PDA

View Full Version : Adventure touring rig poll.

c-record
02-24-2014, 06:35 PM
Objectives:

Backroads, singletrack, two-track, road touring and exploring.

What would you do and why?

Thanks!

c-record
02-24-2014, 06:43 PM
My biases:

Ogre is cheap. I really like the Jones Loop bar. I like how this bike feels on singletrack. Thumbies are good but also bad. Triple seems nice.

Fargo. Geo doesn't seem as nice for singletrack. Less options for mounting junk on the bar. Bar doesn't feel as good on singletrack. Carbon fork is nice. Sram shifters feel weird on the Salsa bar off road?

ECR. Wasn't really in contention but a friend who is very experienced in touring said it's awesome on washboard gravel roads. Said it just floats and feels smooth and fast. Says the tires still feel light and it's surprisingly fast on pavement.

gdw
02-24-2014, 06:47 PM
How much of your riding will be on singletrack?

c-record
02-24-2014, 07:02 PM
How much of your riding will be on singletrack?

Good question. Honestly probably not as much as I'd like. Likely more fire/gravel/forest roads.

Fixed
02-24-2014, 07:27 PM
I like this it is from portlandia
Cheers signal cycle

c-record
02-24-2014, 07:44 PM
I like that too. I'm thinking more gnarlier and getting away from civilization.

gdw
02-24-2014, 08:10 PM
Of the three choices you offer, I'd choose the Fargo for the type terrain you're planning to ride just because it's the lightest of the three. I'd also suggest you check out the El Mariachi especially if you choose to run soft bikepacking gear instead of racks and panniers. It will handle singletrack really well and be just as fast as the Fargo on the other surfaces.

tiretrax
02-24-2014, 08:20 PM
https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1/1559575_666166723427019_803594910_n.jpg

I colleague is thinking of the Fargo. It was used by a number of folks participating in the Tour of the Divide.

dustyrider
02-24-2014, 08:22 PM
I voted for the Fargo, but I've got a (new to me) Serotta concours cx for this type of riding.

Singletrack requires a different bike in my reality.

csm
02-24-2014, 08:26 PM
Fargo.... I've got 3 in the garage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

JAGI410
02-24-2014, 09:36 PM
I voted Ogre, but in reality there's a lot of overlap in all 3 of these bikes, and they will all do all that you want of them. The Ogre is cheaper, has the great loop bars and multiple hand positions, and has Rohloff capability.

But if you prefer drop bars, the Fargo rules.

FWIW, I went through a similar dilemma pre-ECR, and bought a Surly Troll. I wanted 26"/650B/700c flexibility, and didn't want the curvy seat tube of the Ogre as it wouldn't allow me to put the seat down low enough if my wife wanted to ride it. The boys from boundsouth.org brought their Trolls back to the shop after their Alaska to Argentina adventure and seeing them covered in South America dirt further cemented the Troll as my bike of choice.

witcombusa
02-25-2014, 04:06 AM
Why only Surly to choose from?

gomango
02-25-2014, 05:20 AM
I have a Fargo and use it extensively on fire roads up at our cabin on the edge of the BWCA in northern Minnesota.

Fire roads are no problem with the Fargo.

It's ok on singletrack and decent on gravel/poor quality two lane asphalt roads as well.

It really shines with a small load on the front and my BOB trailer on the back. I carry in a float tube to remote lakes to fish for Lakers and trophy Northerns with my fly rods. I can't get there by car and with the Fargo, I don't need to anymore.

It kind of reminds me of a pack mule.

Tire choice ultimately changes the character of the bike a great deal and I want to run it this year with Bruce Gordon Rock 'n Roads. I have heard great things about those tires, so I'll see if I can get a fit.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5484/11159756715_eedb9ac177_b.jpg

c-record
02-25-2014, 09:00 AM
I voted for the Fargo, but I've got a (new to me) Serotta concours cx for this type of riding.

Singletrack requires a different bike in my reality.

You're right on singletrack requiring a different bike I think.

I'm gunning for one bike-less is more. Kind of like I used to do when I was poorer and had less bikes. I want to ride this bike lots so I'm realizing I'll compromise in areas.

c-record
02-25-2014, 09:00 AM
Why only Surly to choose from?

Another good question. Availability and reputation I'd say factor in. Salsa is big on the adventure touring and Surly seems to have this arena dialed as well. Plus the Surly is cheap.

c-record
02-25-2014, 09:03 AM
Seeing strong enthusiasm around the Fargo. I can't entirely wrap my head around the bars/shifters for singletrack. I ride a lot of CX so I've spent good time with drops off road.

Someone earlier posted El Mariachi and I spent some time last night checking the El Mar 2 out.

GoMango seems to be reading my mind on some level!

gomango
02-25-2014, 01:08 PM
Seeing strong enthusiasm around the Fargo. I can't entirely wrap my head around the bars/shifters for singletrack. I ride a lot of CX so I've spent good time with drops off road.

Someone earlier posted El Mariachi and I spent some time last night checking the El Mar 2 out.

GoMango seems to be reading my mind on some level!

I have a 2012 El Mar as well. :)

Great hardtail.

Scary!