PDA

View Full Version : Forum Shout Out

firerescuefin
02-27-2014, 07:39 AM
Bell curves exist for a reason…because they're pretty accurate.

In my time here, I've come across a few of the tools floating around. Not surprisingly, most have moved on to troll sites where they receive more of the conflict they are looking for or the Mods have moved them along. (Thanks Mods).

I have hosted Paceliners in my home, been hosted by others. Been on rides with quite a few as they travelled through my neck of the woods.

Have had 2 members offer me use of vacation homes in areas where I was traveling.

After running my bike into my garage, was offered some really nice frames for next to nothing (to get me back on the road) from a few folks. Both said they'd put in in the mail and I could pay them when I could…few shop guys/owners offered the personal use hookup on lines of frames they carried.

Recently shared something pretty personal regarding the imminent passing of my father. I am sure that some rolled their eyes that someone would share something like that on a "internet forum", but to be able to vent to folks (many of whom I respect and appreciate their opinions) that are outside of my direct orbit of folks was a real blessing to me. I received some great feedback in the post, and received some real heartfelt PMs. It helped me shape my paradigm of a very complex personal situation…yes, really.

My family is living in a Residence Inn as we are house hunting in the Fort Worth area. Paceliners have offered all types of advice and offers of assistance in getting us to the right area for us. The local knowledge has been awesome. Folks have put together a forum ride to help welcome me to the area…as well as a good excuse to get a Paceline ride together. I plan on going for a ride with Ali (Shortsocks) friday.

Anyhow, some great folks on here. If you haven't taken the time/chance to step out from behind your computer to meet, ride, break bread with the folks on here…it's your loss. I have yet to have a bad experience. Quite the opposite.

:beer:

William
02-27-2014, 07:50 AM

In my time here, I've come across a few of the tools floating around. Not surprisingly, most have moved on to troll sites where they receive more of the conflict they are looking for or the Mods have moved them along. (Thanks Mods).

I have hosted Paceliners in my home, been hosted by others. Been on rides with quite a few as they travelled through my neck of the woods.

Have had 2 members offer me use of vacation homes in areas where I was traveling.

After running my bike into my garage, was offered some really nice frames for next to nothing (to get me back on the road) from a few folks. Both said they'd put in in the mail and I could pay them when I could…few shop guys/owners offered the personal use hookup on lines of frames they carried.

Recently shared something pretty personal regarding the imminent passing of my father. I am sure that some rolled their eyes that someone would share something like that on a "internet forum", but to be able to vent to folks (many of whom I respect and appreciate their opinions) that are outside of my direct orbit of folks was a real blessing to me. I received some great feedback in the post, and received some real heartfelt PMs. It helped me shape my paradigm of a very complex personal situation…yes, really.

My family is living in a Residence Inn as we are house hunting in the Fort Worth area. Paceliners have offered all types of advice and offers of assistance in getting us to the right area for us. The local knowledge has been awesome. Folks have put together a forum ride to help welcome me to the area…as well as a good excuse to get a Paceline ride together. I plan on going for a ride with Ali (Shortsocks) friday.

Anyhow, some great folks on here. If you haven't taken the time/chance to step out from behind your computer to meet, ride, break bread with the folks on here…it's your loss. I have yet to have a bad experience. Quite the opposite.

:beer:

Very much agree Geoff!

I have met many forum folks in person at the factory gatherings, rides, parts exchanges, as well as hosting a Ramble for the last four or five years and everyone I’ve met has been great. Many folks have shared their advice and experience to many questions I have posted over the years which has made my life easier in some way, shape, or form. I’ve modded other forums and the Paceline is by far the most civil and helpful forum I have ever experienced. So many wonderful people here.

Kudos to all of you fine folks!:beer:

William

Matthew
02-27-2014, 08:05 AM
I too find this forum and it's members refreshing. Are there knuckleheads? Of course. But far and away this is in my opinion the best cycling forum around. I too have posted some very personal things on here and have gotten some great advice, words of ecouragement, and very positive PM's from various members. I look forward to visiting this site everyday, even if I don't post anything. The generosity here far outweighs the negativity, as proven by firerescuefin's post. I would love to meet and ride with members here in Michigan if such a ride exists. That is, if winter ever ends!!! I am in the Muskegon/Grand Haven area and would be willing to travel a bit if some of the members would like to do a ride this summer. Or maybe post on here if you are doing some of the many tours scheduled for this season. Thanks for reading, and as Ellen says: "Be kind to one another." Matthew.

