PDA

View Full Version : New KB Tri

K Bedford
02-21-2014, 09:25 PM
OK so, seems the picture of the new frame we did stirred some stuff up, mostly positive, some questioning and some not so positive.
I usually stay away from forums because it's just not me and it makes me feel like what I imagine it's like to walk barefoot and blindfolded through a cow pasture.
But, in this case I think it's warranted to explain the thought's behind this model as my friend Dave Kirk has suggested.
By now it's pretty obvious that I've moved outside of doing only classic brazed frames and I'm offering bikes in different materials and construction as part of growing my business.
One area I hadn't been able to address but was being was Triathlon.
Not that we couldn't do Tri geometry but in the materials we were working in there were no "Aero" tubes available.
After doing some research it became obvious that aluminum was the only material in existing aero tubes without having to develop proprietary tubes which is out of the question at this time.
I'm also not willing to just bring in one of many existing carbon Tri frames that can easily be had form overseas simply by choosing from a catalog, getting them here and slapping my name on it.
My frames are all custom and please let's not even get into the validity of the custom argument.....and they're all built here in Greenfield NY.
I'm not going to say this bike was created to compete with the the big dogs with unlimited R&D budgets, it's not.
It was designed as an offering for those 15% of the folks that truly cannot be properly fit on an off the rack bike and was designed with effective aerodynamic characteristics not absolute cutting edge aerodynamics.
I'm hoping this is a good fit for those that are taking the next step moving from a road bike marginally set up for Tri to something more serious that won't break the bank, and it's done as a custom fit.
That said there were a few points brought up in the previous post that should be addressed.
The choice of the the head tube to accommodate the 44mm headset fitment: A lot of Tri bike designs have rather short heat tubes to begin with so on really small frames or ones that require a low front position the slim stack headsets that allow for more flexibility in design and also a smoother transition from head tube to fork. Contrary to what the thought may be the head tube on this frame is the same relative width or smaller than the head tubes on the super slick big box bikes.
The head tube is a rather short piece of the frame whaen referring to frontal area than the down tube and especially the seat tube.

Graphics: As always graphics are totally subjective. My main objective as a builder is to build a specific customer their dream bike as it is in their minds eye. This version of the logo will be offered as regular alternative to the original on any of my bikes.
In the past I've had a few people who really didn't care for my original logo style and this was one that was chosen (by the customer) to address that and since being used on a number of other customers frames it has met with more likes than not.
in the case of the recent Tri frame the paint scheme was specified by the customer and she loves it....home run.

What constitutes a "Master Builder": This question get raised not often, but enough that it's irritating.
I hate to sound callous but I don't know and really don't care.
I don't like to claim this title, am not comfortable with the term and if I'm introduced or referred to as such I'll more often than not say "no I'm just an old frame builder".
I suppose it comes down to accumulated knowledge and hands on experience.
I have as much experience as anybody out there and am very confident in my knowledge and skills as a frame designer and builder.
That's all that I can lay claim to.

Sorry for the length of the post but since I don't post often I must just store it up
KB

Louis
02-21-2014, 09:38 PM
Kelly, thanks for posting.

I get the cow pasture analogy, but I think the vast majority of the folks around here are just curious and happy to hear from or interact with the builders who honor us with their presence.

Keep up the great work and don't be a stranger. :)

AngryScientist
02-21-2014, 10:11 PM
thanks for chiming in KB.

i for one am excited and happy to be part of a forum that features the banner sponsors and participation of veterans like KB and the others who make this place great.

cheers.

happycampyer
02-21-2014, 10:23 PM
I don't like to claim this title, am not comfortable with the term and if I'm introduced or referred to as such I'll more often than not say "no I'm just an old frame builder".

Kelly,

Your comment reminds me of a classic comment from Sr. Round:

Dario Pegoretti—Smoked Out (http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f11/dario-pegoretti-4292-46.html#post345829)*

It's always great to hear directly from the source what goes into a particular design—thanks for posting.

