PDA

View Full Version : threaded or quill adaptor or...?

jh_on_the_cape
02-25-2014, 08:35 AM
I have an old steel frame that I want to build back up. Nothing classic or vintage, just old and ugly.
It has a bonded aluminum fork with a threaded headset. I have a set of STI levers on bars that I want to use... it had DT shifters, to there are just brake levers. I don't want DT shifters. I do have an older carbon fork that has DO and crown bonded to it.
Should I...
1. Just keep that fork on there, unwrap the bars and just put the STI levers on there.
2. Install a 1" carbon threadless fork and headset, stem? But then I need the bike shop involvement with the crown race, etc...
3. put on a quill adaptor then go with the threadless stem...

I have been road riding very little (more running) and want to just sell my fancy road bike once I have this set up. I just want to have a road bike for when there is a group ride or something that I want to do. The occasional long commute or something. And I want this process to be easy.

FlashUNC
02-25-2014, 08:43 AM
Option 1.

Threaded stuff works fine.

thirdgenbird
02-25-2014, 09:13 AM
I would go 1 as well.

I'm not a fan of adaptors and there is no need to throw money at new parts if you don't need to. Ergo/Sti levers on traditional steel bikes is a great look quill and all.

Fixed
02-25-2014, 09:20 AM
Quill stem goes with the bike
can be very lovely in an
Artistic way
IMHO
Cheers

josephr
02-25-2014, 09:32 AM
I would go 1 as well.

I'm not a fan of adaptors and there is no need to throw money at new parts if you don't need to. Ergo/Sti levers on traditional steel bikes is a great look quill and all.

agreed the threadless adapter is not option #1....However, the reason to go to a threadless adapter is if you don't know the right stem length/angle for you on this bike. If you know the best fit, then I'd go with quill. If you think you're going to be trying out different stems to dial in the fit of the bike, then I'd go with a threadless adapter --- which work just fine...just sometimes you get the 'skinny neck' or you can't get much height out of them if you're using a stem-mounted brake cable holder thingy.
Joe