David Kirk
02-27-2014, 08:19 AM
As cliche as it sounds - this is a special place.

A big thanks to all that help make it that way.

Dave

malcolm
02-27-2014, 08:49 AM
I agree. I've been here since the old Kahuna version and I've never had a bad experience. I've sold things and shipped same day the agreement was made without a second thought simply because I recognized the name.

After all the years of reading the forum I'm still amazed at the depth of knowledge on virtually any topic and how articulate many of the folks here are even the ones I don't agree with.
In cyberland I think Dave is right it's a remarkable place.

tiretrax
02-27-2014, 08:53 AM
Well spoken. You sound like a true Texan. I hope the move is good for you and wish I could join you tomorrow. I might be riding The Spinistry's Monstercross in 10 days, and if so, I hope to meet you then.

texbike
02-27-2014, 08:54 AM
Geoff, you're good people. I'm a firm believer in karma and that you get what you put into things. I would say that your contributions to this community are just being returned to you.

I look forward to catching up with you soon!

texbike

thegunner
02-27-2014, 09:02 AM
some of my favorite people i've met through these boards :)

Nooch
02-27-2014, 09:03 AM
some of my favorite people i've met through these boards :)

aww, you shouldn't have!

FlashUNC
02-27-2014, 09:06 AM
Even the folks I strenuously disagree with on issues like doping, Lance's place in history, the boring nature of the Tour, I'd be happy to go ride and have a pint with.

All in all a good bunch.

DreaminJohn
02-27-2014, 09:15 AM
Great thread.

My wife found it quite strange when we were looking for coffee makers when I said, "let me check Paceline".

"Isn't that about bikes?"

Great place, this.

sc53
02-27-2014, 09:30 AM
Also, never buy or lease a car without checking here first. For 3 years I've known I was gonna get me a Jetta Sportwagen TDI after reading every thread (thank you Louis) on every possible model of car for bikes/dogs/mileage/sportiness. Finally the day came for me to purchase and still no other car had surpassed what I'd read here about the Sportwagen TDI. And yeah, I checked here about coffee and coffee makers and grinders too before upgrading my whole setup last month.
Also--this may be the only bike forum with a female among its moderators! Another plus for this place IMO.

texbike
02-27-2014, 09:54 AM
Great thread.

My wife found it quite strange when we were looking for coffee makers when I said, "let me check Paceline".

"Isn't that about bikes?"

Great place, this.

Also, never buy or lease a car without checking here first. For 3 years I've known I was gonna get me a Jetta Sportwagen TDI after reading every thread (thank you Louis) on every possible model of car for bikes/dogs/mileage/sportiness. Finally the day came for me to purchase and still no other car had surpassed what I'd read here about the Sportwagen TDI. And yeah, I checked here about coffee and coffee makers and grinders too before upgrading my whole setup last month.
Also--this may be the only bike forum with a female among its moderators! Another plus for this place IMO.

I've said it multiple times in the past, but this is by far my favorite forum and the one that gets 99% of my forum participation. All of the bike stuff is fantastic, but it's the varied backgrounds, life experiences, and base of knowledge on topics other than bikes that keep me coming back.

I recently joined an automotive forum that is focused on a specific marquee and the pettiness and hostility that I've seen among posters in less than a month's worth of membership is crazy! Maybe I've been spoiled by the group here.

Thanks to everyone that does their part to make this such a great place!

texbike

SpeedyChix
02-27-2014, 10:06 AM
I too find this forum and it's members refreshing. Are there knuckleheads? Of course. But far and away this is in my opinion the best cycling forum around. I too have posted some very personal things on here and have gotten some great advice, words of ecouragement, and very positive PM's from various members. I look forward to visiting this site everyday, even if I don't post anything. The generosity here far outweighs the negativity, as proven by firerescuefin's post. I would love to meet and ride with members here in Michigan if such a ride exists. That is, if winter ever ends!!! I am in the Muskegon/Grand Haven area and would be willing to travel a bit if some of the members would like to do a ride this summer. Or maybe post on here if you are doing some of the many tours scheduled for this season. Thanks for reading, and as Ellen says: "Be kind to one another." Matthew.