*This was part of a very funny exchange where someone was posting that the Falz fork was made by Trigon, and Dario Pegoretti (who posts here and on VSalon as "Round") was questioning the poster, saying that he knew that the fork was not made by Trigon, but the poster kept challenging Dario ("if you know something interesting,please tell us,otherwise let answer someone else"), not knowing that Round was Dario.

oldpotatoe
02-22-2014, 07:18 AM
OK so, seems the picture of the new frame we did stirred some stuff up, mostly positive, some questioning and some not so positive.
I usually stay away from forums because it's just not me and it makes me feel like what I imagine it's like to walk barefoot and blindfolded through a cow pasture.
But, in this case I think it's warranted to explain the thought's behind this model as my friend Dave Kirk has suggested.
By now it's pretty obvious that I've moved outside of doing only classic brazed frames and I'm offering bikes in different materials and construction as part of growing my business.
One area I hadn't been able to address but was being was Triathlon.
Not that we couldn't do Tri geometry but in the materials we were working in there were no "Aero" tubes available.
After doing some research it became obvious that aluminum was the only material in existing aero tubes without having to develop proprietary tubes which is out of the question at this time.
I'm also not willing to just bring in one of many existing carbon Tri frames that can easily be had form overseas simply by choosing from a catalog, getting them here and slapping my name on it.
My frames are all custom and please let's not even get into the validity of the custom argument.....and they're all built here in Greenfield NY.
I'm not going to say this bike was created to compete with the the big dogs with unlimited R&D budgets, it's not.
It was designed as an offering for those 15% of the folks that truly cannot be properly fit on an off the rack bike and was designed with effective aerodynamic characteristics not absolute cutting edge aerodynamics.
I'm hoping this is a good fit for those that are taking the next step moving from a road bike marginally set up for Tri to something more serious that won't break the bank, and it's done as a custom fit.
That said there were a few points brought up in the previous post that should be addressed.
The choice of the the head tube to accommodate the 44mm headset fitment: A lot of Tri bike designs have rather short heat tubes to begin with so on really small frames or ones that require a low front position the slim stack headsets that allow for more flexibility in design and also a smoother transition from head tube to fork. Contrary to what the thought may be the head tube on this frame is the same relative width or smaller than the head tubes on the super slick big box bikes.
The head tube is a rather short piece of the frame whaen referring to frontal area than the down tube and especially the seat tube.

Graphics: As always graphics are totally subjective. My main objective as a builder is to build a specific customer their dream bike as it is in their minds eye. This version of the logo will be offered as regular alternative to the original on any of my bikes.
In the past I've had a few people who really didn't care for my original logo style and this was one that was chosen (by the customer) to address that and since being used on a number of other customers frames it has met with more likes than not.
in the case of the recent Tri frame the paint scheme was specified by the customer and she loves it....home run.

What constitutes a "Master Builder": This question get raised not often, but enough that it's irritating.
I have as much experience as anybody out there and am very confident in my knowledge and skills as a frame designer and builder.

Sorry for the length of the post but since I don't post often I must just store it up
KB

Good post and as one who worked in a tri specific shop in 1996 or so, tri bikes are often just big pairs of shoes to tri people. Other tri people say the bike is the thing that connects the swim to the run..necessary evil. I don't know of hardly any cyclists that entered and were very successful in tri's..lots of swimmers and runners...

So when a gent such as yourself can design and build a bike/frame that gets the job done, gets the ride over with and due to great fit, means they can actually run..good for you.

Since this is a cycling forum and as such, lots of focus on time trials and that gadgetry and whizbangery, the use and utility of great fitting 'bikes' in triathlon sometimes gets lost.

Climb01742
02-22-2014, 07:35 AM
Kelly,

Thank you for taking the time to give us some of this bike's backstory. No one can explain it as well as you do. As more people learn about your frames, learning about you and your ideas, from you, may prove invaluable. You were the man behind the scenes once. Now with your own brand, being out front once in awhile could reap some good rewards.

