PDA

View Full Version : No Open House

Kevin
02-01-2006, 05:20 PM
I just received the following e-mail from Serotta. It appears that their is no official open house this year. :confused: Instead it will be held in France, where Sandy is no longer welcome. Is it possible that BBDave and Sandy scared off Ben?

I hope that another local event makes its way onto the calendar.

Kevin

We have changed our annual Open House to an every other year event. On the even years, we’ll be hosting an Owner’s Club event some place different and special… 2006 - Return to Ottrott!!

http://serotta.com/pages/owner_ottro.html

Enjoy a memorable week of fantastic cycling in the region that inspired our most successful bicycle, the Ottrott.

From June 26-July 4 we’ll be hosting 25-30 cyclists in the Alsace region of France for a low key week of great cycling, food and wine, culminating with the start of the 2006 Tour de France.

We have been fortunate to secure rooms in two great hotels (3 & 4 star, French rating system) in Ottrott, which is only about 30 miles from Strasbourg, the site of this year’s prologue and first stage start. The second stage starts in the town of Obernai, which is only 5 miles away. Both the first and second stage roll right through Ottrott!

This will be a relaxed trip. We are not promising 24hr care….however we will have two daily rides assisted by guides, with sag and snack support. Picnic lunches can be arranged on request. Speaking of requests, both hotels offer a full range of spa treatments by appointment.

The 8 day plan includes 4 group dinners, while the 4 day plan includes 3. There are so many great restaurants and wine estates to explore as well as near-by Strasbourg….we want people to be able to explore and sample without the constraints of a large group. Transportation to and from Strasbourg can be arranged with advance notice.

(Travel to France not included)

8 day plan $3000 (p/p double); $3500 single

4 day plan $2000 (p/p double): $2500 single

Rooms will be distributed on first come basis.

Payment in full must be made at the time of reservation. Trips are non-refundable without written explanation from Doctor. For further questions contact Janelle… janelle@serotta.com

See you in Ottrott!!

Get Your Registration Form NOW @ http://serotta.com/pages/owner_ottro.html

Please, do not reply to this email, questions and comments should be directed to janelle@serotta.com

Smiley
02-01-2006, 05:40 PM
What No MeiVici Italy , looks like we'll replace the Open House now with a FULL on Mid Atlantic gathering right here in Kensington Merryland . All I need is to secure the regular cast of mis-fits like Sandy, BeeMan and the rest shall follow . I am open to any suggestions for a good 3 day weekend , what say you all in the first week in June or when . Any suggestion from those that may be interested in comming and riding with us Merrylanders ??

Len J
02-01-2006, 06:04 PM
What No MeiVici Italy , looks like we'll replace the Open House now with a FULL on Mid Atlantic gathering right here in Kensington Merryland . All I need is to secure the regular cast of mis-fits like Sandy, BeeMan and the rest shall follow . I am open to any suggestions for a good 3 day weekend , what say you all in the first week in June or when . Any suggestion from those that may be interested in comming and riding with us Merrylanders ??

I'm in Europe freom the 10th to the 25th of June...outside of that...I'm in.

Len

PS..If we want a touristy area with great riding....we could do it on the Eastern Shore.....between Me & a few other Board posters, I'm sure we could fill the weekend.

Bill Bove
02-01-2006, 06:06 PM
How 'bout a gathering where there is some cycling related activity already planned? The Tour of Somerville? The Sunflower Revolution? The Jerks birthday party?

manet
02-01-2006, 06:08 PM
they killed kenny

Smiley
02-01-2006, 06:16 PM
Look Guys I am prepared to host this event , god knows we had a really BIG gathering for the BBDave visit BUT I am OPEN to any ideas , I would recurit the help of others when and if this thing takes off. I can reserve a Favorite resturant for the whole nite for the Saturday meal and we certainly can plan to meet at a designated ride start outside of DC , like Fredrick MD and do a 50-75 miler for the LONG saturday ride . Lets all chat about this and if any of you including Len J want to do it then count me in to help out. I just don't want to let a good opportunity for a gathering go to waste. IDEA's anyone ?