This is a great group of folks. Be great to do a Michigan ride this spring once we escape the endless winter. Know there are a couple of members on here from Ann Arbor area, some from the east side as well.

thegunner
02-27-2014, 10:08 AM
aww, you shouldn't have!

some of those people don't go riding with me nearly as much as they should :mad:

Nooch
02-27-2014, 10:11 AM
some of those people don't go riding with me nearly as much as they should :mad:

LOL, that's why you have ANAO.

There's that pesky bridge in the way, man!

On track, though, I agree, this place is 'special,' which is why it's open in the background all day.

Elefantino
02-27-2014, 11:14 AM
I love the phrase "a friend of mine on Paceline" because that's exactly what many of you are.

Sometimes I get to meet you (like the other day, when enr1co came into the shop and asked, "Aren't you Elefantino?" ... mind blowing) and sometimes even ride with you. Most of the time though it's just simple (or in the case of recent events, not so simple) interaction, chatting about stuff we care about and occasionally stuff we don't, all of it mind-stimulating.

In case I don't say it often enough or even at all ...

Thanks.

:banana:

christian
02-27-2014, 11:26 AM
My wife calls you all "my imaginary internet friends."

Joachim
02-27-2014, 11:31 AM
My wife calls Geoff my boyfriend......

thegunner
02-27-2014, 11:33 AM

yo, we're very much real.

Nooch
02-27-2014, 11:47 AM

I know y'all are real because everyone I've ever emailed keeps popping up on my LinkedIn 'people you may know.'

And I'm just like 'did i buy something from this person? Did I sell something to them? hrm...'

alessandro
02-27-2014, 12:15 PM

No. See Louis' thread, OT: Is the Universe a Simulation? (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=144135)

It's Christian's world, and we're just living in it. :cool:

christian
02-27-2014, 12:19 PM
Hey, you're real enough to me. Only way to get real to my wife is apparently to 1) go for a ride with me or her or 2) date her sister.

There's probably a dozen forumites in the former category. Just one in the latter.

Joachim
02-27-2014, 12:25 PM
Hey, you're real enough to me. Only way to get real to my wife is apparently to 1) go for a ride with me or her or 2) date her sister.

There's probably a dozen forumites in the former category. Just one in the latter.

Once my company goes public, we'll be neighbors!

MattTuck
02-27-2014, 01:06 PM

Geoff, I agree with everything you wrote except this. Tail risk, bro! It's all about the tail risk, and the tail risk is bigger than the normal distribution suggests!

Snow sucks, btw. I want to come down to Texas and stay at a residence inn. :)

firerescuefin
02-27-2014, 01:11 PM
Geoff, I agree with everything you wrote except this. Tail risk, bro! It's all about the tail risk, and the tail risk is bigger than the normal distribution suggests!

Snow sucks, btw. I want to come down to Texas and stay at a residence inn. :)

The tails are alive and well on this forum. Both good and bad

fourflys
02-27-2014, 01:25 PM
good stuff, thanks Geoff!

I really do like this place!

krhea
02-27-2014, 02:18 PM
+100 Geoff, nice post at the right time my friend.

firerescuefin
02-27-2014, 02:45 PM
My wife calls Geoff my boyfriend......

My wife appreciated that she said that :). First time I got of the phone talking to you, my wife gave me a bit of a skeptical look like "sure your talking to someone from the forum about bikes". Thankfully, she has accepted it like all things bikes in my life.

Keith A
02-27-2014, 03:20 PM
My wife appreciated that she said that :). First time I got of the phone talking to you, my wife gave me a bit of a skeptical look like "sure your talking to someone from the forum about bikes". Thankfully, she has accepted it like all things bikes in my life.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47cAxRX3aDg

bikingshearer
02-27-2014, 07:13 PM

I would strongly suggest that you do not do number 2. :no: Waaaaay too much paperwork afterwards.

I do agree, however, that this is a great forum.

firerescuefin
02-28-2014, 05:44 PM
Got to ride around White Rock Lake with Ali (Shortsocks) on a beautiful mid 70's day. Great riding and conversation, plus his sweetheart for a wife welcomed us back with freshly squeezed juice and gourmet paninis. Thanks Ali for the great afternoon.

Geoff

Black Dog
02-28-2014, 05:52 PM
When I read the thread title I thought you wrote shoot out and meant something like this (below) and we have had a few of those around here. But you are 100% right that this is a real oasis of the internet.

http://blog.ricecracker.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/fa_249_1938shootout1_9701.jpg