PDA

View Full Version : Thanks but I'm gone.

sales guy
02-26-2014, 07:25 PM
The mods locked that one thread which I'm totally fine with. What makes me leave is the nasty messages I received from other members. For people claiming this is a friendly forum, you'd be surprised by the emails.

Anyways, hope everybody rides safe. Even the nasty people.

So long.

rustychisel
02-26-2014, 07:45 PM
That is despicable.

Truly, the downside of relative anonymity. Anyway, wish you wouldn't, all the best.

rustychisel, who actually answers to the name of Alex, and who actually believes in goodness.

c-record
I don't know you but have liked your contribution to posts so...stick around.

Dave B
I hope you find your joy again, be safe.

gomango
02-26-2014, 07:49 PM

+1

Why don't you just take a break and come back after a breather?

93legendti
02-26-2014, 07:51 PM
I am sorry you received nasty messages. I wouldn't allow that to affect your decision to stay or go.

You've got a lot on your plate, so maybe you're being rash.
Don't let a few people chase you off.

At least take some time and think about it.

Louis
02-26-2014, 07:55 PM
I am sorry you received nasty messages. I wouldn't allow that to affect your decision to stay or go.

+1

Don't let the meanies control your life.

firerescuefin
02-26-2014, 07:56 PM
The mods locked that one thread which I'm totally fine with. What makes me leave is the nasty messages I received from other members. For people claiming this is a friendly forum, you'd be surprised by the emails.

So long.

Sorry the internet tough guys left a bad taste in your mouth. I think Shakespeare once wrote

"You take the good, you take the bad, you take them both and there you have.....the facts of life"

Be well!

Fixed
02-26-2014, 07:58 PM
Cheers :beer:bro
Things will work out
Trust your gut

saab2000
02-26-2014, 08:02 PM
Cheers :beer:bro
Things will work out
Trust your gut

This man speaks truth.

Trust your gut.

As for the meanies, don't let toxicity rule your life, here or elsewhere. Need to follow my own rules sometimes.

kramnnim
02-26-2014, 08:03 PM

+2. And I sent a PM, not nasty.

fuzzalow
02-26-2014, 08:12 PM
I did not read or comment into your thread about about your marital conflict & difficulties. And I assume that is what you received ill mannered PMs about.

But not even knowing what you posted, I am sure that whatever was said should have been viewed in the context of the catharsis that your were playing out in venting in that thread. The people that sent you nasty PMs might not have wished to grant you that latitude.

It is always a mistake to acquiesce to the cowardice of rough talk sent by electronic messaging and anonymity - anything they had to say could at least be respected if said openly and with accountability.

Take a break and reconsider. If you are going to leave, let it be on your own terms and for your own reasons and not because somebody tried to rough you up.

the bottle ride
02-26-2014, 08:16 PM

+1

Forums can be homes for many- a refuge. It sucks that someone got pushed out. I have been struggling the last few months too and I take comfort in this place.

Tony
02-26-2014, 08:17 PM
Sharing certainly can be a mine field. Your honesty with your feelings is refreshing, regardless of right or wrong. Hope you stick around Sales

wooly
02-26-2014, 08:31 PM
It surprises me that you'd receive nasty PM's related to your thread, whatever the context. Over the years I've learned this place has more good folks than bad. Stick around

avalonracing
02-26-2014, 08:43 PM
On the outside chance that he really doesn't check back you guys may want to email him directly through this screen name. Although I would watch the content of your emails as his wife may read them. But you may want to wish him well there and convince him to stick around.

Chromoroboto
02-26-2014, 09:01 PM
I believe that there are more friendly forumites here than anonymous enemies. Stick around.

Pars
02-26-2014, 09:06 PM
That is despicable.

Truly, the downside of relative anonymity. Anyway, wish you wouldn't, all the best.

rustychisel, who actually answers to the name of Alex, and who actually believes in goodness.

I don't know you but have liked your contribution to posts so...stick around.

I agree with both of these posts. I find it somewhat surprising on this forum to find that much venom in PMs. I read some of your thread on out of bicycles, and didn't comment, but felt for you. I hope you stick around.

csm
02-26-2014, 09:16 PM
We've had others over the years say they're leaving. They all come back. Even the ones banned.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

wallymann
02-26-2014, 09:39 PM
Maybe post the names of those that sent crappy PMs/messages. Heck, post what they wrote so we all can see the crappy stuff they've said.

Cat3roadracer
02-26-2014, 09:44 PM
More drama. Good night.

Louis
02-26-2014, 09:46 PM
Maybe post the names of those that sent crappy PMs/messages. Heck, post what they wrote so we all can see the crappy stuff they've said.

