PDA

View Full Version : Dura-ace brifter advice

axel23
02-21-2014, 06:54 PM
Hardly a new topic, but looking for a solution I may have missed.

My 7700 right shifter won't downshift unless I hold the brake lever (outer shifter in place). Then it works fine, otherwise, nada. I flushed it, relubed it, put in new cables and housing, still nothing. Took it to Mellow Johnny's, they did the same thing all over again, still nada.

Get another 7700? Find someone who can rebuild it? Or is there something I missed? Another solution?

oldpotatoe
02-21-2014, 07:15 PM
Hardly a new topic, but looking for a solution I may have missed.

My 7700 right shifter won't downshift unless I hold the brake lever (outer shifter in place). Then it works fine, otherwise, nada. I flushed it, relubed it, put in new cables and housing, still nothing. Took it to Mellow Johnny's, they did the same thing all over again, still nada.

Get another 7700? Find someone who can rebuild it? Or is there something I missed? Another solution?

Common failure mode for these levers. Cannot be rebuilt with new parts, none supplied by shimano then or now.

I recommend replacement.

TimD
02-21-2014, 07:17 PM
Conventional 'wisdom' is that Shimano brifter ailments, if not fixed by the clean/relube cycle, are 100% terminal. I'm not sure that's true. One apparent truth is that replacement parts are not available, though donor levers with different ailments might be cannibalized for parts.

Someone gave me a brokent DA 7701 left lever the other day. I disassembled it, noticed it was missing a critical screw, and thought I could fix it were I to locate the same or similar screw. Unfortunately during reassembly a pawl spring launched a key pawl somewhere downrange in my workshop. I haven't found it yet. So this remains an experiment in progress.

You've probably found this (http://www.norvil.net/pedal/service/shimanosti/) already. I found it pretty helpful, but requiring careful study.

A Forumite agreed to send me a broken donor lever, but hasn't done so yet, possibly out of concerns I'll fix it and flip it. I don't have the time, patience, or need for that, but I would like to know I could disassemble and reassemble a lever to a working state should I have to.

Good luck!

ultraman6970
02-21-2014, 07:22 PM
WOW nice picture, no wonder the italian design is simpler, they just changed the action of the indexing system and ready to go... japanese made a bunch of stuff too hard to comprehend :P

texbike
02-21-2014, 07:25 PM
Another option is a set of polished lever 5700s. They cost $150ish, provide 10 speed capabilities, supply hidden brake cable routing, and look great with the rest of the 7700 group. Of course it would require a 10 speed cassette and chain to complete the package.

texbike

Ti Designs
02-21-2014, 07:35 PM
Shimano levers are like the worlds funniest joke

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gpjk_MaCGM

Knowing how all the pieces fit together could be lethal. One man found out how two of the parts fit in and wound up in hospital.

Dura-Ace STI can only be put together by teams of japanese ex-house wives, and each one is only allowed to know how their part fits in.

sales guy
02-21-2014, 07:45 PM
I've rebuilt many of these. Two pair in the last couple months. If you want someone to strip and check, and if able to be rebuilt while working, let me know.

dana_e
02-21-2014, 08:24 PM
campy

EPOJoe
02-21-2014, 08:58 PM
Had a similar problem when trying to downshift with a 7400 brifter. Didn't exactly fix it, but I found that if I also applied forward pressure on the inner lever while I was downshifting, it would shift correctly.

Louis
02-21-2014, 08:58 PM
If I were you I'd clean off a corner of my workbench, take it apart and see what there is to see. You might get lucky.

Get Lucky (Mark Knopfler) (http://youtu.be/yZyaMWxuOog)

AgilisMerlin
02-21-2014, 09:47 PM
Shimano levers are like the worlds funniest joke

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gpjk_MaCGM

Knowing how all the pieces fit together could be lethal. One man found out how two of the parts fit in and wound up in hospital.

Dura-Ace STI can only be put together by teams of japanese ex-house wives, and each one is only allowed to know how their part fits in.

Oh shyt' / dead on / bravo Sir ...

Give me barcons

axel23
03-04-2014, 06:37 PM
I had all but given up on the shifter and was about to buy a new set. See the post from Salesguy below. I sent him my shifter, he found the problem, cleaned it, and sent it back. Works perfectly now. Price more than reasonable. Prompt shipping and courteous interaction.
Kudos to Salesguy (and to the Forum) for saving me $$$.
:banana: