PDA

View Full Version : LOUD helmets

oddsaabs
02-23-2014, 03:40 PM
I love my Lazer Helium helmet. It's light, fits great, and even has an integrated blinky light. Only problem is it is the incredibly loud wind noise. I mean I can hardly hear myself think in this thing, forget about holding a conversation with my ride mates. I've owned plenty of different helmets over the years and never worn one that fits so great but is so damn loud!

Anyone have any suggestions.

Black Dog
02-23-2014, 03:48 PM
There are manufacturers that make little spoilers that go on the straps in front of your ears and cut down the wind noise significantly.

http://www.cat-ears.com

http://www.slipstreamz.com

AngryScientist
02-23-2014, 03:51 PM
big, bushy sideburns help too

FlashUNC
02-23-2014, 04:02 PM
Strange. I've got a Genesis and have never experienced what I would consider undue wind noise.

Veloo
02-23-2014, 04:08 PM
Just googled it and it looks like it's not uncommon and just the Helium.

RedRider
02-23-2014, 04:20 PM
The Catlike is named the Whisper for this reason...

oddsaabs
02-23-2014, 05:10 PM
There are manufacturers that make little spoilers that go on the straps in front of your ears and cut down the wind noise significantly.

I thought about those but they stop the noise generated by the straps. This noise seems to be created by the helmet itself. Still it might be worth rigging up a duct tape faring thingy on the straps just to see it would help.

Also thought about a helmet cover (Lazer makes a slick clear plastic one) but it's gotta get hot under there without airflow.

Catlike would be a good solution if they weren't so damn ugly.

rnhood
02-23-2014, 05:22 PM
The Specialized Prevail is noticeably quieter than the previous Spec S-Works, Giro and Bell helmets that I've owned. I still would not necessarily call it a quiet helmet, although its acceptable whereas the others were not.

You can order one from the Spec website and you get a 30 day money back trial. I assume the other helmets manufactures will do this too. You may have a try a few.

oddsaabs
02-23-2014, 05:43 PM
You can order one from the Spec website and you get a 30 day money back trial. I assume the other helmets manufactures will do this too. You may have a try a few.

Thats a good idea. I'd really like to keep the Lazer, but good to know there are policies like that out there.

Hey, any relation to Rodney Hood? Your both in NC, can it just be a coincidence? http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/56359/rodney-hood

rnhood
02-23-2014, 06:05 PM
Thats a good idea. I'd really like to keep the Lazer, but good to know there are policies like that out there.

Hey, any relation to Rodney Hood? Your both in NC, can it just be a coincidence? http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/56359/rodney-hood

No, I don't know him. That doesn't mean there isn't a tie in somewhere though. There isn't a lot of Hood families in NC (I think just two branches). But since Rodney is from MS, I do not think there is a relation.

evo111@comcast.net
02-23-2014, 09:20 PM
I tried the various versions of the Cat ears - plus side they work, down side I did not care for the way they looked on the helmet/strap. Vain yup but just looked a little goofy in my humble opinion.

oldpotatoe
02-24-2014, 08:11 AM
I love my Lazer Helium helmet. It's light, fits great, and even has an integrated blinky light. Only problem is it is the incredibly loud wind noise. I mean I can hardly hear myself think in this thing, forget about holding a conversation with my ride mates. I've owned plenty of different helmets over the years and never worn one that fits so great but is so damn loud!

Anyone have any suggestions.

Just kidding, this isn't an anti helmet rant

saab2000
02-24-2014, 08:14 AM
Just kidding, this isn't an anti helmet rant

You're not kidding. Those were the days! :hello:

oldpotatoe
02-24-2014, 08:17 AM
You're not kidding. Those were the days! :hello:

Rode in Va Beach in the late 80s, hot days...nice with just a hat...

saab2000
02-24-2014, 08:33 AM
Rode in Va Beach in the late 80s, hot days...nice with just a hat...

I wish for those carefree days on the bike. Riding here is extremely mediocre IMHO. I'll trade places with you any day!

I'm just here for the job, surely not for the cycling. When a better flying base is available I will take it.

oddsaabs
02-24-2014, 09:36 AM
Riding in the UK last summer I met quite a number of chaps who are militant in their opposition to riding with helmets. Caps only for these lads. They scoff at the hard shell like an NRA member looks at gun control. I occasionally envy their ability to ride "au natural." Then I think of my wife and daughter, and my two mortgages, and my patients, and the example I'd be setting to all the kids down the block by rolling out without the helmet. I strap one on every ride, even while I'm dreaming of this:

professerr
02-24-2014, 12:24 PM
I've fiddled with my helmet straps and found that a twist or two in the strap can change the airflow so that things are a bit quieter. I'm more concerned with hearing damage than chatting with folks on rides -- I'm pretty sure that the wind noise while descending is loud enough to cause damage over time.

oldpotatoe
02-24-2014, 01:12 PM
Riding in the UK last summer I met quite a number of chaps who are militant in their opposition to riding with helmets. Caps only for these lads. They scoff at the hard shell like an NRA member looks at gun control. I occasionally envy their ability to ride "au natural." Then I think of my wife and daughter, and my two mortgages, and my patients, and the example I'd be setting to all the kids down the block by rolling out without the helmet. I strap one on every ride, even while I'm dreaming of this:

I agree with everything you said except the highlighted..not your job to be an example to them, their parents job.

I do too, wife says so, wear a helmet...if I wasn't married, I would only wear one when riding in a group...

oddsaabs
02-24-2014, 01:50 PM
I hear ya.

My circumstance might be a little unique. Small town physician who knows most area kids either though the practice or coaching soccer. I'm afraid role models for some may be few and far between. Just doing my part to set a good example.