PDA

View Full Version : Cross cranks

ericspin
02-02-2006, 04:42 AM
When I built up my IF PlanetX I used a Ritchey road triple that as it turns out just is not stiff enough. When I stand and get on it hard the rings really sing on the front der. Wondering if anyone has a crankset that they are using that performs really well? FWIW I am using barend shifters also and I have tried the front derailleur in all different positions and the rings still rub.

Eric

Bruce K
02-02-2006, 06:35 AM
The FSA Gossamer with the Mega Exo BB seems to be working pretty well on my Concours CX.

They are pretty reasonably priced as well.

BK

CNY rider
02-02-2006, 07:47 AM
Why do you think it's crankset and not frame flex?

christian
02-02-2006, 08:47 AM

Word. That is the mad right question, yo.

- Christian

e-RICHIE
02-02-2006, 09:18 AM
When I built up my IF PlanetX I used a Ritchey road triple that as it turns out just is not stiff enough. When I stand and get on it hard the rings really sing on the front der. Wondering if anyone has a crankset that they are using that performs really well? FWIW I am using barend shifters also and I have tried the front derailleur in all different positions and the rings still rub.

Eric

why a triple for cross use atmo?

Marburg
02-02-2006, 09:49 AM

Amen to that. My PX has crazy flex when I sprint it on the road -- but I never notice it off road....

ericspin
02-02-2006, 12:55 PM
Marburg - precisely the deal with chainring singing - you are right on. So maybe my irritation in the deal has nothing to do with that. Here is the deal - when I start my ride everytrhing is cool. About 30-45 minutes into the ride the clunking noise starts from the BB/crank area. The longer I ride the worse it gets. If I pull up on the right side pedal as I make a revolution it subsides.

As to the issue of the triple - I had it available when I built the bike. Because we do not have much cross action in Florida I really use it as an all terrain machine. I built the bike with geos very close to a touring bike so the way I use it the triple comes in handy.

Anyway, sorry I was not very clear the first time around. I really appreciate any feedback.