PDA

View Full Version : Touring Bikes

Wilkinson4
02-22-2014, 09:44 PM
Hey all… I'm looking for some suggestions on design or component ideas for a touring bike. Post pics if you have em.

I'm having Mark Nobilette build me a Touring bike that I will also be using as a commuter bike. I have done a few tours with the longest being 47 days on my Rivendell Rambouillet. It wasn't ideal but it did the job.

This time around I want something that is a little more purpose built… This is a bike for touring around the states, camping and staying in hotels every 3rd day or so. Eating on the road mostly…

Think Katy trail, Mikkelson trail, Adventure Cycling routes, etc…

Watcha got? Components, design ideas, front or rear load. Low front or handle bar bag, etc...

mIKE

JAGI410
02-22-2014, 10:31 PM
Front handlebar bag and rear panniers. I'd run a SON SL dynamo front hub with integrated wiring in the fork and a B&M Luxos U front light with integrated USB charging. I'd run a newer Campagnolo group, because the hoods are comfortable. Then I'd ride as long and as far as I could without my wife or work getting pissed at me. A Nobilette touring rig sounds incredible, enjoy!

Bradford
02-22-2014, 10:53 PM
I wish I were building a new touring bike, it sounds like a ton of fun. Unfortunately, mine is all the bike anybody could ever want, so the most I can justify would be a re-spray down the road. Here are my general thoughts.

Design: look at the good production touring bikes for ideas, like the IF Independence, Co-Motion (Americano and others), Bruce Gorden...etc. They have most of the design stuff figured out. You'll get good ideas on geometry, tubes, and braze ons. Just make sure you get the third water bottle braze ons, you'll need it in places like Wyoming.

Racks: Tubus racks, Airy if you have the money, Cargo (what I have) if you have a budget. Use a front low rider...I hate weight up high on the front wheel and won't ride with anything on the handle bars. I put as much weight as I can on the low riders because it makes the handling much better than loading the back. If I skip the camping and go with hotels only, I bring the front panniers and leave the rears at home.

I'm starting to mix in some Revelate bags with panniers and have been really happy. I think it might be a clever way to lighten up the load. There have a been a lot of advances in panniers since I bought my Madden Baby Buzzard Fronts and my Jannd rears, so I'm looking forward to reading any updated advice from other people on lighter options.

Wheels: If you can, get two sets of wheels, or at least two rear wheels. I have a 40 spoke Velocity Dyad/White Industries for my touring wheel, 36 CXP 33/White Industry hub for my commuting. You don't want wheel issues in the middle of nowhere...something I learned the hard way.

Components: Dependable, fixable, and available. I've always toured on a mix of Shimano XT and Ultegra. It will be a lot easier to find Shimano parts if you need to replace something on the road. I've used 9 speed for the last 15 years, but I'm in the process of swapping over to 10 speed. Get a used or NOS Ultegra 6603 or 6604 crankset and swap out the 30 for a 26 or 24 tooth ring. Starting with 6703 and DA 7800, the crank can't take anything under 30 teeth, which knocks it out for touring. I went with DA BS78 Bar End Shifters which are all you'll ever need. I don't like the black plastic on the BA79s and I think the 78s are the last ones with a friction option

Color: Make it nice, but not too pretty. You have to lock this up to trees at night and outside of supermarkets during the day. If you have pretty painted fenders and show bits, you'll freak out when you lock it up. Even if you don't scratch it, you'll be worried about someone stealing it. I like a nice subtle color, maybe some panels, but nothing flashy. I've always thought about painting a touring bike to look like a beat up 70's Sears Free Spirit, maybe with some old town or college registration stickers for good measure.

Lights: For touring, I've always brought lights, but I've never needed them, so I'd go with something light that uses replaceable batteries. However, I'm now a convert to a rear blinking light for day time running. After seeing people touring with day time running lights around Colorado, it makes a big difference in how visible they are. For commuting, I use some USB lights that work well.

Wilkinson4
02-22-2014, 11:46 PM
Thanks guys. good stuff… Keep it coming. I have got stuck riding at night so I am going with the Schmidt SON SL hub and wiring... USB charging is a great idea. I was thinking SRAM X9 and Bar ends but great point on Shimano and a stout rear wheel. On my long ride I only had 2 flats but popped several spokes on the rear wheel. I'm thinking the White Industries VBC cranks might be pretty sweet.

Paint nice but simple and plastic fenders like SKS Longboards since they breakaway, when I ride those type of rails to trails paths having a stick come up and jam is a possibility. I have never ridden with low rides or panniers. The Rambo used and handlebar bag and big saddle bag. The handling I got used to but it wasn't ideal. On my first tour, after about the one week I started sending stuff back home. I realized that on this type of tour packing for 3 days or 3 weeks is about the same.

