PDA

View Full Version : Platform pedals for numb feet ?

Dale Alan
02-21-2014, 04:13 AM
I have some issues with my feet that are forcing me to go with platform pedals from now on . I was hoping to hear some real world experience from anyone that uses them to help narrow down my search. My feet are numb,so I am looking for something large enough so I can tell I have a pedal under my foot .I have more feeling towards my heel. I wear open back shoes(Croc style) which does not help pedal matters . I am thinking maybe something with replaceable studs to hold my foot in place . I don't ever stand in the pedals,but I want to feel secure so good sharp studs would be ideal.I am just wondering if they are all about the same,or one maker is better than the other ? Looks do not matter,nor does weight . Any ideas would be appreciated.

Ken Robb
02-21-2014, 06:36 AM
Rivendell usually has a few good flat pedals. I like MKS Touring and "Grip King" models. They work really well with Topsiders or other shoes with rubber soles that are not heavily lugged. I haven't needed to add spikes to my Grip Kings.

Exonerv
02-21-2014, 06:39 AM
I picked up a pair of the Black-Ops Nylo-Pro Pedals for my MTB and I've got to say I really like them. From my reading they are nearly identical to the one's made by Deity and were more readily available.

They are light, have a huge platform, stick like glue, don't show scratches, have replaceable pins, come in a variety of colors, and are fully rebuildable. Hard to beat for <$45.

That being said, while they look fine on my MTB, I can't really picture them on one of my road bikes.

charliedid
02-21-2014, 06:51 AM
Hi Dale,

Can I ask if it's a chronic issue that goes beyond riding a bike? Either way, I have a pedal you should check out. They even come in two sizes.

http://www.ergon-bike.com/us/en/product/pc2

Nooch
02-21-2014, 07:03 AM
Hi Dale,

Can I ask if it's a chronic issue that goes beyond riding a bike? Either way, I have a pedal you should check out. They even come in two sizes.

those are interesting!

charliedid
02-21-2014, 07:09 AM
those are interesting!

They are indeed. I was skeptical until I tried them at the shop. They are heavy but they are amazing. You can't believe how 'connected' and efficient you feel for a flat pedal.

Ergon is doing really cool stuff.

Gummee
02-21-2014, 07:10 AM
Numb feet and platform pedals sound backwards. Your feet are going to bend the wrong way when you're pressing on the pedals unless you're riding in cycling shoes. If you're riding in cycling shoes, going with flat pedals isn't the best idea.

May want to talk to a sports doctor.

I'm not an MD, nor do I play one on TV

M

Dale Alan
02-21-2014, 07:59 AM
Hi Dale,

Thanks for the ideas everyone .

Charliedid,

Those pedals look very interesting . I have never heard of them. I am willing to try anything. I will have to go back to that link and research them more.

Yes,it is chronic and goes beyond cycling . Diabetes is trying to kick my butt,but I'm putting up a fight . Last summer I used clips and Clipless, . I just don't have the feeling/control to get out safely . It is hard to describe,but I fell a few times just trying to dismount in a hurry. My feet are just a little slower than my brain expects them to be. I have found if I am on a flat pedal I have the time to see my foot land on the ground which makes all the difference so I can brace myself correctly . I try to describe this by saying I am walking/riding by "memory" . My body adjusts,it just takes a second or two to catch up. Could be worse.

RedRider
02-21-2014, 08:08 AM
It's tough to make suggestions without more info on your foot issue. The wrong solution might aggravate the problem. Work with your Doctor or practitioner and make sure she/he understands your ailment and your desire to ride your bicycle.
Shimano makes a few "touring" shoes that have spd cleat options and they make spd pedals with large platforms.
Good luck.

charliedid
02-21-2014, 08:12 AM
Thanks for the ideas everyone .

Charliedid,

Those pedals look very interesting . I have never heard of them. I am willing to try anything. I will have to go back to that link and research them more.

Yes,it is chronic and goes beyond cycling . Diabetes is trying to kick my butt,but I'm putting up a fight . Last summer I used clips and Clipless, . I just don't have the feeling/control to get out safely . It is hard to describe,but I fell a few times just trying to dismount in a hurry. My feet are just a little slower than my brain expects them to be. I have found if I am on a flat pedal I have the time to see my foot land on the ground which makes all the difference so I can brace myself correctly . I try to describe this by saying I am walking/riding by "memory" . My body adjusts,it just takes a second or two to catch up. Could be worse.

I had a hunch that was the issue. Hang in there and really give the Ergon pedals a look. I have worked with other customers in same and similar situations. The thing about the Ergon is it has the same if not a better feeling of security as a wide platform pedal but because of its design it is actually easier to get your foot off.

