PDA

View Full Version : Another local rider killed

staggerwing
02-24-2014, 08:06 AM
Heard this late Saturday evening.

http://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/todd-shaw-arrested-for-fatal-union-township-accident-involving-van-bicycle-

Didn't know the gentleman, but still feel the pain. Round Bottom is a pretty country road, although it is getting far more traffic on its eastern terminus due to an ever expanding retail development.

Tone of article is refreshingly respectful towards cyclists. Also a bit surprised at quick arrest and severity of charges against the alleged perpetrator. Sadly, a conviction and jail won't roll back the day for the victim, his family or friends.

Be safe.

tiretrax
02-24-2014, 10:30 AM
Very sad. RIP. The worst part for the family is that it's the 7th charge for the driver for driving impaired. Why was that f-er allowed to drive?

EvanTA
02-24-2014, 10:37 AM
Very sad indeed. As a Cincinnati native I can attest to the love local cyclists have for that road, so the feeling for many will probably be sincere empathy as they know it could have happened to any number of us.

If anyone has any information about address for cards, or other options for support, do post. I didn't see anything on the QCW or CCC websites

gavingould
02-24-2014, 11:04 AM
so this driver clearly has a substance abuse problem, has been caught multiple times. it's really time to put a stop to this, all over the country. I don't have an answer, but three strikes should be more than enough to prevent these people from ever getting behind the wheel again.

cfox
02-24-2014, 11:14 AM
People drive with suspended licenses all the time. Just because you don't have a little plastic card with your picture on it doesn't mean you won't drive. Confiscating cars is a good idea, but burdensome I think for smaller municipalities. Makes me ill. I really hope this piece of ····e goes to prison.

tigoat
02-24-2014, 11:39 AM
It is very sad indeed with something like this hit close to home. Our thoughts and prayers go to the family of the cyclist. That SOB must pay...

professerr
02-24-2014, 12:02 PM
Tone of article is refreshingly respectful towards cyclists.

Be safe.

The tone was respectful and generally helpful to cyclists, but did you notice the that the reporter on the street started her report with an admonition to cyclists that they "must ride on the streets like your driving a car which means obey like stop signs and traffic lights in order to keep fellow drivers happy." The fact that this is the lede to a report on a drunk, hit and run killing of a cyclist who was riding legally is just appalling.