PDA

View Full Version : Low profile brakes that play nice with HT cable stops?

floxy1
02-26-2014, 11:58 AM
I've done a search but didn't see anything specific on this. Can someone point me in the right direction on lower profile brakes that play nicer with HT mounted barrel adjusters? My Rival brakes are not going to work. Nokian housing may help but never going to be ideal. Thx.

oldpotatoe
02-26-2014, 05:52 PM
I've done a search but didn't see anything specific on this. Can someone point me in the right direction on lower profile brakes that play nicer with HT mounted barrel adjusters? My Rival brakes are not going to work. Nokian housing may help but never going to be ideal. Thx.

Serotta by chance? I've fixed this 'issue', found with shimano and sram brakes, with Campagnolo brakes BUT no quick release...

floxy1
02-26-2014, 06:08 PM
Yes, Ottrott. My Rival brakes are a no go. So, you're saying look for a model without the quick release?

dave thompson
02-26-2014, 06:09 PM
The way I overcame that problem on my wife's Calfee was the cross the derailleur cables in the front of the head tube, rear der cable to the left head tube adjuster and front der cable to the right adjuster. Then cross the derailleur wires underneath the down tube to their correct orientation. Works well to minimize the interference of the front brake.

Ralph
02-26-2014, 07:22 PM
I ride a bike with adjustable cable stops on head tube, and use Campagnolo brakes. The brake adjusters are in the hoods, and I route the derailleur housing inside the brake housing. About a 1" clearance, so no issue at all.

dekindy
02-26-2014, 09:36 PM
I ride a bike with adjustable cable stops on head tube, and use Campagnolo brakes. The brake adjusters are in the hoods, and I route the derailleur housing inside the brake housing. About a 1" clearance, so no issue at all.

Not sure what you mean. Is this possible on Shimano or just Campy?

I was just looking at a picture of my bike and it appears my LBS has done the crisscross routing that Dave Thompson suggested. There is still a little conflict but only at extreme turns of the front wheel so it is not an issue for riding.

Ralph
02-27-2014, 06:01 AM
Sorry....Don't mean adjusters, but the opening and closing adjustment to get wheel out is on the hoods on Campy. Crossing works fine also. I like to do that with new cables and housing, you can run a little more housing when crossing, then following year or so when I lube up cables, can cut off ends, shorten up cables and housing for new wear spots, and route traditionally. I spray lube thru the housing. Make cables and housing last a long long time. Maybe I'm cheap. I even run the short piece of housing from RD to stop a tad long, so I can cut an inche or so off if I mess up cable ends and need to cut off some cable to get a nice end.

oldpotatoe
02-27-2014, 06:25 AM
Yes, Ottrott. My Rival brakes are a no go. So, you're saying look for a model without the quick release?

No, I've seen this 'issue' on more than one Serotta and Campagnolo brake caliper arm design seem to 'fix' it..the arm is more toward the outside, allowing the der housing to be inside of it.

floxy1
03-01-2014, 09:49 PM
I tried crossing the cables and no luck. If anything it was worse. I zip tied the shifter/brake cables together and it seemed to help keep the shifter from getting on the wrong side of the brake cable. Still looking for some brakes that make this less problematic.

dave thompson
03-01-2014, 11:32 PM
I tried crossing the cables and no luck. If anything it was worse. I zip tied the shifter/brake cables together and it seemed to help keep the shifter from getting on the wrong side of the brake cable. Still looking for some brakes that make this less problematic.

I'm not understanding what you're saying. It would be helpful to post some pics.

On the bikes that I've had the same problem as you, I've always found a satisfactory solution, crossing the cables, lengthening or shortening the cables, without resorting to a new brake assembly.