sc53
02-01-2006, 07:06 PM
Hey Smiley please make it in June at the earliest so I have a hope of attending at least some of the rides! My arm is healing well but doubtful I can get back on a bike before mid May. I guess I could always just man a sag wagon... :butt:

spiderman
02-01-2006, 07:07 PM
How 'bout a gathering where there is some cycling related activity already planned? The Tour of Somerville? The Sunflower Revolution? The Jerks birthday party?

tour de kota anyone?? (june11-16)

www.argusleaderbiketour.com

William
02-01-2006, 07:21 PM
What, they think they can prevent me from coming to the Open House by moving it to France????

I DON'T THINK SO!!!

I'M COMING!!!

SO TURN ON THE BURNER AND START MAKING THE OMELETTE DU FROMAGE
BECUASE I'M COMING!!!

WILLIAM

THINK THEY CAN STOP....GET A BAGETTE AND BEAT PEOPLE ABOUT THE ANKLES.....DRINK AS MUCH RED WINE.....WIN THE SPRINT INTO PAU.....VISIT THE JERK AND CEES......FRIED MARS BARS.....HAGGIS IN THE SLEEPING BAG......

;)

Rapid Tourist
02-01-2006, 07:40 PM
I'm in for the Merryland gathering. Not so sure about the Ottrott event. Sandy, you goin' to France?????

RABikes2
02-01-2006, 07:42 PM
I received an e-mail from Cycling Specifics over a week ago announcing the same. Although, I wasn't aware that it was replacing the Open House weekend. :confused:
RA
Subj: CyclingSpecifics*EXCLUSIVE Tour de France OFFER*

Want to go to France, ride and watch the Tour among friends?

Cycling Specifics is one of only a handful of international dealers to which this amazing offer has been extended, and we extend the offer to you, our deeply valued clients and friends…

Enjoy a memorable week of fantastic cycling in the region that inspired Serotta’s most successful bicycle, the Ottrott.

From June 26-July 4 Serotta will host 25-30 cyclists in the Alsace region of France for a low key week of great cycling, food and wine, culminating with the start of the 2006 Tour de France.

Deluxe lodging will be in two great hotels (3 & 4 star, French rating system) in Ottrott, which is only about 30 miles from Strasbourg, the site of this year’s prologue and first stage start. The second stage starts in the town of Obernai, which is only 5 miles away. Both the first and second stage roll right through Ottrott!

This will be a relaxed trip. There will be two daily rides assisted by guides, with sag and snack support. Picnic lunches can be arranged on request. Speaking of requests, both hotels offer a full range of spa treatments by appointment.

The eight day plan includes four group dinners, while the four day plan includes three group dinners. There are so many great restaurants and wine estates to explore as well as near-by Strasbourg….Serotta wants people to be able to explore and sample without the constraints of a large group. Transportation to and from Strasbourg can be arranged with advance notice.

(Travel to France not included)
8 day plan $3000 (p/p double); $3500 single
4 day plan $2000 (p/p double): $2500 single
Rooms will be distributed on first come basis. Trips are non-refundable without written explanation from a physician.
Payment in full must be made at the time of reservation.

*** REGISTER IN PERSON EXSCLUSIVELY AT CYCLING SPECIFICS BEFORE JANUARY 31st!! ***
Join us for this amazing opportunity to see the Tour with Ben Serotta!
See you in Ottrott!!

Laurin and Lori
CyclingSPECIFICS
403 W. WEAVER ST.
CARRBORO, NC 27510
(919) 93-FIT-31 phone
(919) 928-0701 fax
www.cyclingspecifics.com

dbrk
02-01-2006, 07:53 PM
We are very seriously considering a middle August weekend for the Finger Lakes Ramble. This would be the very informal gathering around Canandaigua and Bristol, New York to ride the roads, paved and gravel, around the Finger Lakes of Western New York. This is the perfect time of year, though days are fast growing shorter, we usually have lovely weather.

