

Boonen is 34. FC is 33.

jpw
03-08-2014, 02:19 PM
Boonen is 34. FC is 33.

...and Tchmil won MSR at 36, and RVV at 37.

cfox
03-08-2014, 09:18 PM
After all, nobody here rode the race and I wonder how many of those who criticize have ever even pinned a number on and lined up in a real race. Some of these guys might even have the strength and skills to be competitive on your local Tuesday Night Worlds or local industrial park criterium.

I agree it's silly to question Valverde's chops: he's an unreal talent who has racked up tons of wins every year of his career. But I do think it's fine to criticize pro athletes in general. That's their job. They get lauded with praise when they win, and take a lot of criticism when they don't. Those doing the critiquing pay the bills, so that's how it goes.

ultraman6970
03-08-2014, 11:28 PM
Darn sorry for my comments about god FC... :D

He did almost nothing, he always shows something but he did pretty much nothing the whole race, just wait and wait, not saying that is easy to follow those monsters but he always tend to show some of his power, darn... fight for the 3rd place at least you know. Podium is podium after all... maybe he is spending too much time with the schlecks.

Hope he does better in a few weeks...

Don't want to generalize but spaniards have the tendency to miscalculate, and in races like this you can't. Have to check the videos but there was 2 wheels you couldnt let go, FC and Peter Sagan, and looks like valverde was chasing flies in the back or something (when i was racing meet a guy from teka that was always in the back of the peloton, the kid was not bad but darn... ). Then was just too late for an attack. Valverde has a lot of heart, rodriguez too you can't take that away from them.

CunegoFan
03-09-2014, 11:32 AM
And in other news...Valverde wins Roma Maxima. Not too shabby of a weekend for a guy targeting the WC seven months from now.

dawit
03-09-2014, 12:35 PM
Nice job by my fellow Kwiatkowski. Getting stronger every year and staying humble this is how champions are made.

weisan
03-09-2014, 02:49 PM
Don't want to generalize but spaniards have the tendency to miscalculate...

Ultra-pal, are you bad-mouthn' my boy Óscar Freire?:fight:

ultraman6970
03-09-2014, 04:44 PM
You know what I thought on him while generalizing :)... You got that right...

jpw
03-10-2014, 03:22 AM
Valverde is eternally one move too late.

hope springs in the eternal city ;-)

oldpotatoe
03-10-2014, 06:40 AM
...and Tchmil won MSR at 36, and RVV at 37.

I know, just showing that this quote, "IMO FC is getting old and they figure it out a way to stop him, hope Boonnen shines as before in the next races."

Means nada.

ptourkin
03-10-2014, 09:00 AM
Dumping a Cippolini on a climb on a group ride would result in a taunt of "all bike, no legs," this guy probably gets a pass: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPomEbKDpQk&feature=youtu.be&t=15m3s

I think there were 3 domestic teams riding them in the race.

MattTuck
03-10-2014, 09:10 AM
Strade Bianche seems to have attracted more attention in recent years and also seems to be favoring climbers a bit more.

FlashUNC
03-10-2014, 10:11 AM
You know what I thought on him while generalizing :)... You got that right...

Oscar was the master of the calculated escape. Loved that guy. Shame his back issues kept him from winning even more.

azrider
03-10-2014, 10:37 AM
Oscar was the master of the calculated escape. Loved that guy. Shame his back issues kept him from winning even more.

Oscar was definitley unique......always loved this article about him

http://www.bobkestrut.com/images/freire.jpg