PDA

View Full Version : I want speed, but need a flat bar

DreaminJohn
02-25-2014, 10:01 AM
I have a really bad elbow. Can't straighten it fully or put any more than a cursory load on it. Been to the ortho, trying out PT. Bottom line is I can't get comfy on drop bars.

I have an old hybrid (C'Dale H600) that I ride exclusively now. I put one of those curvy setback seatposts on it to try and improve my position but the combination of weight (the bike's and mine) and position generally precludes me from obtaining that "wind through your hair" feeling (although I'm bald).

So I see myself with 3 choices for my desired 20 to 40 milers over rolling hills and possibly Allaire State Park:

1. A new, lighter hybrid with some go-fast stuff on it
2. A CX frame/bike with flat bars and shifters
3. A road frame with flat bars and shifters

My primary question is about #2 and #3 re: position. I've read the threads here about converting drop to flat bars. Will a road bike with flat bars be as comfy or will the generally more-upright position of a CX be better? Between Fantasy Football winnings and other savings I'm looking at $800 - $1000.

ALL opinions are welcomed. Thanks as always, folks.

tuscanyswe
02-25-2014, 10:11 AM
I think the idea that a cx has a more upright position isent really true to begin with. Many ppl like to have a more upright position when riding a cross course than they do on pavement so they set the bikes up for that but the bikes themselves often doesn't really differ much in terms of stack (which is ultimately what gives you a more upright position).

Id try and find a road bike with the right size headtube for a comfortable position in agreement with your new preferences. If you are going to ride exclusively on pavement i c no reason to search for a cross bike. A solution could be to just get a size bigger road frame than you normally ride to compensate some for the shorter reach with straight bars compared to drop bars. You also get a taller headtube by default.

Built this up for my girlfriend, tho i probably rode it more than she has :/
Definetly a nice ride even tho its not nearly my size i can tell. You can def get that speed feeling imo compared to a hybrid.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5444/9838149314_e484ef6eac_b.jpg

gavingould
02-25-2014, 10:16 AM
i actually ran more saddle to bar drop on my cross bike than road bike. mostly because on the road, i'm likely to be out for 3+hours and on the cross bike, it's 45min to an hour. comfort is all in the positioning... as is speed, to some extent.

FlashUNC
02-25-2014, 10:24 AM
I feel your pain. Had a full elbow reconstruction two years back after my humerus decided to splinter into a bunch of bits landing on it in a crash.

But I had the opposite experience. Riding was one of the few things that made the arm feel good while still working through PT and range of motion stuff.

I think a flat bar might be the way to go, but just swapping a flat bar onto a road or cross frame won't necessarily get the weight off the arm you're looking for. As others have mentioned, you might want to look for something with a bit more slack geometry to get you a bit more upright. Almost like a flat bar brevet bike.

DreaminJohn
02-25-2014, 10:33 AM
Lesson learned - a CX solution isn't necessarily more upright.

@tuscany - that Atlanta is bitchin' - and just the kind of thing I can see myself riding.

AngryScientist
02-25-2014, 10:35 AM
flat bar road bikes are a thing. plenty of them out there. on a quick look the "cannondale quick" is like $700, maybe something like this?

http://media.cannondale.com/media/catalog/product/cache/3/small_image/725x/17f82f742ffe127f42dca9de82fb58b1/c/_/c_13_3QR4_blk_7.png

Coluber42
02-25-2014, 10:36 AM
You might also consider the various other in-between handlebar varieties, like Moustache bars or the curvy Rando drop bars or the On-One dirt drops, or even something like a swept back bar or a "trekking" bar. Those options still give you multiple hand positions and give you a more upright position. Plus it might be a cheaper/easier conversion if you're converting a road bike because you can still use the same levers.
You'll have to be the judge, but there are more choices than just flat or drop. :)

Fixed
02-25-2014, 10:42 AM
How about a t.t. Tri Setup Fast is what it is
Unless you ride with a club or group

bobswire
02-25-2014, 10:43 AM
I hardest thing for me to want to give up is drop bars , I keep trying to rationalize why flat bars only belong of Mnt bikes or look stupid on road frames or what "other" people will think. Anyway I converted one of my bikes using Nitto B206 Nordeast bars and couldn't be happier. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nitto-B206-Nordeast-Handlebar-52-5cm-CrMo-25-4-/380836020673?pt=US_Handlebars&hash=item58ab9881c1

http://i41.tinypic.com/dyohe1.jpg http://i44.tinypic.com/34j3io0.jpg

I've a new cx type frame coming in (Albion Privateer) and will most likely use these same bars but with thumb shifters. BTW I have not lost speed or climbing ability in any way but have gained better all day comfort and handling.

http://i41.tinypic.com/vd1tlw.jpg

sparky33
02-25-2014, 10:55 AM
hardest thing for me to want to give up is drop bars , I keep trying to rationalize why flat bars only belong of Mnt bikes or look stupid on road frames or what "other" people will think. Anyway I converted one of my bikes using Nitto B206 Nordeast bars and couldn't be happier.

I had a similarly shaped bar (Jitensha flat bar) with similar Ergon grips. A naturally comfortable long and low position on a road bike. Great fun.

close to road bar height, +1 or 2cm stem length.

thirdgenbird
02-25-2014, 11:18 AM
That last one was going to be my recommendation. If you can still use downtube shifters, an older road bike with a flat bar and cantilever brake levers is an easy swap and looks spectacular. Quill stems also make it easy to get height without looking odd. If bar shifting is wanted, I would go with Paul's thumbies. You can use native flat bar shifters, but thumbies look and work great while eliminating possible cable pull issues,

the bottle ride
02-25-2014, 11:25 AM
Great thread as I am interested in the options as well- nothing to add just want to follow the discussion.
(Subscribed)

jh_on_the_cape
02-25-2014, 12:37 PM
Go for a purpose built flat bar road bike. Get it new at a good shop and have them fit you to it.

Drop bars don't make sense for everyone. In fact, most normal road bikers with drop bars are on the hoods most of the time anyway.

I did a similar search for a buddy recently. He will either go to the bike shop and get a Trek FX to fit his budget, or go to bikesdirect.com and get something like the motobecane cafe century. That just depends on how you value your LBS vs a higher parts spec and how much you can do yourself.

Good luck.

Ken Robb
02-25-2014, 05:00 PM
I would try:

Get your drop bars up even with or above your saddle and see how that works.

Need more: Moustache or similar bars as sold by Rivendell. They give several good hand positions for most people and at least one of them will probably work for you.