When we got together for the Tour de Finger Lakes it was all smooth road riding. This year we're thinking that we'd enjoy some unpaved links, sort of a Paris-Roubaix style pave/pavement only NOT A RACE, but rather a Ramble with about 80% pavement and 20% gravel/hardpack suitable for RolyPoly style tires or perfect for 650B. I'm planning a few sections that would seriously challenge skinny tires (23c or less), which will not be recommended.

Organization would be exactly as it was for the TdFL rides, that is, as little as is necessarily: Each individual is responsible for their lodging, food, etc. I will provide the names of local inns, advice if you need it on all logistics, the meeting places for the rides, one evening (Saturday) get together dinner at our house in Bristol, and I'd be happy to lead the way around the neighborhood. But we'll assume no liabilities nor are we a sponsored group. It's nothing more than coming out for a ride with friends: everyone is responsible for their own person. As for the rides, we'll more or less keep people together on the rides at a _very casual pace_ and everyone will be welcome who agrees to ride with the explicit intention of having an _easy_, fun, _not racy_ time. This would be fun if you want to _ramble_, smoozing with friends, sitting up, riding about four maybe five-ish hours going slow. I will not participate in any plans for alternative routes, "fast rides," or breaking up the group. Your commitment must be personally made to ride with people slower than you and think that that is really fun.

We'll have a Friday evening ride, then a long day on Saturday with a meal (curry!!) at our house in Bristol, NY, in the heart of the Finger Lakes, have a good look at a lot of old and sometimes interesting bikes, and likely the company of a few true luminaries (though I can't promise or speak for others). Saturday will be the full day with an evening, then Sunday morning and perhaps a lunch in town somewhere, like MacGregor's Pub. All of this will be more organized with times, places, and dates. But it will be a Show Up and On Your Own weekend get together. It's all quite preliminary. MORE SOON. I PROMISE. But please think about the weekend before the Deerfield Randonnee, that is, August 18-19-20.

Interest? There will be a few Tournesol bikes here in addition to lots of Serottas and, of course, my collection, if anyone cares to see. I will invite some friends with cycling experience and perhaps they'll come, if they can.

dbrk

jerk
02-01-2006, 07:55 PM
dbrk-

if you will have him, the jerk will be there.

jerk

Johny
02-01-2006, 08:14 PM
dbrk,

I would like to have the Saturday meal with jerk and new/old friends there.

christian
02-01-2006, 08:34 PM
We'll be there. I'll be riding my Pegoretti and Ivy will be riding her Vanilla. Very very very much looking forward to it. I'll bring the Riv for the rumbly dirt road, too.

- Christian

SPOKE
02-01-2006, 08:39 PM
on the trip to France. it's a good opportunity for me to experience my first trip overseas with some friends that know their way around. i'm open for a trip up to Merryland or other location sometime in august or early september.

Len J
02-01-2006, 08:41 PM
dbrk-

if you will have him, the jerk will be there.

jerk

If you'll have me also.

Len

Len J
02-01-2006, 08:42 PM
Look Guys I am prepared to host this event , god knows we had a really BIG gathering for the BBDave visit BUT I am OPEN to any ideas , I would recurit the help of others when and if this thing takes off. I can reserve a Favorite resturant for the whole nite for the Saturday meal and we certainly can plan to meet at a designated ride start outside of DC , like Fredrick MD and do a 50-75 miler for the LONG saturday ride . Lets all chat about this and if any of you including Len J want to do it then count me in to help out. I just don't want to let a good opportunity for a gathering go to waste. IDEA's anyone ?

Smiley.....I'll ride with you guys whereever......The Shore was just an alternative if you were tired of Kendington.

I'm in for what ever you organize.

Len

Bruce K
02-01-2006, 08:58 PM
My wife and I are discussing the France idea.

I am hoping to be able to go. I would like to ride in France again, this time with freinds rather than solo.

BK

Sandy
02-01-2006, 09:04 PM
I am in for any Smiley ride.