I thought of this, but it wouldn't be very nice to do that. (and the post would surely be deleted by the moderators)

EchelonLeft
02-26-2014, 09:58 PM
Jackaninnies be everywhere. Delete takes less time than anger.
It's not your fault they have no life.
Hang out for the info and the help.

EL

Javaman
02-26-2014, 10:08 PM

So long.

Hope you're just taking a break...
Riding your bicycle or something...but hey thanks for help. You answered a few of my questions before...

pbarry
02-26-2014, 10:25 PM
You received 17 pages of feedback for your other thread this week. Almost all of the comments were supportive, many were very insightful. And you got some tough love from a few. Guessing you received a handful of negative PM's/emails. Block those users and move on.

Don't see how you lost out here, or, really, why you're going.

krhea
02-26-2014, 10:31 PM
You received 17 pages of feedback for your other thread this week. Almost all of the comments were supportive, many were very insightful. And you got some tough love from a few. Guessing you received a handful of negative PM's/emails. Block those users and move on.

+1

His reaction to a couple negative comments after all the outpouring of positivity and support is very "telling" I think.

beeatnik
02-26-2014, 10:38 PM
We've had others over the years say they're leaving. They all come back. Even the ones banned.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

They come back to sell stuff or send nasty PMs. Sup Viper! :D

dave thompson
02-26-2014, 11:07 PM
The discourse here has become far less civil, more acrimonious, a lot more personal. It's becoming like reality TV. Depressingly.

alessandro
02-26-2014, 11:08 PM
I'm very judgmental. It's one of the faculties we have in life that allows us to make decisions and move forward, based on perception and experience. The problem is knowing when to reserve judgment.

A few days ago one of the NYT's film critics wrote an article (http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/23/movies/awardsseason/jennifer-lawrence-of-american-hustle-adds-evidence-of-star-quality.html) about an actress that she didn't like at first. This line stuck with me:

In the 1940 screwball comedy “The Philadelphia Story” Katharine Hepburn’s character says (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nH2DKZ-2m74) that “the time to make up your mind about people — is never.”

jlwdm
02-26-2014, 11:13 PM
Mods, it would be great if you could delete the prior thread - not just close it. The personal information is going to cause real problems soon if it has not happened already.

Jeff

TRACK
02-26-2014, 11:15 PM
its ok. dont take it too personally.
you wont ever see the person(s) anyways.
they can only talk crap behind a monitor.

Shortsocks
02-26-2014, 11:41 PM
Friday is going to be a perfect day in Dallas for a ride. Wife has offered to make me sandwiches...any sandwich of my choice after a ride. Wondering what I should as for. I was thinking Roastbeef on rye, or maybe a garlic mortadella.

What do you guys think?

Of course sour creame and onion chips on the side though.

gdw
02-27-2014, 12:09 AM
"Mods, it would be great if you could delete the prior thread - not just close it. The personal information is going to cause real problems soon if it has not happened already. "

He's right, delete it. I feel sorry for the guy but his posts about his unwanted child crossed the line and should have been censored.

slidey
02-27-2014, 01:53 AM
Your over-reaction to some innocuous comments on the previous thread really says a lot more than your narration of events. It does seem that you were looking for confirmation bias as opposed to constructive feedback.

Hopefully the time off serves you well, or things magically work out for you...either way, good luck as I think you'll need bucket loads of it.

William
02-27-2014, 05:00 AM

So long.

SG,

In response to your pm to me I requested that you let us know who sent messages "of bodily harm" that you mentioned so that we could take action, as of yet you have not done that. Until then nothing can be looked into. I wish you the best of luck with the issues you are currently going through.

W.

Joachim
02-27-2014, 05:10 AM
Some people take a step back, breathe and make lemonade out of lemons. Other people just like to get more lemons.

oldpotatoe
02-27-2014, 06:18 AM

So long.

Yep, you should have seen the PMs when, as a 'bike shop owner', as if that means I can't have an opinion, I slammed sram crap...so it goes, I consider the sources, even anonymous ones.

Wish you wouldn't leave tho..you have a great perspective into the bike biz on this 'cycling' forum..and also some personal problems, just like all of us.

You have my email..email anytime.

"Things will be OK in the end..if they aren't OK, it's not the end"...

William
02-27-2014, 06:45 AM

Very true. 17 - 18 pages of honest support for you and your situation. That speaks volumes for the members here. There are very few public forums out there where you would get that kind of support.

Again, if you received "messages threatening bodily harm" as you stated, please send them to me or one of the other mods so that we can see them and take appropriate action if necessary. When someone sends a pm or an email through the system, it shows who the member is who sent it. I won't say we don't have anyone who would send a nasty message here, but I do think that number is minuscule compared to the number of kind caring folks we have here on the forum.