In the end it's about riding your bike not riding pedals so whatever works is 'best'...

Cheers

cp43
02-21-2014, 08:19 AM
I have a set of the Riv grip kings mentioned above. I'm not a big fan, they are long, but not very wide. They're especially narrow right near the spindle.

I also have a set of what Riv calls "RMX" pedals, I like those much more than the grip kings. They also have pedals they call the "Thin Gripster" which I don't have, but like the look of.

I have some cheap Dimension branded flat pedals that I really like. Very basic, cast aluminium, I think.

I'm not sure if this applies in your case, but I have found that more arch support in my shoes makes a big difference to foot comfort. It might be worth looking into.

Good luck getting this sorted out.

Chris

bobswire
02-21-2014, 08:35 AM
Alan, competitive cyclists have the ergon pedals at a good price http://www.competitivecyclist.com/ergon-pc2-pedal?CMP_SKU=ERG0038&MER=0406&CMP_ID=PLA_GOc014&mv_pc=r101&mr:trackingCode=90052B7C-75B4-E111-805D-001B21BCB944&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=45815676585&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=65628326505&mkwid=sXe68FFxX_dc|pcrid|45815676585&origin=pla&gclid=CKem__q33bwCFUxp7Aodc2QABg

moose8
02-21-2014, 08:39 AM
I've had good luck with the mks lambda pedal. I've used it on my winter commuter for a few years without needing any sort of servicing

Dale Alan
02-21-2014, 08:41 AM
Thanks for the info and encouragement everyone,much appreciated .I was hoping to get some real world advice.My rides are short these days, so not being physically attached to the bike is just fine . Just getting out there is all I care about . I will now take the time to research your suggestions.

deaddog
02-21-2014, 08:43 AM
When you guys use these platform pedals do you also use clips and straps? I don't necessarily want to strap down tight but I like front cage that keeps my foot from slipping forward. And can anyone direct me to any empirical data that shows the efficiency/power differences between pedalling with clipless, straps, and platforms w/o straps, preferably in a non-racing, recreational riding situation.

Thanks

eddief
02-21-2014, 08:52 AM
Can use cleats or not. I have used them both ways. Surprisingly well integrated cleat with platform on cleat side of pedal.

http://www.pricepoint.com/Brand/Wellgo/Wellgo-WAM-D10-Pedals.axd?src=DEFAULT1&gclid=CPn54-m73bwCFVJcfgod9E8ADw

Oh yeah, and removeable studs on non-cleat side.

JAGI410
02-21-2014, 09:04 AM
Check out the VP pedals from Ocean Air Cycles. Rob has some great comparison pics/measurements to help you decide on his website.

For MTB/winter use I love my Fyxation Mesa pedals, but for my roadie/townie/rando bikes I'd prefer something like the VP's.

bigman
02-21-2014, 03:49 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sunlite-Alloy-Cruiser-Bicycle-Pedals-Rubber-Grip-9-16-Commute-Road-Fixed-/360612842354?pt=US_Pedals&hash=item53f6334b72

Cheap and excellent

pinkshogun
02-21-2014, 04:48 PM
http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/components/pedals/vo-deep-half-clips.html

Dale Alan
02-21-2014, 05:28 PM
Thanks again everyone,many great options. I need to do some reading now.This gives me something to look forward to.My wife and kids are happy to hear I am finally coming to my senses.

Pinkshogun,

I thought half clips might be the answer . I tried them but they caused just enough friction to irritate my toes.I can't feel it until its too late and I get blisters without knowing.

rippledabs
02-21-2014, 07:08 PM
You can use the simple toe clips. My wife was using them when she first started mountain biking for fear of falling over from clipless.

It doesn't really hold your feet in for a strong upstroke, but you can push forward at the top of the stroke. The big benefit is that your feet will always be in the same position. You don't have to shuffle your feet around every time you get on your bike.

http://www.rei.com/product/752211/?cm_mmc=cse_PLA-_-pla-_-product-_-7522110019&wellgo-mt-10-strapless-toeclips,-black&preferredSku=7522110019&mr:trackingCode=2F8D071B-81F9-DE11-BAE3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=20834159080&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=39033443680&msid=z5kbDRVU_dc|pcrid|20834159080|&{copy:s_kwcid}

ultraman6970
02-21-2014, 07:12 PM
If clipless is giving you problems why dont just go straight with toe clip pedals with crocks or whatever the shoe he wants to use? He doesnt need to actually use the straps but the pedaling will be way more stable than using nothing.