PDA

View Full Version : Cyclist left in dumpster after hit-and-run dies from complications

Keith A
02-25-2014, 03:54 PM
Just saw this in the news today...
http://www.wsvn.com/story/24806407/cyclist-left-in-dumpster-after-hit-and-run-dies-from-complications

Here's part of the article...
The 53-year-old was hit while riding his bike back in December. Camlin was dragged two miles by the driver who, police said, left the victim behind a dumpster.

The driver, 27-year-old Axel Inostroza, was charged with leaving the scene of an accident with injuries, tampering with evidence and attempted voluntary manslaughter. Additional charges could now be filed against him.

sales guy
02-25-2014, 05:50 PM
Sad thing is he won't get a murder charge. Which he rightly deserves. It was a cyclist. They don't count.

AngryScientist
02-25-2014, 05:54 PM
quite simply, that is blatant disregard for human life. just sick.

Louis
02-25-2014, 06:01 PM

Cyclists are humans? Hmmmm, most drivers would not agree.

Black Dog
02-25-2014, 06:02 PM
And someone will ask if he was wearing his helmet. :mad: The driver is a sociopath. :butt:

AngryScientist
02-25-2014, 06:04 PM

i would hope the angle the prosecutor will take will ignore the "cyclist" title and look at the raw facts: this scumbag critically injured someone and then hid the body and left them for dead. none of the ancillary details really matter much i dont think.

bobswire
02-25-2014, 06:52 PM
We need to organize like MADD did back in the day when drivers got a slap on the hand after an accident from drinking. Most drivers feel cyclists are a hindrance, if we get hit by a car it is our fault for being out there.

Seramount
02-25-2014, 06:57 PM
We need to organize like MADD did back in the day when drivers got a slap on the hand after an accident from drinking. Most drivers feel cyclists are a hindrance, if we get hit by a car it is our fault for being out there.

preach it...that's exactly what it will take.

cnighbor1
02-25-2014, 07:43 PM

While riding in Europe I had only one motorist that came close to me. Over a 3 week period so they must have a lot of respect for cyclists
Charles

Louis
02-25-2014, 07:50 PM
I think even the most rah-rah "Go USA" types would agree that European drivers have a much better relationship with cyclists than their American brethren, at least by reputation, if not in reality (as your experience suggests).

Keith A
02-25-2014, 08:14 PM
I keep wondering what is it going to take before law enforcement, the judicial system and the general populace here in the US accept that cycling is here to stay and that we have rights too. I know there are some areas in this country that are much better than others, but then again there are some areas that are pretty bad. Just look at the recent statement from the politician who thought there shouldn't be any cycling their city/county.

I think we have a long ways to go and I sometimes regret getting two of my daughters involved in cycling as I worry about what might happen to them. There are some people out there that truly loathe cyclists...and that is scary.

ultraman6970
02-25-2014, 08:29 PM
:(

Elefantino
02-25-2014, 08:30 PM
I keep wondering what is it going to take before law enforcement, the judicial system and the general populace here in the US accept that cycling is here to stay and that we have rights too. I know there are some areas in this country that are much better than others, but then again there are some areas that are pretty bad. Just look at the recent statement from the politician who thought there shouldn't be any cycling their city/county.

I think we have a long ways to go and I sometimes regret getting two of my daughters involved in cycling as I worry about what might happen to them. There are some people out there that truly loathe cyclists...and that is scary.
Unfortunately, the League of American Bicyclists is powerless on this issue. Not sure why. Maybe because they're in DC and part of the power structure debacle.

CARD (Cyclists Against Reckless Driving) has been around for several years and is equally unsuccessful.

What cycling needs is a passionate advocate.

Louis
02-25-2014, 08:37 PM

I nominate Lance.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ4ZtOUh3TnN-ocJGZIU7fVCIGFWCl92lDdFsQkt2_cpjuKo295eQ

leooooo
02-25-2014, 09:08 PM
Disgusting.

MattTuck
02-25-2014, 09:27 PM

Or we could organize vigilante posses that distribute frontier justice...

Yes. this is sick and has little to do with cycling.

Unfortunately, the League of American Bicyclists is powerless on this issue. Not sure why. Maybe because they're in DC and part of the power structure debacle.

CARD (Cyclists Against Reckless Driving) has been around for several years and is equally unsuccessful.

You forget that The Bicycle Lobby is all powerful, according to Dorothy Rabinowitz (http://live.wsj.com/video/opinion-death-by-bicycle/C6D8BBCE-B405-4D3C-A381-4CA50BDD8D4D.html)

TRACK
02-25-2014, 09:34 PM
oh Florida laws.. how i hated you so much.

makes me want to wear my gopro everywhere i go...

Llewellyn
02-25-2014, 09:39 PM
Unbelievable that someone could have such disregard for a life, whether the person was a cyclist or not :mad:

nbl78s
02-25-2014, 10:27 PM
Unbelievable... My wife keeps after me to just ride my mountian bike because of stuff like this :(

velotrack
02-26-2014, 12:24 AM
So quick to dismiss it as anything but murder. Complications? Sure, but easily preventable. The driver is a ridiculous excuse for a human being.

Elefantino
02-26-2014, 08:58 AM
I nominate Lance.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ4ZtOUh3TnN-ocJGZIU7fVCIGFWCl92lDdFsQkt2_cpjuKo295eQ
It's interesting, but let's speculate that if he hadn't been a fraud he might be just the person to do it. He has politician friends; imagine if he leaned on them for this with the same fervor he did for cancer survivorship.

And if a duck had udders it'd be a cow.