W.

rugbysecondrow
02-27-2014, 07:21 AM
My man,
Leaving here, staying here...it doesn't matter. You stop posting tomorrow and few will bat an eye. A year from now you will be one of thousands of other folks who have posted something archived in the threads...that is all. How many people have just floated away, with little concern for them? A whole bunch. Just as I wouldn't stay because of a faux outpouring of support, I wouldn't leave because of some jerks. Stay for you, what you get out of the forum, not other people...or leave for the same reason. Either way, don't make a production of it.

No matter where you go, there you are...fix you or else you will be unhappy everywhere.

malcolm
02-27-2014, 08:54 AM
Don't cut your nose off to spite your face. You posted stuff that was bound to elicit emotional responses, yet most public responses were positive or at least attempts to be helpful. Anyone can say anything via pm or email and I doubt you could lift the grain of salt they need to be taken with.

If you choose to leave well that's your decision but sounds like throwing out the baby with the bath water to me.

Charles M
02-27-2014, 09:37 AM
As one of the guys that's always either used my name and or put it in the signature line, I can say that trolls never last and most of the people worth speaking with see 5h!theads for what they are...

I get crap all the time, but I've also enjoyed watching one guy after another blow himself up with his own IED...

It's crap when industry people leave a forum.

I'm sayin don't go, and call people out for what they're saying if it's overly offensive... The mods here have your back as long as you're not the problem...

It's worked for well for me both here and at WW...

[Edit / Addition : Just read the thread... Bad situation and in a chat room, even a good one, you'll get people that will twist things around even small things, just because they can. In a situation as major as that thread, I could imagine how deeply those twists could cut. Hope it works out and, yes, bail on this place and anything else that takes your eye off the ball. Fix what needs fixing, change what you have to and maybe we'll see you again.]

soulspinner
02-27-2014, 09:45 AM
Seek out the positive, remember and avoid the negative. Keep the rubber down in any event..........

spiderman
02-27-2014, 09:50 AM
sometimes the negative we get
is all we have to focus on
because the well spoken timely word
is so rare these days.
take the above soulspinner challenge to look beyond the
isolated private negative message
and enjoy the community of this forum--
this place remains a great and unique place to learn
and grow surrounded by people who do
really care and go above and beyond!
:help:

Hls2k6
02-27-2014, 11:00 AM
Your over-reaction to some innocuous comments on the previous thread really says a lot more than your narration of events. It does seem that you were looking for confirmation bias as opposed to constructive feedback.

Hopefully the time off serves you well, or things magically work out for you...either way, good luck as I think you'll need bucket loads of it.

I didn't send or consider sending a PM or email, and don't know why anyone would bother doing so. That said, I totally agree with the above post. Just because some people didn't agree with him, after he started a thread in which he solicited feedback, does not make them trolls or jerks.

And I don't agree with unilaterally needing to delete the thread to protect privacy. The OP interjected relationship issues in countless threads, on countless subjects, and then personally started that one.

I don't wish bad on anyone, and I really hope things turn around for you, Sales Guy. Taking your ball and going home ain't gonna do it, though.

Elefantino
02-27-2014, 11:06 AM
I think the situation was pegged for disaster from the outset, but that doesn't change the fact that if some people sent threats, they should be punished.

@sshats, you know who you are.

In the meantime, the forum goes on, none the worse for the wear, and we hope to see sales guy back in the future, hopefully under better circumstances.

Saint Vitus
02-27-2014, 11:59 AM
Can't leave now, you're one post to 1000!

Charles M
02-27-2014, 02:24 PM
How nice...

The same kind of BS now drifting over to this thread...

Some folks just can't manage to let something go and just need to recap it again and again. The guy's just posting a "see ya" thread. There's Zero need to fire up the thread that's gone.

There sure as hell was no reason to keep it around unless you're the type of person that loves to see (and perpetuate) garbage...

That's exactly the kind of bull5ht attitude that forums can do without...

I just dont get why some people feel like they have to "win" a thread like that.

I'm glad it's a minority here and easy to spot.

Watch.

Some ****head will now pop in and tell us "he said- - - - - - - -- - - - - " just to piss on him.

You can be supportive or you can just let it go... Or, lets rekindle nothing but the bad stuff and keep it rolling cause, you know, thats how you make yourself feel superior...

Joachim
02-27-2014, 03:11 PM
Well he did say.....

Joachim
02-27-2014, 03:13 PM
[Edit / Addition : and, yes, bail on this place and anything else that takes your eye off the ball. Fix what needs fixing, change what you have to and maybe we'll see you again.]

Well said.

William
02-27-2014, 03:26 PM
Wishing SG the best at getting his issues worked out.

William