Sandy

pale scotsman
02-01-2006, 09:06 PM
FRIED MARS BARS.....HAGGIS IN THE SLEEPING BAG......[/B]
[/SIZE]

;)

Allrighty wee willie, now I'm right worried aboot ya. Maybe a night o haggis huntin' will cure yer noggin.

Sandy
02-01-2006, 09:06 PM
What could guys like me, who only have road bicycles with skinny tires, do to make your potential ride?

Skinny (tires that is) Sandy

manet
02-01-2006, 09:10 PM
group project:

http://www.steelmancycles.com/carbon%20tubes.html

dbrk
02-01-2006, 10:02 PM
I too would like to make a Smilely ride but so much depends on timing for me. I have a crazy weekend work schedule.

As for preliminary planning for a Finger Lakes Ramble, let me say that if someone (like Sandy!) wants to come but feels like they don't have a proper bike, we can seriously look into that. At the last TdFL ride my dear pal Thom Byrnes borrowed a bike as did KeithA, his pal, and I think manet too borrowed a ride one day (just to check it out, no?) Anyway, I can't promise but as the planning rolls along, if you need a bike, maybe I can help for the weekend. Our idea is to show what fun it is to ride on mixed surfaces, see the backroads a bit, and take it easy so we can just ride and breathe at the same time. More about this later.

I'd love to ride as Serotta is proposing in France though I am already committed to another engagement during their time at Ottrott. So it goes.
Perhaps at Open House in '07.

My reason to float a Finger Lakes ride here was merely to say how much fun it would be to meet up with Serotta pals since France may not be possible for some. Envy is a wonderful emotion sometimes. If you can make Ottrott, France, well, that's worth every bit of it.

dbrk

shoe
02-02-2006, 12:19 AM
dbrk- your ride seems like a good time(take in some scenery meet some new people) and i mentioned it to my girl...she seemed into it and it is already the style of riding we like to do...we are planning to do the deerfield ride so being able to get 2 weekends off in a row would be the only thing but i think we could make it work.....dave

shoe
02-02-2006, 12:20 AM
is there going to be any daybreak yoga sessions to kick it off...

William
02-02-2006, 04:30 AM
Douglas,

I would like to make FLR if you don't mind having a large Clydesdale rumbling about the group. I promise to behave...unless uncle Ahneida shows me a collection of tubesets again...... ;)

Seriously, I already have a bunch of seminars scheduled so I can't get too far from home (like France) and the FLR would be a great way to get together with old and new friends and enjoy spinning some miles. I'm a Hammerhead on my own, but when I ride with others I like to go about the pace that everyone else is enjoying. Plus it would be a good ride to break in my upcoming Zanconato "Effen" Cross bike. :banana:

William

PS: My Pale Scotts-pal,
I'm feeling ~MUCH~ better now. But hey, I'm up for Haggis hunting anytime. ;)

keno
02-02-2006, 07:03 AM
keno avec Monsieur Smiley, oui. keno avec Ben, non.

keno

Andreu
02-02-2006, 07:07 AM
After all the French bashing it is somewhat poetic that Serotta are holding an "open day" there.

And the French have the decency to name a town after a bike made in the USA.

A

flydhest
02-02-2006, 07:42 AM
And the French have the decency to name a town after a bike made in the USA.

A

ROTFLMAO

CNY rider
02-02-2006, 07:56 AM
I will be at your ramble, hopefully on a new Mariposa with all kinds of neat goodies to show off.

For other Forumites: I"m about 2 to 3 hours east of douglas in central NY. If you're coming from that direction, and want to have a stop to freshen up, perhaps carpool the rest of the way, let me know.

Tom
02-02-2006, 08:11 AM
If I remember right, frames that fit you fit me so you might have some goof showing up and wanting to go out and kick up rocks with one of your bikes that doesn't deserve that kind of treatment.

David Kirk
02-02-2006, 08:20 AM
If tall skinny folks are allowed i'll be there.

Dave

spiderman
02-02-2006, 08:44 AM
wow! what an invitation.
june tour de kota, then a meeting in hawaii
july is ragbrai
then august in the finger lakes for the first time...