Out in the cow pasture, it's true there are some sh**ts, but it's also where all the green grass is.;)

rugbysecondrow
02-22-2014, 08:42 AM
Good post and as one who worked in a tri specific shop in 1996 or so, tri bikes are often just big pairs of shoes to tri people. Other tri people say the bike is the thing that connects the swim to the run..necessary evil. I don't know of hardly any cyclists that entered and were very successful in tri's..lots of swimmers and runners...

So when a gent such as yourself can design and build a bike/frame that gets the job done, gets the ride over with and due to great fit, means they can actually run..good for you.

Since this is a cycling forum and as such, lots of focus on time trials and that gadgetry and whizbangery, the use and utility of great fitting 'bikes' in triathlon sometimes gets lost.

This. OP gets it.

Pete Mckeon
02-22-2014, 12:57 PM
Known him longer than some here had been on the earth (no not most:):))

He is a true artisan!:bike::banana: PETE

"What constitutes a "Master Builder": This question get raised not often, but enough that it's irritating.

Sorry for the length of the post but since I don't post often I must just store it up"
KB

93legendti
02-22-2014, 01:23 PM
I think everyone can agree on KB's talent and ability. I agree with KB's response to the phrase "master builder". A former boss of mine used to say "don't try to prove absolutely what you don't have to prove positively". The issue of wether or not he is a "master builder" becomes a side show. I don't think pushing the title adds anything or sways anyone to buy a KB bike.

Even if KB wasn't a "master builder", if he can build the bike I want in the material of my choice, that's enough. From what I have seen of KB bikes and the Serottas I have owned and still owned, the bikes speak for themselves. Ditto for the offerings of Dave Kirk, Tom Kellogg and Carl Strong. I've bought bikes from them and I would do it again.

SamIAm
02-22-2014, 02:44 PM
Kelly has built me some awesome bikes. If such a title as master builder exists, he's one.

Bruce K
02-22-2014, 02:47 PM
My Bedford is an absolutely beautiful piece of rolling art. The custom lug work he did is fantastic.

The best part is that it rides even better than it looks.

BK

Cat3roadracer
02-22-2014, 07:30 PM
First class.

JAGI410
02-22-2014, 08:04 PM
To be honest, I wasn't aware of Bedford bikes before joining Paceline, but I have been extremely impressed with all of the works that I've seen. Now tri bikes aren't my gig, nor is aluminum for that matter, but to see the crossover between styles and materials further enhanced my impression of Kelly as a builder. When I'm ready for a custom bike, KB is on the short list.

jmeloy
02-22-2014, 08:38 PM
I've made one mistake with the custom bikes I've been fortunate enough to have built, and that was selling my Bedford.

firerescuefin
02-23-2014, 06:37 AM
Great reply.

Thanks KB.

jlwdm
02-23-2014, 07:59 AM
Kelly is a great builder in a variety of frames and materials. I am pleased to see him address the "master builder" title. I think the continuous use of this undefined term by someone promoting Kelly's frames has hurt the Bedford brand.

Jeff

Ahneida Ride
02-23-2014, 08:55 AM
The mechanic at my Ford Dealership has a patch on his
uniform that states "Master Senior Technician" I have not seen that
patch on his fellow colleagues at the dealership. and they all dress
in uniform with patches.

He has kept my 15 year old truck (200K miles) truck running quite well.

Doesn't mean that other mechanics could have not duplicated such
exemplary wrenching. Maybe they could.

Smiley
02-23-2014, 11:26 AM
Kelly is a great builder in a variety of frames and materials. I am pleased to see him address the "master builder" title. I think the continuous use of this undefined term by someone promoting Kelly's frames has hurt the Bedford brand.

Jeff

Hey Jeff, When I first worked at Serotta (1995) and you called the answering machine voice said if you want to leave a message for Master Frame builder Kelly Bedford press 3. Some folks hold people in high regard especially in various cultures around the world, we tend to call folks Doctor even though they are not a real doctor nor had they slept in a Holiday Inn.
So if you want to take a swipe at me go ahead but I think what I have done for the Bedford brand here locally speaks volumes in terms of putting folks on his working master pieces. Oh I guess we can't use that word either right. So hurting the brand by paying respect to a guy as his peers at Serotta did when he worked there is just a show of respect.