Rivendell Rambo Setup
http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4051/4456530303_d7b124d9ab_o.jpg

I think I'll go with the low rider option… I'll talk to Mark about total weight because I do not want the bike stouter than it needs to be. Still want some spring in its step:) I also want an integrated flick stand, although that may not work with fenders.

mIKE

witcombusa
02-23-2014, 07:14 AM
You're in good hands with Mark doing your build. He does some great work and can do wonderful "extras" too. Tell him exactly what you want to do with it then set him loose, you will be happy. Don't go light on your wheelset or tire size.

Touring is great fun :banana:

oldpotatoe
02-23-2014, 07:15 AM
Hey all… I'm looking for some suggestions on design or component ideas for a touring bike. Post pics if you have em.

I'm having Mark Nobilette build me a Touring bike that I will also be using as a commuter bike. I have done a few tours with the longest being 47 days on my Rivendell Rambouillet. It wasn't ideal but it did the job.

This time around I want something that is a little more purpose built… This is a bike for touring around the states, camping and staying in hotels every 3rd day or so. Eating on the road mostly…

Think Katy trail, Mikkelson trail, Adventure Cycling routes, etc…

Watcha got? Components, design ideas, front or rear load. Low front or handle bar bag, etc...

mIKE

Racks, panniers, low rider front...bar ends..9s...simple..Good racks..nothing screws up a tour like a broken rack..good fenders(plastic) since if you get something stuck between tire and fender, the fender will break.

Didja know Mark Nobilette's niece is one of the 13 American Idol's finalists...

I know Mark well, have owned 3 of his frames...he is one of the good guys in terms of frame building...

Wilkinson4
02-23-2014, 08:05 AM
Didja know Mark Nobilette's niece is one of the 13 American Idol's finalists...

I know Mark well, have owned 3 of his frames...he is one of the good guys in terms of frame building...

No way! That is very cool. I'll ask him when I see him. I finally decided to put my money where my mouth was and go local on this. He's a good dude.

Plastic fenders check. Low rider check. 9 Speed wide range sounds good too, less dish. What rear derailleur? Maybe go Shimano XT?

mIKE

witcombusa
02-23-2014, 08:13 AM
XT changers would be a great choice. Available almost anywhere while tours.

Are you going 130 or 135mm rear spacing? Can't make the wheelset too strong. That's the major difference with loaded touring vs. credit card bikes.

vav
02-23-2014, 08:20 AM
Witcomb; that's a great setup there...looks like you can circle the globe

oldpotatoe
02-23-2014, 08:48 AM
No way! That is very cool. I'll ask him when I see him. I finally decided to put my money where my mouth was and go local on this. He's a good dude.

Plastic fenders check. Low rider check. 9 Speed wide range sounds good too, less dish. What rear derailleur? Maybe go Shimano XT?

mIKE

XT or LX, LX none Shadow, even Deore. Dish for 9s and 10s the same, easier to find MTB 9s cogs in Bumfuk, State. Cheaper too, and chains.

Bradford
02-23-2014, 08:48 AM
XT RD is a good choice. I would go with 135 spacing. You get a stronger wheel and you still have a good selection of hubs to pick from. The downside is that you can't swap wheels back and forth with your road bike.

Co-motion uses 145 spacing on the rear of their heavy touring bikes. The idea intriques me, but I think 135 and a stout wheel is enough for the job.

AngryScientist
02-23-2014, 09:07 AM
i've used both, and i prefer DT shifters to bar ends, have you decided on shifters yet, that will effect your frame braze-ons? 9-sp is the way to go for a touring rig.

AngryScientist
02-23-2014, 09:09 AM
Co-motion uses 145 spacing on the rear of their heavy touring bikes.

that sounds silly. i would want the ability to just buy a new wheel at pretty much any bike shop, no matter how remote that possibility would be.

i've now read a number of ride reports from big rides where guys killed phil wood rear hubs and really screwed up their rides, so it does happen.

JAGI410
02-23-2014, 09:14 AM
Have you thought about Retroshift shifters? All of the simplicity of bar ends in a slightly lighter and more convenient package.

pinkshogun
02-23-2014, 09:38 AM
along the same line as Retroshift but in a stem mount is this:

http://www.rivbike.com/product-p/sh15.htm

simpler cable routing than the upward exiting shifter housing of Retroshift....shimano sti shift housing exits horizintally at 9 oclock while Retro shift exits at 11oclock or so. a larger h-bag may interfer with the Retroshift housing

Wilkinson4
02-23-2014, 10:13 AM
Interesting on the shifter questions. I prefer DT but I was thinking Bar-end for this so I could keep hands on the bars.

The retroshift is an interesting idea. I remember this Ahearne bike

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3816/10693744684_c1b0f43d89_b.jpg

He knows a thing or two about touring builds.

I wonder how reliable they would be?

mIKE

witcombusa
02-23-2014, 10:44 AM
For a touring bike where you will be on it a LOT of hours, day after day, you will out of necessity use every hand position a drop bar allows to help ward off hand issues. Because of this, for me, I don't want brake hood accessed shifters. So really think about what will work best for where your hands spend their time. Also make sure your bar drop numbers will permit long comfortable periods in the bar drops. This ain't no race bike!