...my daughter is thinking about cornell u.
(not cornell college which is in iowa)
and is considering a campus visit.
i'll have to get my map out
...i've heard it's the most beautiful campus
in the world...!?!

Bradford
02-02-2006, 09:41 AM
...my daughter is thinking about cornell u.
(not cornell college which is in iowa)
and is considering a campus visit.
i'll have to get my map out
...i've heard it's the most beautiful campus
in the world...!?!

I spent a few years in Ithaca and know it well. Cornell is definitely close enough to DBRK's house and it would be a great idea to combine the trips. It is also a great drive through the countryside to get there.

The Cornell campus is nice, but you were misinformed about it being the most beautiful in the world. That distinction is bestowed on a campus 1 1/2 hours to the east in the Chenango Valley, Colgate University, alma mater of gentleman and scholars like Bruce K. :D

Birddog
02-02-2006, 09:46 AM
Although I was not able to ride there, I can vouch for the beauty and serenity of the area around Ottrott. I had lunch at what I'm sure will be one of the Hotels on the Serotta trip, it was definitely first class. I had the "special of the day" which was a 3 course meal featuring wild boar and some other stuff I cannot either pronounce or spell, and it was all outstanding. The Hotel, appeard to be very nice, I remember thinking that I would love to be able to spend a few nights there.
The riding there should have a fair amount of up and down, Ottrott is situated on the Eastern flank of the Vosges Mtns. The climbs won't be like alpine passes, but they will be memorable. If the itinerary has a climb up to St Odile, that ought to be great. I'm sure no one will be disappointed no matter what the routes selected will be. If you're on the fence about joining the group, I'd say say go for it if you have the $$$. BTW, the food served in the area is Alsatian, very different from what most would consider "French" and very distinctive. Some of the dishes have a definite "German" element with sauerkraut, sausages, and potatoes featured. I didn't have a meal that I didn't really like but then I'll eat damn near anything.

Birddog

Climb01742
02-02-2006, 11:00 AM
i'd sure dig riding in douglas' neck of the woods, meeting him and fellow forum-ites, and seeing douglas' stable but unfortunately i have a previous engagement on august 19th with a rather large-ish rockpile. :crap:

dehoopta
02-02-2006, 12:11 PM
I would LOVE to do the offshore Open House in France, but I have a previous obligation.....paying rent, student loans, kids tuition. I just don't have the jack for it, but would LOVE it.

I doubt I could get out to the east coast, but am willing to work on something for the Sunflower Revolution of anyone is interested in coming to the "nati".

BumbleBeeDave
02-02-2006, 12:23 PM
Smiley-Palooza in DC in early June, then Retro-Ramble in western NY in early August sounds like great timing to let almost everybody meet somebody else from the forum sometime during the warmer months.

dbrk, you might keep in mind that the Finger Lakes MS ride is currently skedded for august 19-20, from rochester to Seneca Falls and back. I don't know if they are planning to pass through the Republic of Brooksonia (i.e., Canandaigua) or not.

BBD

Sandy
02-02-2006, 12:54 PM
I understand now that the Republic of Brooksonia is an ever expanding empire, with dbrk grabbing land at an extraordinary rate. State records indicate that he already controls upwards of 800,000 acres, with plans on rapidly acquiring massive parcels of land.

Some say that dbrk has totally lost control, and is about to sell most of his existing bikes to purchase more parcels. Recently dbrk was quoted as saying " I won't stop until I own it all, including Manhattan."

When complete, Brooksonia will be paradise, as cars will be permanently banned. Only cyclists, roller bladers, and pedestrians will be allowed to use the streets and highways.

We will have to address dbrk as King dbrk, but that will be ok. He will have earned it. The world will be a better place. Well, at least NY will be! :) :)

Simple Sandy

BumbleBeeDave
02-02-2006, 01:44 PM
. . . if we're not allowed to ride our bikes faster than 10 mph, then how much of a paradise could it be????

(All apologies to Douglas!)

BBD